Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh 2

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finished the first samurai dlc. The last fight was kind of underwhelming. I always hated "big sized" enemies in nioh games especially. I dont mind them in other souls like games, but the best battles in nioh are usually humanoid or human sized enemies. The bosses in the final dlc main story are all big sized with wide range where you cheese roll into their attacks becsuse of blind spot near their actual body hitbox, aka the dark souls method, but nioh is best when you actively take offense and use dodge tactically instead of spam rolls.

Yeah i think i am done with this. I don't do the post story side quests for the dlc. super good game but after 90 hours i am done.

Ivan

Arcane
Thanks guys, much like with Nioh I think I'll buy this down the road when it's supremely discounted as I know it's not something I'll love but something that if I mine enough I'll find some enjoyment and get that action game fix scratched

cruel

Cipher
Fielding opinions on whether I should bother with this if I was mixed on Nioh 1 (more negative than positive). Reading Hobo's post kinda sums up how I felt about Nioh. "I got some of that third person melee combat itch scratched, but found the enemy damage % way too high, such that when I finished the DLC I was more or less said, ok that's done, bye.

Nioh 2 seems to be easier than the first one. Plus, if you were bothered by being frequently 2-shoted, I would recommend trying a heavy armor build, your survivability will be much higher. Level design is also better than the first one, with one level in particular reaching the whole different level (Mausoleum of Evil). If you switch to main missions, you won't see any levels repeating itself. Plus, you have more tricks upon your sleeve this time, with Yokai abilities. I think this addresses most of your concerns.

I may be biased, but for me this is definitely the best thing we ever got for Souls-like game, aside from From games. I liked Nioh 2 way more than Sekiro for example. Definitely worth playing, and you easily get the value for your money, with the game length of 100h+.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I liked Nioh 2 way more than Sekiro for example.
Putting Nioh 2 and Sekiro in the same category almost feels... dirty. They aren't even advertised as being in the same genre: Nioh 2 is an action RPG, Sekiro an action adventure.

Screenshot-from-2021-07-15-19-59-38.png

Nioh 2 puts so much emphasis on loot and character customization, two aspects completely missing from Sekiro, that it's almost impossible to draw a comparison between the two. The combat is great in both games but how you play the game in Nioh 2 varies so much depending on your build that, once again, it's hard to look at the two in the same light. However, regarding the narrative, while Sekiro is the usual FS hit-or-miss that many people love and many other find pointless, Nioh 2 is a complete mess. It's really hard to care about what happens in the game while you kill demons. I guess it's cool how it intertwines with the events of the first game but that's not enough. Still, I don't think anyone is playing this game for its narrative, so that hardly counts.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I liked Nioh 2 way more than Sekiro for example.
Putting Nioh 2 and Sekiro in the same category almost feels... dirty. They aren't even advertised as being in the same genre: Nioh 2 is an action RPG, Sekiro an action adventure.

Screenshot-from-2021-07-15-19-59-38.png

Nioh 2 puts so much emphasis on loot and character customization, two aspects completely missing from Sekiro, that it's almost impossible to draw a comparison between the two. The combat is great in both games but how you play the game in Nioh 2 varies so much depending on your build that, once again, it's hard to look at the two in the same light. However, regarding the narrative, while Sekiro is the usual FS hit-or-miss that many people love and many other find pointless, Nioh 2 is a complete mess. It's really hard to care about what happens in the game while you kill demons. I guess it's cool how it intertwines with the events of the first game but that's not enough. Still, I don't think anyone is playing this game for its narrative, so that hardly counts.

I always get surprised when people put Sekiro in with Souls-likes at all. The main thing it has in common with those games is that there are swords and it was made by FromSoft. You might as well put games like Eternal Ring and Armored Core in with them too if Sekiro is a Souls-like.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Just like Souls, Sekiro is a game about memorization. Encountered a new enemy, died, respawned at the bonfire, tried a diffferent approach, died, respawned, finally nailed the bugger, goto 1.

Puukko

Arcane
Dug my teeth into this and man, talk about mechanics overload. This may be the most technical Souls-esque game out there, definitely out of the ones I've played at least. Fiery fella in the room with the scorched corpses was the first real 'git gud' check but I do think this is more difficult than 1 so far. Running a spear and dual swords/odachi. I hadn't invested in strength at all yet this corrupted odachi was stronger than my spear...

Puukko

Arcane
Gyuki confirms the rule of thumb that the bigger the boss is, the worse it is to fight. This is the worst boss so far by a decent margin and I wasn't a terrible fan of birdie boy with a gun either.

Suicidal

Arcane
I though that it was the worst boss in the game and the only case where they brought an idea back from Nioh 1 but actively made it worse.

Puukko

Arcane
Main story beat. The very end had odd pacing, I kept thinking I was at the last boss but it kept going. Always cool when the previous game's protagonist shows up.

I suppose a serious history buff would have gotten more out of the shotgun load of characters that disappeared as quickly as they came. I knew a fair bit about the various demons and mythology beforehand so it tickled that nerve. Isn't it great when video games teach you practical real life knowledge?

Mumyo doesn't look a day over 25 in her granny years either. Some seriously good skin care right there.

After Gyuki, I want to say the difficulty level generally dropped, and fluctuated a fair bit. Boar dude was the last real roadblock for me. I used odachi + dual swords and invested heavily into buffs during the later half. The versatility was just too good to pass up.

Next up, the DLC.

Suicidal

Arcane
Yeah it's bizarre how every character in the story ages except your character and her. Your char has an excuse of being half demon, but Mumyo is just a normal human so idk the devs probably just forgot about her.

Also don't get discouraged by the lackluster (IMO) 1st DLC, the 2nd and 3rd make up for it.

deama

Prophet
So how's the game compared to the 1st one? I remember liking the 1st one but had a problem with the level scaling, at one point I noticed I was fighting pretty much same enemies from a few levels back but they were stronger for some reason, is it better this time around?

Suicidal

Arcane
It's still the same in that regard due to the beat-em-up nature of the game but there are a lot more different enemy types around this time.

Machocruz

Arcane
Started dabbling with this game on PSNow. I'm really out of the habit of watching my stamina, and I'm paying for it frequently. Have died more times in the first mission than I can count because I run out of juice to evade, even with Ki pulsing. Now it's easier to survive if I play cautiously and slowly, getting in only enough hits to leave me with stamina to defend, but I want to play like the cool kids, with their aggressiveness and combos. But I'm assuming that's not how you're expected to play early on.

Also, PSNow won't recognize the back button on Xbox One controller, so I can't access menus. At first I thought you could only equip at shrines lol. Then I saw a YT video showing all kinds of menus and a skill tree.

Otherwise, game is the tits. The combat mechanics and feel are top rank, far better than any other DS influenced game I've played. Very addicting. And dismemberment, which FS needs to embrace yesterday. Main criticisms are far too many fx/glowies on things, and I'm not feeling the yokai abilities, unecessary feature imo. And while I'm not a fan of these incremental loot whore systems, I'm used to it from other games so it doesn't bother me here. Better than Witcher 3.

Last edited:

cruel

Cipher
Yokai abilities are great, another layer of strategy added. Just experiment and pick the good ones. Enki ability can make you escape from rough spots, Kesha's can put even bosses instantly on fire, etc. Fun stuff, just a matter of muscle memory and getting used to pulling them.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Deflowerer

Arcane
I liked Ryomen Sukuna, usually you could spin into the enemy in such a way that you'd avoid the hits as well.

deama

Prophet
Gave up on Nioh 2 couple days ago, played it for about 3 days or so.
A bit of an improvement over the 1st one, but still not that great, I hate that they use level scaling, and I really hate the itemization, +2% damage? Yeah, go to hell.

Puukko

Arcane
Okay, that Hayabusa fight was a cool surprise even if he was stupidly fast. The first mission of the third DLC must have taken me over two hours thanks to the brutal bosses. Tate Eboshi simply deleted my ki whenever she got a hit in and was almost certain to combo. Thank God for sloth talismans...

I like bosses with interesting movement patterns like that - wide grabs, less so. Grabs in general became my least favorite part of the game over time. At least the hitboxes never seemed off point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom