Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

No Man's Sky

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
This comment from below the article pretty accurately sums up how I feel about it.

Interestingly, Noctis let you do this years ago. It’s an interesting idea but usually translates into game as “Totally bollocks and boring”

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Outlander
Apparently it features a copyrighted track from an obscure band or group, which the developer may or may not actually have the rights to use; it's hard to tell with JewTube these days, as they often mindlessly nuke any video that receives a copyright complaint. While inconvenient for us, by some bizarre coincidence their content policies just happen to be ideal for the needs of large corporations.

Updated the OP.

A game failed to deliver on this ambitious concept once upon a time, it'll be shit

Let's wait and see, shall we?

titus

Arcane
Patron
If it's procedural then it shouldn't be very hard to make. However, did I get it correctly, will this be an MMO? If yes then all bets are (probably) off. Also... FPS components... meh, otherwise it looks great.

Dire Roach

Prophet
There's just enough info about this game to drive everyone's imaginations wild with speculation.

In before name change, simplification of gameplay concept to accomodate e-sports, console release announcement, etc.

Baron

Arcane
Some really nice visuals, particularly the desert... even if the Dune worm moved a bit oddly. Impressive effort from 4 guys.

As a space (opera) sim fan, it's nice seeing all these new games revitalise a long forgotten genre. Part of me wishes they'd pool resources (X-Rebirth, Elite, Wing Commander reboots) and just build the perfect space trading sandbox. Worried there's going to be a string of half-assed efforts with none worth playing. Need to pick the best sandbox game and mod the X-Rebirth OST into it. I need deep space and deep space music to be a deep space pirate.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Let's wait and see. There have been promises of total freedom before and we know how that usually turns out.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Holy fucking shit. I WANT THIS

2qdy5o0.gif

It's gonna be shit
:negative:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Procedural generation is extremely interesting from the programmers point of view, and it can lead to quite interesting experiments. But if it would really create vast, interesting worlds for free, just with just a few clever algorithms, it would be used by every game and make level designers obsolete.

Normally I see procedural just as a way to cut corners, if you want something that normally requires lots of manpower to be done cheaply by the computer. The end result is normally that everything looks more or less the same.

It's of course also a way to create worlds that could never fit into memory. The first time I saw it used that way was in Elite, and it was fascinating. But the procedurally generated galaxies were of course still not so interesting as if they were hand made.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Let's wait and see, shall we?

You make it sound like I've already made up my mind that it's going to be shit. I didn't say that, I said it had a pretty high chance of being shit. I'm still more than willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

bonescraper

Interview at RPS: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/09/first-look-no-mans-sky/

In short.

- It's not a MMO. Yay!
- It's a console game... Nay!

“Don’t take this the wrong way, but our background is as console developers, and I think everything about the game bears hallmarks of that,” says Murray. “In terms of your controls, in terms of the fluidity of the game, this is not a quirky, hard-to-decipher experience.”

Oh well, another day, another disappointment.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
So the world will be persistent and the same for everyone, also major changes made by players will be stored for everyone (like extinction of a bird species or depletion of a resource to quote the RPS article).
But you will never meet another player and this isn't about ingame interaction. They want to make a survival space game where you are on your own.
Doesn't sound like they want to build in factions fighting over territory or a detailed trading system, the ultimate goal is to reach the center of the universe galaxy.
sha_ka_ree_god_and_sybok.jpg

Majestic.

I have the feeling it will be piss easy and not feel like a roguelike at all. :(
So my first question to them would be "is it moddable?" and "are there difficulty levels?".

Overall I love the idea, because this is exactly what kept me playing Frontier First Encounters. There I only ever wanted to do one of 2 things:
1. gear up til I had an impenetrable death machine of a ship and have some fun with it
2. explore the edges of known space.
Why not combine both into something even more addictive?

I wonder how they want to implement resource gathering though. Running around on planets clicking on objects and making them disappear followed by a "you found 100 units metal alloys" isn't fun in my book.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
No Man’s Sky isn’t a multiplayer game, in as much as you’ll never see another player. But the galaxy is the same between everyone and actions of “significance” will be shared. If you kill a single bird, that won’t be shared. If you make an entire species of bird extinct, then those creatures will blink out of existence for everyone.
:retarded:
How is this a good idea? Within hours, every species in the game will be extinct.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
How is this a good idea? Within hours, every species in the game will be extinct.

I expect there will be millions or billions of planets and billions or trillions of species. Since the game world (and presumably, creatures composed of X number of randomly-chosen traits) will be procedurally generated by seed, even if a million players each cause ten species to go extinct, there may be 9.99 billion species left.

Starbound already has this—millions of planets at the least, perhaps billions.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I expect there will be millions or billions of planets and billions or trillions of species. Since the game world (and presumably, creatures composed of X number of randomly-chosen traits) will be procedurally generated by seed, even if a million players each cause ten species to go extinct, there may be 9.99 billion species left.
I think you underestimate the power of douchebaggery. Ten species per player? Fuck that, I'll bring Exterminatus to every planet I see.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom