Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

No Man's Sky

Codex Year of the Donut
Youtube e-celeb reviews are less reliable than IGN now. They all just copy each other to maximize views.
It's most noticeable when a mediocre game has some glaring flaws and every single one of them makes a near identical 30 minute video discussing only those flaws.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Well, I used to only play MMOs for resource grinding and crafting. My favorite was LordToadstool (a midget black man with a huge white from and a fungi fetish). He'd run around nude in his explorer hat collecting resources, dodging monsters and ceafting what he could. Since you could get xp and levels that way besides skills I decided to make that my mission ..... until....

the fucking resource cap was tied to levels (same with crafting). You had to be xxx level to even attempt. Fucking gay. It didn't matter my mining, gathering, crafting in all firlds was as high as pissible and couldn't increase on the current resource spaens; NOOOOOO! You had to be this certain level for the next tier. Bullshit!

Minecraft I skipped. I just couldn't get into it at the time and fuck no now.

Well fuck. I was hoping this game might have been something. Damn...

Hellraiser

Arcane
So this game good? I decided to watch some vids like this:

As mentioned just a few posts before yours, people who sincerely think Hello Kitty Games "fixed" the game or made it at all worthwhile are complete morons. And I say this as someone who has a high tolerance for unfinished janky games.

The short version, just FYI, is this:
- exploration is fucking pointless. There's just nothing interesting to discover as the procedural generation is too repetetive. What's worse is that the fucking game keeps generating too many fucking repetitive "anomaly" worlds and systems which are even worse than normal planets.
- every system or mechanics implemented, even those after launch, are too shallow. There is of course a level of complexity you cannot expect from a broad genre-merging project sure, but this is way below what one should expect. Doesn't matter if you want to build bases, blast shit on foot or dogfight in space, it all is too shallow to be enjoyable.

As I mentioned at least 2 times ITT, the people shilling for this game (the ones that aren't complete redditards and other mouthbreathers at least) are trying to get you into a pyramid scheme, probably hoping that if enough people gib money to hello kitty games they'll get some scraps of new content they always wished for.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
God, pyramid scheme games. Dandy.

lol... the No's keep stacking. Lordy. It is almost hilarious.

Last edited:

Curratum

I love how markec always makes fun of the perceived "popamole" other people play but he seems to enjoy the worst game of recent memory.

I have to assume he does, because why else post an autistic 40 fucking minute video about it? I can summarize the game in 30 seconds for you - It was a scam. It is now a bit less of the scam it was 5.5 years ago, but it is still a hideous pile of shit with repetitive assets, a horrible interface and tedious "gameplay" that makes Minecraft survival look like you're playing a mix of Planescape Torment and RimWorld. It's not even fit for sightseeing as the procgen is shit and dull. The end.

Casual Hero

Augur
No Man's Sky is coming to Switch, so I'll finally get to play it! Although... I have no idea how they're going to get it to run.
Regardless of perceived quality, I still really want to give this a try. I just want to land on planets and walk around, tbh.

Curratum

No Man's Sky is coming to Switch, so I'll finally get to play it! Although... I have no idea how they're going to get it to run.
Regardless of perceived quality, I still really want to give this a try. I just want to land on planets and walk around, tbh.

I bought the game to land on planets and walk around, and it's somehow rubbish even JUST for that.

Perkel

Arcane
Oh! That was a video? I just saw the pic and shrugged. Dare i watch it?

Dude has probably faulty ram kit and doesn't know about it. Proceed to complain that game crashes every 30 minutes and still plays 20 hours.

No No man't sky is still boring as it was back on release though there is more stuff in this shit sandwich.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I love how markec always makes fun of the perceived "popamole" other people play but he seems to enjoy the worst game of recent memory.

I have to assume he does, because why else post an autistic 40 fucking minute video about it? I can summarize the game in 30 seconds for you - It was a scam. It is now a bit less of the scam it was 5.5 years ago, but it is still a hideous pile of shit with repetitive assets, a horrible interface and tedious "gameplay" that makes Minecraft survival look like you're playing a mix of Planescape Torment and RimWorld. It's not even fit for sightseeing as the procgen is shit and dull. The end.

I can summarize why Force Awakens is a shit movie in 5 seconds yet I will still watch 145 minute long RedLetterMedia review of it. I dont understand your logic here that if a person watches 40+ minute review of something that person obviously loves that piece of media. It looks like I am a huge fan of pretty much every movie RLM reviewed. Is there a time limit of a video review that is acceptable before its considered that a person automatically loves that which is reviewed? I would ask to explain your logic behind this nonsense but I dont believe that any sane person even you actually believes this.

Instead I will assume that you are acting up because you are butthurt I mocked some game you liked and called it "popamole".

Seeing how I make fun of pretty much every new piece of media, can you enlighten me which one did make you butthurt. You need to understand that mocking a certain game you like must have been a traumatic experience to you, but to me its was just tuesday.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
They ain't stopping.
https://www.nomanssky.com/sentinel-update/

3.8 PATCH NOTES
SENTINELS
  • Three new types of Sentinel Drone have been added: Heavy Combat Drones, Repair Drones and Summoner Drones.
  • Combat Drones use a variety of weapons, including terrain-destroying grenades, close-range scatter shot, and a rapid fire laser rifle.
  • Repair Drones are lightly armed and weak, but will rapidly seek out and repair any damaged Sentinel units.
  • Summoner Drones are little threat in themselves but if left unchecked will quickly overwhelm careless Travellers by calling in waves of reinforcements.
  • Sentinel drone navigation has been reworked, allowing for better pathfinding over rough terrain, and allowing drones to pursue players into buildings and caves.
  • Sentinel Drones now deploy static combat shields, creating a dynamic battlefield. Players may manoeuvre to take advantage of these shields for themselves, or open fire to destroy the shield.
  • A new high-level Sentinel has been added, the Hardframe Battle Mech.
  • The Hardframe can be found at high alert levels or patrolling near secure buildings.
  • The Hardframe is well-armoured but highly mobile, being equipped with a jetpack.
  • The Hardframe has access to a range of weaponry, including grenades and a plasma flamethrower.
  • Sentinels can now be temporarily disabled, either by defeating the final wave of Sentinel forces in a battle, or by locating and interfacing with a planetary Sentinel Pillar.
  • The canisters dropped by Sentinel forces have been visually refreshed, with drones, quads, Walkers and Hardframes all dropping distinct items.
  • Sentinel canisters have had their physics adjusted so that they are less likely to roll away at high speeds during a fight.
  • At higher alert levels, or on extreme Sentinel worlds, waves have been adjusted to bring additional forces in over time.
  • Sentinel base health has been increased.
  • Sentinel weapon ranges have been adjusted to keep targets in a more structured combat formation.
  • Sentinel firing rates have been adjusted for a more dynamic combat experience.
  • The Sentinel Walker’s vital armour now covers only their head unit.
  • Destroying the leg armour of a Sentinel Walker will now temporarily buckle the Walker.
  • The speed of the Sentinel Walker’s projectiles has been increased.
  • The Sentinel Walker’s grenades now destroy planetary terrain.
  • Fixed a number of issues with Sentinel Walker aiming and navigation.
  • Fixed an issue that caused Sentinel drones to fly into space to investigate crimes committed by players on other worlds.
  • Players will no longer be alerting about Sentinels investigating crimes committed by players they are not grouped with.
  • Sentinel alert icons have been adjusted, and alert states consolidated, to make it more clear what state various Sentinel forces are in when searching for a player.
  • Fixed an issue where players may be sent to extreme Sentinel worlds by missions that should avoid extreme Sentinels.
GRAPHICS AND TECHNICAL
  • PC support for AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution 1.0 has been enabled. This is a cutting edge super-optimised spatial upscaling technology that produces impressive image quality at fast framerates. Learn more on the AMD site.
  • VR image quality has been improved for PS4 Pro.
  • For PC players with a compatible RTX card, support for Nvidia DLAA has been enabled. NVIDIA DLAA is an AI-based anti-aliasing mode for users who have spare GPU headroom and want the highest levels of image quality. See more on the NVIDIA site.
  • For PC players with a compatible RTX card, Nvidia DLSS support has been upgraded to version 2.3.0.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause excessive base part pop-in on high-end consoles and PCs.
  • Introduced a number of physics optimisations.
  • Introduced a number of load time optimisations.
  • Introduced a number of memory optimisations.
MINOTAUR AND EXOCRAFT
  • Added a new technology to the Space Anomaly, the Minotaur AI Autopilot. With the AI active and the player on foot, the Minotaur will attempt to follow the player and assist them in combat.
  • The Minotaur now has a dedicated third-person combat camera.
  • The Minotaur non-combat camera has been improved.
  • The Minotaur turning circle has been tightened.
  • The Minotaur no longer decelerates on turning.
  • The Minotaur now sways less when in combat.
  • The Minotaur can now back pedal when in combat.
  • Fixed a number of issues that caused popping in the third-person Exocraft and Minotaur cameras.
  • First-person aiming and locomotion for the Minotaur has been improved.
  • When equipped with the appropriate weapon, the Minotaur can now shoot from its arms as well as its head-mounted turret.
  • Sentinel projectiles now correctly collide with Exocraft, meaning that exocraft now take damage from enemy fire.
  • The canisters dropped by defeated Sentinels can now be picked up while in the Minotaur.
  • Sentinels will no longer investigate when the player destroys a plant or rock by treading on it with the Minotaur.
  • The Exocraft and Minotaur cannons have had their base damage increased.
  • The Exocraft and Minotaur cannons now deal a level of explosion damage on impact, damaging other nearby targets.
  • The Minotaur now has its own bespoke reticles for different weapon modes.
  • Exocraft marker and interaction labels now use the specific name of that Exocraft.
  • Improved the positioning of exocraft markers.
  • Exocraft weapons now correctly display their ammo/charge status in the HUD.
  • Build costs for the Exocraft Summoning Station have been reduced.
  • The Exocraft Summoning station can now be picked up and carried around in the Exosuit inventory.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the Terrain Manipulator size preview to appear while using the Minotaur.
NEW TECHNOLOGIES AND ITEMS
  • A new class of weapon has been added – the Neutron Cannon.
  • The Neutron Cannon is a charged energy weapon that does not use projectile ammunition.
  • Charging the Neutron Cannon releases a fast-moving cone of destruction, similar to the Scatter Blaster.
  • Alternatively, the Neutron Cannon can be fired rapidly, though this deals less damage.
  • Neutron Cannon impacts deal short-range explosive damage.
  • The Neutron Cannon is available to research aboard the Space Anomaly.
  • Procedurally generated upgrades are available for the Neutron Cannon from weapons dealers across the universe.
  • A new class of secondary grenade launcher has been added – the Paralysis Mortar.
  • On impact, or a short time after launch, the Paralysis Mortar’s projectiles will explode in a flash of electric energy, temporarily stunning all entities caught in its blast radius.
  • The Paralysis Mortar is available to research aboard the Space Anomaly.
  • A new class of secondary Multi-Tool utility has been added, the Cloaking Device.
  • Activating the Cloaking Device will cause the user to become temporarily invisible, allowing rapid escape from Sentinel forces, or for a quick tactical repositioning.
  • The Cloaking Device has its own power source and does not need to be recharged.
  • The Cloaking Device is available to research aboard the Space Anomaly.
  • A new upgrade has been added for the Pulse Spitter, the Impact Igniter. This technology causes every projectile from the Pulse Spitter to set its target on fire, as well as deal damage on impact.
  • The Impact Igniter is available to research aboard the Space Anomaly.
  • A new upgrade has been added for the Blaze Javelin, the Waveform Oscillator. This technology applies a brief stunning effect to any target hit by the Javelin’s beam. The stun is of the same duration regardless of the Javelin’s charge level.
  • The Waveform Oscillator is available to research aboard the Space Anomaly.
  • A new generalised Multi-Tool upgrade has been introduced, the Voltaic Amplifier. When installed, this upgrade increases the damage dealt to stunned targets by all weapons.
  • The Voltaic Amplifier is available to research aboard the Space Anomaly.
  • The Multi-Tool caches found in the Space Station and in planetary shops have had a visual overhaul.
  • Weapons found in Multi-Tool caches or presented by NPCs may now contain procedurally generated upgrades.
  • A new piece of salvaged equipment, the Hardframe Engine, is now available to those who destroy a Hardframe in combat.
  • Sentinel Drones may now leave behind Salvaged Glass, a strange remnant of another world.
  • Salvaged Glass may be cracked open to reveal a valuable item.
  • Salvaged Glass may contain a new class of unique procedurally generated upgrade, which applies a wide range of bonuses across multiple Exosuit or Multi-Tool systems.
WEAPONS AND COMBAT
  • The sentinels now deploy their forces in greater numbers, to create more dramatic firefights.
  • All grenade-based weapons have received new icons.
  • Plasma Grenades now deal only 10% of their full damage to the player who fired them, reducing the risk of a fatal accident.
  • Plasma Grenades now deal slightly less damage on impact to all targets, but will now set the target on fire and deal damage over time.
  • The base damage of the Pulse Spitter has been increased.
  • The speed of the Pulse Spitter’s projectiles has been decreased.
  • Pulse Spitter projectiles are now affected by gravity.
  • The speed of the Boltcaster’s projectiles has been increased.
  • The Boltcaster’s burst cap has been increased, so that it can fire more projectiles before needing to cool down.
  • The positioning of player weapons has been improved in VR.
  • The placement of the player’s hands on two-handed weapons in third person has been improved.
  • Heavy weapons (such as the Blaze Javelin or Scatter Blaster) now use a stronger recoil animation, to reflect the power of the blast.
  • Weapon projectiles now apply an impulse to Sentinel drones, pushing them backwards.
  • The rumble and camera shake of all weapons has been adjusted for both drama and impact, but also player comfort.
  • When in an environment that prevents weapon use (such as the Space Anomaly), the HUD will default to a more subtle crosshair.
  • The Personal Forcefield is no longer locked to one plane, and can be freely moved to block attacks from above or below.
  • Different weapons may now be balanced with different critical hit multipliers.
  • Fixed an issue that caused unnecessary camera movement when cycling between different weapon modes.
  • Fixed an issue that caused camera popping and unnecessary movement when using the Personal Forcefield.
  • Aggressive Multi-Tool modes (such as the Boltcaster) now have bespoke first and third person camera settings, to create contrast from non-aggressive Multi-Tool modes (such as the Mining Laser).
  • The combat supply canisters dropped by Sentinels can now be opened by interacting with them, in addition to shooting them.
  • Interacting with a combat supply canister that recharges the Exosuit’s shield will no longer display a full screen message if the shield was already full.
  • In addition to charging the Exosuit’s shield, combat supply canisters may now restore other critical systems, such as health or hazard protection.
  • The full screen messages and notifications displayed when taking damage or charging shields have been adjusted for accuracy.
  • Full-screen damage effects have been adjusted to reduce visual noise while in combat.
  • Armoured drones no longer show multiple health bars for each piece of armour.
QUALITY OF LIFE
  • Teleporting between destinations in the same system (eg between bases or between the Space Station and bases) has been made significantly faster.
  • The cap on owned Multi-Tools has been increased from 3 to 6.
  • When items are added to the inventory and the inventory UI is open (for example, when dismantling a piece of technology), the items now prioritise being added to the currently active inventory page if possible.
  • The visual appearance of Multi-Tools in the Quick Menu has been improved.
  • While piloting your ship, if your current mission is asking you to visit the Space Anomaly, then summoning the Anomaly now has priority in the Quick Menu over the Galaxy Map.
  • If both your secondary and primary weapons are out of charge, the Quick Menu will now always prioritise the primary weapon.
  • Consumable food items now describe in their popup what sort of effect they will have upon the one who consumes them.
  • Held interactions now have a minimum fill when tapping a button, to help communicate that the button needs to be held.
  • When viewing an item in the world that contains multiple rewards (such as the canisters dropped by Sentinels), then health or shield critical rewards will be prioritised in the UI label, if the player is low on health or shield levels.
VFX
  • Improved the VFX for the Minotaur’s jetpack thrust, jetpack ignition, and take off.
  • Sentinel Drones now have muzzle flash VFX for their weapons.
  • Added new VFX for all new Sentinel weapon types.
  • Improved the impact and destruction effects when destroying Sentinel Drones, Quads and Walkers.
  • Improved the impact, trail and explosion effects for plasma grenades and the geology cannon.
  • Added lights to player weapon muzzle flashes.
  • Improved the muzzle, beam and impact effects for the Mining Laser.
  • Improved the muzzle, beam and impact effects for the Blaze Javelin.
  • Improved the muzzle, projectile and impact effects for the Pulse Spitter.
  • Improved the muzzle, trail and impact effects for the Scatter Blaster.
  • Improved the muzzle, trail and impact effects for the Boltcaster
  • Improved general explosion effects.
  • Improved starship damage and destruction effects.
  • Improved the VFX for starship missile trails.
  • Improved the VFX for starship energy weapons.
  • Improved the VFX for planetary fire hazards.
  • Improved the VFX for the various hazardous gas plants found across planets.
  • Improved the steam effect used in various planetary hazards.
  • Improved the meteor impact and trail VFX.
  • Improved the VFX for planetary volcanic eruptions.
  • Volcano VFX update. Main eruption and build up geyser smoke build up updates.
  • Improved the space atmospherics.
STEAM DECK
  • No Man’s Sky will support Steam Deck from launch.
  • Introduced a number of specific Steam Deck optimisations.
  • Introduced support for Steam Deck controls.
  • Introduced support for Steam Deck touch input.
BASE BUILDING
  • The maximum number of saveable terrain edits has been significantly increased.
  • Compatible base parts can now be freely rotated around any axis, allowing for more creative and flexible construction.
  • When adjusting the colour or material of a base part, the holographic effect is disabled and illustrative lights are enabled around the part in question.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause nearby base parts to be deleted when moving a base part.
  • Fixed a case where the player ship would not be correctly placed on an available landing pad when teleporting to a base.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause duplicate parts to spawn within a settlement, blocking player access to buildings.
  • Fixed a number of issues that could cause base parts to snap incorrectly.
  • Improved the clarity of a number of base building error messages.
  • Improved the positioning and stability of the Build Menu.
  • Fixed an issue that caused parts to become deselected when toggling between placement and selection modes.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the base part popup information to overlap other parts of the UI.
  • Added audio to a number of Build Menu options.
  • Fixed a number of Build Menu UI issues that could occur when using HUD scaling.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the paint option to be visible when the selected part cannot be repainted.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause incorrect colours to be applied to some base parts.
  • Fixed an issue that allowed overly rapid placement of base parts.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented base parts from being replaced in their correct location if the player cancels picking up and moving the part.
  • Fixed a number of issues that allowed players to build unbuildable base parts.
  • Fixed an issue that allowed players to duplicate unbuildable base parts.
  • Fixed a number of visual glitches that could occur when building in multiplayer.
  • Improved the visual effect when constructing a new base part.
COMPANIONS AND CREATURES
  • The maximum number of companions has been increased from 6 to 18.
  • Companions are no longer dismissed when a player enters a vehicle or ship, and are instead only dismissed when that vehicle starts moving.
  • Creature pathfinding has been significantly improved.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause diplo-class creatures to be cut out of frame in the Discovery UI.
  • Fixed a number of issues that could occur when creatures or fiends attacked via a long-distance pounce.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented diplo-class creatures from giving their correct specific cooking ingredients when butchered or milked.
  • Fixed a visual issue with the ragdolling of some creature types.
MISSIONS AND BUILDINGS
  • A new building type, the Sentinel Pillar, can now be found on planets across the universe.
  • The nearest Sentinel Pillar is located when defeating a level 5 Sentinel alert.
  • A Pillar can also be found via a Sentinel Boundary Map, a special chart that can be harvested from defeated Sentinels.
  • A substantial new series of Sentinel stories are available to be read at the Sentinel Pillar’s main terminal.
  • A new player title is available to Travellers who read the entire archive.
  • Planetary Sentinel forces can be temporarily shut down from a Sentinel Pillar’s main terminal.
  • A new class of Royal Multi-Tool may occasionally be found when harvesting weapons technology from the Sentinel Pillar’s main terminal.
  • A substantial new series of story-driven missions has been added. These missions will probe some of the deepest secrets of the Sentinels… Please note: Players must have a planetary settlement to begin the new missions.
  • During the course of these missions, Travellers will acquire and reprogram their own personal Drone companion.
  • A new player title is available for Travellers who complete this mission chain.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause inappropriate planets to be selected for creature taming or feeding missions.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause players never to find the needed component during Nexus repair missions.
  • Fixed an issue that asked players for an inappropriate amount of faecium during substance collection Nexus missions.
  • Nexus construction missions now choose from a more diverse range of base parts.
EXOBIOLOGY EXPEDITION
  • The Exobiology Expedition will begin soon.
  • The Exobiology Expedition will take players on a journey of discovery across the galaxy as they investigate and record all sorts of exotic animal life.
  • The Exobiology Expedition offers the chance to earn an exclusive new jetpack trail, the royal Exotic Wingpack, a Sentinel Quad companion and much more…
BUG FIXES
  • Fixed a high-frequency crash that only occurred when playing the game in Japanese.
  • Fixed a crash related to creature navigation.
  • Fixed a GPU crash.
  • Fixed a crash related to base building.
  • Fixed a crash related to loading large bases.
  • Fixed a crash related to planet generation.
  • Fixed a number of rare networking crashes.
  • Fixed a number of audio streaming issues on PlayStation 4.
  • Fixed a rare crash that could occur when loading a settlement.
  • Fixed a rare crash related to Short Range Teleporters.
  • Fixed a severe performance degradation issue that could occur when approaching a settlement that had an active mission marker.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause players to overshoot the end of a ladder and climb infinitely up into the stars.
  • Fixed an issue that could disable planetary gravity when dying underwater.
  • Fixed an issue that caused overly large collision on di-hydrogen crystals.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the combat supply barrels dropped by Sentinels to duplicate in multiplayer.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause popping in the third person camera when running on steep slopes.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause undamaged frigates to appear to need maintenance.
  • Fixed a collision issue with a specific class of exotic creature.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the incorrect settler to appear pleased or unhappy with your judgements.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the story progress within some buildings (such as abandoned buildings) to be tracked differently across different systems, resulting in text that incorrectly repeated itself.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the combat frigate to intervene in a fight but not bring any weapons.
  • Fixed a rare issue that could prevent secondary weapons from activating.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the Terrain Manipulator to block players from manually showing the HUD or the current mission notify.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the interaction circle to appear low res.
  • Fixed an issue with the Byte Beat Library that could cause an empty page to appear in the UI.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the ‘Dismiss’ button to appear when purchasing a new frigate.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the player to briefly disappear as the camera transitions out of an interaction and back to gameplay.
  • Fixed an issue that could allow empty bases to populate the Space Anomaly teleport list.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the HUD weapon panel to pop for a frame when exiting the Analysis Visor.
  • Fixed an issue that allowed HUD indicators to appear over the top of the options UI.
  • Fixed an issue that could allow pirates to unexpectedly interrupt deep space encounters.
  • Fixed an issue that caused a brief glitch in the Multi-Tool animation during the intro sequence.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the depth of field to be set incorrect when transitioning between different cameras.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause flickering in the dialogue UI screens.
  • Fixed an issue that could allow volcanoes to generate on top of planetary buildings.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause gravel patches to be infinitesimally small on a specific set of barren planets.
  • Fixed an issue that caused an identical popup to repeat itself after learning several blueprints at the same time.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the player to briefly become unresponsive when learning a new recipe during a chained interaction.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause bald spots on the terrain on lush infested worlds.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause planetary objects to pop in at the wrong LOD.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I am honestly impressed at how they keep adding shit for free for a long time now.

Even more impressed that there are still people playing this game, because every update just makes it a bigger piece of shit.

new sentinels! with new weapons! new behaviours!
and it's all pointless because the only time you actually fight sentinels is when you peekaboo them from inside a building. and you're doing it just to waste time and to hurt yourself because it's totally useless and gives you nothing of value.
you can polish this all you want, still a turd, forever.

Hobknobling

Learned
I am honestly impressed at how they keep adding shit for free for a long time now.

Even more impressed that there are still people playing this game, because every update just makes it a bigger piece of shit.

They do get some sales from parading these updates around and it is building goodwill with the mentally disabled. Hello Games is a small studio and if they land ~10k new sales with every update, it is probably keeping the lights on. Probably the only real direct income source for them since their 2020 game didn't do that well.

Some old rumors from GameFAQs of all places:

I know during 2013 Hello Games, No Man Sky's developer, had an incident where their HQ was flooded, destroying most of the equipment they used to make the game, and stalling development progress. During this time it was rumored that both Microsoft and Sony bid hard to get No Man's Sky on their respective platforms, with Sony obviously coming out on top.
Hello Games pitched the infamous first trailer around a few days before VGX 2013. Sony was interested and decided to have it play there. The relationship began from there.

They might have a pretty sweet deal if it actually was a bidding war between publishers. Many of the updates were probably (and might still be) directly bankrolled by Sony.

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
They give OUTLAW update , including new starships, smuggling, underworld etc.

Hello Folks!

We’re delighted to let you know our next update is called OUTLAWS and it launches today. This is a particularly explosive update with the focus on the underworld of No Man’s Sky for the first time. We have overhauled Space Combat, introduced a new pirate underworld and added solar sail ships (the first new ship class in the game in over 2 years - since our LIVING SHIP update). You can also now hire your own squadron of wingmen, smuggle illegal goods, and protect your settlement from pirate ship raids.

youtube_16x9_placeholder.gif

Our last update (SENTINEL) focused on ground combat, broadening the risk, reward and fun for players exploring on planet. Similarly we were really delighted to put some love into Space Combat with this latest update (OUTLAWS) and I know this is one the community has been really eager for.

Please check the patch notes here for full details, but these are just a few of the additions which OUTLAWS brings:

Outlaw Stations
Outlaws have taken over space stations all across the galaxy. Outlaw systems are dangerous, lawless places, with frequent conflict (but this all represents an opportunity for players with an eye for raiding passing starships…)

A new series of missions leads players towards pockets of rebellion, where they’ll find an underworld offering pirate missions, black-market technology, and a chance to acquire valuable goods illegal elsewhere in the galaxy. Like-minded players can even acquire a forged passport that will allow them by-pass the authorities.

c24fb1f6ab2ed5f9c032ddfab085280a495b88e1.jpg

Solar Starship
With unique solar-powered sail and sleek bodywork, this is the vessel of choice for those looking to speed between the stars. The Solar Ship is No Man’s Sky’s first new starship since the start of 2020. There is considerable variety across this range of ships, so look forward to scouring the galaxy for the perfect version to match your existing fleet. The maximum number of ships a player can own has been raised from six to nine, so you don’t have to worry about limiting your fleet either.

595d1d49ca2db3241e717e66dea7ded443e17860.jpg

Smuggling
Illegal goods can be purchased in outlaw systems and be smuggled out for a significant profit. A smuggler’s life is dangerous. The Sentinels are on the lookout for contraband, and discovery is only a cargo probe away…

Cargo Inventories
All players - not just the smugglers - will benefit from the addition of specialist cargo inventories to all starships. These high-capacity slots can store large quantities of cargo, and storage-hungry players can unlock extra slots from the ship upgrade terminal found on all space stations.

85f3df66d427bdf511922862b1a8e5c78082982d.jpg

Squadrons
Players can now recruit and upgrade their own wingmen. Collect your perfect set of ships and pilots. Each pilot comes with their own abilities, and can be upgraded over time to improve the combat ability.

Space Combat
Space combat has been overhauled for speed and excitement. Handling has been improved, weapons have new visual effects and enemy starships now have shields. Depth has also been added to weapon selection with a variety of specialist secondary effects, such as slowing enemy engines or disabling shield systems. Ship-to-ship combat can now occur within a planet’s atmosphere too - and pirates may raid your settlements. For those who find Space Combat difficult, flight accessibility has been significantly improved with a new Auto-Follow mode.

1f54e4045bb1bf4f6d455632b4e8c07185bff697.jpg

It’s so surprising for us, after six years to see No Man’s Sky still resonating with folks. It meant so much to the team to see our last update (SENTINEL) bring in so many new players and exceed expectations, and following that it blew our minds to win the “Evolving Game” category at the BAFTAs last week. All this and our Switch version is shaping up nicely in the background!

Our journey continues.

Sean

Last edited:

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Did they ever make an update that adds varation to the planets? E.g., a planet that has a desert in one region, a forest in another, etc. rather than the same biome spread evenly across the entire surface. The problem with exploration on planets (apart from them all being samey) was that there was no point going anywhere because you knew that the rest of the planet would look generally the same as your landing spot.

There was also the problem of every planet being dotted with little settlements, wrecks, lost tech etc. that killed any sense of being an explorer, because every planet had already been discovered by NPCs and mapped out. It feels really stupid to "name your discovery" when there's a space station in orbit and a spaceport with people coming and going frequently.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom