Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News NON-GOG DRM Free Version of The Witcher 2 Details

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Jaesun, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher 2, The

<p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>BigDownload is <a href="http://news.bigdownload.com/2011/04/14/the-witcher-2-to-have-unlimited-installs-on-unlimited-pcs-for-no/ ">reporting the DRM that will be used for the NON-GOG versions of The Witcher 2</a>:</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <blockquote>
    <p>While the <a href="http://www.gog.com/tw2/?pp=cb4e5208b4cd87268b208e49452ed6e89a68e0b8">GoG.com version of The Witcher 2 will still be DRM free</a>, other copies, including the retail version, of the upcoming fantasy RPG will have a DRM set-up. In a streaming press conference today, developer CD Projekt announced that they are using SecuROM for the game's DRM program However the developer also said that the game will only use the system in order to keep pirates from leaking the game before its scheduled release date of May 17.</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>The game will need a one-time login to the internet to start playing but will not have an "always on" set up to continue playing the game. The Witcher 2 will let PC gamers have unlimited installs on an unlimited amount of PCs and will let people play it on up to five PCs at once.</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>In related news, The Witcher 2 will have an optional registration that will alert players to future patches as well as give them access to free content updates.</p>
    </blockquote>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>You can of course get your <a href="http://www.gog.com/tw2/?pp=cb4e5208b4cd87268b208e49452ed6e89a68e0b8">GOG DRM FREE Pre-Order Version here</a>.</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>Spotted at: <a href="http://news.bigdownload.com/2011/04/14/the-witcher-2-to-have-unlimited-installs-on-unlimited-pcs-for-no/ ">BigDownload</a></p>

^ Top  
  2. markec Twitterbot Patron

markec
    Codex 2012 Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    FUCK YOU DRM!

Even my retail version will be tainted.

^ Top  
  3. racofer Thread Incliner

racofer
    :smug:

^ Top  
  4. ortucis Prophet

ortucis
    Heh...

Good Old Games: DRM is ineffective, can cause piracy

^ Top  
  5. BelisariuS.F Augur

BelisariuS.F
    Let's just hope that later they will release a patch that removes the DRM, as they did with the first Witcher.

^ Top  
  6. el Supremo Liturgist

el Supremo
  7. Malakal Arcane

Malakal
    Seems reasonable enough. Honestly, some people here are way too butthurt over DRM, not all of it is bad and this one isnt bad at all. Unless there is a hidden hook here...

^ Top  
  8. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Figured it would be something like this to leverage as many GoG sales as possible.

^ Top  
  9. WalterKinde Scholar

WalterKinde
    Watched the Live Video Stream Conference today what was said about the DRM.
    Securom, unlimited installs, one time internet connection to activate, you are only limited to 5 pc at once (which means securom will be phoning somewhere to discover how many pcs its installed on probably the Atari servers)
    Already Cancelled my premium retail version and switched to the GOG version, so i'll miss having a physical copy of the swag that comes with the retail version but i have to take a stand on this drm bullshit.

^ Top  
  10. hakuroshi Augur

hakuroshi
    I wonder if I'll still be downloading drm-free twitcher from gog servers when others finished playing and stuffed their drm-infected disk somwhere.

^ Top  
  11. Pelvis Knot Cipher

Pelvis Knot
    ^ Top  
  12. Ptosio Arcane

Ptosio
    DRM is not a problem, just buy it on gog; I'd rather take issue with a practice of cutting stuff out of the game and selling it as a DLC(ie. special finishers), that's the real decline.

Now let's flame CD-Projekt.

^ Top  
  13. Ptosio Arcane

Ptosio
    DRM is not a problem, just buy it on gog; I'd rather take issue with a practice of cutting stuff out of the game and selling it as a DLC(ie. special finishers), that's the real decline.

Now let's flame CD-Projekt.

^ Top  
  14. thekdawg21 Augur

thekdawg21
    Project: Eternity
    That link is for the Enhanced Edition of The Witcher 1.

^ Top  
  15. kasmas Educated

kasmas
    Securom ! what they are thinking?

there is no way i will ever install that shit on my pc

^ Top  
  16. Lexx Cipher

Lexx
    Then you buy the GOG version and don't have any Securom.

^ Top  
  17. Ulminati Kamelåså! Patron

Self-Ejected
    Or you pirate it and don't have any Securom

^ Top  
  18. MicoSelva Prestigious Gentleman Don't call Abigail Patron

MicoSelva
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I recently reinstalled DreamFall (a 100% legit copy), which also uses SecuRom or some similar shit containing a driver incompatible ith Windows 7 (only installed the game on Windows XP before), meaning I wasn't able to start the game, as the DRM driver failed to work and the game refused to cooperate without it.
    Being slightly computer savvy I just replaced the exe with a cracked one - problem solved. But it wasted my time, and I shouldn't have had to do that in the first place.

There was also this issue with Bioshock refusing to activate at all, but that might as well have been some cosmic guardian trying to spare me the time I would waste on a shitty game.

^ Top  
  19. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    I'll still buy the retail version since I have some kind of inner aversion toward paying for downloads. Also I want the goodies in the box.

^ Top  
  20. Antihero Educated

Antihero
    That'll teach 'em to sell us a DRM free version available for download. OTOH, didn't they at one point mention their strategy is to send out "cough up some money now or get sued" letters to people they catch file-sharing it?

Hm. While it shouldn't make any difference in game play, I can't help but feel a little cheated there, even if as they say in their FAQ, it was otherwise going to be cut from the game. Retextured items or ones with ridiculous stats I couldn't care less about. But what are they talking about selling? A few KB of animations?

On the bright side, if you "pre-order" on GOG, you get two weeks to wait for more information to see if it's worth buying for real after the game comes out.

^ Top  
  21. Bruticis Guest

Bruticis
    Isn't the DRM strategy typically determined by the publisher, not the developer?

^ Top  
  22. DragoFireheart all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

DragoFireheart
    Who gives a shit? If it has DRM, I blame both parties. I blame the publishers for choosing it and I blame the developers for being party to it.

^ Top  
  23. Bruticis Guest

Bruticis
    Sounds logical. They should just go back to putting disks in a zip-lock bag and selling them in mall kiosks and radio shack.

^ Top  
  24. Blackadder Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Blackadder
    No, they should go back to using a simple CD/DVD check. No online component.

I am glad my Troika games didn't have this online checking rubbish, otherwise I would have to sail the seven seas in order to play them today.

^ Top  
  25. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    "enters the battlefield" still sounds fucking retarded.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.