Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh 2

Wunderbar

Arcane
Is the base game worth it?

I'm a big Souls fan but not really the kind of twitch fighting seen here. I can get it for 12 bucks which is not that much if I eventually dislike it.
why not play Nioh 1 first?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Is the base game worth it?

I'm a big Souls fan but not really the kind of twitch fighting seen here. I can get it for 12 bucks which is not that much if I eventually dislike it.
why not play Nioh 1 first?

I kinda didn't care about Nioh 2 and dropped it early.

It became a little too weird for me with the various interrupt demon morph abilities and counters. They messed with the great system a bit too much, IMO - and it became too gimmicky.

But Nioh 1 was awesome trough and trough!

SumDrunkGuy

No reason to go back and play Nioh 1 when 2 is basically the same game but better. Nioh 2 also has character creation so you're not forced to play as discount Geralt. You're also not missing out on anything storywise. These are not storyfag games.

Suicidal

Arcane
0fc.gif

Silva

Arcane
I've played the Nioh 1 demo and was immediately offput by that silly Witcher like protagonist. That's why. So, is Nioh 2 base game worth 12 bucks? Or are DLCs mandatory or something?

P.S: I am a storyfag buy I'm more curious about Nioh 2 mechanical framework after finding Elden Ring mechanics a piece of shit and dropping it altogether.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The DLCs have some cool bosses, weapons, and NG+ modes, but the base game on its own is well worth the full release price. For $12 it's a steal. Just don't go in expecting an experience similar to any souls game.

SumDrunkGuy

I've played the Nioh 1 demo and was immediately offput by that silly Witcher like protagonist. That's why. So, is Nioh 2 base game worth 12 bucks? Or are DLCs mandatory or something?

P.S: I am a storyfag buy I'm more curious about Nioh 2 mechanical framework after finding Elden Ring mechanics a piece of shit and dropping it altogether.

I paid $13 for it and am more than satisfied. The combat mechanics are in the top tier for an ARPG, up there with the likes of Soulsborne games and Dragon's Dogma. Combat wise it's probably the most fast-paced and complex of all Soulslike games.

These are the only Soulslike games I actually enjoy. Everything else I played was mostly dogshit. Lords of the Fallen, Mortal Shell, etc, all dogshit. That scifi one actually seemed kind of interesting but I only played the demo. I forget the name. You played as a dude in a mechsuit type thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Suicidal

Arcane
The Surge? Is it any good?

They're much closer to traditional Souls games than Nioh is.

Surge 1 is mediocre. I got it for like 5$ on a sale and wouldn't pay more for it. I had some fun with it, but the environments were boring (mostly dark industrial buildings), enemy variety was very low, the game had like 5 bosses most of which were terrible and combat managed to be even more scuffed and clunky than in DS.

Surge 2 was actually pretty good. Better environments with more interesting traversal, better combat (I especially liked the parry mechanic where you had to face the parry to the direction the attack was coming, like if it's an overhead you move the mouse up while holding block, if it's a horizontal swing coming to your left, you move the mouse to the left, etc.), better customization. Better everything really. Main thing I didn't like is that the game becomes too easy after some point with all the tools and upgrades you get. I remember killing the final boss by just face tanking his attacks and healing myself because I made my refillable potion recharge really quickly when damaging the enemy so I never ran out.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
In principle I agree the Surge 2 is the better game. Far more polished and developed mechanics-wise. Really, the difference here is quite huge.

However I have actually liked the environments in part 1 more. They are more varied and you feel like you're on a quest traversing area after area.

Meanwhile The Surge 2 is basically the same map - single city - nearly troughout the game (with some changes after some events) - nearly all urban environment (except for the park). With so much backtracking and repeating areas that it actually wore me out.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't know why, but I can't get into any other (forgive me, Lord) souls-like. They all feel, quite ironically, soulless. Only Nioh and its sequel managed to catch my attention with their complex combat and builds systems. I haven't tried The Surge 2 because the first one and Lords of the Fallen completely broke my faith in those guys. Specifically, Lords of the Fallen is probably the only game that I played for free and still made me feel cheated.

SumDrunkGuy

Oh I completely forgot about Salt and Sanctuary. That was a pretty good Souls ripoff. One of the very few I enjoyed.

Silva

Arcane
Thanks for the tips, faggots. I'm getting Nioh 2 and The Surge 1.

The discussion on The Surge 1 x 2 is pretty divisive on the web. Looks like 2 has better systems but 1 has better something (atmosphere, story, world?). I'm going with 1 now that's cheaper and if I like it, will get 2 in the future.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Has anyone mentioned Hellpoint yet? Great game, in the DS1 mould.
Tell us more, young padawan.
I wrote a post about it when I finished it. In a nutshell, the world is extremely interconnected and loops back on itself all over the place, so if that gets you excited Hellpoint's got you covered. The main drawbacks are that there's very little build variety and a very limited weapon and gear selection, and that it's quite a bit shorter than most Souls and Souls-adjacents (if you even consider this a drawback). Still, along with Nioh it's definitely my favourite Soulslike. Nioh for build variety and the combat system, Hellpoint for the world.

SumDrunkGuy

yN02Rbo.png

This cow guy is equivalent of Asylum Demon?

Pretty much. I was stuck on him for an hour or so. The game kept trying to coax me into moving on but I'm stubborn. Eventually I spanked that ass tho.
My problem was I didn't know how to heal at the time.

Sunri

Liturgist
People that complain about enemies/bosses in ER should be forced to play this game, and thank Miyazaki for not going full retard.

Silva

Arcane
People that complain about enemies/bosses in ER should be forced to play this game, and thank Miyazaki for not going full retard.
Miyazaki's problem is exactly not going full retard. He's like a gay dude who wants to experiment a big dick up his ass but is afraid to try and so stays in the closet. The result is Elden Ring, a travesty of a game.

Last edited:

SumDrunkGuy

Sunri how is your playthrough coming along?

SumDrunkGuy

Jfc can we get a little bit of resistance on edges please? Ya get within a foot of water or some shit and you instantly slide right in and die like nothing.

Very rough around the edges is how I would describe these games. Phenomenal gameplay and mediocre to bad everything else.

SumDrunkGuy

Nioh 2 experts, I summon thee.

Edit

So right after I posted that video I beat him LOL. Apparently I needed to turn demon.

The original question still stands. The stamina management is kicking my ass and I need tips.

Suicidal

Arcane

It's been a while since I played so I only vague remember this stuff, but isn't the Ki pulse animation really quick, so if you are making the choice between restoring stamina and dodging, you can pulse early, restore a part of the missing stamina (still better than 0) and then dodge?

Also, in one of the skill trees (don't remember if it's a weapon skill or the general combat skills, probably the latter) there is a skill that lets you ki pulse on dodge.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom