Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence / Souzou on Steam

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
https://www.youtube.com/user/TAKAPON921/videos

So this is the channel of a Japanese dude who plays this game exclusively. The game looks pretty cool, really excited for it and it does a lot of cool things that I've never seen in a strategy game. Warfare is based around roads - armies can only move along roads and maneuvering around enemies via side roads is how you win battles. What this amounts to is that warfare takes place on a macro, regional scale rather than a localized scale. Attacking one castle means securing the important crossroads around it, which generally means fighting on multiple fronts and often attacking multiple castles at once to cut off enemy mobility.This is different from previous Nobunaga's Ambition games, where you'd just send a massive army to bum rush a castle and have two armies clumsily duke it out. Pretty optimistic about combat in this one.

The other thing that's pretty cool is that there are a million castles. There seems to be a distinction between major castles and minor castles and my guess is that it boils down to economic output, but you can play as factions that have both major and minor holdings, which means there are hundreds of playable factions, unlike previous games where there were just a couple dozen. It seems like most of the time these minor castles get wiped out pretty quickly, but I'd guess it's different in the hands of someone who's pretty good at the game.

crC9MS2.jpg

lBNYZoG.jpg

Overall it looks very cool, maybe not as good as Iron Triangle but I'm still h.y.p.e.d. a.s. f.u.c.k.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
if KOEI thinks ppl are gona pay full price on the same day MGSV launched, they got a strange idea of Steam Market prices.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
if KOEI thinks ppl are gona pay full price on the same day MGSV launched, they got a strange idea of Steam Market prices.

I'm not really sure how much overlap there is between the two, though.

RK47

Patron
Problem is there's really minimal noise on Steam, I had to search Steam for it to even know it existed. If this thread doesn't exist, I wouldn't have known. That's how bad the marketing is.
And then after spending very little on marketing, they are planning a launch with $10 off a $60 pricetag for the first week.
Clearly this game is gonna be a critical hit that triggers the next RTK game to be released on Steam as well.
:fuuyeah:

Yep. Shit should be on steam front page.

I just hope enough tards buy it so they keep releasing their games on steam. What a pathetic situation.

dehimos

Augur
Problem is there's really minimal noise on Steam, I had to search Steam for it to even know it existed. If this thread doesn't exist, I wouldn't have known. That's how bad the marketing is.
And then after spending very little on marketing, they are planning a launch with $10 off a $60 pricetag for the first week.
Clearly this game is gonna be a critical hit that triggers the next RTK game to be released on Steam as well.

The story of my life: work without pay.

I add others:

Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence http://store.steampowered.com/app/392470
Nobunaga's Ambition: Souzou (Japanese version) http://store.steampowered.com/app/288390
Nobunaga's Ambition: Souzou (Traditional Chinese version) http://store.steampowered.com/app/292990/

NOBUNAGA’S AMBITION: Kakushin with Power Up Kit (Japanese version) http://store.steampowered.com/app/363090
NOBUNAGA’S AMBITION: Tendou with Power Up Kit (Japanese version) http://store.steampowered.com/app/363110

Last edited:

Ninjerk

Arcane
:fuuyeah:
It's like someone in the company wants to prove it's a waste of time by making as terrible of an effort as possible.

RK47

Patron
im watching history vid to get myself to buy the game

ikyu828

Barely Literate
i have tried the game for a bit
so far my biggest complain is the in game description for ability, building, improvement, etc, are not clear enough
i prefer if they simply give us the info in numbers

Hideoyoshi suddenly appesrs, doomstacks of 22k marching towards your lands.

What do you do:

1. Alt F4
2. Call a coalition so you aren't the only guy he rapes
3. Use in game editor to lower his troop count/increase your own.

RK47

Patron
Felt too many turns spent just waiting for something to happen.
Not a good sign.

112.png

:shredder: I can still....refund.
Annnnnnd done.
anndone.png

reality.jpg

:hero:

Last edited:

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
The game is very good and I'm enjoying it a lot so far. There's a lot going on and it takes some time to get a handle on it - I had two aborted games as the Anto and Ogasawara that I'll talk a little more about later - but once you do, there's a lot to enjoy. It is an extremely deep game and there is a lot to master.

I'm playing on hard as the Saionji, an extremely small, weak clan from the northwestern part of the island of Shikoku. Using clever diplomacy, I was able to take advantage of my allies, the Ichijo and Chosokabe, to help me defeat my stronger neighbors. I rode off the backs of my allies, betraying them when our alliances concluded, until I'd conquered the entire western half of Shikoku. The eastern half was inhabited by a much larger and more powerful clan called the Hosokawa and I just couldn't make any headway against them. I was lucky when they began a coalition against the Amago, an even larger clan on the island of Honshu to the north. The Amago got torn up by lots of small clans and I was the primary beneficiary, eating up land that had once been theirs. I went from a tiny clan to a reasonably sized clan ready to fight some real enemies.

1CfeYls.jpg

The Amago and Hosokawa are long gone and I'm currently fighting my former coalition partners, the Ouchi, who have taken over most of Kyushu. As you can see, fighting is regional. The blue dots are my units, the purple dots are delegated province units and the red dots are enemies. One of my bases is being attacked by the Ouchi and as you can see, my units are outnumbered. I'm sending units from my delegated provinces to divert Ouchi resources, but it's not very effective. This battle was a back-and-forth bloodbath that took a few years to finally win.

B1B8Uw9.jpg

Roads are extremely important. It's hard to tell what's going on in this picture, but I'm attacking the Ouchi base from three sides. Flanking enemies is critical for success, and small armies can take on much larger opponents with careful maneuvering. I didn't win this battle though.

9crnGNs.png

This is my leader, Sanemitsu Saionji. He doesn't start out that great, but grew into a very effective character. Every character can gain a maximum of 20 stat points per stat, so even cruddy guys like Sanemitsu Saionji can become powerful if you use them enough. There are also characters that start great and become even better.

SAUX6lN.png

Like the fucking Hojo. Everyone with the name Hojo is crazy good and in the three games that I've played, the Hojo have become very powerful.

3lZ7Dma.jpg

This is the world in 1554. From west to east, the Ouchi, who I'm at war with control most of Kyushu, I control Shikoku and southern Honshu, my allies, the Oda, control Kyoto, the Hojo control Kanto and Echigo and a couple minor clans are scattered in the east. They will get eaten up by the Hojo. In my Anto and Ogasawara games, I was able to get off on the right foot but was stopped by the Hojo once we butted heads. I'm still learning the game, but they seem extremely strong and it doesn't seem like a good idea to play anywhere near them if you're a beginner.

omGNydi.jpg

Fuck you, dude, I know.

I like Sphere of Influence a lot, it's something I'll play for years and I'm amazed at its depth - there is so much going on, so much to learn, so much to master that I still don't think I've done everything. Civil and castle development is simple but also requires long-term planning and ultimately serves to support diplomacy and combat, which is the real meat of the game. I'm in a state of constant warfare that requires a lot of strategy, both on the battlefield and through diplomacy, and that is what I enjoy most.

Hard to say if I like it more than Iron Triangle yet, but it is excellent and I recommend it. Just give it time to figure out what you're doing because it is extremely deep - deeper than almost any other strategy game I can think of.

Word of advice:

ALWAYS look for capable enemy officers you can conspire with. Had a 90 leadership guy defect to me with his unit before a battle. Can make the difference between life and death.

And before declaring war, make sure that you have a trio of officers as leaders in each army you plan to raise with following stats:

Leader with high LEAD
1st lieutenant with high VALOUR/INT (since if the deputy has those higher than the leader, those skills apply to the unit instead)
2nd lieutenant with a good combat skill such as sharpshoot or keen spear arts.

If your castle has an upgrade or building that raises local army's ranged or melee dmg, choose a lieutenant with appropriate skill/traits. Masamune's brother has an excellent spearman trait and a red lancer combat skill. Put him in a unit equipped with horses and raised from a settlement with blacksmith built and iron gate and that army becomes unstoppable. Also, make sure to teach skills to your generals. Like that one that scales dmg compared to INT difference with enemy officer.

These things saved me when playing Date vs a Hideyoshi with 200k troops. That and fortified posts prepared for ambushes and surrounding maneuvers in the mountainous regions in the west.

Lhynn

Arcane
Anyone knows what i need to deploy my troops? it wont let me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom