Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Noita - magical action roguelike where every pixel is physically simulated

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Perkel, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Leechmonger Arbiter

Leechmonger
    Gave it another shot. The moment to moment gameplay is still terribly tedious after a few hours. It challenges neither my reflexes nor my intellect, it's just a work-like grind. Oh well. Like I said before, if you're the type of person that loves Diablo/PoE/etc. and are looking for another unpaid job to spend time on in your spare hours, you could do worse that Noita.

• what? x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    • coof x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. forumvisitor#451 Savant

forumvisitor#451
    Grind? Diablo? What?

You sure in the right thread?

^ Top  
  3. oldbonebrown Arcane

oldbonebrown
    While I do like this game quite a bit I also find it pretty tedious at the same time. So often I spend a lot of time trying to scrape together a good run only to get instakilled my some sudden bullshit.
    Sometimes depending on what wands I find I could be even more careful, but the game already drags a lot as it is. Considering how long crippling status effects like blind and no spell casting lasts maybe the game does expect you to just stand around a whole lot more than I do, but then getting instakilled by bullshit later on would be even more tiresome.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Rediscovered Noita since it has one magical quality - you can play it while mining. I kid you not, doesn't even make a dent. This kind of old-school coding brings a smile on my face.

Since I've long since done everything normal the game has to offer, I've been now dicking about in the 1.0, just looking for secrets and beating bosses.

I have to say, Noita is a game for a special kind of an autist. If we look beyond the secret messages "encoded" with a special language and the cryptic hints on tablets, there are no quest compasses. So if you play this one blind, I doubt you'll ever discover all the hidden things.

The game barely has any steam achievements, but there is an in-game "tracker" on the top of the world tree. The game never tells what you actually did to unlock them, but there are a ton of really really silly things it keeps track of.

Like the "New Sun" quest. If you don't have a walkthrough, you will never ever figure it out. Not only will it kill you several times, but the amount of... well tedium you have to go through to unlock all the possible 'cheevos on it...

The guy who did the 33 Orb "true ending" live on Twitch must be a special kind of a retard.

Spell wise they've been pretty conservative with the patches, it seems. The only thing that stands out are the plasma spells. I killed myself like ten times in a row trying to get them to work. I mean, should be pretty basic: don't walk into it once you fire, it will kill you...

- Add a "slow shot" -modifier - it kills you, as it shoots backwards?
    - Add a "chain spell" -modifier - it kills you, as it starts shooting in random directions
    - Add a "homing" -modifier - should be obvious, but you just couldn't help yourself, eh
    - Add a "freeze" -modifier - combining hot plasma and subzero freeze is a great idea

• incline incline x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Space Satan Arcane

Space Satan
    Slow shot could be used for healing bolts.

^ Top  
  6. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

The devs are serious trolls.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Shocker! Who'd have thought!

^ Top  
  8. Diablo1_reborn Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic Patron

Diablo1_reborn
  9. Berekän #11231 Patron

Berekän
    On that topic

^ Top  
  10. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Yes. They're called 'Finns'. You may be familiar with them. ;)

:salute:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. HoboForEternity sunset tequila Patron

HoboForEternity
    This is the first rougelike i reallt like so far. Each run feels TRULY different and it's the only one game i really feel benefit from randomly generated layout and loot. The learning curve is great so far. Like rhe first half dozen runs i didn't know wtf i am doing and blowing shit up randomly and kept dying, after that i learned to approach things tactically and got more and more progress. Some fucks ups due to random factors are actually fun too. Like when i met the tnt throwing guys while standing on a pile of coal, while the previous platform got flooded by acid spitting orb thing that also bleed acids.

It's just incredible

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. HoboForEternity sunset tequila Patron

HoboForEternity
    Made a wand combining magic missile with trigger and luminous drill, got OHKO armor piercing sniper rifle. Died in hiisi base. This is my first real block so far. The first 3 levels aren't that hard anymore as i learned better ways to wand craft and the overall mechanics. But yeah, the combination of what you can do is fucking bonkers.

In some previous run, i got those air blast thing which i combine a simple torch and made a flamethrower.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Atrachasis Augur

Atrachasis
    Yeah, it's fascinating how such a seemingly harmless spell can, in the right combination, turn into a machinery of doom. My first winning run was with a wand that had Gust of Wind as a permanent effect, and which I had loaded with chainsaw spells... it literally ate through rock (and Hiisi, and the end boss, and everything else...) faster than I could move. Only drawback was that any gold nuggets were usually gone with the wind.

But I've definitely found that a careful, planned approach works better than going in guns blazing. If you lose control of your positioning, you die, often in hilarious ways. My second winning wand, for example, had such insane recoil that I always had to position myself against a firm surface (or better, a corner) before using it.

• incline incline x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Space Satan Arcane

Space Satan
    There are distinct milestones and goals to be reached until hisii base:
    1. Dagame dealer wand - either fast firing with good regen or other delivering good punch, but generally fast firing less damage is better than big damage slower firing
    2. Digging wand - anything to dig. Because you'll have to dig every corner of coal mines and mushroom caves for health boost
    3. Good perks - if you are given shitty perks then better to restart than waste time.

^ Top  
  15. Spukrian Scholar

Spukrian
    I try make wands that both digs and damages. I love the Plasma Beam and Plasma Cutter spells despite me almost always accidentally killing myself with them.

Luminous Drill and Chainsaw work very well with the Bouncing Spells perk!

^ Top  
  16. SlamDunk Arcane

SlamDunk
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. fork Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

fork
    Fair assessment. Would he have played more, it would've been thumbs down though, because the game is quite shit. Typical indie shit with a gimmick to lure you in, which turns out to be shit though.

I think he should've noticed after 1k hours though.

• Edgy Edgy x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.