Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Decline Now that the dust has settled, can we admit that Disco Elysium is decline?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Jenkem, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Atchodas Arbiter

Atchodas
    Meh saying that DOS2 is complete shit and Battle Brothers is so much better just shows that you are butthurt retard with a mental block.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Prime Junta Self-Ejected Patron Vatnik

Self-Ejected
    Battle Brothers is terrific. I’ve sunk an obscene number of hours into it.

It’s niche however. It’s basically a really good tactical turn based combat engine with the bare minimum of game wrapped around it. If you like that sort of thing, it’s enough.

You could even say it’s the diametrical opposite of Disco Elysium. :M

• Brofist x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Harthwain Cipher

Harthwain
    It's a really good game, regardless of how one would classify it.

• Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Atchodas Arbiter

Atchodas
    Tactical combat games is incline genre hardly RPG's tho :troll:

^ Top  
  5. RKade8583 Novice

RKade8583
    Yes. It is. ESPECIALLY with the legends mod.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Immortal Arcane

Immortal
    Every GOTY, the 10 year old Polak accounts start spewing forth from the depths of this forum, like malted potato's and begin vote spamming whatever garbage Eurotrash game was squatted out by some once-great company.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Glop_dweller Cipher

Glop_dweller
    This is a good list, if it's truly accurate, and indicative of the game; if it is not filled out with mention of sparse (or even one-time) events that are loosely interpreted as the above bullet points.

Dice rolls don't make an RPG—and are not required for roleplaying; though admittedly they are a good choice for RPGs.

*I have read interactive fiction [in this case a printed book] that came with dice, and a combat system; complete with hitpoints.

** (Not the solo-tutorial in the D&D red box; this was a published book about reassembling a titan robot, where its various part were scattered across worlds.)

I am on the fence for buying the game; how does it compare —mechanically— to the game Unrest?
    (I've no doubt the writing is probably superior)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    ^ Top  
  8. Atchodas Arbiter

Atchodas
    Tell me more about those prestigious RPG's that were not made by Europeans, there is Age of Decadence and ?

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Glop_dweller Cipher

Glop_dweller
    In my experience, games (in general, but especially RPGs) have been in decline for more than a decade—except for graphics quality. Very few exceptions, and not enough to matter.

IMO its the caliber of the recent developers, the state of the market (they'll buy crap and love it—so you need only make crap to profit), and the [political] mental state of the writers; lack of talent plays a major part as well.

^ Top  
  10. Alphons Learned

Alphons
    He clearly means Outer Worlds.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Life of the Party Arcane

Life of the Party
  12. AwesomeButton Personally falsified the US election results Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    That is my point. "It's niche" shouldn't be an excuse, when we are talking about this hardcore place that Codex is, where games have to be games, gameplay is king, combat makes the rpg, you know what I mean?!

And the next thing you hear is some jerk off going "Oh my, Disco Elysium an RPG? Don't make me laugh. Storyfaggotry, has no combat, ugh! Oh by the way, I haven't heard of Battle Brothers, but I think DO:S2 is a rightful RPG of 2017".

Tryhards.

• Funny x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

You got that the other way around, commietard. It's more game than anything else.

Agreed, Battle Brothers is all gameplay, DE has no gameplay.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Atchodas Arbiter

Atchodas
    I actually have more than 100 hours in Battle Brothers and still think DOS2 is better RPG than Battle Brothers

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • No No x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. RKade8583 Novice

RKade8583
    Yeah but BB is a better GAME because it has a more readable UI and its ground effects don't obscure everything and make it impossible for my blind ass to play... And it has the legends mod.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Atchodas Arbiter

Atchodas
    Meh honestly I dont even compare these one sided little games like BB or DE to full scale RPG's like DOS2. Now keep bleeding fellas :butthurt:

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. AwesomeButton Personally falsified the US election results Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    So your opinion on RPGs isn't worth a red lizard's shit. Kind of you to inform us.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Prime Junta Self-Ejected Patron Vatnik

Self-Ejected
    See, this is why I have such contempt for the genre police. A bland, declined mediocrity like DOS2 gets GOTY because it ticks all the genre boxes, while a genuinely brilliant game like Battle Brothers is ignored because it doesn't.

• Brofist x 7
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • what? x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Atchodas Arbiter

Atchodas
    My opinion on RPG's is clearly worth your butthurt tho isn't it

• butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Atchodas Arbiter

Atchodas
    Well I definitely would prefer a full scale RPG that does EVERYTHING right but you know gotta play what we get as there is not much choice like at all, also DOS2 game world exploration is in no way mediocre as its one of the few games that has actual handcrafted game world for player to explore

^ Top  
  21. Egosphere Magister

Egosphere
    I believe Vault Dweller is ukrainian

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Alpan Magister Patron

Alpan
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I'm not going to read fifteen pages of threads, but, for the record, two months after release I appreciate Disco Elysium more for its excellent writing and the fact it tried something quite different, than its RPG credentials.

It features a lot of memorable moments coming together in a remarkable, often thought-provoking whole. However, after finishing it three times -- this I did solely because I enjoyed the writing so much -- I can safely say it features no meaningful gameplay systems, no choice and consequence and certainly no challenge. This is not because the game's mechanical limitations but rather a conscious choice by the developers, who understandably didn't take many risks with how the game content is structured. There is an interesting game with challenge, choices and consequences using Disco Elysium's Metric system but Disco Elysium is not that game. I will cherish the time I spent with it but I will regard it more like a great book rather than a true RPG. It is my favourite game I played this year but not the best RPG. I guess there were no good RPGs released this year.

I would regard DE as an Adventure/RPG hybrid. This I base on DE as well as another game called The Council (Codex thread here), which was released last year. I would recommend all Disco Elysium players to check it out. In some aspects of its design it was even more ambitious than DE. It has real puzzles and some actual choice and consequence, but some of its ideas are badly executed and the the latter half of the game suffers for it. Combined with the rather bland writing the game is overall worse and much more forgettable than DE, but certainly I regard both games as sharing a bloodline.

Less charitably you could call DE a Notgame a la Crooked Bee. Ultimately Disco Elysium is a game of what goes on between brackets. Someone looked at skill checks in RPGs, saw all the [Intelligence]s and [Speech 60]s and [Dexterity 16]s and decided it would be cool if the brackets came with flavor text. This is not what the game is about, but it is what the game is.

• Brofist x 8
    • decline x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Zer0wing Cipher

Zer0wing
    He then relocated to Canada so I guess it counts?

^ Top  
  24. undecaf Arcane Patron

undecaf
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Also Grimoire.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. RKade8583 Novice

RKade8583
    Cleve is RPGCodex's Peter Molyneux. And his game still doesn't work right. If you can't make it happen after that long, pack it in.

• FAKE NEWS x 2
    • Bro, do you even lift? x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • cool story bro x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • cuck x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.