Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Nintendo is finally giving up on 3D (for now).

Machocruz

Arcane
Nintendo would do so much better, and always does better, if they just release a console that is a box to play games with, at a reasonable price. Stop with the expensive, gimmicky hardware and fruity game concepts. No one cares about watercolor Zeldas. They want Metroid that is more Alien and less Not Without My Daughter. They want 2D Mario with some actual effort and production values put in it. Starfox where you stay in the Arwing. Something new that wasn't inspired by daughter's pajama party or the like. Something 'p. cool' instead of 'nice.' Tell Jap third parties to chill with the uber-animu crap if they want to sell in the west, unless that animu is like Studio Ghibli classics or Lodoss War.

People are pretty forgiving if you get with the program. FFS, you can't even get on FFXIV ARR servers half the time, and that's after the complete cock-up of the original release. But the game looks like it has classic FF shit that appeals to more people than Nomura fashion masturbation does.

I would kill for a Zelda that used the mechanics from Twilight Princess, the open-endedness of the first zelda game, and the size of Daggerfall.
I would kill for another 2D top down Zelda. Link's Awakening Part Deux.

I'd take either, as long as they cut down on the amount of time spent talking to goofy NPCs, upped the difficulty, brought back the mystery, and a more 'european' visual style. Something along the lines of Katsuya Terada's illos for 2

Dexter

Arcane
Don't forget 3DS is really only selling well in weaboo land.

Yes, because 8 million in the U.S compared to 11 million in Japan is so horrible.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/04/18/3ds-sales-1-million-ahead-of-ds-record-in-u-s-3639544/

God you are going insane.
Don't believe PR, bro. Their sales aren't anywhere near where they would like them.
npd_handheld_1sthalf7ebr4.png

More importantly though they are trending towards declining and not increasing sales: http://washpost.bloomberg.com/Story?docId=1376-MQOYQ26TTDSA01-4ENL2E8GTL74P8INUOG2F2IN6K
Nintendo posted valuation gain from its foreign reserves, and the company affirmed its forecast for operating income of 100 billion yen and net income of 55 billion yen in the 12 months ending March.

“I don’t think Nintendo can achieve its commitment of 100 billion yen because it has no way to improve,” said Mitsushige Akino, chief fund manager at Ichiyoshi Asset Management Co. in Tokyo. “It cannot go back to the age when the Wii and DS sold well as there now are many devices for killing time, such as smartphones and tablets.”

Smartphones Surge

The company sold 1.4 million 3DS units in the quarter, down from 1.86 million a year earlier. It also sold 160,000 units of the Wii U, pushing the overall total to 3.6 million since its debut in November.

By comparison, smartphone shipments surged 47 percent to 229.6 million in the second quarter from a year earlier, market researcher Strategy Analytics said July 26.

Machocruz

Arcane
Don't believe PR, bro. Their sales aren't anywhere near where they would like them.

This is a key point here, one people miss when talking about video game sales because they're too invested in what they personally like. People argue if you call the Gamecube a failure. They say "but Nintendo was the only one who made profit from day 1 last generation," and "but it had great games like MP/ED/RE4/etc, so it was a success to me." Yes, but A.) it doesn't matter what you like b.) that's not where Nintendo wanted to be: profitable, but in 3rd place. They want to be #1, always. They want to sell a certain minimum. They want every system to be a NES level leader/phenomenon. N64: also a "failure." Every time they try to compete on hardware power, they fail, except for SNES, but even that was a close race I recall (That's why the answer to why the Wii U isn't doing well isn't "because the hardware power." But a lot of people are brainwashed by the Industry that keeps telling them that moar power is the most important thing. Even though reality shows otherwise the majority of the time.).

As users, success is defined by the usefulness of and contentment with the product we bought; Gamecube was very useful to me. But in a console war, sales are the only useful metric of success.

deuxhero

Arcane
When was it the last time the more powerful system sold most? Only "modern" race I don't know for sure the weakest system won was Saturn/PS1/N64, and that's only because the 3 had pitfalls in completely different places (example: N64 had no disc drive, but could actually output proper true polygons unlike the others) I can't say which was weakest.

Just watch the 3DS beat the PS4 and Xbone in the holiday season they launch with the power of Pokemon and Monster Hunter.

Last edited:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
“I don’t think Nintendo can achieve its commitment of 100 billion yen because it has no way to improve,” said Mitsushige Akino, chief fund manager at Ichiyoshi Asset Management Co. in Tokyo. “It cannot go back to the age when the Wii and DS sold well as there now are many devices for killing time, such as smartphones and tablets.”

This. There's too much hardware junk out there, too many games, too much everything. Why would anyone invest money and time in such a little antiquated plastic brick like the 3DS when the alternatives are superior in quality, performance and price? The DS did well because there was no comparable alternative around at that time that could replicate that special handheld feeling, today you can have the same experience on tablets, phones, PC and home consoles. Not to mention many high-profile handheld games get ported to HD systems six months later anyway.

Iwata is still living in the 1990s. Nintendo should become a software-only company and start releasing their IPs multiplatform. The thrill and sense of exclusivity of dedicated hardware no longer grips people as it used to be. Heck, not even Sony and MS can muster up enough hype for their new hardware vis-a-vis the 360/PS3 launch.

Machocruz

Arcane
I don't know. Last time I checked, mobile games sucked dick, and people weren't lugging their PCs on trips, and Nintendo handhelds have sold well regardless of home consoles. Not saying mobile and tablet haven't changed the game, just that I haven't seen the superior quality of software.

Maybe 3DS is still in the gimmick stage, like DS before developers felt the free to ignore the touch and dual screen functionalities and made the right kinds of games for it. I'm not ready to write it off yet. People may want a refuge from Sony and MS doubling down on popamole (which doesn't sell that well, contrary to what they want you to believe), something more substantial than mobile games, and something more immediately gratifying than PC gaming is. This leaves the Wii U *holds back laughter*, The Vita *can barely contain it*, or 3/2DS.

I'ma be real though, the fund manager guy knows better and is probably right.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Iwata is still living in the 1990s. Nintendo should become a software-only company and start releasing their IPs multiplatform.
No, that is a terrible idea that would destroy Nintendo. The reason Nintendo has and continues to build on such a huge fuckload of various ips is because they have hardware to support and sell. If they no longer have to sell hardware, expect to see nothing but endless Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros, Pokemon and Donkey Kong games and Wii party shit from them from that point on, while the rest of their niche franchises like Metroid, Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, Kid Icarus etc. get thrown in the basement forever. Not to mention all their best talent will leave, as many of their top designers work on both the software and hardware. It's the same thing that happened to Sega and we all know how well that turned out for them.

I'm not too impressed with Nintendo these days either, but there's better solutions to fixing their problems than company suicide.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Wasted $250 on 3DS. Then sold a bunch of games for dirt cheap to Gamestop and spent $100 on 3DS XL. Compared to DSi, Both models have a limited color reproduction and shitty viewing angle because of the dual-function screen. Chances are, 2DS will use DSi technology for the screen again. But there's no chance of me spending more money on this shit.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Why would anyone invest money and time in such a little antiquated plastic brick like the 3DS when the alternatives are superior in quality, performance and price?
Um... because there are good games for it? NDS is the only console in the last decade with a decent amount of good games and 3DS is the only one that looks likely to follow.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I'd rather see all those good games go multiplatform. They'd even make more money than on their limited install base. Other developers ported their 3DS games to HD systems, it's about time Nintendo starts to do the same.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Going multiplatform does weird things to a game, like infecting it with popamole and spending most of the budget on graphics.

Out of idle curiosity which of the good NDS/3DS games were ported to HD systems?

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
They'd even make more money than on their limited install base.
No, they would not. Hardware sales are amongst Nintendo's biggest moneymakers, not to mention royalty fees to release games on their hardware. If they go 3rd party, not only do they lose that huge amount of income, but they'd also have to give a cut to Sony and Microsoft for releasing on their consoles, and also Apple for releasing on iOS. Wii U ain't doing too well, but 3DS is making serious bank for Nintendo.

And again, they'd also lose all their best developers. Many of Nintendo's top designers help create the hardware itself, in order to support the gameplay ideas they have for their franchises. Shigeru Miyamoto, for example. He's not just a game designer, he also created the analog stick and rumble controllers, as well as playing a big part in the Wii's motion control.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
They'd even make more money than on their limited install base.
No, they would not. Hardware sales are amongst Nintendo's biggest moneymakers, not to mention royalty fees to release games on their hardware. If they go 3rd party, not only do they lose that huge amount of income, but they'd also have to give a cut to Sony and Microsoft for releasing on their consoles, and also Apple for releasing on iOS. Wii U ain't doing too well, but 3DS is making serious bank for Nintendo.

And again, they'd also lose all their best developers. Many of Nintendo's top designers help create the hardware itself, in order to support the gameplay ideas they have for their franchises. Shigeru Miyamoto, for example. He's not just a game designer, he also created the analog stick and rumble controllers, as well as playing a big part in the Wii's motion control.

It's also why they tend to not send Zelda to other consoles.

Last time they did that, the worst Zelda games were made. Nintendo doesn't like to talk about it.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Going multiplatform does weird things to a game, like infecting it with popamole and spending most of the budget on graphics.

Out of idle curiosity which of the good NDS/3DS games were ported to HD systems?

Might & Magic for DS saw a release on PC and consoles, and more recently, RE:Revelations for 3DS.

Either way, I think Nintendo is making a mistake. Or, they're gonna gain strength again once people get bored with all that braindead banal shooter-shit that X1/PS4 has. As usual, waiting towards the last third of a console life-cycle is always the wisest thing to do.

Metroid motherfuckers.

sser

Arcane
Developer
That design reminds me of those old handheld football games that were meant to be held by two people at the same time.

The 3DS's "3D" actually enhances some of the graphics in my experience. Usually I leave it off, but I tinkered around with Ocarina of Time and the 3D had cool effects like leaves sputtering up out of the screen as you walked through them. It gives some games a little more pop. I own Shinobi, a ridiculously hard platformer, and it actually makes the game a little easier to see by giving it some definition. Same for the Resident Evil and Luigi demos I played. Plus, you have the option to just turn it off so I mean... whatever, right? Use it when it looks good and leave it off when it doesn't. I think it's a great handheld design because a portable 3D device sounded like a complete trainwreck to me before I actually tried it.

Since this seems to be the general Nintendoshit thread...

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/platinum-games-wants-to-be-a-second-party-studio-for-nintendo

Platinum Games has had a close relationship with Nintendo the past two years. With the Big N publishing the studio's latest two games, Bayonetta 2 and The Wonderful 101, exclusively for Wii U, they've had plenty of time to learn to get along. In an interview with IGN, the outlet asked Kamiya if he wanted Platinum Games to become a subsidiary of Nintendo, meaning working more closely with Nintendo but not having the opportunity to publish games for other consoles. Kamiya replied, saying, "I would love that."

Not too long ago, Kamiya was asked a similar question and declared that he had "no interest" in becoming anything but a third-party developer. Working with Nintendo was well and good, but presumably he preferred the freedom of working as a third-party studio. Perhaps the time since has convinced him otherwise?

Would you like to see Nintendo absorb Platinum Games as a second-party studio?

On one hand Nintendo would have some decent titles. On the other hand, Platinum, one of the few decent devs left, would be shackled to Nintendo hardware. No MGR2 in that case.:rage:

Wittengstein

Novice
Not interested in this slightest but judging by this image i'd say Nintendo is gearing towards a big promo for this 2ds thing;
CI_Nintendo_2DS_Plays_your_Games_in_2D_image600w.png

Perhaps something like register your 2ds and got one of the games above(of your choosing)or something like 'So Many Games' promo,similar image is also up on Nintendo's US website with Pokemon X/Y,Dream Team,Kart 7 and AC:NL.
Anyway can't wait for this to come out so i could buy Club Nintendo codes from clueless parents for 5£ and enjoy the games that'll be available by registering.

DragoFireheart

"Super Mario 3D Land: Plays in 2D"

The 3D gimmick really is useless.

At least the system isn't DOA.

Remember the Virtual Boy? Most people don't and if you do, you know exactly what I am talking about.

Dexter

Arcane
Since this seems to be the general Nintendoshit thread...

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/platinum-games-wants-to-be-a-second-party-studio-for-nintendo

Platinum Games has had a close relationship with Nintendo the past two years. With the Big N publishing the studio's latest two games, Bayonetta 2 and The Wonderful 101, exclusively for Wii U, they've had plenty of time to learn to get along. In an interview with IGN, the outlet asked Kamiya if he wanted Platinum Games to become a subsidiary of Nintendo, meaning working more closely with Nintendo but not having the opportunity to publish games for other consoles. Kamiya replied, saying, "I would love that."

Not too long ago, Kamiya was asked a similar question and declared that he had "no interest" in becoming anything but a third-party developer. Working with Nintendo was well and good, but presumably he preferred the freedom of working as a third-party studio. Perhaps the time since has convinced him otherwise?

Would you like to see Nintendo absorb Platinum Games as a second-party studio?

On one hand Nintendo would have some decent titles. On the other hand, Platinum, one of the few decent devs left, would be shackled to Nintendo hardware. No MGR2 in that case.:rage:
http://wiiudaily.com/2013/08/wonderful-101-japanese-sales/
Wow. So yesterday we reported on a single Japanese retailer’s sales for The Wonderful 101 in the region, with that retailer describing abysmally low sales. It looks like sales across the entirety of Japan were equally as bad, with the title selling only 5,258 copies during its first week, according to Media Create numbers. The Wii U also dropped in sales figures, only managing to sell around 7,000 units compared to 12,000 last week.
I'm doubtful that would be the best business decision.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
EDIT: although the lack of a hinge is a stupid design decision

Yeah looks like Nintendo can't help but include stupid design choices. They probably removed the hinge to make it cheaper to produce.
Pretty sure the point of a hinge-free design is because this model is aimed at smaller children (or rather, their parents). One of the biggest complaints from parents was that in younger kids the 3DS produced headaches. Parents also don't like the clamshell design because it's prone to near-immediate breakage by basically any even remotely hyperactive child, so my guess it was removed to produce a handheld that could take a bigger beating.

DragoFireheart

EDIT: although the lack of a hinge is a stupid design decision

Yeah looks like Nintendo can't help but include stupid design choices. They probably removed the hinge to make it cheaper to produce.
Pretty sure the point of a hinge-free design is because this model is aimed at smaller children (or rather, their parents). One of the biggest complaints from parents was that in younger kids the 3DS produced headaches. Parents also don't like the clamshell design because it's prone to near-immediate breakage by basically any even remotely hyperactive child, so my guess it was removed to produce a handheld that could take a bigger beating.

But what about man-children like me?

subi

Augur
This is like old gameboy colour ,exactly like nokia ngage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom