Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Now that the dust has settled, can we admit that Disco Elysium is decline?

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Nothing to admit. It's shit and it's not an RPG.
It's just a bunch of storyfags who keep shilling that shit.
It's fucking disgusting.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Accept the reality, combatfags. You lost the battle for the narrative. Disco Elysium is RPG Codex GOTY 2019 and you cannot do anything about it. Don't be sore losers. It's quite pitiful.
Yes, but this doesn't speak to DE's qualities, rather it speaks to the influx of storyfags on, and the decline of, the codex.
As for my part, I will never relent or tire in my crusade against Lariandrones and storyfags.
The truth has to be spoken.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just letting you know that I can run my entire flat's electricity on just the butthurt continually generated by Disco Elysium and the people who can't cope with its existence.
Patent for the prototype device is pending.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Just letting you know that I can run my entire flat's electricity on just the butthurt continually generated by Disco Elysium and the people who can't cope with its existence.
Patent for the prototype device is pending.

this is me protecting DE in all threads at once
max_payne_2000_shot_30-1300x975-1024x768.jpg

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Accept the reality, combatfags. You lost the battle for the narrative. Disco Elysium is RPG Codex GOTY 2019 and you cannot do anything about it.
Disco wins masses solely by being the easier game to get into. DE is significantly easier to start for an average Hans and Wojciech
than something combat-heavy.

you're clearly lying
average Hans and Wojciech are complaining about all the long words and the so...su...savoir faire???

Harthwain

Magister
Disco wins masses solely by being the easier game to get into.
It has good writing. That's literally the only reason it can fly. If you made the same game as Disco Elysium (in terms of the underlying mechanics), but with shitty writting, the game would be written off as "an interesting idea, horrible execution".

DE is significantly easier to start for an average Hans and Wojciech than something combat-heavy.
Right. Because "something combat-heavy" is so complicated to get into. :hahano:

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Right. Because "something combat-heavy" is so complicated to get into.
Once again you put your words in my mouth. Combat-heavy games require some time to learn the underlying mechanics and systems before you can play comfortably and even more time to start dominating. With people of today having attention span of a goldfish it's a rather serious requirement.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Haven't followed this argument since i got butthurt the game is made by filthy commies which soured the whole thing lul.

HOWEVER, it seems that the main objection to this game is that it has no gameplay, right? But the writing is still good, right?

Because if the writing isn't all that i can see the anger, but if it's good why not take the game for what it is? We all did for Torment, didn't we? It seems the game is decline not for failing to achieve what it set out to do but simply because of what it is.

Which begs the question, in what way is this game "worse" than Torment?

Harthwain

Magister
Once again you put your words in my mouth.
Most strange way to spell "draw logical conclussions". If you say "is significantly easier [...] than", then you imply that something else ("something combat-heavy", in this scenario) is... significantly harder. It is elementary, my dear Watson.

Combat-heavy games require some time to learn the underlying mechanics and systems before you can play comfortably and even more time to start dominating.
Not true. Most "combat-heavy games" are rather simple to pick up and play. Trying to make it sound like it's some sort of hardcore activity is ludicrous.

With people of today having attention span of a goldfish it's a rather serious requirement.
If that were true, then Disco Elysium should've flopped hard purely because it's a text-heavy game. But it didn't.

barghwata

Savant
Once again you put your words in my mouth. Combat-heavy games require some time to learn the underlying mechanics and systems before you can play comfortably and even more time to start dominating. With people of today having attention span of a goldfish it's a rather serious requirement.

It's that same shitty attention span that causes combatfags to get immediatley bored the moment they realise a game is asking them to read paragraphs of text and actually think about their meaning, they would much rather just skip the dialogue and go mindlessly slaughter some trash mobs or something.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here

It's that same shitty attention span that causes combatfags to get immediatley bored the moment they realise a game is asking them to read paragraphs of text and actually think about their meaning, they would much rather just skip the dialogue and go mindlessly slaughter some trash mobs or something.
I saw a spanish add for Disco Elysium and I don't get the appeal.

Also, what's wrong with wanting fun addicting gameplay, clicking through mountains of boring ass text isn't fun.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Not true. Most "combat-heavy games" are rather simple to pick up and play.
So, you can pick up Underrail or Kingmaker and start comfortably playing it in the same amount of time as Disco? No time to learn the game mechanics, no trial and error? The latter is especially ludicrous, for even the people who liked Disco admit that it has low replay value, meaning that there's a little room for trial and error, you can easily finish it blindly in the first run without missing much.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Usually, on my first run I read all dialogues and descriptions available, obligatory and optional ones alike. On my second run I read ones that I liked and new ones. On third and onward there's usually nothing new, so what's the point? To learn them by heart? The only game that provided me with the new content on four runs straight is Age of Decadence, and, as I've seen people claim, Disco is not like that.

(I'm talking runs in a row, of course, replaying the game years later is different)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom