Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nintendo's new console: the Switch (formerly NX)

But are these duns thematically different? So far every single video I've seen in dungeon environments were in the same high tech place with treadmills and shit

I haven't done any of the dungeons proper yet (despite playing hours and hours), but although the shrines tend to share the same aesthetic, the objectives are varied enough that it doesn't really bother you. One shrine might have you fighting enemies, whereas the next might have you using a steel hammer to knock a ball into a faraway target homerun-style, or manipulate a rube goldberg puzzle by conjuring up ice blocks on a distant waterfall, or using your magnetism powers to scoop objects from the water with a giant steel bowl. It's all Zelda stuff.

And that's not even touching the overland which seems to have tucked into every nook and cranny... from hidden treasures, local fuana that you can use to make potions or foodstuffs, or the sidequests sprinkled all over the place. You'll find random events like townspeople being attacked or treasure chests floating down a river. At one point I found a meteorite when I noticed a falling star in the sky and decided to follow it all the way to its crash site.

It's honestly one of the best open worlds I've ever seen and one of the best games I've played in recent memory. Just an endlessly fun game to dick around with It's still got some nasty flaws, mostly when the framerate drops in wooded areas or towns, at least on the Wii U version. Tho I consider that kinda of par for the course... I don't recall W3 or any open world game getting great FPS any console. It sucks but it really is a good game at the end of the day.

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I set out to get some monsrer drops to improve my Hilyan clothes at the great fairy shrine. I had used all of mine in recipies.

Starting at Kakariko, I climbed the tallest local peak in a series of ascending peaks, picked a direction that looked good and took off in that direction to collect some horns (dropped by certain foes).

In the following two hours I cleared ruins, baddy outposts, lots of interesting exploration, eventually crossing the great Hylian bridge only to get pounced on by lizard guards. These guys are fucking fast, nearly kicked my ass. Got some good loot off of them and decided to close down to set of islands a Loong way below the bridge in lake Hylia. This is an actual lake in size, I think I have grossly understated the size of the world. It's huge and there are zero load times BTW.

Anyways, the islands. I came across some nasty large bone lizards, some of which are magic users. Got my ass handed to me the first time... Had to use food with abilities to take them out. On the last island in a crater was a shrine with very interesting mechanics and abity use to solve.

These shrines are great, remeniscent of a portal level, except you have a half dozen abilities instead of a portal gun. Cool beans. Beat the shrine and warped back to Kakariko to upgrade my clothes. Had just enough materials to do it. Felt good and a few hours just melted away.

So far, so good.

---

Arcane
Yeah, the game is pretty hard too (surely more than your usual AAA). Lots of enemy which are able to insta-kill you.

Also: no fucking quest markersssss! :yeah:

So much time passed, but at the end it seems that finally someone has been able to create a proper open world :cry:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
https://youtu.be/Cb-srOfRqNc

hardware malfunction being reported everywhere.

http://www.techspot.com/news/68401-nintendo-dead-or-stuck-pixels-switch-normal-not.html

dead pixel happens alot and nintendo pretty much "deal with it"

even my monitor and phone (dell and asus respectively) said even a single dead pixel is a ground for warranty claim and they've got like twice the pixels switch have, which make a single dead pixel ignorable.

seriously nintendo. you make decent to great software, but whoever in charge in your hardware should give up and commit harakiri

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

http://www.techspot.com/news/68401-nintendo-dead-or-stuck-pixels-switch-normal-not.html

even my monitor and phone (dell and asus respectively) said even a single dead pixel is a ground for warranty claim and they've got like twice the pixels switch have, which make a single dead pixel ignorable.

seriously nintendo. you make decent to great software, but whoever in charge in your hardware should give up and commit harakiri

WTF man hahahaha:hahano:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Yeah, most of those enemies have decent detection range, move faster than you do and will run your ass down. I have seen group tactics being used too. They will gank you.

ChasinTheTrane

Literate
For people skeptical of the near lack of dungeons don't worry about it! Instead of spending a ton of time solving the same puzzle, it's a one-and-done and you're out quickly. It's a great mechanic and a nice change.

flyingjohn

Arcane

Impressive,cant even maintain 30 fps.
I guess 30 fps is too cinematic for Nintendo.

Screenshot_from_2017-03-06_180849.png

$89.99

Yeah, there was a great moment in the Angry Joe review where he examined the dock for the first time and his face just screwed up. Then whenever it came up for the rest of the video he talked about how hollow and cheap it felt.

imweasel

These Switch fail videos are quite entertaining. We were only expecting shit graphics, but we got so much more. :lol:

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Lots of rage about a new console, whatever.

To quote someone from the Chans;

"It's not a console, it's a tablet with some accessories and a charger/hdmi output."

It really is just a worse Nvidia Shield.

People on 4chan also predicted the PS4 wouldn't crack a million copies. People on 4chan are retarded, there was a thread today that had people screaming like children over this website.

There are times when even the screaming hordes of the Youtube comment section can rightly call bullshit, let alone the Chans.

When you see this-

-and remember they were charging $90 for it, you realize that a monkey beating a Switch with a rock could be considered a worthwhile critique.

Edit: And would probably do less damage to the screen than the dock itself.

Last edited:

A user named cat

Pretty sure Nintendo deliberately fucked over all the poor sods who had to have a Switch on launch. Could've waited a few months until Cemu emulates Zelda perfectly fine, no other reason to own the thing. Worst launch library since Panasonic 3DO. Now Nintendo is going to double or triple dip everyone with console revisions like simply adding foam padding inside the dock or actually using gorilla glass instead of being cheap Japanese tiny dicks. I wouldn't trust a child or adult handling this console. Cheap plastic junk galore.

Keldryn

Arcane
Damn, totally new console and having trouble holding 30 fps with drops down to 20. Must be the worst performance yet for a new console.

It is a port of a last-gen title; I believe it was only April 2016 when they decided that it would also be a launch title for the Switch. I would expect a game written from the ground up for the Switch would probably perform significantly better.

Also, from my experience, these FPS drops are getting far too much attention. You can play for hours and only encounter a couple of instances of the frame rate dropping noticeably.

There is also a huge difference between playing the game and noticing the frame rate dropping in the moment, and going over recorded footage multiple times specifically looking for performance issues. All that really matters if it is noticeable and it detracts from gameplay. Obviously, people have encountered some issues; my point is that this is not representative of 95% of the time you're playing the game.

Nintendo has usually been pretty good about fixing/replacing defective hardware, and often they'll do it for free even when the product's warranty has expired. Perhaps the "deal with it" attitude has more to do with a major product launch; estimates are that Nintendo will have shipped 2 million units (worldwide) by the end of March, and you can be certain that this initial batch will sell out. For argument's sake, say 1% of units are defective. That's 20,000 units needing to be serviced and I don't think that Nintendo has a huge number of service depots. They might very well give a different answer regarding the deal pixels once the sales flatten out a bit.

And of course, we hear about all of the launch day Switches that had problems. I'll speak up as one of the silent majority that got a Switch with no problems. Left Joy-Con stays synced from across the room. No glitches or crashes. The screen on mine does not get scratched when placing it in or removing it from the dock. The only complaint I have about it is that I had to wait 4 extra days for it and play the Wii U version of Zelda over the weekend. :cool:

pippin

thanks for your information, esteemed nintendo employee

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom