Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
News Content Gallery About Donate Discord Contact
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nintendo Switch, the only console today making games which are games

maydaymemer

Novice
Alright there's no dedicated Pikmin thread so I'll just ask here. This is the most niche thing ever and I doubt anyone else has watched it but I once saw a PIkmin 2 review where the guy called the Fiery Bublax enemy a quote peaceul protestor bulborb. I am completely fascinated by that video because of that because it's an instance of horseshoe theory where a rightoid interupts a gaming video to get political in an obnoxious way. He used a cartoon avatar and it was fairly well edited. If anyone has also seen that video please tell me who made it and if it's still linkable somewhere. I can't find it

Fuck politics, use GD and / or SJW thread.

On topic - Switch is giving me some great games to play, although I still hate the format (thing is just too big to considered portable and if docked I might as well use the PC already connected).

Odyssey is fantastic, BOTW as well, I am especially pleased with amount of co-op games to play. Those games are just fun and joy to play. So refreshing compared to "cinematic" experiences of other side of the spectrum. Great console and great library overall. Nintendo knows what it is doing.

The Switch actually follows in the footsteps of the (3)DS in having quite a few exclusives, including RPGs. Bravely Default 2, last Fire Emblem, Pokemanz, SMT (as you mentioned), Xenoblade Chronicles (including the Wii remaster of the first), to name a few. Your mileage in enjoying these games may vary but it doesn't change the fact that the exclusives are decent games and make the console worth buying.

Speaking of (3)DS, what games do you consider to being worth to play on actual hardware as opposed on emulator?

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Speaking of (3)DS, what games do you consider to being worth to play on actual hardware as opposed on emulator?

I dunno, I don't emulate those games so I don't know how different they play, sorry.

Last edited:

YldrE

Learned
Speaking of (3)DS, what games do you consider being worth to play on actual hardware as opposed on emulator?
There are probably an extremely low number of games for which this is the case. They would have to fit two conditions:

- The game is undubitably meant to be played vertically
- The game mixes up touch and physical controls

Only one isn't enough, you need both for original hardware to be more desirable, since it's a bitch to set up a vertical display and easily reach over to use the touch screen. Thankfully most games use traditional controls with limited touch functionality, the only two games I found to be thoroughly painful where Sonic Colors (since you switch screens constantly) and Republic Heroes (almost touch-only, made tedious by unnecessary physical commands).

Everything else is better emulated, especially on a touch device (a phone for example) where in side-by-side you'll be using the touch screen naturally with your right thumb. For games with touch aiming like Metroid Prime Hunters or Call of Duty you end up with something that feels very much like a right stick, a boon that's wasted if the display is vertical and centered with the touch screen further away from your thumb.

On a more subjective manner, gaming is situational for a lot of people. If you emulate on a PC, you'll probably find touch-only games infinitely more pleasant on a handheld (original or emulated). I just don't sit down and play Ace Attorney, Layton or visual novels at my desk, but I'll value them over action games if I'm playing in bed.

Ocarina of Time 3D and Majora's Mask 3D in particular control better on the 3DS as they take advantage of the bottom touchscreen interface for item buttons. The original games had been designed with the N64 controller's 6 face buttons in mind rather than the now standard 4.

Mario 3D Land and A Link Between Worlds supposedly make good use of the 3d gimmick, though at least some of the puzzles in the latter were changed to be doable without 3D as the 2DS became a thing.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Ocarina of Time 3D and Majora's Mask 3D in particular control better on the 3DS as they take advantage of the bottom touchscreen interface for item buttons. The original games had been designed with the N64 controller's 6 face buttons in mind rather than the now standard 4.

Mario 3D Land and A Link Between Worlds supposedly make good use of the 3d gimmick.
Good info. Also your name is funny.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Top Bottom