Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Nintendo Switch, the only console today making games which are games

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Makabb, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Citizen Guest

Citizen
    IDK, I had wiiU and despite it having some very strong exclusives their amount just wasn't enough to justify buying a system. I loved pikmin 3, bayonetta and xenoblade chronicles X and had some fun with mario 3d world and kart. Other than that it just had no games. Did play botw because i'm too spoiled by pc gaming for 15 fps

^ Top  
  2. oddech_wymarlych_swiatow Arcane

oddech_wymarlych_swiatow
    So you guyz admit that core of people interest is portability of third party AAA/indie titles?

OK, so if it's main of reason of Switch still selling like hotcakes then no wonder Nintendo doesn't care anymore about decent amount of first party / exclusives - and that why I consider it worst NINTENDO console.

It's basically Game Boy Advance 20 years later, thanks to that and because of day 1 emulation.

At least we are getting SMT5 which will be obviously best geam of the decade.

^ Top  
  3. SerratedBiz Arcane

SerratedBiz
    No, and it takes quite a bit of mental gymnastics to reach that conclusion.

The Switch actually follows in the footsteps of the (3)DS in having quite a few exclusives, including RPGs. Bravely Default 2, last Fire Emblem, Pokemanz, SMT (as you mentioned), Xenoblade Chronicles (including the Wii remaster of the first), to name a few. Your mileage in enjoying these games may vary but it doesn't change the fact that the exclusives are decent games and make the console worth buying.

My experience with ports on the Switch so far actually amounts to a whole lot of "I should've just played it on the PC", since it suffers quite a bit from performance issues and downgrading (tried Phantom Doctrine and couldn't stomach its <30 fps uglyness).

^ Top  
  4. Drakortha Arbiter

Drakortha
    The switch can't output native 1080p to a TV screen even while docked. Feel the Nintendo power!

^ Top  
  5. Nifft Batuff Liturgist

Nifft Batuff
    The (3)DS has many more exclusives specifically created for it (and not only from Nintendo), thanks maybe to its dual screen. So far most of Switch titles I could be interested in are already available on other platforms, and if those games have performance issues too...

^ Top  
  6. GhostCow ワイフハンター Patron

GhostCow
    The Switch has Fire Emblem and SMT. That's all it needs to justify its existence to me. What did the Wii U have that was worth a shit other than Tokyo Mirage Sessions? Nothing unless you're one of those fags that actually likes first party Nintendo games

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. sser Arcane Cuck Developer

sser
    I mean that's just me speaking. The system's portability is the main reason to have it. I'd say 90% of my time playing it is as handheld.

The catalog though seems strong to me at least. I see a lot of Nintendo games and a lot of Switch-specific titles that are quite good even if they're not Nintendo-developed specifically.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. oddech_wymarlych_swiatow Arcane

oddech_wymarlych_swiatow
    Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Smash, Yoshi's Woolly World, Pikmin 3, Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, Captain Toad - are all of those games just faggotry to you?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    "Raah! I want to start a fight about some random thing that nobody gives a shit about!"

I don't sit there comparing the catalogue of every console out there, the Switch is worth it for me due to a combination of ports given my complete lack of consoles, the portability, the exclusives. For others you might also throw in party / kids friendly.

^ Top  
  10. GhostCow ワイフハンター Patron

GhostCow
    All of them except for the last one because I've never heard of it.

^ Top  
  11. DJOGamer PT Arcane

DJOGamer PT
    https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2021-04-12-nintendo-to-focus-more-on-original-ip

Interesting...
    So I am guessing no more Donkey Kong games for awhile
    And I can finally abandon all hope for a F-Zero revival

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    ^ Top  
  12. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel
    Will they finally make a good game?

Only time will tell.

• Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Drakortha Arbiter

Drakortha
    They can start by going back on the open world, crafting, potion chugging shit design that Breath of the Wild was.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. oddech_wymarlych_swiatow Arcane

oddech_wymarlych_swiatow
    https://www.pushsquare.com/news/202...gle_ps5_ps4_game_in_the_japanese_sales_charts

• incline x 5
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Abu Antar Prestigious Gentleman Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    What are you guys looking forward to in the future? For me, there are a few games that I have my eyes on.

Dragon Quest III 2DHD
    Pokemon Legends: Arceus (Might as well get one game in the series)
    Project Triangle Strategy
    Shin Megami Tensei V
    The War of Genesis: Remnants of Gray

I'm waiting on a sale for Monster Hunter 2, Mercenaries Blaze, and The Great Attorney Chronicles. I'm probably also getting the new Mario + Rabbids game if I ever see it on sale in the future.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel
    kinda odd to list DQ3 2dhd when there are no platforms announced

^ Top  
  17. Abu Antar Prestigious Gentleman Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    They did say "home consoles". I'm assuming Switch is one of those.

(Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups, I know.)

^ Top  
  18. Sentifor Barely Literate

Sentifor
    This is a legendary game developer that modern game developers should look up to. I recently played Nintendo Switch with a friend of mine, and I also read an interesting article about this console. I thought to buy it, but the news of the Steam Dec release made me think.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    https://archive.is/58DPv
    Famitsu's top 30 best selling titles are all Switch titles. This is the first time one console has dominated so since 1988, when the only two consoles with any sales were the Famicom and the largely forgotten Master System (Genesis launched later that year and GameBoy early the next). Famitsu only tracks physical sales though, so digital may be skewing it (and is why PC isn't on the list at all)

• decline decline x 2
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Jrpgfan Erudite

Jrpgfan
    Playing the Zelda remake right now.

Haven't been following the news lately and my switch gathered a bit of dust in the last couple months so idk much about new releases. I only found out about this Zelda game this week, I don't even know for how long it's been around(not that long I assume, judging by the price).

^ Top  
  21. J1M Arcane

J1M
    Sports Story because Golf Story was amazing.
    https://sidebargames.com/

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Bohrain Liturgist Patron

Bohrain
    No More Heroes 3 released on the 27th. Unless you are a Suda51 fanboy steer away from it. While combat itself is better than in the previous games (though still pales in comparison to something like DMC), the technical aspects of it are horrid as well as the level design. Game legitimately looks worse than the first game. Textures popping, jagged edges and shader settings make models look like plastic. Didn't notice overworld FPS drops myself, but I've heard it's frequent. I still haven't reached the second boss, but from what I've heard the later bosses don't even have proper levels before the boss, just rooms with spawning enemy waves.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. SumDrunkGuy Arcane Shitposter

SumDrunkGuy
    I'm happy to own one again. It's a solid system.

• Salute Salute x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Endemic Arcane

Endemic
    Seems like your cat is happy about it too. ;)

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. SumDrunkGuy Arcane Shitposter

SumDrunkGuy
    Yeah I'm sure they are looking forward to destroying it. They already have my ps4 half dead. That's why I got the 3 year protection plan.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Math! Math! x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.