Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh 2

cruel

Cipher
No release date, no details, but Nioh 2 confirmed at E3

I'm happy, first part had some problems, but overall a very good experience. Hoping they will fix enemy variety in the second.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
When I saw KT and Team Ninja, I naively hoped for a new Ninja Gaiden. :negative:

This is the time to do it. They made a very good game with Nioh, I think they should be prepared to revive the King!

Wunderbar

Arcane
I hope they ditch that boring-ass Geralt dude, and allow us to create and customize a new character.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://gematsu.com/2018/06/nioh-2-...tion-protagonist-possesses-the-power-of-yokai

Nioh 2 has character customization, protagonist possesses the power of yokai

Nioh 2 director Fumihiko Yasuda and Team Ninja creative director Tom Lee shared first tidbits of information on the newly announced Nioh 2 during the PlayStation E3 2018 live stream yesterday.

During the interview, Yasuda confirmed that Nioh 2 will have a character creation system and that the protagonist will possess the power of yokai, allowing for yokai-versus-samurai and yokai-versus-yokai battles to unfold. Yasuda also confirms Team Ninja will release a demo ahead of the game’s release to gather fan feedback.

Get the tidbits from Yasuda below.

On his goal for Nioh 2

Yasuda: “My goal for Nioh 2 would be a natural evolution, not a dramatic change or deterioration. In the first title, although we were very happy with how it was received, there were things that we could not have accomplished at the same time. So I’d like to strengthen what we did well, while at the same time fix some of the issues that we couldn’t do in time. That’s what I’d like to see happen in Nioh 2.”

On lessons learned in the original Nioh

Yasuda: “Team Ninja is known for creating action games, but Nioh on the other hand was our first action RPG. So I’d say that in some of the game balancing and RPG departments, as well as some of the updates, there were certain issues that players might not have necessarily been happy with, so that’s something I’d like to improve upon and do better this time.”

On Nioh 2‘s story connections with the original Nioh

Yasuda: “Yes, it ties in with the story of the first game—like the time and setting, those we will reveal in the days to come. But while I feel that those who have never played the original Nioh can enjoy the story, people who did can even more so enjoy it.

“And this is just sales talk, but Nioh is on sale right now, so we’d like to invite people who have never tried the game before to give it a try.”

On how feedback from the first game influenced development on Nioh 2

Yasuda: “We did two demos before the first Nioh was launched, and we’re truly grateful for all the feedback from our fans. But having said that, after the game launched, one of the biggest requests that we had was character creation. And that’s something we’re going to implement in Nioh 2. Players will definitely be able to customize all the details, including gender and race.”

On what sets Nioh apart from other third-party action games…

Yasuda: “In general, I think it’s the close quarters combat system. We have certain elements that are very uniquely Japanese, such as the ki pulse and the weapon stances. In addition to that, maybe the fact that both the player and the enemy have a stamina bar. That’s probably something unique to Nioh.”

On the teaser trailer…

Yasuda: “Players can probably tell that the next protagonist actually possesses the power of yokai. We’ve seen samurai-versus-yokai and samurai-versus-samurai before, but this time around we’re going to have yokai-versus-samurai and yokai-versus-yokai as well, so you’ll be able to feel some of the yokai skills and moves, which should bring the action system to the next level.”

On the most important thing the team needs to get right with Nioh 2

Yasuda: “First of all, as a masocore game, we’ll make it satisfying again, but in that we want to have more satisfying deaths for players. And while Team Ninja will do its best to bring everybody the best product, we don’t want it to be just our subjective opinion. So as we did with Nioh, we’ll release a free demo to for everyone again to get feedback and make this game right.”

And a message to fans…

Lee: “First of all, we want to thank everyone for making Nioh a success. And having said that, I think just to kind of draw a comparison of where we were and where we’re at, I think with Nioh it was our first time getting into that genre. And to be quite honest, as part of our team, we were a little bit cautious and it was sort of trepidatious in that sense. I think this time around, with the experience that we gained, and obviously all the encourage and support that we have, we’ve gained a lot of confidence as well. And thinking back, there were a lot of things that we didn’t get to do. But this time around, I guess the simple way for me to put this is, the glove are off, we’re going to go in hard. And so I hope the fans are ready for it, because I think this experience is going to be close to what we really had in mind. So I can’t wait for you guys to play it.”

Nioh 2 is in development for PlayStation 4.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
This will most likely have better combat and boss encounters (and more of them) than Suckiro: Miyazaki Lies Twice even if the level design is still meh, plus character creation is a nice surprise. :bounce:

I never felt the game was missing a Yokai form mode the way Bloodborne clearly lacked a beast mode. Sounds like it goes against the whole precision weapon combat system thing they have going. The animal spirit guardian force pokemon crap was already messy enough.

Create-an-ugly is all well and good but he's saying nothing about getting rid of the diablo loot, making the areas connected to each other or allowing us to invade other players' worlds. Things I'd hope Sekiro/BB2/DS6 gets right.

Last edited:

Suicidal

Arcane
I think it's a pretty interesting direction they're taking. In Nioh demons abide by a completely different set of rules than humans - their stamina behaves differently, they need to spawn corruption pools in order to regen it and they are very weak to purification items. I wonder if these mechanics will make a comeback in the sequel but this time you will be the one to utilize them. I hope they make something like this, rather than treating your demon powers as a mere replacement for spirit weapon (aka, press button to power up temporarily).

Character creation is nice but I didn't consider its absence in Nioh 1 a big deal. Your customized appearance will anyway be obscured by all the armor you'll be wearing and initial stats matter very little in Dark Souls and since Nioh uses a very similar stat system, they will matter just as little here. I also liked the fact that most (if not all) the characters in Nioh as well as the story were based on real historic events and people, so if we'll be playing a custom character this time maybe there will be less connections with real history.

Hobo Elf I know but a dlc-salvaged skin from a couple of items you can equip at will is hardly the same as some gameplay mechanic where the player can become bestial depending on accumulated XP/blood or insight or multiplayer actions in accordance with the game's blood-frenzied/blood-mad theme.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Hobo Elf I know but a dlc-salvaged skin from a couple of items you can equip at will is hardly the same as some gameplay mechanic where the player can become bestial depending on accumulated XP/blood or insight or multiplayer actions in accordance with the game's blood-frenzied/blood-mad theme.

It changes the way you move and attack. It counts. Not being a DT is hardly a good reason to ignore the fact that the game has a beast mode and saying otherwise is just moving the goal post.

Falksi

Arcane
Niiioooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Star-Wars-Episode-III-Revenge-Of-The-Sith-Darth-Vader-darth-vader-18356807-1599-677.jpg

Suicidal

Arcane
The intensity of my butthurt will be that of a nuclear hellfire if this doesn't come out on PC.

Jinn

Arcane
Fucking looks amazing. I think I saw some necromancy/summoning going on there too? HNNNNNGGGG.

deuxhero

Arcane
Don't be surprised it's in the Sengoku era again, it was one of the first things they revealed but every western outlet missed it. From the first trailer's description
“戦国死にゲー” 『仁王2』始動!

The phrase was used in a few articles since then as well.

Character creation is nice but I didn't consider its absence in Nioh 1 a big deal. Your customized appearance will anyway be obscured by all the armor you'll be wearing and initial stats matter very little in Dark Souls and since Nioh uses a very similar stat system, they will matter just as little here. I also liked the fact that most (if not all) the characters in Nioh as well as the story were based on real historic events and people, so if we'll be playing a custom character this time maybe there will be less connections with real history.
Well the armor won't be much of a concern because you could change the appearance in the first game.

As for the story, William was just a Yokai hunter till the end when Kelly reveals himself. Most of the history came from historical figures he met (which fits reality where William was just a tech and logistics guy and not a fighter).

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Anjin-san, the direct inspiration for Nioh's protagonist, is actually a real historical person though.

In late 1500's some English navy captain shipwrecked in Jap-land where he was, through many lulzy trials and tribulations, eventually recruited by the reigning daimyos of the time to serve as teacher, philosopher, ship captain and warfare instructor. There's a statue dedicated to him somewhere in Anime-land, I forget the name of where it is.

There's a fictionalized account of Anjin-san's adventures in the land of Lolis called "Shogun", written by James Clavell. I highly recommend reading it as it's a fucking fantastic novel. There was also a mini-series made of the book starring Richard Chamberlain if I remember correctly, but I never bothered watching it. It's simply impossible that it could do justice to the amazing novel.

Anyway, my point is that the protagonist of Nioh is directly inspired by good ole' Anjin-san. The yokai hunting and stuff is... creative license, uwu uwu.

EDIT:
Shōgun is a 1975 novel by James Clavell. It is the first novel (by internal chronology) of the author's Asian Saga. A major best-seller, by 1990 the book had sold 15 million copies worldwide. Beginning in feudal Japan some months before the critical Battle of Sekigahara in 1600, Shōgun gives an account of the rise of the daimyō "Toranaga" (based upon the actual Tokugawa Ieyasu). Toranaga's rise to the shogunate is seen through the eyes of the English sailor John Blackthorne, called Anjin ("Pilot") by the Japanese, whose fictional heroics are loosely based on the historical exploits of William Adams.

(from William Adams page):
William Adams (24 September 1564 – 16 May 1620), known in Japanese as Miura Anjin(三浦按針: "the pilot of Miura"), was an English navigator who, in 1600, was the first of his nation to reach Japan during a five-ship expedition for the Dutch East India Company. Of the few survivors of the only ship that reached Japan, Adams and his second mate Jan Joostenwere not allowed to leave the country while Jacob Quaeckernaeck and Melchior van Santvoort were to go back to the Dutch Republic to invite them to trade. Adams and Joosten settled in Japan and became two of the first ever (and very few) Western samurai.

Soon after Adams's arrival in Japan, he became a key advisor to the shōgun Tokugawa Ieyasu. Adams directed construction for the shōgun of the first Western-style ships in the country. He was later key to Japan's approving the establishment of trading factories by the Netherlands and England. He was also highly involved in Japan's Red Seal Asian trade, chartering and serving as captain of four expeditions to Southeast Asia. He died in Japan at age 55. He has been recognised as one of the most influential foreigners in Japan during this period.[1]

...and yes, I believe this was also the "inspiration" for that Last Samurai movie as well. Anyway, I find it hilarious that WHITE MAN TEACH BARBARIC JAPS HOW TO LIVE was actually a real thing that really happened, lmao.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom