Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NPCs and AI

Gwendo

Augur
I'm curious... Will the NPCs have an AI, or are they just static scripted objects in the game?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
We don't need to use artificial intelligence (AI). Our NPCs are naturally smart!

Ladonna

Arcane
Naturally smart enough to do....?

Light lanterns? Talk about Mudcrabs? Equip rings?

Do tell.

Durwyn

Prophet
Will they have any daily schedules or will they stay still in one place?

Ladonna

Arcane
Crap, theres plenty of things that they have said will be in AoD, that wasn't in Fallout. :P

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Actually, we use our own incredibly advanced rogue AI system called Glowing AI. It's really something incredible and impossible to describe in words. Trust us, it will be cool.

vazquez595654 said:
Just ask yourself if it was in Fallout. If it wasn't it probably won't be in this game.
Yes, because AoD is a carbon copy of Fallout, fantasy-flavored.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Vault Dweller said:
Actually, we use our own incredibly advanced rogue AI system called Glowing AI. It's really something incredible and impossible to describe in words. Trust us, it will be cool.
I am prototyping a new AI system to be used in next-gen games called Glowingly Radiantly Beamingly Bright AI. You might want to look into licensing it from me.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
Nah I just meant that Fallout style game mechanics are what your focus probably is (Hmm, where could I get that impression from you...uh Vault Dweller?). Therefore I am sure AI schedules like the Gothics wasn't on the top of your to do list.

Gwendo

Augur
Vault Dweller said:
Lord Chambers said:
The NPCs are scheduled to stay in one place staring at a wall all day.
Meditation.

Hey, humans spend a day behind a computer watching powerpoint presentations sent by email... Why not just stare to a wall? :D

Gwendo

Augur
Vault Dweller said:
We don't need to use artificial intelligence (AI). Our NPCs are naturally smart!

There is nothing wrong with it, but AFAIK, the game's "imersion" will be conveyed through text (à la Darklands) than anything else, right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom