Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Decline Now that the dust has settled, can we admit that Disco Elysium is decline?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Jenkem, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    While that may be true, the shoe is rarely on the other foot for progressives, since the overwhelming majority of Western computer game developers are progressives themselves.

In other words, if you're progressive, you almost certainly don't know what it's like to have an opposing ideology constantly shoehorned into your computer games. It's understandable (although unfortunate) that this systematic, zealous preachiness may cause some conservative-minded people to overreact to perceived shoehorning. In addition, progressives frequently downplay or outright deny the existence of said ideological shoehorning, which doesn't help matters. (For example, if half or more of a game's portrayed cast are gay or queer for no reason other than muh inclusiveness, that is an indisputable sign of ideological shoehorning.)

As for DE itself, it's impossible for me to know whether conservative posters are overreacting or if progressive posters are being delusional/deceitful, since I haven't played it yet; but I'm an excellent judge of such things, so I'm sure I'll be revisiting this thread at some point in the future.

• Brofist x 6
    • Prestigious x 2
    • Salute x 2
    • incline x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • M'lady x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Deflowerer Arcane

Deflowerer
    Being a poet or a literati doesn't pay the bills like it did in Soviet times.

Or well, it does, but even skilled working class does better than you, unlike in Soviet times where you could lord over the proletariat with your pen.

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    The only games that kinda fits the description are historical games, strategy and so on. Even then they are mostly non-political outside of their historical context. But I guess not having LGBT soldiers in your confederate army could be considered pandering to the right nowadays :)

^ Top  
  4. Saduj Arcane

Saduj
    I look forward to having another agenda-free poster confirm my statement, comrade.

Show Spoiler
    In all seriousness, I’m not a “progressive” or a commie and generally don’t believe that anyone could just naturally agree with a pre-defined set of ideological beliefs all the time. The whole identifying as right or left thing is nonsensical as far as I’m concerned. So seeing a good game trashed by people whining about “muh assigned beliefs” is extra annoying to me. The game is going to poke fun at whatever political options you click on so if you click on the same thing all the time you’ll see that one thing trashed but it doesn’t mean the game is pushing anything else.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Wrong. You can be a progressive / liberal broadly speaking and still find, say, YOU MUST DECLARE YOUR PRONOUNS obnoxious and stupid. It's easy to talk shit about screaming Twitter people who say everybody is a cryptofascist - just like it's easy to unfairly shoehorn all conservatives as racists or something.

Wait, what am I saying? You can't be wrong, Blaine. You are an "excellent judge of such things". I'm just a poor child of the Enlightenment, which taught me to question my own Reason as much as I question others.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. BING XI LAO Age of Wonders fanboy Patron

BING XI LAO
    Insert Title Here
    aka aa radical libtard cultist. Fuck the Enlightenment.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    But I thought the Right's latest argument was that the Enlightenment = Western civilisation = good and the "radical libtards" are stupid to fuck the Enlightenment beccause of their stupid white guilt! Are YOU a crypto-radical libtard??

Just another example of oversensitive manchilds who get triggered by whatever laundry list of words they don't approve of this week.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Hóngwèibīng Arcane Vatnik

Hóngwèibīng
    More like the downfall of the latter, comrade))

• Brofist x 5
    • retadred x 4
    • Agree x 3
    • Salute x 2
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Deus Vult x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. BING XI LAO Age of Wonders fanboy Patron

BING XI LAO
    Insert Title Here
    If you are a more traditional liberal, your traditional liberalism has a direct logical progression to current liberalism - this tranny stuff is what you eventually get when you put equality and liberty, both of which have deconstructionist tendencies on a pedestal above the other values. (since all stereotypes and hierarchies, such as the statement ''men and women are inherently different'' defy equality and liberty)
    And the nonracist conservatives you mentioned are also on a slippery slope, since they will get outvoted by the immigrants they are so complacent about.
    And then lastly the Enlightenment contains multiple irrational dogmas, so I really go triggered manchild mode when I hear it used as a standard of critical thinking.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 5
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Tito Anic Arcane Shitposter

Tito Anic
    Jenkem, you fucking fagot, i admit you are Decline! Happy New Year!

• STOP! posting STOP! posting x 2
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 2
    • Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    lol when even kotaku knows more about rpgs than codexers

[​IMG]

• Brofist x 9
    • Funny x 8
    • Agree x 2
    • :M x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Up Yours x 1
    • incline x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. toro Arcane

toro
    Brofist 59
    Agree 15
    Yes 2
    Informative 2
    Prestigious 1
    Salute 1
    Interesting 1
    Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it 1
    When words are not enough 1
    :M 1
    honk honk! 2
    Merry Christmas! 1

87 votes for Jenkem "Disco Elysium is just a shitty CYOA"

butthurt 16
    Shit 10
    Disagree 9
    retadred 7
    No 4
    STOP! posting 3
    /facepalm/ 3
    Edgy 2
    meh 2
    FAKE NEWS 2

58 votes from animals, degenerates and other subhumans.

• Brofist x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • sheeple x 2
    • Balanced x 2
    • rolleyes x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • cool story bro x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Trashos Arcane

Trashos
    "Different" does not necessarily mean "non-equal". Where did this come from?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. BING XI LAO Age of Wonders fanboy Patron

BING XI LAO
    Insert Title Here
    Different does necessarily mean non-equal.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  15. ItsChon Resident Zoomer Patron

ItsChon
    Half those people that gave positive rtings to that post gave positive ratings to pro-DE posts. Whatever you say though.

• Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 1
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Harthwain Cipher

Harthwain
    Different means different. But different isn't the same as worse.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. buffalo bill Prophet

buffalo bill
    I was wondering about what happens if you get to day six without making any progress toward solving the case. Instead of playing the game again (I deleted it after one playthrough), I turned to Google. This is what I found:

In other words, it is impossible to get to day six without making progress on the case, since time will slow. If this is true, this means that there actually is no time constraint in the game, but only an illusion of a time constraint. IMO, this would be a bad thing. Can anyone confirm this?

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Butter Arcane

Butter
    I'm not reinstalling the game to find out, but I'm pretty sure time doesn't pass if you stand still, and it doesn't pass if you revisit old dialogue topics, so at a certain point you actually have to advance the case in order to advance time.

• Yes Yes x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    That's correct. And I would argue that the time mechanic in Disco is more about pacing the game - thinking about your course of actions in a more 'realistic' or at least more cohesive way, sometimes having nice moments like returning to your room to confront The Look again or having a cig with Kim. Nobody's ever going to run out of time to do quests.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    Buy on discount in a few years maybe?

• Balanced Balanced x 2
    • cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Jenkem Self-Ejected Patron

Jenkem
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    If you feel like playing it then just buy it now. Or pirate it.

• Absolutely Haram Absolutely Haram x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    A man walks into a bar, waves to the bartender and says "listen, can I use the restroom? I have a horrible diarrhea."

Bartender nods and says "Welcome to RPG Codex".

• Shit Shit x 6
    • quality shit quality shit x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Zed Duke of Banville Zo Kath Ra Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    You can make time pass indefinitely by repeatedly re-reading the same book, which just requires the relatively small amount of money needed to buy any one of those available from the bookstore. No advancement of the case required. :M

^ Top  
  24. Harthwain Cipher

Harthwain
    Using a feature designed solely to skip the time is besides the point though.

• Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. puur prutswerk Prophet Patron

puur prutswerk
    Codex USB, 2014
    It is almost like creativity (God) and communism (death) clashed in some kind of game development battle during the span of development of this game, I guess a lot of games go through that.

I do not know who won because I have not played the game and have seen only a few screenshots and some posts (a fuckton if you count noninformative ones).

To find out who won, we must ask if it is fun?

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.