Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Notes about the next DG

lightbane

Arcane
Yup, just like in the original. Although you've just given me an idea on how to increase the length of the game... :troll:

It was visible in the original indeed, but now it looks more pronounced due having less options, I guess.
Also, eagerly awaiting for the 256 colors mode as a DLC.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
EKEUak3XkAA77Hb

EKMI4KFWkAA3qcf

Homing mines? Dark areas?

Ban this sick filth. ~Darth Roxor

lightbane

Arcane
In the dark future, not only mechs are too clunky to use melee weapons, but the technology behind flashlights has been lost too.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Blue again? I like the change of color from one game to another.
I considered changing the color scheme for this project, but it grew on me, and I believe DGT didn't quite utilize the full potential of this color scheme and style.

Besides, you're playing as an Eberbach agent again, so it makes sense to follow the 'Bright Corp = orange, Eberbach = blue, others = whatever makes sense' convention.

lightbane

Arcane
Blue again? I like the change of color from one game to another.
I considered changing the color scheme for this project, but it grew on me, and I believe DGT didn't quite utilize the full potential of this color scheme and style.

Besides, you're playing as an Eberbach agent again, so it makes sense to follow the 'Bright Corp = orange, Eberbach = blue, others = whatever makes sense' convention.
I was hoping for a green color to complete the ME3 ending. Also, another game already? I still haven't played the 2nd one!
It seems it still features random German though. Have the corps figured out how to upscale knives and clubs for giant robots already, or not yet?

lightbane

Arcane
Have the corps figured out how to upscale knives and clubs for giant robots already, or not yet?
You have a beam sword as a side weapon and some enemies are equipped with melee weapons too.
That's something. Unfortunately, chances are said sword consumes energy used for other weapons and/or systems, right?
At least now we'll have a proper door-opener device.
Will there be more mines? And new types of mines?

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Unfortunately, chances are said sword consumes energy used for other weapons and/or systems, right?
Yes, it consumes energy, but it can be upgraded to become a devastating weapon. Its main downside is that it can only be used for stationary attacks, making it harder to use in certain situations.
On the other hand, you can expand your energy capacity and use portable batteries to regain energy over time in the field.

Will there be more mines? And new types of mines?
2 new types (energy and EMP), but there are fewer mines in the game. There's a higher focus on other interactive objects, such as jammers (which were absent in DGT), laser tripwires, turrets, and the way they work together and how you can use your abilities to deal with them.

As an example of an in-game situation: imagine you're stuck in a dark zone and trying to find a jammer that generates it. You've found it by ear, but it's in a room blocked by a forcefield, and your access level is too low to get inside.

In DGS you'd have to find a key, turn off the forcefield, and smash that jammer. Here, on the other hand, you can also use an ice pick on a control panel to reduce its access level or use a pulse attack (used by the Wraith boss in DGS, if you remember) to fry it from the outside. However, these opportunities won't be available from the very beginning.

lightbane

Arcane
Yes, it consumes energy, but it can be upgraded to become a devastating weapon. Its main downside is that it can only be used for stationary attacks, making it harder to use in certain situations.
I guess moving into a charge attack is a lost technology, even though the robotic suits can ram each other like drunken robot boxers all the time.
Does the sword have its own energy supply then, or does it use the one from your suit?

On the other hand, you can expand your energy capacity and use portable batteries to regain energy over time in the field.
IIRC, energy is only used for your shield in the sequel and not much else, as the laser rifle had magazines. Would the sword use the energy for your shield then?

2 new types (energy and EMP), but there are fewer mines in the game.
Roxor approves.
Shame, I hoped we would get some of the times I mentioned in that list a while ago, like the dud mines for maximum cruelty.

As an example of an in-game situation: imagine you're stuck in a dark zone and trying to find a jammer that generates it. Y
Flashlights are a lost technology it seems.
Would the radar also be broken as well during said dark zones?

Perhaps by the 4th game someone will rediscover the idea of giving the giant robots a club or a sword for combat in such tight, cramped spaces.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I guess moving into a charge attack is a lost technology, even though the robotic suits can ram each other like drunken robot boxers all the time.
Does the sword have its own energy supply then, or does it use the one from your suit?
Not really, it's more of a question of usability by the suit itself -- getting your hand off your weapon, reaching towards the sword, swinging it, then putting it back is a long action, while ramming is performed with basic movement.
The sword uses the internal battery just like the shield, booster, pulse attack, some laser fire modes, and long-range scanning.

IIRC, energy is only used for your shield in the sequel and not much else, as the laser rifle had magazines. Would the sword use the energy for your shield then?
It was also used for the booster ability. As for the rest, read above.

Shame, I hoped we would get some of the times I mentioned in that list a while ago, like the dud mines for maximum cruelty.
Duds were considered and even implemented, but I haven't found any practical use for them. Maybe in a much bigger project.

Flashlights are a lost technology it seems.
Again -- these 'dark' zones are called that way due to the way the effect is presented. In reality, this is interference screwing with your visual sensors.

Would the radar also be broken as well during said dark zones?
Depends on the area. In some areas the it's borked anyway and you're supposed to navigate on your own without the minimap or long-range scanning.

Perhaps by the 4th game someone will rediscover the idea of giving the giant robots a club or a sword for combat in such tight, cramped spaces.
Nothing beats good old ramming attacks. ;)

lightbane

Arcane
Not really, it's more of a question of usability by the suit itself -- getting your hand off your weapon, reaching towards the sword, swinging it, then putting it back is a long action, while ramming is performed with basic movement.
That's why you implement the blade into the arms for a quicker access. Or carry the sword in one hand and the gun in the other, since the 'bots shouldn't need both hands to fire the smaller weapons.

Again -- these 'dark' zones are called that way due to the way the effect is presented. In reality, this is interference screwing with your visual sensors.
I know, I was joking.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
That's why you implement the blade into the arms for a quicker access. Or carry the sword in one hand and the gun in the other, since the 'bots shouldn't need both hands to fire the smaller weapons.
Yes, but this model doesn't have that. You might get a configuration like this in future games, though.

That and I keep dreaming of a simple melee system on top of that with minor limb upgrade to let you kick/punch/throw enemies as the last resort. :positive:

lightbane

Arcane
That and I keep dreaming of a simple melee system on top of that with minor limb upgrade to let you kick/punch/throw enemies as the last resort.
That should be ideal, unless the Robotic Combat Suits' arm limbs are completely fixed and cannot move much, if at all. Of course, that works better if limbs have their own HP pool, so that you cannot punch yourself to death (there was an obscure FPS starring a ninja where you could do just that).

Also, relevant:

4c5351e2dbf101379471b2b8b6263c0d44fdd82c476bcea66a29ea206d2b04b9.gif

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
That and I keep dreaming of a simple melee system on top of that with minor limb upgrade to let you kick/punch/throw enemies as the last resort.
That should be ideal, unless the Robotic Combat Suits' arm limbs are completely fixed and cannot move much, if at all. Of course, that works better if limbs have their own HP pool, so that you cannot punch yourself to death (there was an obscure FPS starring a ninja where you could do just that).

Also, relevant:

4c5351e2dbf101379471b2b8b6263c0d44fdd82c476bcea66a29ea206d2b04b9.gif
Limb system is something I wanted to do since DGS and it would add a nice layer of complexity to the series.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Launched the Steam page for the current entry. Working on the trailer and the public demo now, will create a separate thread in the GRPG subforum once the trailer ready.

SoupNazi

Stupidly, searching for it in Steam without the ä does not let you find it.

I don't enjoy dungeon crawlers at all, but I am absoluetly in love with the visuals you've got going. I'll definitely try the demo at least, maybe I'll grow into it. I'm a sucker for this kind of minimalist aesthetic.

Last edited by a moderator:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Stupidly, searching for it in Steam without the ä does not let you find it.

I don't enjoy dungeon crawlers at all, but I am absoluetly in love with the visuals you've got going. I'll definitely try the demo at least, maybe I'll grow into it. I'm a sucker for this kind of minimalist aesthetic.
Weird, since you can set up additional keywords to make the game easier to find. Gotta double-check that on my end.

If you want to play a game with this aesthetic, both Das Geisterschiff and Der Geisterturm have demos on Steam. DGS is simple and focused on resource management and exploration, while DGT is more combat-oriented and builds upon the ideas of the original game.

Even if you don't like the genre, I suggest giving them a try and see if they're your cup of tea. Since they're not conventional dungeon crawlers, who knows, maybe they'll click for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Created the thread for the third game. I'll keep this thread as a log for future installments and random musings that aren't related to the already released titles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom