Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Now that the dust has settled, can we admit that Disco Elysium is decline?

Atchodas

Augur
D:OS2 is complete shit. To be asking "which should have been Codex RPGOTY that year" when you have something like Battle Brothers merely labels you as a dumbfuck who doesn't like RPGs, and is probably oblivious to that fact too.

Meh saying that DOS2 is complete shit and Battle Brothers is so much better just shows that you are butthurt retard with a mental block.

Prime Junta

Battle Brothers is terrific. I’ve sunk an obscene number of hours into it.

It’s niche however. It’s basically a really good tactical turn based combat engine with the bare minimum of game wrapped around it. If you like that sort of thing, it’s enough.

You could even say it’s the diametrical opposite of Disco Elysium. :M

RKade8583

Novice
Battle Brothers
Slipped from the mind because it's listed on Steam in Strategies, is this really that good?
since all other games on that list were strictly inferior to it in every way maybe excluding Pray which is a shooter game in the end.
>A shooter game in the end
>RPG Codex GOTY
Well now you are just being retarded for the sake of being retarded :lol:
No U
Yes. It is. ESPECIALLY with the legends mod.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Every GOTY, the 10 year old Polak accounts start spewing forth from the depths of this forum, like malted potato's and begin vote spamming whatever garbage Eurotrash game was squatted out by some once-great company.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Disco Elysium is the game of our year 2019.

It's absolutely an RPG.

Let's review:

- It has unique skills, and complex skill-system deeply intertwinted into the dialogue and actions
- It has fucking DICE-ROLLS, the game even VISUALLY displays said dice-roll in terms of skillchecks and rolls
- It has items and item management
- You play a defined role as a washed up dead-beat cop
- It has numerous skillchecks and unique options in dialogue that is novel to any rpg
- It has a chargen, number crunching and such ofc level/skill ups
- It has C&C, maybe not alot, but it's there and noticeable
- It has a rich story, with excellent writing and worldbuilding
- Has one very well-made and unique combat situation, instead of filled with trash

Most newer "rpg's" released in the past 10 years can't even check 2-3 of the above mentioned criteria
That should settle that dispute right then and there.

Let's move on, fellas.
This is a good list, if it's truly accurate, and indicative of the game; if it is not filled out with mention of sparse (or even one-time) events that are loosely interpreted as the above bullet points.

Let's move on. The best you have is that DE has dice-rolls. It's over. It's not an RPG.
Dice rolls don't make an RPG—and are not required for roleplaying; though admittedly they are a good choice for RPGs.

*I have read interactive fiction [in this case a printed book] that came with dice, and a combat system; complete with hitpoints.

** (Not the solo-tutorial in the D&D red box; this was a published book about reassembling a titan robot, where its various part were scattered across worlds.)

I am on the fence for buying the game; how does it compare —mechanically— to the game Unrest?
(I've no doubt the writing is probably superior)

Last edited:

Glop_dweller

Prophet
In my experience, games (in general, but especially RPGs) have been in decline for more than a decade—except for graphics quality. Very few exceptions, and not enough to matter.

IMO its the caliber of the recent developers, the state of the market (they'll buy crap and love it—so you need only make crap to profit), and the [political] mental state of the writers; lack of talent plays a major part as well.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Battle Brothers is terrific. I’ve sunk an obscene number of hours into it.

It’s niche however. It’s basically a really good tactical turn based combat engine with the bare minimum of game wrapped around it. If you like that sort of thing, it’s enough.

You could even say it’s the diametrical opposite of Disco Elysium. :M

That is my point. "It's niche" shouldn't be an excuse, when we are talking about this hardcore place that Codex is, where games have to be games, gameplay is king, combat makes the rpg, you know what I mean?!

And the next thing you hear is some jerk off going "Oh my, Disco Elysium an RPG? Don't make me laugh. Storyfaggotry, has no combat, ugh! Oh by the way, I haven't heard of Battle Brothers, but I think DO:S2 is a rightful RPG of 2017".

Tryhards.

RKade8583

Novice
Yeah but BB is a better GAME because it has a more readable UI and its ground effects don't obscure everything and make it impossible for my blind ass to play... And it has the legends mod.

Atchodas

Augur
Meh honestly I dont even compare these one sided little games like BB or DE to full scale RPG's like DOS2. Now keep bleeding fellas :butthurt:

Prime Junta

I actually have more than 100 hours in Battle Brothers and still think DOS2 is better RPG than Battle Brothers

See, this is why I have such contempt for the genre police. A bland, declined mediocrity like DOS2 gets GOTY because it ticks all the genre boxes, while a genuinely brilliant game like Battle Brothers is ignored because it doesn't.

Atchodas

Augur
See, this is why I have such contempt for the genre police. A bland, declined mediocrity like DOS2 gets GOTY because it ticks all the genre boxes, while a genuinely brilliant game like Battle Brothers is ignored because it doesn't.

Well I definitely would prefer a full scale RPG that does EVERYTHING right but you know gotta play what we get as there is not much choice like at all, also DOS2 game world exploration is in no way mediocre as its one of the few games that has actual handcrafted game world for player to explore

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm not going to read fifteen pages of threads, but, for the record, two months after release I appreciate Disco Elysium more for its excellent writing and the fact it tried something quite different, than its RPG credentials.

It features a lot of memorable moments coming together in a remarkable, often thought-provoking whole. However, after finishing it three times -- this I did solely because I enjoyed the writing so much -- I can safely say it features no meaningful gameplay systems, no choice and consequence and certainly no challenge. This is not because the game's mechanical limitations but rather a conscious choice by the developers, who understandably didn't take many risks with how the game content is structured. There is an interesting game with challenge, choices and consequences using Disco Elysium's Metric system but Disco Elysium is not that game. I will cherish the time I spent with it but I will regard it more like a great book rather than a true RPG. It is my favourite game I played this year but not the best RPG. I guess there were no good RPGs released this year.

I would regard DE as an Adventure/RPG hybrid. This I base on DE as well as another game called The Council (Codex thread here), which was released last year. I would recommend all Disco Elysium players to check it out. In some aspects of its design it was even more ambitious than DE. It has real puzzles and some actual choice and consequence, but some of its ideas are badly executed and the the latter half of the game suffers for it. Combined with the rather bland writing the game is overall worse and much more forgettable than DE, but certainly I regard both games as sharing a bloodline.

Less charitably you could call DE a Notgame a la Crooked Bee. Ultimately Disco Elysium is a game of what goes on between brackets. Someone looked at skill checks in RPGs, saw all the [Intelligence]s and [Speech 60]s and [Dexterity 16]s and decided it would be cool if the brackets came with flavor text. This is not what the game is about, but it is what the game is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom