Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh 2

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
so when does this get hard? or it's generally just easier with all the new toys you can play with? i am in the 3rd region and just killed the owl boss. burst counters are pretty much OP and not that hard to do. yokai abilities get me out of many pinches. i killed a lot of bosses in the first time including the owl one.

finally fully committed to switchglaive and the shift sticks and have omyo build. spells like laser melee beam is pretty OP.

but still top notch action game IMO. the combat is even more satisfying even though it's easier.

People are pretty split on the difficulty of this game. Some say it's easier than the first, for others it's harder. I think it depends a lot on build/playstyle/experience with the first Nioh. Even minor things like type of guardian spirit can impact the difficulty a lot, cause each one has a different type of burst counter that can be easier/harder to perform under specific situations. For example, I used the red guardian spirit that has the burst counter where you have to backhand an enemy as it's charging up its burst attack. On some enemies, it was impossible for me to do, because the charge up animation was too quick or they did it outside of my attack range and then lunged at me, so I had to have either pixel-perfect reaction time to interrupt them mid lunge (which is extremely fast) or predict the attack in advance. So because I used this spirit, some of the bosses for me were harder than they probably were for a lot of people.

Personally, I found Nioh 1 easier than 2 (if we don't count the ridiculously unbalanced DLCs, but in this case Nioh 1 is significantly harder than any other 3rd person action game I've ever played). In 2 I struggled with more bosses than I did in 1 and 2 also has a lot more dangerous normal enemies with complex movesets.
I just beat the boss who turn into blue giant Oni and i didn't struggle with it either. The only real struggle so far is the snake one and the guy who has elephant spirit. I have user feral and phantom spirits, both burst are quite easy to pull. I am running omyo build and split half shortcut for melee enhancing and attack magics. I think it's the attack magics that's OP especially laser sword one since you can just spam strong attack from 10 foot away and it hit even with lower damage i can deal decent damage before enemy can even get close.

But the game is like crack. It's so dang addicting and satisfying.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I literally lost more hp to random lightning strikes in his camp than in boss battle.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
dunno he just was pretty aggresive but again maybe cos that's early and I still trying out different weapons. i am set with switchglaive + splitstaff and they kick serious asses

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Yea it's really versatile. i use the laser weapon, elemental talismans for weapons, the regen talisman also steel talisman that pretty much makes you invincible for a short ish time but still. I didn't use many magic/ninjutsu in nioh 1. I remember using galmut broth and bombs for ninjutsu. That's it i think.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
After mastering the staff i gotta change my character's look.
20210528201649_1.jpg
20210528201104_1.jpg
20210528201908_1.jpg

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Not sure i like how many bright lights there are in this game. Doesn't seem as grounded as the stuff from FromSoft.

Last edited:
No sure i like how many bright lights there are in this game. Doesn't seem as grounded as the stuff from FromSoft.

It's a bit of a turn off for me as well, when watching gameplay videos everyone seemed to have butterflies coming out of their ass.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Team Ninja always preferred to make things more "flashy" rather than "grounded"
Besides Nioh veers more into the "fantastic" side of fantasy rather than "dark fantasy"

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Is shibata katsuie just bullshit? It's the hardest fight so far because his attack hitbox and homing strikes are just bullshit. He can just change direction mid combo, his rushing attack have bullshit cheat hitbox, the spinning axe is also bullshit.

Suicidal

Arcane
I found him much easier once I noticed that if you attack him at the right moment when he's crawling around and shitting fire all over the place you can hit his head, stagger him and decrease his stamina by like 30%. Also some of his attacks are much easier to block than to dodge.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
He has really low Ki. YMMV depending on what weapon(s) you use: I mostly played fists and he turned out to be pretty easy once I realized I could borderline stunlock him by just abusing the shit out of an ender that does a lot of Ki damage, along with that skill augment that ramps up Ki damage even further.
Ki damage cheese > unleash hell while he's out of Ki > stop prematurely enough so your own Ki can recover > more Ki cheese while he's stuck in the yokai realm summoning animation > rinse and repeat. Something that ups Ki recovery speed helps.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Is shibata katsuie just bullshit? It's the hardest fight so far because his attack hitbox and homing strikes are just bullshit. He can just change direction mid combo, his rushing attack have bullshit cheat hitbox, the spinning axe is also bullshit.

He's the hardest fight in NG, but very susceptible to leveling. You can level up a bit and beat him easier. I died repeatedly to him on NG, but he wasn't really a problem for me on NG+ or NG++ or even NG+++.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Okay, the dlc was honestly a bit of a trudge especially the first samurai. Tengu disciple was pretty cool, darkness in capital was ok, but a bit bland and inoffensive. It felt closer in mood to the main game.

First samurai has difficulty spikes compared to the 2 plus at that point you reached the level cap and have to start grinding for +1 items to craft better +...10 items, which is starting to get tedious. I don't mind the core loot system as the level always scales but after it hits the level cap and you have to involve yourself is endless soul matching just to get a little bit of upgrade . . . Yea it's getting annoying.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Okay, the dlc was honestly a bit of a trudge especially the first samurai. Tengu disciple was pretty cool, darkness in capital was ok, but a bit bland and inoffensive. It felt closer in mood to the main game.

First samurai has difficulty spikes compared to the 2 plus at that point you reached the level cap and have to start grinding for +1 items to craft better +...10 items, which is starting to get tedious. I don't mind the core loot system as the level always scales but after it hits the level cap and you have to involve yourself is endless soul matching just to get a little bit of upgrade . . . Yea it's getting annoying.

Yeah late game Nioh is aimed at a different sort of players, the exploration and adventure aspect completely drops off and the game becomes a pure loot grinder.

Still, my first runs through both games are some of my most memorable gaming experiences ever. Loved every second.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Yup, overall very enjoyable game with tons of depth and (mostly) fair challenge. The end game stuff isn't for me though. I'd be glad to finish the main story of the DLC then shelf this for good.

Ivan

Arcane
Fielding opinions on whether I should bother with this if I was mixed on Nioh 1 (more negative than positive). Reading Hobo's post kinda sums up how I felt about Nioh. "I got some of that third person melee combat itch scratched, but found the enemy damage % way too high, such that when I finished the DLC I was more or less said, ok that's done, bye.

strengths:
-pulling off combos against enemies, while carefully dodging blows feels great
-great variety of weapon types

weakness:
-damage always made me felt like I was playing Twink Souls (2 hits = near death, get combod = instant death, particularly with the bosses)
-recycling of levels + linear segmented levels
-"hard" missions where sometimes it's just a boss plus two enemies
-few alternatives other than farming if you ever hit a wall (hamstring of the segmented levels)

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Fielding opinions on whether I should bother with this if I was mixed on Nioh 1 (more negative than positive). Reading Hobo's post kinda sums up how I felt about Nioh. "I got some of that third person melee combat itch scratched, but found the enemy damage % way too high, such that when I finished the DLC I was more or less said, ok that's done, bye.
Nioh 2 basically is Nioh 1 on steroids. It's Nioh 1 but multiplied x1000.

Everything you didn't like about the first game is still there, but everything you liked about it is in there a thousand times more.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Altho I thought there was a bit of a feature bloat in Nioh 2. Like the soul core mechanics is cool but I'd be just as happy without it. Same for the corrupted/blessed weapon thing. Also the goofy tea sets and samurai houses thing. Plus all the superfluous legacy features like the clan system or the blue-vs-red competition. All of that shit is just useless clutter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom