Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nintendo Strategic Shift: Today's Hyrule Warrors Tomorrow's Diablo-be Zelda

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
After years of trying to centralize content according to the core ideology of their consoles have resulted in dead ends in negotiations with party publishers bringing games to the Wii and Wii U, it seems Nintendo is branching into a strategy that's as intuitive as it is ridiculous. If Hyrule Warriors succeeds, we can probably look forward to a legion of outsourced genre staple series using Nintendo I.Ps.

According to this theory, we would be seeing Diablo-be Zelda, Metroid "Halo Wars/Starcraft" esque RTS, etc.

Let's make a game out of it. What Nintendo derivative of a massively successful franchise would you like to see and using what IP? God of Mario? GRAND THEFT YOSHI GAME OF THE YEAR 2017!!!!111 Be a plumber and go around hijacking other plumbers' magical dinosaurs while committing Mushroom Kingdom crimes! Legion of Toadstools come after you if you get 5-star infamy rating. Bowser and Wario are faction crime bosses.

Diablo Zelda, get Ocarina of Everlasting Time 100+ mana 100+ Magic Damage!

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I keep slaughtering every spawn in Kokiri Village but I can't get any of them to drop the Kokiri Sword, wtf? Keep getting grey Deku Nuts and Deku Sticks... does anyone know the drop rate?

Will trade 17$ for Kokiri Sword...

deuxhero

Arcane
Eh, Nintendo's oversight was strict enough that Silicon Knights (who made 1 game that really only worked because of a script that was written externally and loads of shit outside of the stuff Nintendo did with them) managed to turn out a great game and a remake that may or may not be inferior to the original but is still worth playing. I'm not too concerned.

Athelas

Arcane
Eh, Nintendo's oversight was strict enough that Silicon Knights (who made 1 game that really only worked because of a script that was written externally and loads of shit outside of the stuff Nintendo did with them) managed to turn out a great game and a remake that may or may not be inferior to the original but is still worth playing. I'm not too concerned.
What makes you think Nintendo was the creative mind behind Eternal Darkness (the sort of game that's completely out of their ballpark)? I'm pretty sure Eternal Darkness was written and designed by the Silicon Knights guys. They also made the very cool and also horror-themed Blood Omen, so there is/was clearly some talent there.

Last edited:

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
What makes you think Nintendo was the creative mind behind Eternal Darkness (the sort of game that's completely out of their ballpark)? I'm pretty sure Eternal Darkness was written and designed by the Silicon Knights guys. They also made the very cool and also horror-themed Blood Omen, so there is/was clearly some talent there.
Members of Silicon Knights themselves stated that Nintendo basically acted as quality control for Silicon Knights when they released Eternal Darkness and The Twin Snakes:

This command structure wasn't always such a fatal flaw, former employees said. Before Silicon Knights cut ties with Japanese powerhouse Nintendo following the 2004 release of Twin Snakes, the studio had crucial outside help for game quality, design and process. "This is the reason for the extremely high quality games that SK built a reputation on," says one source. "Nintendo was going to put their name on the game, so it had to be 'Nintendo quality.'"

Silicon Knights' post-Nintendo releases certainly took a dive in quality, based on the low Metacritic scores for Too Human and X-Men: Destiny, so this theory seems plausible. "Once [Nintendo] were out of the picture, SK could do whatever they wanted," a source says. "Denis believed that SK was finally out from under the oppressive nature of Nintendo as a publisher. Once Denis was given more freedom, things started to fall apart."

What further proof do you need than the fact that they made Too Human the moment Nintendo stopped keeping them on a leash?

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
Amy Hennig and Crystal Dynamics had nothing to do with Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen. Crystal Dynamics acquired the IP after Blood Omen was released and then released their own (IMO inferior) games in the Legacy of Kain franchise. They also retconned the shit out of Blood Omen.

What further proof do you need than the fact that they made Too Human the moment Nintendo stopped keeping them on a leash?
Two things happening after each other = proof? And what does that have to do with anything I said? What do you think I meant with 'creative mind'? I wasn't talking about 'quality control' (whatever that might mean in this case, Nintendo games are certainly bug-free but I wouldn't describe them as stellar examples of innovative gameplay). I was talking about the fact that Eternal Darkness was very much a typical Silicon Knights game, and nothing like the type of game Nintendo makes. Are you seriously telling me games like Eternal Darkness and Blood Omen would fit in next to these games? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Nintendo_franchises

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom