Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh 2

Silverfish

Arbiter
What are you playing N2 on? If it's PS4, there are actually a couple of cheap options that don't wear down too quickly.

Seethe

Arbiter
What's the best weapon class(es) for someone who's not new to Soulslikes but having trouble getting into NiOh 1/2?
If you mean to ask what's something easy for you to use, then the odachi is the answer IMO. Either that or Switchglaive. I recommend switchglaive and get the skills which gives you an attack as you switch stances and the weapon transforms, on the right side of the skill tree. It will encourage switching stances in general, and also switching stances to ki pulse for the extra stamina/ki bonus you get from Flux in the Samurai tree.

Try to get Flux from samurai tree and abuse it as much as you can. Stance dancing and ki pulsing is a skill that must be mastered to make the combat fluid and it's oh so enjoyable.

Ivan

Arcane
Another fucking gamepad down. Drift in left stick just after few months of use. I will have to stop playing any games that require a pad for now, with these garbage gamepads it's getting way too expensive. I looked into which pads have more durable sticks, turns out all of them use the same shitty ones made by same company. Fuck this then. I would love to continue my NG+ run but I refuse to buy a new gamepad if it's just gonna start drifting again in few months. I remember I had xbox 360 pad that lasted me 6 years without any issues, those were good times..
do you experience drift with this specific game or all? I've noticed that for me I only feel it in certain titles...

do you experience drift with this specific game or all? I've noticed that for me I only feel it in certain titles...

All games for me. It might be that way for you because your drift is minor and different titles have different deadzones by default. In my case now drift is really erratic and jumps all over the fucking place so it's not even fixable by adjusting deadzone with Durazno wrapper, unless I set it to crazy amount like 80%, which makes movement way too unresponsive.

somerandomdude

Learned
Another fucking gamepad down. Drift in left stick just after few months of use. I will have to stop playing any games that require a pad for now, with these garbage gamepads it's getting way too expensive. I looked into which pads have more durable sticks, turns out all of them use the same shitty ones made by same company. Fuck this then. I would love to continue my NG+ run but I refuse to buy a new gamepad if it's just gonna start drifting again in few months. I remember I had xbox 360 pad that lasted me 6 years without any issues, those were good times..

Buy a 1 year warranty on your pads from gamestop. Use an xbox or sony pad. No pad ever lasts me a whole year, sticks wear out in 2-6 months. It only covers 1 replacement, but when you bring it back in they'll sell you another warranty for $10-$12. That means new name brand pads cost you $10-$12 after you buy the first one + warranty.

I wore out the sticks on 6 pads in 2000+hrs of monster hunter games. 300-400hrs of heavy action or shooter games is about all the sticks are rated for on these pads.

Last edited:
The fuck I don't wanna be changing gamepads like socks. I'd just rather not use them until somebody cares enough to make a durable one.

somerandomdude

Learned
The fuck I don't wanna be changing gamepads like socks. I'd just rather not use them until somebody cares enough to make a durable one.

Nobody does, and probably never will. The sticks in particular on most of the pads are made by a company called Alps, and they all have the same design flaw. Even the $150 Xbox Elite controller uses Alps junk.

What I would like is a pad as durable as an arcade stick.

Sjukob

Arcane
I have finaly returned to Nioh after taking a long break and it seems that I managed to forget how punishing this game can be, I like it.

I've decided to replay some of the previous stages just to recall how the game works and even though I outlevel them significantly, they still give my lower backside some strong sensations.

I've decided to swap my secondary weapon from fists to spear, it's not that I dislike fists, it's just that I feel and understand spear attacks better. It was the first weapon I've tried out in Nioh, so I'm pretty familiar with it already. Kusarigama remains my primary tool for fighting, and for me it still is pretty difficult to decide on secondary weapon, I am so comfortable with using kusarigama, it pretty much does everything you need. As I've said before, the only type of fights where I feel like it's lacking are the ones where you have to fight evasive enemies, it's where the issues of poor tracking and not being able to easily chase the enemies become apparent.

Speaking of weapon types, you know, I never could find some in-depth discussions on this subject, but it's understandable. You need to put a massive amount of hours into this game to get not just a general, but a good understanding of the weapon types, and when you do, you are sitting at the level of grossly overpowered gear, where anything can wreck anything, so it just doesn't concern you in the end, that's the way I see it at least.

To me it feels like the fists, katana and the hatchets stand out the most. The fists are just all around overpowered, you put in less effort and get a better result. Katana is a "put in more effort to get a similar result" kind of weapon, I don't like it. The hatchets are just sad, katana might be more demanding than the other weapons, but it's alright if you like the moveset, but the hatchets not only require you to put in more effort, they also give you a worse result even if you do. I've seriously had the worst time in the game with this weapon, I have no idea why it's so weak, feels like you can't do anything with them properly. Yes, I have seen plenty of videos show them destroy everything, but in the late game with late game gear. And as I've said, at that point it probably doesn't matter what you are using, you just pick the thing you find the coolest and stack enough numbers for it to delete stuff. And you still need to get to that level, which takes time, especially for the new players.

Anyway, I only need to beat 2 levels to finish the main game, will probably be done with it tomorrow.

cruel

Cipher
I think Odachi stands out as a really good weapon as well. The high stance heavy attack allowed me to retain my sanity during Yatsu-No-Kami fight, it's also very strong against human enemies.

I miss Nioh, maybe I should replay it soon. Both games are amazing.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

somerandomdude

Learned
What's the best weapon class(es) for someone who's not new to Soulslikes but having trouble getting into NiOh 1/2?

Fists and dual blades are extremely good in this game. If I was to give a letter tier to Fists, it would be S+ (god tier), and dual blades would be S. Both are extremely good at depleting ki & guard breaking, and both have high dps moves and rotations. Tonfas are the best breaking and blocking weapons, but fists and dual blades are only slightly worse, and have way better movesets. For fists to be really good, you gotta properly time the beyond infinity combo, because it's the highest DPS attack in the game, but the second best would be water sword with dual blades, which requires no timing. Fist is god tier for skilled play because of that.

Spear and Kusarigama are really safe weapons, if playing more careful and conservatively suits you. In both Nioh 1 and 2.

The general strategy in Nioh 2 is to stack buffs on yourself, and then stack debuffs/elemental effects on your opponent to land the discord effect, and then you can hammer away for extreme damage + stagger them. Discord allows you to stagger yokai bosses. Set that up, and then rek a yokai boss with beyond infinity or water sword.

Last edited:

Sjukob

Arcane
Wait, are you talking bare fists, or are there fist weapons?

There are fist weapons, they are really strong, the only thing that holds them back somewhat is that they are not easy to use.

Spear and Kusarigama are really safe weapons, if playing more careful and conservatively suits you. In both Nioh 1 and 2.
I don't feel like kusarigama is a safe weapon at all, you have to get into point blank range to deal good damage (reaper, high stance light attack, crimson flurry etc) and it's recovery times are long in general.

somerandomdude

Learned
Wait, are you talking bare fists, or are there fist weapons?

There are fist weapons, they are really strong, the only thing that holds them back somewhat is that they are not easy to use.

I don't feel like kusarigama is a safe weapon at all, you have to get into point blank range to deal good damage (reaper, high stance light attack, crimson flurry etc) and it's recovery times are long in general.

Kusarigama is pretty efficient in clearing maps without taking damage and burning through pots, if you utilize your reach advantage. It also default scales with ninjetsu builds. That's probably the safest way to play through the first playthrough. I used Fists and Kusarigama in my initial run of the game, and there were some situations where I preferred the reach of kusarigama for normal map clearing, but preferred fists against bosses. You don't have to main 1 weapon type in this. Later on, any weapon type can scale with any stat, which I like, because that lets you build the stats you want while also giving you the freedom to choose your weapon loadout.

Last edited:

somerandomdude

Learned
Fists get good when you learn reckless charge and dreadslayer. Very quick start up on reckless charge, you can typically lock human opponents down with it, and dread slayer flips you around to their back, so human opponents (and bosses) who block can pretty much be looped into guard breaks and finishers. What typically happens, is you tick them with reckless charge, and when you move into dreadslayer, they typically whiff with a frontal attack, and get hit in the back, and then you can proceed to extend into whatever combo sequence you want with fists after you slip behind their back, ki break them into a battering ram, or weapon swap flux and combo with another weapon.

Fists are good blocking weapons. You can just hold your guard up, wait on them to tick you, and move right into reckless charge, and stagger them out of their combo. It works on yokai as well, even some bigger ones with slower hitting moves, you just time the dreadslayer move as they're attacking, and you'll move around behind them (they whiff). Reckless charge is really good as a first strike against slower mobs, even if you can't stagger them, because you can slip behind their back at any time.

Last edited:

Sjukob

Arcane
Kusarigama is pretty efficient in clearing maps, and you can do so safely if you utilize your reach advantage. It also default scales with ninjetsu builds. That's probably the safest way to play through the first playthrough. I used Fists and Kusarigama in my initial run of the game, and there were some situations where I preferred the reach of kusarigama for normal map clearing, but preferred fists against bosses. You don't have to main 1 weapon type in this.
I am talking about kusarigama's reach specifically, because I play with kusarigama all the time and I disagree with you. It might seem like kusarigama is one of the weapons that allows you to keep a distance between yourself and the enemy, but it's actually misleading. It has some attacks with extended range, but they either deal low damage (normal stance lights attacks, tangle strike), have long recovery times (whirldwind, everything that pulls you towards the enemy or the enemy towards you) or require you to do some other attack first to be able to execute them (tangle strike, whirlwind --> second wind, leaping strike --> water drop). Even some of it's long range attacks work better up close, like dealy mark, the closer you stand to the enemy the more hits will connect resulting in a bigger damage. Then, as I've said, it's strongest attacks require you to be standing close to the enemy: reaper, crimson flurry, high stance light attack.

So, while you might keep your distance with kusarigama, it's clunky and you sacrifice way too much damage doing so. If you like your weapon having long reach you would be much better off using spear or odachi, which utilize their full length on most of their attacks without sacrificing anything.

Last edited:

somerandomdude

Learned
Kusarigama is pretty efficient in clearing maps, and you can do so safely if you utilize your reach advantage. It also default scales with ninjetsu builds. That's probably the safest way to play through the first playthrough. I used Fists and Kusarigama in my initial run of the game, and there were some situations where I preferred the reach of kusarigama for normal map clearing, but preferred fists against bosses. You don't have to main 1 weapon type in this.
I am talking about kusarigama's reach specifically, because I play with kusarigama all the time and I disagree with you. It might seem like kusarigama is one of the weapons that allows you to keep a distance between yourself and the enemy, but it's actually misleading. It has some attacks with extended range, but they either deal low damage (normal stance lights attacks, tangle strike), have long recovery times (whirldwind, everything that pulls you towards the enemy or the enemy towards you) or require you to do some other attack first to be able to execute them (tangle strike, whirlwind --> second wind, leaping strike --> water drop). Even some of it's long range attacks work better up close, like dealy mark, the closer you stand to the enemy the more hits will connect resulting in a bigger damage. Then, as I've said, it's strongest attacks require you to be standing close to the enemy: reaper, crimson flurry, high stance light attack.

So, while you might keep your distance with kusarigama, it's clunky and you sacrifice way too much damage doing so. If you like your weapon having long reach you would be much better off using spear or odachi, which utilize their full length on most of their attacks without sacrificing anything.
You can disagree if you want, but it's short sighted. I beat the game all the way through nioh difficulty, and cleared 100 floors of the underworld, and then depths 30. I sorta know what I'm talking about.

Kusarigama is effective at safely picking off certain enemies. Kusarigama's strength isn't with raw damage, people who want to deal raw damage use weapons like fists or dual blades. Kusarigama's moveset is great for isolating targets that don't have a ton of HP, but can still fuck you up, especially when you're outnumbered. Some of kusarigama's moves can also break yokai horns in 1 or 2 hits, and from a safer distance. Annoying mobs like those ninja yokai, I can pick those off really safely with kusarigama, and there's some spots where you get ganked by 2 or 3 of them at once, and I say a weapon like kusarigama shines here. So, I'm speaking as someone who can use the weapon and pick off 3 ninja yokai gankers without taking a pixel of damage. Look, I'm a power gamer, I don't go out of my way to kill something using a more difficult to use approach or weapon, if I say it's good in this type of situation, it's because I found it to be easy, not clunky. Maybe it's because I played so many ARPG games, that I know how to utilize a reach advantage when I got one.

Last edited:

Sjukob

Arcane
Kusarigama is effective at safely picking off certain enemies. Kusarigama's strength isn't with raw damage, people who want to deal raw damage use weapons like fists or dual blades. Kusarigama's moveset is great for isolating targets that don't have a ton of HP, but can still fuck you up, especially when you're outnumbered. Some of kusarigama's moves can also break yokai horns in 1 or 2 hits, and from a safer distance. Annoying mobs like those ninja yokai, I can pick those off really safely with kusarigama, and there's some spots where you get ganked by 2 or 3 of them at once, and I say a weapon like kusarigama shines here. So, I'm speaking as someone who can use the weapon and pick off 3 ninja yokai gankers without taking a pixel of damage.
Oh yes, I get you. Some enemies just get deleted by kusarigama, like yokis, enkis or namahages. High stance light attack does so many hits and swings so high that it's guranteed to break their horns, on top of it it does massive ki damage, so you are also pretty much guranteed to break their ki, then you can follow up with reaper and if they still live afterwards do a grab. It's very effective and easy to do. I still don't see how it's a good weapon to keep you distance, but whatever. I like kusarigama, so I'll be glad if you could show me some techniques.

Check out my fight with Toshimitsu, I plan to record it on higher difficulties as well.

Silverfish

Arbiter
but the hatchets not only require you to put in more effort, they also give you a worse result even if you do.

Hatchets don't require that much effort. High-stance throw for safety (from behind for even better results), low-stance throw with buffs to safely apply status, demon undercut for ki damage and all the grapples you could ever want and blocking on par with dual swords.

Sjukob

Arcane
Hatchets don't require that much effort. High-stance throw for safety (from behind for even better results), low-stance throw with buffs to safely apply status, demon undercut for ki damage and all the grapples you could ever want and blocking on par with dual swords.
From my experience hatchets ki damage is ass, undercut could've been alright if the recovery wasn't so fucking slow, that shove move, whatever it's called, is weak and performs worse than the similar attacks with other weapons, wolf's rage looks cool at first, but then you discover that when it's successful it leads to nothing, while the enemy fully recovers their ki, and if it doesn't break their guard you are stuck in a long recovery animation and have to use yokai stuff to cancel it out.

I found hatchets damage to be pathetic as well, it's like 1/3 of other weapons or something, I have no idea why it's so low. People say that high stance throws are juicy, but they didn't impress me at all, even with the mystic art.

Hatchets seem to have a good share of gimmicky moves, but when they hit so weak it feels like you are just clowning around instead of fighting.

Silverfish

Arbiter
undercut could've been alright if the recovery wasn't so fucking slow

Undercut is a hit and run move. The recovery is slow, so the optimal way that I've found to use it is to undercut and then back off.

People say that high stance throws are juicy, but they didn't impress me at all, even with the mystic art.

By contrast, I've been consistently impressed with the throwing damage. I've got nothing to back this up, but maybe they took a hit in one of the updates?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom