Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Now that the dust has settled, can we admit that Disco Elysium is decline?

Trashos

Arcane
PST technically misses nothing, though. It is just that the combat is bad.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
In theory BG2 with ToEE combat and Fallout reactivity would be the perfect crpg.

If only the creators of this games were able to unite once again in 2019 and give birth to the RPG of the dream...

d60f2b2a57da69ba_848xH.jpg

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I've finished the game and all I've said is even more true. The main problem of the game is that it's for one play-through only. Oh, I don't doubt that some storyfags will finish it a couple of times but most people won't find such determination because if you'll play it once you will see almost all relevant content. Stats don't matter much, we're still role-playing the same cop, doing the same things, using the same tools. With INT 1 we can articulate the same responses as with INT 5, the only difference is we won't be able to raise Visual Calculus (or other skills associated with INT) to a high enough level for it to be a useful skill (then again we can always save-scum, which is another problem, a game that allows that is just badly designed, although it's not a major flaw). But we can use a different skill to achieve the same goal so in the end there is no difference, only labels change. As I've said, it's Bethesda level of design. E.g. whether I used visual calculus or just broke the door down the result was the same.

Contrary to what ZA/UM are advertising this game isn't open world at all, we have invisible walls everywhere and in various forms. One such example I've provided here but there are plethora of them. We can't walk to the other side of the town until Wednesday, we can't progress unless Kim is with us (even though we can ask the same questions and observe the same things and his presence changes nothing we still can't advance and if we can we die because of plot reasons, e.g. when confronting a certain person that has both me and Kim under control anyway) and in general we can't do something unless we meet some stupid requirements like clicking on a "conclude day" as if that would change anything. Another example, we can't talk with "Sunday friend" once we walk out even though we know he's in there (unless he jumped through the window) because it's just a scripted scene. Or we can't play the tape unless Kim is with us. Anyway, in no other game I've felt so restrained. Even not having a flashlight prevents us from advancing in a certain area, we can't hurt ourselves trying to do it or just walk by holding our hand on the wall, developers just didn't give us that option and that's it.

Writing is very uneven, sometimes it's good, very good at rare occasions, and sometimes it's just atrocious. What I mean by uneven?
For example Titus guy, one of the more interesting characters in the game and one of the more reasonable ones will still kill us for no good reason. When he did shoot me I was like "OK, he's just some trigger happy brute that is impulsive and unreasonable" but later I've learned he can actually use his brain. Inconsistent writing in my eyes.

In addition that Kurvitz guy must have used drugs a lot and it shows. The ending was ridiculous and one of the weakest parts but that craziness that was often injected in even very well written conversations, spoiled everything for me. Most characters were also comical so unless I would treat it all as parody I can't rate it highly. The phantasmal madness was just retarded, dreams were retarded, characters like the woman with our gun or the guy in the container were retarded, scenes where we were incapacitated by waves were retarded, whole anodic music and that computer plot were retarded. On the other hand they often tried to make an impact by killing someone off, whether it was that near library woman's husband, or Renee or another guy (there were more) to me it felt like a cheap attempt to move us but in my case it had opposite effect mainly because in the end they were some random NPCs which we didn't have much time to get to know.

Once you reach the end some stupidities become evident, for example it makes no sense for hanged man's brother to wait until we advance our investigation and pretend to be a striker when he could just kill all Hardie boys anyway. During that scene I've provided some very compelling evidence that showed they weren't behind it but he ignored it anyway so why the wait when he didn't want to hear the truth but enact revenge only? Also, I hope that we could do that scene knowing who the real culprit was, otherwise the writing is even shittier than I thought and our options even narrower.

Or there are slip ups such as this one:
TwXuGEy.jpg

Kim says we've searched the church but I haven't asked about Ruby there.

Or this one:
Wtlrj4h.jpg

At this point I've found Night City and knew what that is.

The world we can explore is very small and with not much exploration and the other part of town that opens up is rather empty, making walking even more tedious (and it is tedious because even running is slow, add to it constant loading and you have a disaster). There aren't that many quests either and although unique, most of them are quite boring. In general gameplay is almost non-existent so if one doesn't appreciate Kurvitz's "sophisticated" humour and writing he definitely won't enjoy the game.

Game is also super easy, at the end I had like 12 or 13 free points and easily passed all relevant checks (and without resorting to using substances/clothes), and I could have more to be honest. I've also had over 200 in Revachol currency and didn't know what to do with it (I wonder though whether it's possible to buy the 700 lamp, I assume it is). And morale/health system is just retarded, e.g. losing morale for thinking about others (and being emphatic), WTF? I would say it's a sign of a healthy person and I should gain a morale point if anything. The dialogue system is also stupid since we can repeat the same conversation and get different results and NPCs won't acknowledge that (compare it to recent The Outer Worlds for example, it's night and day difference):

Well, there is a plus side to this though and that is - sometimes it makes sense that once we find some new clue asking the same question again can get us new information but in general it is a bad thing and is just stupid. Some other example:
OZTYva1.jpg

I show him my gun and tell him I've found it but a moment later I can ask about my lost gun and he says something along the lines "if you behave you might get it back", lol.

Add to all of it political correctness and SJW content and you have a game very much not to my liking.

What I liked:
+ I couldn't forge letters in the open because there was risk of Evrart's men noticing. Then again I could have written it in the open and they wouldn't know what I'm writing...
+ Music
+ Art
+ Some characters, although the writing was very uneven

All in all I rate it 5/10 but it's more of a "I should give it 4/10 or less when I remember how tedious and boring some parts were" and "but taking into account good parts I should rate it 6/10". It's not your average game which that rating might indicate, it's a rather unique game, with some fresh ideas and sometimes very good writing but due to the above I wasn't enjoying it that much in the long run and what's most important it's highly unlikely I'll replay this game. Like I said, it's a game for one play through only and in my eyes if an RPG isn't fun at consecutive replays it's not a good RPG (hence I consider Fallout, AoD and Arcanum as the best of the best).

P.S.
Here are some screenshots I've made that prove my points one way or another: https://imgur.com/a/YLQVXrV[/QUOTE]

overly excitable young man

What makes me sad is that it had so much potential.
If the focus would have set different on a few things the game would be great.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Good review, pal.

This is why it is an absolute waste of time to show the cretinous mob of the deluded disco derpcrew examples of the game's decline. they will never engage with dissenters or critics honestly. they will outright ignore it, then eventually deny its existence entirely, all while claiming that no one ever has provided examples and you are just being contrarian. typical gommie tactics.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Good review, pal.

This is why it is an absolute waste of time to show the cretinous mob of the deluded disco derpcrew examples of the game's decline. they will never engage with dissenters or critics honestly. they will outright ignore it, then eventually deny its existence entirely, all while claiming that no one ever has provided examples and you are just being contrarian. typical gommie tactics.
Stop harvesting ratings lmao. I already answered his review and got heavily brofisted for it. I answered your trash too. You know what's missing? Meaningful responses from either you or Goral. Whatever you say though bro.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Good review, pal.

Stop harvesting ratings lmao. I already answered his review and got heavily brofisted for it. I answered your trash too. You know what's missing? Meaningful responses from either you or Goral. Whatever you say though bro.

I just searched for your posts in this thread. You responded to one of my posts and half of it was either agreeing with certain points or general disagreement of opinion, I responded and you never followed up on it other than rating my post negatively. Your other 6 posts in this thread consist of you talking about how cool you are to get brofisted for your DE shilling and one sentence non-creative insults. Whatever you say though bro.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
You know what's missing? Meaningful responses from either you or Goral.
Stop lying you retard: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...ow-isometric-rpg.130284/page-142#post-6434508

I've countered your arguments (more like crushed them) then you've responded with nonsense. I could dissect your every paragraph and point your stupidity here but what's the point, you will ignore it anyway and start spouting your shit again. And I'm posting my review in relevant threads, this one looks like the best place yet since from the start it isn't directed at DE fanboys like you.

But anyway, let's check at your first counter-"argument":

IIt's not that I can't think of other ways to get up,
Yeah it is, you yourself said that there was no obvious way to go up because you're too retarded to think of any. When I've provided you with several such examples you've changed the angle and started saying "but you can't expect the devs to implement everything you would imagine", lol. I never said I wanted it all implemented, one of these would suffice. As it was player could get stuck for no sensible reason and had to roll with the story regardless of how stupid it was. I know that logic is irrelevant for a retard like you but for some of us it isn't.
Perhaps the reason the game didn't allow you to use Kim get back up is that the wall was too high.
See, this is where you're showing how retarded you are. A drunken hobo cop could jump down unscathed which suggests it couldn't be that high, but what's more important is that we have a point of reference in the form of doors and our cops. The height is 2-2.5 meters at max which is nothing. Even if it was 4 meters with 2 men it would still be nothing.

Maybe the Crane couldn't reach, or perhaps it was monostable versus bistable as you said.
Stop pretending that you even know what that means you retard, even if it was monostable it wouldn't prevent one of them from going down so you mentioning it doesn't support your claims. As for crane's reach, things like these have massive reach and Evrart himself is using such gimmick to move so I'm pretty sure that they would find one that could work. But that's not even the point, I will get to that in a moment though since I have to explain everything to a retard like you.

Obviously I can think of ways to try and get out
Obviously not, first you're saying there is no obvious way for them to escape and now you're saying something else entirely :D :D :D. You're pathetic.

but you sitting here and acting like the game is absolute trash because it doesn't allow you to try every strategy or idea that you might be able to think of.
See, this is why I didn't want to discuss with you retard. You're using constant hyperboles, misinterpreting what I've said and telling outright lies. You're also an extreme example of a fanboy who can't even reasonably argue. I didn't say the game is "absolute trash" and certainly this-one-of-many-examples of railroading wouldn't be enough to justify a rating like it. Lies, hyperboles, retarded reasoning, these are your arguments. What's more I didn't expect "every strategy" to be implemented, I just wanted a way to not get stuck which devs didn't think of and you are too retarded to comprehend.
No other game is held to this level of scrutiny regarding what can and can't be done.

QED.

This is why discussing the rest with you is a waste of time, you're too stupid, can't use sensible arguments and are just outright lying and exaggerating. Also, it's hilarious that you're annoyed by me posting my review in relevant threads and then go to every DE thread spouting your nonsense :D.

Harthwain

Magister
Goral has Alzheimer? He keeps reposting the same review over and over.
Grade A retard, not sure why you're surprised.
There are a few reasons:

1) This thread isn't really about Disco as a game (just read the OP).

2) He already gave his review elsewhere. So copy-pasting it here feels completely out of place. Sure, one could make an argument that there is Disco and here is Disco too, therefore his course of action is warranted, but the truth is that he completely misses the context, which makes what he did feel very random thing to do. Almost "Carthago delenda est" like.

3) His review isn't even that scathing. Actually, it's rather bland and fairly legitimate opinion. I have seen much worse bullshit (again, just read the OP).

Good review, pal.

There is no need to be so butthurt over somebody commending Goral's effort. Or the lack of thereof. He's clearly following Bill Gate's philosophy in this regard. :hero:

The real issue - and I am shocked that you, of all people, have failed to notice it - is that Goral talks about "political correctness and SJW content" in his review, while ignoring the biggest danger the Codex has ever faced: THE COMMUNISM!

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
I just searched for your posts in this thread. You responded to one of my posts and half of it was either agreeing with certain points or general disagreement of opinion,
You fucking monkey, half of it wasn't "agreeing with certain points". I agreed with literally two things you said, and both of them were about C&C. You disingenuous cocksucker. And your supposed response?
why do you quote me pointing out the fact that there is a concerted ideological effort to push the game as incline on the codex and in the media and then respond as if I am complaining about the devs? follow along with the first paragraph of my opening post, it clearly states "The only reason it gets as much traction around here..." is because of people pushing it HERE for ideological reasons.
You literally ignored everything I fucking said regarding your bullshit criticisms of the game, and went on some stupid fucking diatribe about how people are supposedly pushing this game for ideological reasons? Stick to shitposting about games, you're a literal fucking idiot that doesn't know know right from left.

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
I've countered your arguments (more like crushed them) then you've responded with nonsense.
Nigga what? The ratings to your supposed "counter"
View attachment 12167
versus the ratings to my supposed nonsense,
View attachment 12168
The two retards are from you and FTR (lmao, an even more pitiful individual if there ever was one). Your response didn't crush anything.
Yeah it is, you yourself said that there was no obvious way to go up because you're too retarded to think of any. When I've provided you with several such examples you've changed the angle and started saying "but you can't expect the devs to implement everything you would imagine", lol. I never said I wanted it all implemented, one of these would suffice. As it was player could get stuck for no sensible reason and had to roll with the story regardless of how stupid it was. I know that logic is irrelevant for a retard like you but for some of us it isn't.
Like I said,
There is NOT A SINGLE FUCKING RPG that maps out every single possible thing that can be attempted...No other game is held to this level of scrutiny regarding what can and can't be done.
I can think of a ton of classics where potential obvious solutions weren't programmed into the game, but no one ever mentioned them. Your next three quotes are all trying to "debunk" my counter-arguments about why the game doesn't let you climb back up.
SSee, this is where you're showing how retarded you are. A drunken hobo cop could jump down unscathed which suggests it couldn't be that high, but what's more important is that we have a point of reference in the form of doors and our cops. The height is 2-2.5 meters at max which is nothing. Even if it was 4 meters with 2 men it would still be nothing.
Stop pretending that you even know what that means you retard, even if it was monostable it wouldn't prevent one of them from going down so you mentioning it doesn't support your claims. As for crane's reach, things like these have massive reach and Evrart himself is using such gimmick to move so I'm pretty sure that they would find one that could work. But that's not even the point, I will get to that in a moment though since I have to explain everything to a retard like you.
Obviously not, first you're saying there is no obvious way for them to escape and now you're saying something else entirely :D :D :D.
Maybe Kim can't lift the fat hobo cop up enough to reach the wall? Maybe the cops saw that it was monostable and didn't want to leave the other alone in hostile territory with no obvious way of getting up? But even if none of this is the case, this is your ONE cherrypicked example out of the entire game, and it literally says nothing about its overall quality. As if I needed further proof of your autism. You were looking for anything to shit on the game, and this is the one shitty example you an find lmao.
See, this is why I didn't want to discuss with you retard. You're using constant hyperboles, misinterpreting what I've said and telling outright lies. You're also an extreme example of a fanboy who can't even reasonably argue. I didn't say the game is "absolute trash" and certainly this-one-of-many-examples of railroading wouldn't be enough to justify a rating like it. Lies, hyperboles, retarded reasoning, these are your arguments. What's more I didn't expect "every strategy" to be implemented, I just wanted a way to not get stuck which devs didn't think of and you are too retarded to comprehend.
Haha, the ultimate retard who's used hyperbole in every single argument he's made regarding this game is accusing me of being hyperbolic? Change my post too,
but you sitting here and acting like the game is absolute trash because it doesn't allow you to get out of an area
and it would still apply. Stay mad though.
Okay? The fact I've been here for not even two years and established more credibility than you, someone who's been here for ten years, is fucking hilarious.
You're pathetic.
Nah, you're pathetic. Your arguments are shit, you write at a third-grade level, no one fucking likes you, and I saw the bitch fit you threw because Codex staff didn't wante to post your shit writings/reviews on the front page. And this is all me talking about shit you've posted. You want to talk pathetic? Post a pic of your torso, and I'll post a pic of mine faggot. I guarantee that you're some three hundred pound bitch that hasn't done shit in life. I'm better than you at life. Stay mad nigga.

EDIT: OH, and note how he focused on this bullshit with the crane, and ignored ALL this other shit.
upload_2020-1-5_1-8-56.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom