Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

No Man's Sky

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Then they should make it as tedious as possible to do that, so you lose interest in burning ants fast.
I suppose the planets will be much much bigger than in 3D Populous and Spore anyway. ^^

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Night Goat has point. If Duchebaggery has a way to reveal its ugly, moronic head, it usually does.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
There's just enough info about this game to drive everyone's imaginations wild with speculation.

In before name change, simplification of gameplay concept to accomodate e-sports, console release announcement, etc.
I'd probably trust this kind of announcement more if it was made by Derek Smart. Say what you want about Smart's ability to deliver what he promised after almost twenty years, but goddamn he's been trying without compromise.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Usually, the biggest problem with cross-platform games is that the game has to run on pathetic console hardware. Since this game is going for a stylized look instead of realistic graphics, I don't anticipate that being a problem.

bonescraper

Graphics are not an issue. A PC exclusive version would benefit from a dedicated mod support and better community. Games like these have great potential to get better with time. Not being bound to few buttons on a controller also would be a plus. But since it's a console game, it's going to be simplistic anyway. Impressive at first glance, but shallow. Wasted potential like that PS3 "game" they mention in the interview. Journey. Expect hipster shit like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It looks interesting, but I would like it more if it was just planet exploration without combat.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Could be interesting as long as there's stuff to do besides just exploring. Collecting soil samples and documenting alien fauna will get old quick.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Shit, they got massively flooded and lost everything :s

http://www.hellogames.org/2014/01/the-flood/

P1060136.jpg

Will this delay No Man’s Sky?
We won’t let that happen!

At times recently I’ve wanted to be depressed, to wallow, but it’s impossible surrounded by this team. They are literally unstoppable. If we’ve lost some work, we’ll make up the time. We’ll steal dev-kits. We’ll work on a boat. Whatever it takes (not actual stealing… maybe :)

Sucks to be them.

almondblight

Arcane
Reminds me of this:

The flooding could have been at least semi-disastrous.

"The source code and art in-game is all safely backed up offsite," Kazdal told me over e-mail today, "But all my sketchbooks, source (HD) assets and all the media that isn't in game yet would have been screwed, to say nothing of having to buy all new computers, etc. for everyone. [The] new trailer we're working hard to complete as well as all the concept art would have been ruined. The night before, at the exact same time, we were all out to dinner with our producer. It would have been devastating..."P

Or maybe I'm thinking of another "game developer's studio was flooded" event.

Azazel

Arbiter
After watching this E3 trailer I am now convinced that No Mans Sky will not be the deepest or most immersive space sim on the market, but holy fuck will it be exponentially more fun than the competition.

Last edited:

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
...but will it be a PS4 exclusive? Is it coming to the PC too? I don't think I'll ever get these stupid mystery bullshits that devs do

It was first announced as a PC game, it was only now confirmed that it's coming to PS4 too.

bonescraper

It will be a huge game, and aslo a very boring and shallow one. It will most likely be filled with minigame-like activities etc. A game of wasted potential. Just like Spore.

Why? Because consoles of course. There's only so much you can do with a controller, casual gamers with short attention span and no modding tools.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Looks like a trainwreck in the making. Fully explorable 3D planets with wildlife and first-person shooting and an Elite-like space layer? I predict the following:

1. Procedural generation will only result in reskins of a few planet archetypes. There's a reason Starbound is 2D with very simple graphics.
2. "Global" mechanics like trading, organized space combat, and so forth, are going to be shallow and/or broken.
3. First person shooting will be bad. Actual space combat might be decent, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Systems are what makes a procedural gameworld feel alive and interesting to play in. And they will inevitably be shallow, because consoles if nothing else.

Destroid

Arcane
It's a great hype video, but says nothing at all about the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom