Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence / Souzou on Steam

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So how much is the pop increase bonus, and what does Low Land Taxation do? The militia increase in itself seems mostly like something you'd pile on top of Deploy Draftee.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
So how much is the pop increase bonus, and what does Low Land Taxation do? The militia increase in itself seems mostly like something you'd pile on top of Deploy Draftee.

Low land tax reduces income and harvest for the benefit of quicker crop & craft development speed.

Since they start with neutral tenet those can stack up pretty quickly with Neutral policies like: Retainer Assembly, Land Survey, Suggestion Box and a wide array of other Tenet Neutral Milita gathering & Pop Bonus
Pop bonus in particular is powerful cause it adds up from the start.

RK47

Patron
Since no patch is coming might as well condemn KOEI for a few things:

1. Unoptimized UI and the Micromanagement Hell
They're really not taking advantage of the screen real estate, not enough tables when trying to make decisions. The lack of filters for tactics is a big turn off when you want to transfer generals between castles. There's a lot of information buried in there, and the game derive so much from officer ability yet I felt the tedium of organizing a proper officer for 5-6 cities slowly killing me. It's micromanagement hell.

There's a lot of micro in other strategy game like CK2, but the convenience is there. CK2 is also more forgiving on sub-optimal staffing and decisions. Yes, I agree that there are plenty of automation in NA:SOI if I want to relieve the tedium in mid to late game e.g Development can be set to Suggested at some point. So is facility upgrade etc. But one thing you cannot ignore is the castle add-ons as well as army lead. You just cannot compromise if you want to win against superior quality force like Hojo. (God fuck that Clan. Fuck whoever designed and assigned that clan officer and starting point). Throwing a sub optimal officer on a 10k stack can get you murdered vs S-class tier officer of half the size. I tested these many times and noticed tactics that give insane bonuses coupled with a high ATK value = win with lesser loss.

2. Officer & Unit Quality > Actual Battle Tactics
There are also 2 concerns when you want to resolve conflicts: time and cost. Early game those two seems not an immediate concern but by mid game when you encounter an equal or superior power, prepare for a change of mindset.

You need time because you cannot afford to delay resolutions of conflicts when you are on the offensive. The AI isn't like CK2 where they slowly tumble down to your doorsteps. They are cold, fast, efficient, and will empty multiple garrisons to wear you down and retake what was lost, often these would be lead by the very best of their officers. In short, if you want to take and hold your offensive, you need fast results. But another thing you cannot afford is the cost of achieving that: attrition, unit equipment, supplies and men.

A fast offensive require melee to be effective. If you insist on hitting your opponent with ranged and whittle them down, it's never going to be fast unless you stack the range deck heavily to your favor with a combination of range tactics like Sharpshooter and Enrage. The attrition is lower but kill speed will be reduced compared to melee.

What is fast and somewhat cheap on the cost? Well, go for the high melee bonus tactic. Pierce + Enrage = Fuck them up before you get fucked up. Rarer tactics like Demon Kojima, Heavy Crush, and the legendary Western Ace is also insanely powerful on 1 v 1 encounters that you will want to force this situation every time, you just cannot afford wasting time on 3 v 3 engagements when there are 2-3 hot spots occurring during the battle demanding your constant attention.

This in the north...
02.jpg

This shit in the south...
03.jpg

:negative:

Anyway, this is when the game starts forcing you to becoming full derp cause you cannot manage both battles at the same time - my solution is to employ the strongest tactic in smaller and smaller engagements to reset the Control gauge per encounter. Sure, Bondbreaker with its friendly fire trigger is insane in mass battles, but your objective when trying to whittle down enemy is not to force a mass battle, but to make sure when mass battle has to happen, it is heavily slanted to your favor so a defeat to the enemy is a decisive one.

30.jpg

Therefore build accordingly and use your best card on the heaviest stack as hunter killer unit.
See a lone reinforcement unit coming? Destroy it.

28.jpg

Even at 2 to 1 odds, a Western Ace can pulverize everything, retreat, get fresh men from nearest garrison and sortie out again. Every destroyed stack is one less problem to deal with, as well as a popularity penalty to the unit's home city, lowering their rate of troop recovery.

If you're facing a 2 unit v 1 odds, consider wiping out one before deciding whether to retreat to reset the Control gauge or try to do a 2 in 1. Never allow the Ace unit to get wiped, cause you want him to retreat to front line cities and immediately sortie out again.

What does the rest of the group do while Char Aznable destroy the Federation mobile suits by the thousands?
They siege castles, create 'hotspots' and allow the ace to continually blow up weaker reinforcements that try to mass on that 'hotspot.' What is a hotspot? An area where the enemy feels you are about to commence an attack and gather troops preemptively.

01.jpg

We're not fighting, we're just chilling across the river. Yet they still think we're up to no good. Try to gauge how many troops can you force the enemy to commit to this stand off.

When this music stops playing, you know the enemy has given up the fight and has to recover.

That's all for this lunch's musing. #fuckhojo

RK47

Patron
Was playing Suzuki clan for a bit. 14 years time - used Hojo as bogeymen and went into coalition with Oda as leader.
As you can see this game save went into really weird direction.

NOBU14PK%202015-09-23%2000-54-17-07.jpg

Otomo practically owned the west. I'm trying me best to absorb smaller clans in the central while trying my best to assist Oda vs Hojo.
Also. Otomo aggressiveness is hilarious.

NOBU14PK%202015-09-23%2000-54-21-61.jpg

:lol:

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Suzuki clan is insanely easy, I tried them for about 30 minutes yesterday just to see what they were like and couldn't believe how easy it was. They start with four fully submitted tribes and an overpowered castle. A nearby non-submitted tribe has an awesome officer that you'll get if you assimilate them, which makes your castle even better. I attacked that Hatakeyama fortress the very first month and a few months later attacked their nearby castle. In the first six months I'd taken a castle and a fortress. Crazy.

You have any advice on battles at enemy castles? I've gotten pretty good at defense battles, I just held out against 3500 vs 9000 Takeda attack with the Unno clan, but I have trouble attacking enemy castles. How should I be doing it?

RK47

Patron
Suzuki clan is insanely easy, I tried them for about 30 minutes yesterday just to see what they were like and couldn't believe how easy it was. They start with four fully submitted tribes and an overpowered castle. A nearby non-submitted tribe has an awesome officer that you'll get if you assimilate them, which makes your castle even better. I attacked that Hatakeyama fortress the very first month and a few months later attacked their nearby castle. In the first six months I'd taken a castle and a fortress. Crazy.

You have any advice on battles at enemy castles? I've gotten pretty good at defense battles, I just held out against 3500 vs 9000 Takeda attack with the Unno clan, but I have trouble attacking enemy castles. How should I be doing it?

Put your best stack forward first.
Mandatory Tactic: At least Pierce for melee destruction / Snipe for Ranged destruction.
What you want to do is to smash stack after stacks of enemy to ensure they lose their popularity and eventually unable to deploy troops to counter future incursion. Mass battles when both sides are at their peak is a costly affair, try to avoid it.
I played Satomi clan and that's how I wore down the Hojo. It's impossible to kill Hojo quickly due to their Imagawa allies willing to commiit 10,000 men to save them. But whatever, as I built up my Castle troop, I use the biggest stack as smasher unit with Pierce Officer up front. He started as VAL 75, now he's 101. Swift + Pierce + Charge = Dead. Even Ujiyasu Hojo can't do shit when his 5k stack met my 4k. He routed before he could even inflict 2k casualty.

Castle Upgrades should focus on getting Square Gate for Great Attack bonus and Bailey for Cavalry attack bonus.
There is a trick to maximize Garrison and attack power in castle: First, build the walls, then upgrade tenshus all the way to Extended. Then disassemble the walls use the freed up space for Gate & Bailey.
What this does is it frees up space for only increased military unit cap and attack power bonuses. Even larger castles can accomodate the gunner tower if you feel like taking further bonus or Castle Facility for the rare good Castles.

RK47

Patron
Kyushu Conquest 1586 - Date Masamune
Date Blitz Start execution is pretty much smash n grab, I ignored the event quest cause Uesugi's intervention will hamper progress, instead I hit the Mogami clan to the north with everything I've got.

Form Masamune as lead unit sized around 2500, with a Pierce & Concentrate officer. Destroy biggest stack and keep blockading every castle you've run across. Raze those with 6000 HP till they can't muster anything to fight back while Masamune continue to capture the smaller castles.

End result after 6 month of blitz should be a complete defeat for Mogami clan.

date.jpg

Barely 5 years later...

getsrs.jpg

Last edited:

RK47

Patron
Everything's going so well, but Tokugawa just declared war on Hojo.

01.jpg

I have both clan under marriage alliance.. Damn it.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
So my truce with the Hojo was coming to an end and I wasn't ready to fight them yet, so I figured I'd be tricky and start a coalition against some far-off clan and invite the Hojo, guaranteeing me 3 years of peace with them. When I enacted the distant diplomacy policy and noticed that there were about 15 clans that were willing to become my vassals. They were all pretty far away and they were small clans so they'd get eaten up sooner or later anyway, so I figured - what the heck - and vassalized them all. I'd never had a vassal before, so this was totally new to me.

At the end of the month, all fifteen clans offered up their daughters for adoption.

J9I9KpT.png

Now I have 15 fucking daughters and no idea what to do with them.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Daughter = Lifelong alliance. If there's any clans you don't intend to fight in a few decades, get a marriage alliance with them.

RK47

Patron
Now I have 15 fucking daughters and no idea what to do with them.

Marry them to best officers with yellow/red loyalty.
New challenge: Uesugi Post-Kenshin - 1600 Sekigahara
03.jpg

Following the historical event quest is a waste of time IMO.
Destroyed Mogami clan in the north within a year. Date Masamune reacted by attacking my borders, fended him off.
Then came Tokugawa himself with 20,000 strong invasion force.

03.jpg

This coalition is practically worthless to me.
I will leave it and survive on my own.
Bro-team:
bro-team.jpg

RK47

Patron
00.jpg

Don't you just love events?
01.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

Crossing through the borders of his brother-in-law, Azai Nagamasa's territory, Nobunaga's Army is poised to take Kyoto by storm...

08.jpg

RK47

Patron
03.jpg

Lolno.

04.jpg

05.jpg

07.jpg

With the utter destruction of Takeda Clan it is expected that Tokugawa's next target would be the Uesugi in the North, having already made peace with Hojo in Kanto.

Elsewhere, his life-long ally, Oda Nobunaga is busy in Kyoto...

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

In the East, the two year Hojo-Tokugawa Alliance finally lapses, and it is expected for both sides to renew the pact.

18.jpg

It never happened.

19.jpg

Odawara is mine, bitch.

RK47

Patron
The 47 Clan served Oda for a long time. Starting from a mere fort in Sekigahara to capturing several key Castles in Kyoto, including Nijo and Ishiyama Temple.

01.jpg

For a time, Oda Clan's western success was greatly attributed to the 47 Clan. While Tokugawa puts up a brave front against Hojo in the east.

02.jpg

The 47 Clan achievement has surpassed Tokugawa, yet their vassal status meant they are forever bound to Oda Nobunaga's will.

03.jpg

Until one day, a grave error was committed.

04.jpg

Eyeing freedom and the weak Tokugawa's realm, the 47 Clan announced its breakaway, confident of the Kyoto Court influence and coalition war will protect itself from the wrath of its former master.

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

Oda declared them traitors and relationship soured, diplomatic relations broke down between the members of the Coalition and the rogue clan.

08.jpg

The final straw is when the 47 Clan refused to back down in their war to forcibly absorb the Tokugawa.

09.jpg

Sensing an imminent hostility, a direct interference in the Coalition wars was made, resulting in a loss of a crucial Oda stronghold as a pitched battle began between Oda and Hojo forces.

10.jpg

To add insult to injury, the attackers then turned their attention to Oda's Army rear, resulting in a defeat against Hojo. Oda would not accept it, summoning all his resources at Owari, he went to war.

13.jpg

For a time, the Kyoto Court bought the 47 Clan six months of peace, but their luck finally run out on August 1579.

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

Almost three years after the Coalition betrayal, the Master's rage is at its peak. With the Hojo campaign declared stalemate, it throws its entire force against the 47 Clan.

18.jpg

Without an ally in the central region, the 47 Clan lost almost its entire central power. Seeing no other option, they've almost relocated their main strongholds to the former Tokugawa holdings in Mikawa. The year is 1580. And the truce is about to reach its end in 2 months.

19.jpg

This could be the end.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Hate to say it, I've seen a couple Ascension videos on Youtube and it looks a lot like Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
This shit is coming out in 10 hours. I ran a google search for any mentions of it in the past week and there was nothing that wasn't made by news aggregator bots. This might be the first time in history that the only people to buy a game are me and RK47.

This shit is coming out in 10 hours. I ran a google search for any mentions of it in the past week and there was nothing that wasn't made by news aggregator bots. This might be the first time in history that the only people to buy a game are me and RK47.

Koei knows that their niche in the west will buy the game just like they did everything else. And that no one outside of that will ever care about it.

RK47

Patron
I took one day off work and it's kinda average.
The whole officer play flow didn't feel right to me, as a retainer you are given charge of a district to manage. You slowly do the whole mobile game plot development shit and then the ruler will announce a kickstarter where you contribute resources for honor. Coin, supplies, ore, lumber, the such.

Keep gaining honor and your station increase.
If you don't contribute troops to a war, you don't get to battle.
Now you may think: 'Wow this is cool, this is like CK2, where I, as a vassal get to contribute actively to my liege's war efforts. Time to roleplay an agricultural minister and compete with the rest of the vassals in terms of building a great house under my own name!'

Except... it doesn't work that way. Only honor matters in the station. The other officers not in your control do not manage a district. They took all their troops from the daimyo's secret stash. Making the whole 'district' nonsense a scam that only the player has to suffer through.

I worked under Kiyosu Oda in my newbie game and got bored in 90 mins after expanding my district twice without entering a single battle, suddenly Dosan Saito's ninja arrive and invites me to defect. So I accepted. And guess what? I teleported to another castle...and I was given the SAME, IDENTICAL DISTRICT that I have developed previously.

What
The
Fuck?

This game is so fucking half-cooked.
6c67430a0274169ce8a37d2bff894130e2c48d53c050784ddb330766906ac818.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom