Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

No Man's Sky

Red7

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck
All of which are generated in a style of procedural generation that creates vast worlds that are entirely devoid of meaning and character.
Nothing placed on a planet has any purpose to it, it's all just "throw these few dozen things somewhere at random on this planet, make the fauna and flora look crazy*, and make sure each planet has at least these things so the player can fulfill the minimal game loop".

This kind of generation is also the reason the universe is (almost) unlimited - it's all just pure randomness, devoid of almost any thought behind it.

as u may noticed i dont care about english much as it dosent deserve it, its non computable trash. but certain words are non ambiguous and have logical or geometrical precision and those i see no reason to dillute. i say that cause even if u used word "pure randomness" not in strict sense of meaning of that word its still pretty fucking bad.

there is nothing random in the world cause it cannot be. causality/energy and randomness are exact opposite (unless u make some soft definition of randomness). but lets not get into fundamental assumption of science, porgramming dosnt need even that.

all code/machine is deterministic. all external input based code derivation is also deterministic (after input is determined). machine cannot produce any input as its just derivation, it also cannot produce random input.

most computers make "randomness" based on time variable and user interaction creating only illusion of purely chaotic/random input. even if u use sample like some radiation fluctuation as input its technically not random either unless tha radiation is magical and unrestrained by energy laws.

in my observation most ppl use word "random" as something poorly constructed, or something with little utility or sense, and thats is fucking useful application of word rather than real definition which shouldnt have place ANYWHERE BESIDE ABSTRACT MATH CONSTRUCTS, but still its not mathematical meaning of the word.
chaotic (to me) is not same as random/purely chaotic and hidden information/entropy is not same as randomness or even disorder/chaos.

this confusion caused massive damage especially amongst academic retards/whores and allowed pseudosciences like neo darwinian evolution or dogshit randomness/magic based quantum phenomena "models" to be popularised by banking cartel.

no mans sky world isnt random, its just retarded/devoided of almost any function, kind of like anything that dawkins or neil tyson would write in their garbage books.

https://youtu.be/S89IskZI740

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
All of which are generated in a style of procedural generation that creates vast worlds that are entirely devoid of meaning and character.
Nothing placed on a planet has any purpose to it, it's all just "throw these few dozen things somewhere at random on this planet, make the fauna and flora look crazy*, and make sure each planet has at least these things so the player can fulfill the minimal game loop".

This kind of generation is also the reason the universe is (almost) unlimited - it's all just pure randomness, devoid of almost any thought behind it.

as u may noticed i dont care about english much as it dosent deserve it, its non computable trash. but certain words are non ambiguous and have logical or geometrical precision and those i see no reason to dillute. i say that cause even if u used word "pure randomness" not in strict sense of meaning of that word its still pretty fucking bad.

there is nothing random in the world cause it cannot be. causality/energy and randomness are exact opposite (unless u make some soft definition of randomness). but lets not get into fundamental assumption of science, porgramming dosnt need even that.

all code/machine is deterministic. all external input based code derivation is also deterministic (after input is determined). machine cannot produce any input as its just derivation, it also cannot produce random input.

most computers make "randomness" based on time variable and user interaction creating only illusion of purely chaotic/random input. even if u use sample like some radiation fluctuation as input its technically not random either unless tha radiation is magical and unrestrained by energy laws.

in my observation most ppl use word "random" as something poorly constructed, or something with little utility or sense, and thats is fucking useful application of word rather than real definition which shouldnt have place ANYWHERE BESIDE ABSTRACT MATH CONSTRUCTS, but still its not mathematical meaning of the word.
chaotic (to me) is not same as random/purely chaotic and hidden information/entropy is not same as randomness or even disorder/chaos.

this confusion caused massive damage especially amongst academic retards/whores and allowed pseudosciences like neo darwinian evolution or dogshit randomness/magic based quantum phenomena "models" to be popularised by banking cartel.

no mans sky world isnt random, its just retarded/devoided of almost any function, kind of like anything that dawkins or neil tyson would write in their garbage books.

That's the most random pile of wannabe-intelligent tangents I've seen in a while.

DpQ9YJl.jpg

Red7

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck

That's the most random pile of wannabe-intelligent tangents I've seen in a while.

DpQ9YJl.jpg
oh so u are retarded. btw autism is not real condition/has no working definition.

kinda like vagina
or recession

or most rudimentary math concepts.

also academic whores dismantled concept of meter/spatial measurment to cover light speed fluctuations years ago to cover certain jew fraud stolen model from looking bad. i guess there is no "speed" fluctuations when u define meter with distance light travels in certain time frame.

Latelistener

Arcane
funny how much of it you can leave behind once you graduate to a few space station terminals and the medium refiner:

you buy oxygen for cheap, you convert some of it to have enough sodium, and you need a lot less sodium since you are in a base where your hazard protection recharges on its own.

then you can also do the crafting of di-hydrogen jelly and refine back to di-hydrogen for a continued expansion of di-hydrogen stocks,

then you can refine pure ferrite with oxygen for rusted metal, which you refine to ferrite dust.

finally you keep your finances fueled by combining oxygen with chlorine for more chlorine.

And this is the beginner strategy, before you start making mineral extractors, storage depots, gas extractors, and a veritable network of resource extracting bases to make enough fusion ignitors or stasis devices to buy whatever freighter you want. In the meanwhile you get to upgrade your spaceship to have recharging launch thrusters.
Sounds like too much work just to be finally disappointed in exploring.

Codex Year of the Donut
don't forget you can complete the game and get the super well written ending that will blow your mind when you're just placed right back at the start and told to do it all over again

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Nah, I just actually studied game design and can tell depth from breadth.
I also happened to work for years on procedural generation, so I know when something just looks different but is actually entirely the same.

Cool. I am always ready to try some new games. What did you work on?
Damn, you sound so simple minded at times. It used to be Fluent (who I actually like) that got that label on this forum but Late Bloomer is the new Fluent.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
So, by some miracle, does the new update radically and alchemically turn the game from shit into gold? Could happen.

If you didnt like the game before this update you wont like it now.
First impressions are huge for me in gaming and the thing I remember most about trying to play NMS that first time the week of release was that there was a major shader caching bug that caused hitches and stutters almost literally with every step, no matter how powerful the rig. This was fixed of course in updates but the game should have never been released like that. But what I did play - all 15 minutes of it - was mildly enjoyable. But if I see good reviews after new updates from the codex Mikeys who previously hated it I might give it another shot.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
So, by some miracle, does the new update radically and alchemically turn the game from shit into gold? Could happen.

If you didnt like the game before this update you wont like it now.
First impressions are huge for me in gaming and the thing I remember most about trying to play NMS that first time the week of release was that there was a major shader caching bug that caused hitches and stutters almost literally with every step, no matter how powerful the rig. This was fixed of course in updates but the game should have never been released like that. But what I did play - all 15 minutes of it - was mildly enjoyable. But if I see good reviews after new updates from the codex Mikeys who previously hated it I might give it another shot.

Yeah that first week was one of the most wretched launches I can remember. Its a fine exploration/collecting/base building game now. Not for everyone though, clearly.

Latelistener

Arcane
It still stutters like shit for me. Maybe CPU is the issue in my case though. I'm using an older i5 that was released around the time the game was released. Not sure how people have played this game back then on PC.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
It still stutters like shit for me. Maybe CPU is the issue in my case though. I'm using an older i5 that was released around the time the game was released. Not sure how people have played this game back then on PC.
I get stuttering in the first few seconds but that's normal for just about any modern(ish) game then it plays normally.

Latelistener

Arcane
I get stuttering in the first few seconds but that's normal for just about any modern(ish) game then it plays normally.
One time I've noticed when I looked in the sky and then back on the planet that the game just unloaded all the high-res textures from the surface and then after a few seconds loaded them back.

Overall I don't think it's a properly coded game.

Red7

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck

Its just not true. They either played when it first came out and quit or tried again a few years later, acted like a spaz looking for who knows what. There is a tremendous amount of planet types with exapansive caves and oceans, crashed freighters, bases, outposts etc. The base building is in-depth if you are into that. There are many ship types of which you can own multiple including a freighter. You base and freighter have your own crew of workers. You can name the galaxy, planet, and everything you find on it if you are the one to discover it. There is a main quest and procedural quests. There is a lot more to the game than these no imagination hacks are letting on. There is combat too both on and off planets.
i played first build and some of the later ones where they added freighters, bases and vehicles

all those things degrade game and not add to it. even sean murray was well aware of it; adding artificial grind and useless infrastructure, and whats more import, glaringly useless infrastructure just detract form core game which is walking simulator.

ppl bitch about fallout building, but if put time and mods in it u can make something that appears belivable and useful (partly because npcs using all the shit u build) which is something u never will do in nms.

and walking simulator glorious it could be if they not utterly fucked planet generation in nojewsky later builds. only very first release has nice planets, altho very rare (like one on 1000 or 10 000).

Kouvo

Augur
Tried to play recently but really couldn't find a reason to play it over starsector or x4 or any other game really. Its like skyrim in space but somehow worse. :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom