Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Nintendo is finally giving up on 3D (for now).

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/199129/Nintendos_new_2DS_is_a_3DS_minus_one_dimension.php

Nintendo of America made the surprise announcement today that it will be introducing the Nintendo 2DS in October.

The 2DS is described by Nintendo as an "entry-level" handheld that can play all Nintendo 3DS games – minus one dimension, of course.

It will launch on October 12 for $129.99, the same day as the release of Pokemon X and Y. The new handheld will be available in blue and red.

Form factor-wise, it has no hinge – Nintendo calls it a "slate" style. The company will offer carrying cases for $13 to help protect the otherwise exposed screens.

The handheld has essentially the same features as the 3DS, including backwards compatibility with DS titles and wi-fi, access to the eShop digital storefront.

Nintendo also announced a price drop on the Wii U to $299.99, effective September 20.

tl;dr: The 2DS is a 3DS but with no 3D feature and it's cheaper.

Nintendo has tried the whole 3D before. Virtual Boy comes to mind. Hopefully this sends a signal to all industries that 3D is shit and they'll give up on this head-ache inducing gimmick.

DragoFireheart

EDIT: although the lack of a hinge is a stupid design decision

Yeah looks like Nintendo can't help but include stupid design choices. They probably removed the hinge to make it cheaper to produce.

Renegen

Arcane
Interesting. But nothing's cheap with Nintendo, they release new versions of their hardware every year. I bet used 3DS's can be found for a good price.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
This is just a budget version for parents to buy their kids to help boost them Pokemans sales in a few months. I doubt Nintendo is ditching the 3D, the upcoming Zelda game was designed with it in mind.

Delterius

Arcane
Once again, Nintendo's evil genius is only surpassed by the guy who invented Skylanders. They aren't giving up on 3D, they are reselling the same piece of hardware in yet another way. So beyond the smaller, bigger, more colourful, less colourful and limited edition versions, you've got the same but less version.

DragoFireheart

This is just a budget version for parents to buy their kids to help boost them Pokemans sales in a few months. I doubt Nintendo is ditching the 3D, the upcoming Zelda game was designed with it in mind.

If the new Zelda requires 3D, I won't buy the new Zelda.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter

I don't know if it can be turned off or not, but the director did say that Link turning into a drawing and camera angle changes were results of experimenting with the 3D features.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

How would it "require" it? Stupid "hit the thing most in front" boss fights? Even they are not that stupid.

EDIT: Fat Dragon from the gameplay I've see it was nothing that would not work in 2D.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
EDIT: although the lack of a hinge is a stupid design decision

Yeah looks like Nintendo can't help but include stupid design choices. They probably removed the hinge to make it cheaper to produce.

Nah, I'll bet two things influenced this decision: reports on where most defects are found on the devices (at the hinge) and the overall acceptance of tablets (that is, people aren't adverse to a larger footprint device/these aren't just kids carrying them around in their back pocket as would be assumed.)

And Black and White 1 & 2 would play on a DS, but they announced X&Y would only play on 3DS. Well, they have a cheaper version of the 3DS for those who wouldn't normally upgrade to play a game. But damn, this thing looks ugly.

hw-2ds.png

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
It looks liked the rape child of a DS and Gameboy.

Also, 2DS is a terrible name and will likely cause confusion with consumers. Should have just called it the 3DS Jr. or something.

DragoFireheart

Also, 2DS is a terrible name and will likely cause confusion with consumers. Should have just called it the 3DS Jr. or something.

Wait wut? Why is 2DS a bad name? 3DS jr. would be more confusing as it implies it still has 3D tech.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter

Wait wut? Why is 2DS a bad name? 3DS jr. would be more confusing as it implies it still has 3D tech.
Because this has already proven to be a problem for Nintendo. A lot of people still think the Wii U is just a new controller for Wii and not an entirely new console. And before the 3DS took off, they thought it was just the same old DS with 3D gimmick, causing poor sales, as well as some people buying 3DS games for regular DS and then complaining when they didn't work.

At least with the 3DS in the product's title you'd know exactly what it does and what games it supports. 2DS will know doubt confuse dumb parents, which is bad because this new model is made specifically with children in mind.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Is $50 that great of a saving that people would consider getting this thing over a regular 3DS? Does it come with a toast decal?

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Seems like a weird design, having the main buttons by the top screen, instead of the touch screen.

Still, the 3D was never a good feature, but it can be easily disabled.

deuxhero

Arcane
Remember than budget PSP model with no wi-fi and one speaker?

Neither do I!

This is hardly indicative of some massive failure or policy shift, it's just a "budget" version.

:Flash:

Arcane
Why does this thing still have a stereo camera if it has no 3d?

Also, this reminds me of the N-Gage. Only instead of sidetalkin' it's brickgamin'.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom