Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Note of the Outskirts - an oldie blobber released

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Tags: CryptRat; Note of the Outskirts

RPG Codex is a close-knit community of many bros. Some try their hand at making their own prestigious games, and they should be supported in this, so imagine my disgust when I learnt that Note of the Outskirts, an old-school dungeon crawler by community member CryptRat has not yet been posted about on the frontpage, even though it was released over a month ago.

So there you have it, folks:

Note of the outskirts

Close future. Rumors say megacorps are getting mad over a possible treasure. Bandits, mercenaries and opportunistic merchants are showing up, and of course you're too. Whatever it is, you're determined to find it and sell it to whoever will propose the best price. That's where the adventure begins.

Note of the outskirts is a classic party-based role playing game in the vein of titles such as the original Wasteland.

Features :

- One big handcrafted open dungeon: with a secret in (almost) every corner and multiple paths to the end
- Sandbox approach and interactive environment: solve riddles or use dynamite, swim or freeze water, melt ice, cut trees
- Party creation: bring up to 7 characters to life with 6 main attributes and dozens of skills and feats
- Classic round-based combat: weapons have different modes, and some can also be used out of combat
- Resource management: buy grenades, bandages and shield creation nanobots before travelling forth
- About 10 hours of gameplay
- No story: you'll have to make it yourself
- An automap: but don't use it
- Mod support.​

The game certainly looks and sounds like a treat! I've been looking for an RPG to let me fell trees ever since I got to ride turtles in Grimoire. But most importantly, you can grab it for free at itch.io. Unless you're too scared of facing this guy and his penetrating glare.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Incline from ratman:incline:

This game is great, you should all play it (and get butthurt at a certain teleporter and ragequit immediately).

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm not sure about immediately, it took me three parties to figure out there even is a teleporter, ten more to figure out where it is :argh:
It's a nice minefield, eh? :lol:
I have tried to extinguish fire nearby and it spread under my party. It became kebab in two rounds.

V_K

Arcane
I'm not sure about immediately, it took me three parties to figure out there even is a teleporter, ten more to figure out where it is :argh:
It's a nice minefield, eh? :lol:
I have tried to extinguish fire nearby and it spread under my party. It became kebab in two rounds.
Depends. The minefield itself is quite fair - you get warnings about traps (if you have the skill), and you have ways to mitigate them. But that teleporter is utter bullshit.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Depends. The minefield itself is quite fair - you get warnings about traps (if you have the skill), and you have ways to mitigate them. But that teleporter is utter bullshit.
Nah, if you have mapping skill (and tools, for example, from a starting party), you can easily detect it. You will lose your bearings, or, if you are really lucky, see a new coordinates.

V_K

Arcane
Nah, if you have mapping skill (and tools, for example, from a starting party), you can easily detect it. You will lose your bearings, or, if you are really lucky, see a new coordinates.
It's literally within five steps of the starting square. It takes longer to figure that stuff out, and by that time you're already fucked. Possibly more than once.
Besides, my parties often got lost even before they got to the teleporter, so it's not a terribly reliable sign.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Darth Roxor
has not yet been posted about on the frontpage
Well... I'm pretty sure that saw it yesterday. Was it removed or do my old eyes failed me?
jfOdBLcw_o.png

V_K

Arcane
The only thing more awkward than posting when drunk - moderating when drunk.
Whoever said you should drink in moderation, didn't mean that.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
But if the newspost itself says this game was released a month ago, then the date needs to be rolled back by a month continuously until we reach a temporal singularity and find ourselves standing before the face of God.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Just edit newspost to include "version 1.0.13 released" and summon DU (?) to roll it back.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Played it for a bit and it's pretty good. I hope you'll go commercial one day, even if it's going to be a side gig.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom