Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Non-post apocalyptic sci-fi RPG thread

Gregz

Arcane
Goblinization is kinda post-apoc, so I'm going to exclude Shadowrun.

I'm also going to exclude the Star Wars Universe because it's too iconic.

Assuming the above, Mass Effect 1 easily has the best story and most interesting setting. Gameplay, itemization, and the rest are all serviceable. It's my favorite "pure sci-fi" cRPG.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
The ps2 wiz is a post-apoc game. I'm not very far, but what I'm told is a flash of light destroyed the beautiful city whose ruins I delve, and there's a permafrost over the whole land now. You basically take quests to help characters cope with the destruction, either bury the past or learn something about themselves. This was revealed later in the plot, like 2 minutes after starting.

mondblut

Arcane
This is a thread for the best kind of RPG: the real sci-fi RPGs.
RPGs that are actually post apocalyptic but it is not revealed until later in the plot are acceptable.

But what if post apocalyptic has happened but nobody gives a fuck, having moved to the stars? :philosoraptor:

What's your favorite sci-fi RPG?
What sci-fi RPG are you looking forward to?
What's a lesser known sci-fi RPG do you think people should play?

Buck Rogers ofc.

Hard Nova was okay. Planet's Edge... not so okay. Megatraveller... not so okay either. Star Command okay.

JDR13

Arcane
Speaking of Japs and Sci-fi RPGs, Phantasy Star 1 was legit good for its time. Too bad the sequels weren't on the same level.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
F:NV has good gun mechanics? :hahano:

Most games have a generic "pistol ammo" and "smg ammo" as if you can't use a 9mm round in a 9mm pistol and a 9mm submachine gun but could use a .45 ACP in a 9mm pistol. The game offers hollow point, AP, incendiary, explosive, slugs, dragon breath, etc, etc, etc and you can use reloading bench.

Other games like XCOM limits the gun ranges to few meters and i hate it.

This is how firearms needs to be

JDR13

Arcane
F:NV has good gun mechanics? :hahano:

Most games have a generic "pistol ammo" and "smg ammo" as if you can't use a 9mm round in a 9mm pistol and a 9mm submachine gun but could use a .45 ACP in a 9mm pistol. The game offers hollow point, AP, incendiary, explosive, slugs, dragon breath, etc, etc, etc and you can use reloading bench.

Not sure if that really qualifies as "mechanics", but yes, NV does have a wide selection of ammo.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
scifi rpgs use futuristic weapons with fictional ammunition. Firearms are reserved for rpgs set in either post-apocalyptic or contemporary settings.

Sure, but why not make fictional ammo who makes sense? Eg, if i an fighting vampires, let me use UV ammo, if i an fighting droids, electro magnetic ammo. FNV has this types of ammo for energy weapons

Not sure if that really qualifies as "mechanics", but yes, NV does have a wide selection of ammo.

And reloading bench, durability, crippling and exploding, etc

Wunderbar

Arcane
scifi rpgs use futuristic weapons with fictional ammunition. Firearms are reserved for rpgs set in either post-apocalyptic or contemporary settings.
Sure, but why not make fictional ammo who makes sense? Eg, if i an fighting vampires, let me use UV ammo, if i an fighting droids, electro magnetic ammo. FNV has this types of ammo for energy weapons
try out underrail

ManaJunkie

Arbiter
Star Quest: Star Warrior + Resque at Rigel
931498-starquest-rescue-at-rigel-apple-ii-screenshot-hit-the-robot.png

Sentinel Worlds: Future Magic
634379-sentinel-worlds-i-future-magic-dos-screenshot-a-peaceful-town.png

Star Command
189273-star-command-dos-screenshot-character-generation-the-stats.png

Mines of Titan
5590-mars-saga-dos-screenshot-exploring-primus-city.gif

B.A.T.
14508-b-a-t-dos-screenshot-character-creation.gif

Circuit´s Edge
3597-circuit-s-edge-dos-screenshot-talking-to-a-drug-dealer.gif

Spacewrecked
206695-spacewrecked-14-billion-light-years-from-earth-dos-screenshot.png

Hired Guns
58778-hired-guns-dos-screenshot-team-members-can-be-doing-different.gif

Shadoworlds
208735-shadoworlds-dos-screenshot-start-of-game.png

Whale´s Voyage
633986-whale-s-voyage-dos-screenshot-combat-screen-you-clumsily-select.png

Whale´s Voyage 2
635243-whale-s-voyage-ii-die-ubermacht-dos-screenshot-this-planet.png

Albion and Martian Dreams if you want....

Anton_Celeron

Novice
For me, my favourite sci-fi space game is definitely Space Rangers 2.
Whether or not it is an rpg is for true intellectuals to decide. But you can play a role for sure, even though it is limited to a cop, trader, general-do-gooder, or a space-pirate! in the "main" gameplay section, there are also text quests, which are, at times, fully fleshed out games inside the main game with some Cnc.
But really, mechanically the game is closer to a 4x strategy with complex systems like: global economy, technology advancement through time, ai simulation, with other npc's advancing naturally along with you and fighting for the same goals. The most lacking part i guess would be the combat, which is basic tbh.
As for the upcoming releases, i'm really looking forward to the colony ship, hopefully it arrives next year.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Not sure if already mentioned and those are console;
Shadowrun for Sega Genesis (good)
Shadowrun for SNES (meh)

Also some of the mentioned titles are not SF but fantasy (in space)!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom