Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [NSFW] Lost Paradise / Ushinawareta Rakuen / 失われた楽園 (1995)

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
This forum could use some more lovely hentai. So I've decided to try my hand in the letsplay thing. I've just setup the machine translation text hooking once again to check out how's the progress and let me tell you, our machine god of Google improved a lot. Now I can understand pretty much everything while having the basic moonspeak knowledge of daijobou and wakaranai levels gleaned from watching animu years ago. This LP will consist of cleaned up machine translation.

Mobygames does not have a page for this game. There are two full reviews on the blogs that review VNs in bulk. vndbreview is "kinda meh, good gfx" but has some stuff I disagree with in it. Advgamer hates it because of so-called "ugly content" (translated from Japanese). Two nice Japanese websites have bothered to map all endings and that's about all we can find about the game. Relatively obscure you might say. Oh, and Asenheim Project has an older machine translation available but it's not really readable, back in 2016 it was much worse in terms of quality.

Art.jpg

Developer: Silky's
Year of Release: 1995
Genre: Visual Novel

Kojima Kosaku is a lazy college student who does not want to study much, sleeping through lectures instead. But he couldn't resist it when he saw the ad for a part-time assistant job for his biology professor. He took it and got on a yacht with some other people for professor's research trip to a distant tropical island in the South Pacific. And just when they were almost at their destination, a terrible storm started and shipwrecked their vessel. And now he and others are stranded on a seemingly uninhabited island...

Characters:
Kosaku Nishijima - "Although his parents live in the countryside, he was forced to go study to a so-called top-notch college. Now he is a second-year college student who is more interested in goofing around and romance than studying."

char-prof.png
Michio Hazama - "He is professor Michio Hazama. He still looks young enough, despite his scholarly calmness, but his sharp gaze is somewhat intimidating."

char-shiori.png
Shiori Hazama - "She is professor Hazama's wife. She looks calm and mature, but she is still 21 years old. Looks like she and professor are 25 years apart in age. Shiori-san has eyesight problem from birth defect and can hardly see anything. She is a quiet woman with gentle eyes that always look far away."

char-ayano.png
Ayano Sakurai - "This girl seems to be one of the other part-time assistants. I've met her several times in the seminar, but I've never talked to her before. Ayano is by no means beautiful, but she is a nice stylish girl with a bright personality. She is a college student."

char-yumi.png
Yumi Takanashi - "This girl is also a part-time assistant like me and Ayano. She looks like a junior high school student, but she is a freshman in the same university as me."

char-monica.png
Monica Rivera - "She is the captain of this cruiser. She is still young, but seems to be handling it alone fine. She is a strong-willed girl with brown skin and pale blue eyes who's like an older sister to me. "

char-reiko.png
Reiko Asaka - "She has been working as an assistant to Professor Hazama for several years. She is a beautiful woman with a beguiling appearance and she speaks with calm intelligence."

So let's start. BTW, any advice on how to make this better is appreciated.

genshiken1.jpg

genshiken2.jpg

UPDATES:
PART 01: INTRO
PART 02: DAY 1 - GETTING TOGETHER
PART 03: DAY 1 - LOOKING FOR FOOD
PART 04: DAY 1 - COZY BY THE FIRE
PART 05: DAY 2 - GURURURURURU
PART 06: DAY 2/DAY 3 - A NICE COLD BATH SOLVES EVERYTHING
PART 07: DAY 2 - MENOMAEGAMAKKURANINARI
PART 08: DAY 3 - THE THIRD EYE REVEALED
PART 09: DAY 3 - FRIENDLY LOCALS
PART 10: DAY 3 - METAMONA! YAPANA, METAMONA!
PART 11: DAY 3 - SPELUNKING
PART 12: AT THE BOUND OF THIS WORLD
PART 13: HAPPY ENDING 1
PART 14: HAPPY ENDING 2
PART 15: LONG ROAD TO YUMI
PART 16: YUMI, PART II AND ENDING

Last edited:

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
PART 01: INTRO

01-deck.png

The midsummer's hot sun shines on the blue sky. The sea breeze comfortably envelops my body and gently blows around it. Here I am on a yacht plowing the South Seas, lying on a deck chair and relaxing. My name is Kosaku Nishijima. Although my parents live in the countryside, I was forced to go study to a so-called top-notch college. Now I'm a second-year college student, more interested in goofing around and romance than studying.

It is summer vacation now and I'm heading to a certain island in the South Seas as a part-time assistant on a research trip with Professor Hazama. Michio Hazama is a professor of biology at the university I go to. He is a world-famous researcher of the evolution of living organisms. However, I slept during his lectures, so I had no idea... Well, it doesn't matter for someone like me, I'm not into studying. I would never apply for a part-time job as an assistant in academic research, but the amount of money written on the ad posted on the seminar bulletin board was extremely high, so I did.

Another week away from Japan... We've transferred from a plane to this ship in port, and we are heading to the destination island. In the meantime, I haven't had to do anything resembling a job other than loading and unloading luggage. That was unexpected but I like it easy. I was on vacation and I was enjoying this trip.

[Kosaku]
... Yeah, I'm still bored. There's nothing else to do besides taking a nap... I should've brought more entertainment with me, for example, at least a single paperback book. And now, I'm sure that I could read it all the way through even if it's very boring...​

But if I'd rather much read a book full of pretty girl photos instead, I thought while looking around lazily. Emerald blue sparkling ocean spreads around the yacht, and the gentle sea breeze comfortably envelops me.

[Kosaku]
... Beautiful sea and refreshing sea breeze impress you only on the first day. If there's no change in the surrounding scenery for days, it gets boring real fast...​

It's been four days since the ship left the port, and I was spending them in vain without being given any work from the professor.

[Kosaku]
Oh, I'm bored and it can't be helped. When will we arrive at the destination island? ... Speaking of which, I haven't heard of when that will happen.​

I sighed and moved my gaze over the ship, looking around and thinking about it.

[Kosaku]
I could ask the professor... If you think about it, he hasn't left his cabin since he got on the boat, probably busy with his research. Somebody else could know about it, too. I wonder what everyone's doing?​

I raised my body and looked around the deck.

[Kosaku]
... Tsk, no one's here. Would someone come up to the deck?​

As I sighed deeply, I've heard footsteps from someone climbing the stairs from the cabin to the deck.

[Voice]
"Haai, Tosaku... You look like you're free."
(Monica tends to speak in engrish sometimes so I'll write these as they would be pronounced to distinguish from japanese or add comments)

[Kosaku]
"Hey, Monica... I'm good."​

02-deck-monica.png

This woman, Monica Rivera, is the captain of this motor yacht. She's still young but seems to be handling it alone. She is a strong-minded girl with brown skin and pale blue eyes who's like an older sister to me.

[Monica]
"You're slacking off... Don't you have anything to do?"

[Kosaku]
"Leisure and everything... I'm so bored on this boat."​

[Monica]
"Oh, I'm never bored, Tosaku. When you're out in the sea, no matter how busy you are your mind is resting."

[Kosaku]
"Well, if you're on a boat since you were little, you may feel at ease, but I've grown up in the city. I'm not good at this."​

[Monica]
"Puuu... Tosaku is a city boy... You don't look like it at all."
(Tosaku ga shiti boi nee)

[Kosaku]
"Hey... Why did you laugh there?"​

I don't know how she learned it, but Monica seems to be able to speak Japanese, though her pronunciation is not the best.

[Monica]
"By the way, Tosaku... If you're free, why don't you help with cleaning the deck?"

[Kosaku]
"Monica, I'm not Tosaku, I'm Kosaku. Kosaku Nishijima... Please pronounce it properly.""​

[Monica]
"So, it's Tosaku Nishijima... right?"

[Kosaku]
"No, you're wrong... it's Ko-sa-ku!"​

[Monica]
"To-sa-ku?"

[Kosaku]
"No... Ko-sa-ku!"​

[Monica]
"Ummm... Japanese names are hard to pronounce, though they are all rich and good people."

[Kosaku]
"Stop dodging... Rich or not, the pronunciation is unrelated to that."​

[Monica]
"Ahaha... That's right, Tosaku."

[Kosaku]
"That's why it's Ko-sa-ku!"​

[Monica]
"Don't get so angry... And can you help me?"

[Kosaku]
"Help you... What do you need?"​

[Monica]
"Jeez, you didn't listen? I said if you're free you could clean the deck."

[Kosaku]
"Deck cleaning? Hey-hey, you make customers work here?"​

[Kosaku]
"Even though I'm free, why do I have to do that?"​

[Monica]
"Oh? Purofessa Hazama said I can use you as I like."

[Kosaku]
"Eh? I ha-haven't heard that. Hey!"​
(japanese have this stutter thing they do to signify they're confused, in all entertainment. I guess it's a cultural thing and I'm not sure whether I should always use that in translation)

[Monica]
"Ahahahaha, no wonder. Ittsu ah joku, you're just so young and lazy."

[Kosaku]
"Pfft, none of your business."​

[Monica]
"But Hazama wanted to see you for real. Come down to the cabin."

[Kosaku]
"Wh-what? Maybe it's some task?​

[Monica]
"Well, I have no idea."

[Kosaku]
"Okay, I'm off, thank you, Monica."​

[Monica]
"Yua werukamu. See you later, I need to do something."

[Kosaku]
... Professor's calling me?​

[Monica]
"Oh, right... Tell me whenever you want to clean the deck. I have a deck brush ready for you."
(dekki burashi)

[Kosaku]
"As if I'm going to!"​

[Monica]
"Ahaha, I'll be working below the deck."

[Kosaku]
... Damn Monica... You didn't have to come back here to say that... So the professor wants to see me... Maybe he wants to give me some task? ...​

I thought I was bored just now, but any thoughts about work instantly make me want to go back to procrastinating.

[Kosaku]
I think I'm a pretty selfish person. After talking to Monica it doesn't seem that professor's request was urgent. What do I do? Should I go to the professor now?​

CHOICE

すぐに教授の所にゆく - Go to the professor
もう少し昼寝をする - Nap some more

(I chose the first one because we don't want to keep our employer waiting)

[Kosaku]
... Right, I'm tired of lounging. If I don't work a little, I'll totally degenerate.​

I awkwardly lifted my body out of the deck chair and slowly walked down the stairs to the cabin. I went down the narrow stairs and dived into the hold. It was split in two by the corridor, with the farthest cabin being the room used by the professor. I knocked on the door a little nervously.

Knock, knock.

[Professor]
"Please enter."

[Kosaku]
"Excuse me."​

[Professor]
"Oh, it's you."

03-deck-cabin-professor.png

This is professor Michio Hazama. He still looks young enough, despite his scholarly calmness, but his sharp gaze is somewhat intimidating.

[Kosaku]
"Did you want something, professor?"​

I asked while looking around casually. Even in the same cabin, the atmosphere is different from the room I'm using. The room is the same, but the professor seems to have all his favorite furniture set up. Vintage writing desk, typewriter, stacks of books piled up... it all gave off an illusion of being in a professor's study.

[Professor]
"Hmmm... I did call you here. It was a long voyage, but we'll be able to reach our destination tomorrow morning. Once we arrive on the island, we will have to go through the jungle. Pack up your luggage tonight and take a good rest."

[Kosaku]
"Huh..."​

[Professor]
"What's that ambiguous answer? Did you understand me?"

[Kosaku]
"Yes, Professor."​

[Professor]
"Good, that's all I have to say. Do you have any questions?"

[Kosaku]
(What... did you call me here just to say that?)​

[Professor]
"What's the matter? Is there something?"

[Kosaku]
"No, not really."​

[Professor]
"Hey, Reiko, is there anything from you?"

[Reiko]
"There is."

04-cabin-reiko.png

This woman, Reiko Asaka, has been working as an assistant to Professor Hazama for several years. She is a gorgeous woman with a beguiling appearance and she speaks with calm intelligence.

[Reiko]
"Please tell the same thing to the other assistants, Sakurai and Takanashi."

[Kosaku]
"All right, I'll tell them."​

[Reiko]
"That's all from me, professor."

[Professor]
"Hm. We still have something to do before we get to the island. Thank you.

[Kosaku]
"Yes, I'll be leaving now."​

After a quick bow to the professor and Reiko-san, I left the room hurriedly.

[Kosaku]
Phew.​

I get nervous around him... he's strangely intimidating and it makes me feel like I'm suffocating.

[Kosaku]
For now, I have to tell Sakurai and Takanashi what I just heard... Yes, they are probably...​

CHOICE

船室にいるはずだ - They should be in their cabin
デッキにいるはずだ - They should be on the deck

(I've chosen the cabin here, you'll see why)

[Kosaku]
... They must be in their cabin.​

I've stood in front of the cabin assigned to them and knocked on the door.

Knock, knock.

[Kosaku]
... Hmmm... Are they both on the deck?​

CHOICE

ドアを開けてみる - Open door
もう一度ノックする - Knock again

(the choice is obvious here)

I waited a bit and there was no response from inside. When I put my hand on the doorknob, it didn't seem to be locked... I gently pushed the door open.

[Kosaku]
Is... is that...?​

05-ayano-ass1.png

When I casually looked into the room, my gaze was suddenly nailed to the white naked body that came into my view. There was an innocent girl in a towel in the room.

[Kosaku]
Isn't that... Ayano-san?​

This seems to be one of the other part-time assistants, Ayano Sakurai. I've met her several times in the seminar, but I've never talked to her before. Ayano is by no means beautiful, but she is a nice stylish girl with a bright personality that has the air of a college student. Has she taken a shower? Her body was flushed with pink like sakura and her hair was moist and wet.

[Kosaku]
Th-this is bad...​

I was peeping like a pervert. Fortunately, Ayano didn't seem to notice me yet, she was trying to put underwear on while humming.

[Kosaku]
A-anyway, I'll just close the door again so I won't be noticed.​

I tried to close the door quietly. However, against my intention, the door hinge made a slight squeak.

Squeak!

06-ayano-ass2.png

[Ayano]
"Eh?... Eeeek! Who's there?!"

[Kosaku]
"Err...Sorry! It's me, Kosaku!"​

08-ayano.gif

[Ayano]
"Ko-Kosaku-kun!? What on earth are you doing here?"

[Kosaku]
"I, er, was sent by the professor. Nobody answered when I knocked. I, uh, I didn't think you were changing clothes."​

[Ayano]
"Wait! Ho-how long have you been watching? Get out!"

[Kosaku]
"Oh... oh, sorry... B-but to talk..."​

[Ayano]
"Okay, okay, c'mon, close the door!"

[Kosaku]
"I, uh, understand..."​

[Kosaku]
Phew... I was so surprised.​

My heart was still pounding. The image of Ayano's naked limbs was burned into my mind and I couldn't stop thinking about it.

[Kosaku]
Anyway, Ayano-san has a beautiful body.​

[Ayano]
"Kosaku-kun, are you still there?"

I heard Ayano's voice through the door, and it sounded much calmer now.

[Kosaku]
"Oh? Oh, uh, I'm still here."​

[Ayano]
"I'm sorry. It was so sudden, so I was surprised and started screaming."
(oh, Ayano, you're so nice. Remember '95, guys? back then animu girls didn't immediately murder protag when he saw them naked)

[Kosaku]
"No, no, it was very bad for me to enter your room without permission."​

[Ayano]
"Yeah... You should be careful when you enter a girl's room."

[Kosaku]
I can't see her face, but judging by her voice Ayano seems to be laughing... Apparently, she doesn't seem to mind.​
(sigh)

[Ayano]
"So, did you have something to talk about?"

[Kosaku]
"Oh, I was just told by the professor..."​

[Ayano]
"Will you wait on the deck? I'll change clothes and come up there."

[Kosaku]
"Oh, I understand. If you're just starting out, it'll take some time before you're done.​

[Kosaku]
Yes, let's go up to the deck.​

Climbing up the narrow stairs again, I went up to the deck that was bathing in the midsummer sun.

09-deck.png

[Voice]
"Ko-sa-ku-saaan!"

10-deck-yumi.png

[Yumi]
"It's nice that the weather is good, and what are you doing?"

[Kosaku]
"Oh, Yumi-chan. I was just looking for you."​

This girl is Takanashi Yumi, who is also a part-time assistant like me and Ayano. She looks like a junior high school student, but she is a freshman in the same university as me.

[Yumi]
"Were you looking for Yumi? Or maybe Ayano-chan?"
(damn, that pedokawaii illeism shit. thankfully it's not obnoxious here)

[Kosaku]
"Wh-what are you talking about? I was looking for both of you. The professor told me to tell you something."​

[Yumi]
"Huh, really?"

[Kosaku]
"Really. Would I lie about something like that?"​

[Yumi]
"Well, I'll believe you then. Nyahaha.

[Kosaku]
"... What's she talking about? Jeez."​
(these two lines i feel like i've missed something, hopefully, someone corrects that)

11-deck-yumi-ayano.png

[Ayano]
"... Thanks for waiting, Kosaku"

[Kosaku]
"Ah!"​

[Ayano]
"What are you talking about here?"

[Kosaku]
"Sorry for earlier, Ayano-san."​

[Ayano]
"Yeah, it's all good, don't worry."

[Yumi]
"??? Kosaku, what did you do?"

[Kosaku]
"Erm, nothing."​

[Yumi]
“Weird. Well, nevermind. Ayano-chan, we were talking about you right now."

[Ayano]
"No way, Yumi-chan, don't tell Kosaku anything weird."

[Yumi]
"Tee-hee, it's fine. I haven't told anything."

[Kosaku]
"Um, I haven't heard anything, so it's okay."​

[Ayano]
"Heh, what are you so tense about?"

[Kosaku]
"I'm not, not really. Oh, yeah, I need to tell you something."​

[Ayano]
"What? Tell me."

[Kosaku]
"I was just called by professor Hazama and he said that we'll finally reach our destination tomorrow morning."​

[Ayano]
"Really?! I'm so glad!"

[Yumi]
"So great, I was just getting tired of life on the yacht."

[Ayano]
"Finally on land... I'm so excited."

[Kosaku]
"And we will have to go through the jungle after arriving on the island, so I'll sleep early tonight to prepare for tomorrow."​

[Ayano]
"Okay, I'll have to make various preparations, too."

[Yumi]
"Ayano-chan, my stuff is all over the room. Guess I'll have to clean it up before I get off the boat."

[Ayano]
"That's right. I'll have to start right now or I won't be ready in time. Yumi-chan, let's return to the room immediately and start cleaning up."

[Yumi]
"Okay, let's do it."

[Ayano]
"Sorry, Kosaku-kun. We'll go back to our room. Thank you very much for letting us know."

[Kosaku]
"Girls sure have it tough... In many ways."​

[Ayano]
"Are you fine without preparing?"

[Kosaku]
"Well, I only brought clothes."​

[Ayano]
"Boys, huh. Okay then."

[Yumi]
"See you later, Kosaku-san."

[Kosaku]
... By the way, should I go back to my room and organize my stuff?​

CHOICE

船室に戻る - Return to the cabin
デッキに残る - Remain on the deck

(I'm a good boi so I'll just go prepare for...)

[Kosaku]
Yeah, I should go back to my cabin.​

I started walking but stopped immediately after seeing a figure standing on the deck.

[Kosaku]
Who's that?​

12-deck-shiori.png

[Kosaku]
Oh, that's Shiori-san.​

[Shiori]
"Who's there... is that you, Kosaku-san?"

[Kosaku]
"Hello, Shiori-san."​

[Shiori]
"So it is Kosaku after all. Hello."

This is Shiori Hazama, professor Hazama's wife. She looks calm and mature, but she is still 21 years old. It looks like she and professor are 25 years apart in age. Shiori-san has an eyesight problem from a birth defect and can hardly see anything. She is a quiet woman with gentle eyes that always look far away.

[Shiori]
"This wind is so lovely, it feels good on deck. Michio-san told me to stay in the cabin because being on the deck is dangerous, but I'm bored."

After she said that, Shiori-san smiled playfully, looking like a cute young girl.

[Kosaku]
"We're going to arrive at our destination tomorrow morning, maybe you've already heard from the professor."​

[Shiori]
"No, it's the first time I hear that. Michio always shuts himself in the cabin absorbed with research."

[Kosaku]
"Oh, I'm sorry. Did I say something wrong?"​

[Shiori]
"Hahaha, it's fine, don't worry. Before the trip, Michio told me not to go with him, because it was a research trip, and it would be difficult for me, if not dangerous. But I really wanted to be near him... and he allowed me to go on condition that I would not disturb his work. It's just something I'm not used to, if I'm troubling you and other students, please forgive me."

[Kosaku]
"No, I don't think there's any trouble at all. More than that, I'm envious of the professor. You are so thoughtful."​

[Shiori]
"Hehehe, Kosaku-san, you're so nice. But Michio is still studying as usual and doesn't care about me at all. I feel somewhat lonely."

[Kosaku]
"I'll always keep you company if it's fine. So, cheer up, Shiori-san."​

[Shiori]
"Thank you, you are so kind."

Shiori-san laughed while saying that, but I still felt she was lonely. For a while there was an awkward silence, but Shiori-san opened her mouth as if she suddenly noticed something.

[Shiori]
"The wind has changed. I wonder if it'll rain soon?"

[Kosaku]
"What? No way. Even with how good the weather is now?"​

[Kosaku]
I looked around involuntarily, it was clear all around us with no clouds, and it didn't look like it would rain soon.​

[Shiori]
"I feel it on my skin. It will rain soon."

[Kosaku]
"I see, that's how it is, then."​

[Shiori]
"Would Michio worry if he knew I was on the deck alone?"

[Kosaku]
"It's certainly dangerous for Shiori-san to be alone on the deck. Professor would, of course, be worried."​

[Shiori]
"... Well, I'm going back to my cabin. See you later, Kosaku-san. Thank you."

[Kosaku]
...​

Shiori-san was gone and I was left alone on the deck. I felt that the wind has become a little stronger.

[Kosaku]
I'll return to the cabin, too.​

I decided to get off the deck and go back to my cabin. I returned there, finished packing while changing clothes, and lied down on bed aimlessly.

[Kosaku]
What?​

The sky seen from the cabin window has become cloudy looking like it's going to rain soon. Eventually, I heard a low thunder roaring with a flash of dazzling lightning, and large drops of rain began to hit the window glass.

[Kosaku]
... Just like Shiori-san said... Until a few minutes ago it was such a nice weather...​

The rain suddenly increased in intensity, and the wind started howling violently. Our boat was quickly enveloped in a violent storm. The hull was tossed up and down by the big waves and swayed violently from side to side. I heard an ominous creaking sound echoing in the cabin. Just as I was pushed from below, I felt the feeling of falling into the abyss, as if my whole room was on a roller coaster.

[Kosaku]
Such a great storm... Is the ship all right?​

I lost all sense of direction with my semicircular canal paralyzed. I was desperately trying not to vomit while clinging to bed in a swaying cabin.

Gii...

Mishi-mishi-mishi-mishi...

...Baki!!!

(japanese onomatopoeia ending with BOOM I guess)

[Kosaku]
Wh-What?​

What was that sound? With the thundering crash of Lucifer's hammer something broke off from the bottom of the hull.
(ルシフェル - rushiferu, hehehe. Also, it was more like "with the sound of hammer of Lucifer, the king of hell" but I decided to short it out to flow better. I guess the writer wanted it to sound like a narrator for an epic story)

A heard a rush of footsteps, and the door opened to reveal Monica with a scared look on her face. She jumped into the cabin.

[Monica]
"Tosaku, it's very bad!"

[Kosaku]
"Wh-what happened?"​

[Monica]
"Something crashed into our side and tore a hole through the hull!"

[Kosaku]
"What?!"​

[Monica]
"The boat's done! We have to escape before sinking!"

[Kosaku]
"Escape? We can't just jump into the sea! ... With this storm!?"​

[Monica]
"There is a lifeboat on the deck, we'll take it!"

[Kosaku]
"What about the others? Did you tell everyone?!"​

[Monica]
"I told them! You're the last!"

[Kosaku]
"Oh, okay. Let's do it!"​

Struggling with a swaying vessel, we ran to a lifeboat on the deck.

13-deck-storm.png

[Monica]
"The lifeboat is over there! Tosaku, get on it!"

[Kosaku]
"Wait a minute... Aren't we missing someone!?"​

[Yumi]
"Kosaku-saan!"

[Ayano]
"Kosaku-kun! Professor and Reiko-san are not with us!"

[Kosaku]
"Shiori-san? She's missing too!"​

[Ayano]
"Shiori-san... She was with us in the boat... She must've gone back for the professor!"

[Kosaku]
"What!? What have you done! Shiori-san is blind!"​

[Ayano]
"I'm sorry! She wouldn't listen to me when I tried to stop her...."

[Yumi]
"Let's just go! Yumi doesn't want to drown."

[Monica]
"Tosaku. This ship is going to sink soon. It's dangerous if we don't leave now. What will you do?"

CHOICE

みんなを助けに船室に戻る - Return to the cabin to help everyone
このままボートで逃げ出す - Escape by boat as it is

(this is one of these times where the second choice is just fake, let me show you)

[Kosaku]
It's too dangerous to return to the cabin. We should leave.​

As I thought that, Shiori-san's gentle smile appeared in my mind.

[Kosaku]
N-no way!​

I can't leave Shiori-san.

(okay, let's return to the cabin then)

[Kosaku]
"I can't leave the professor and others... It's dangerous, but I'll go back to the cabin for them."​

[Ayano]
"No way... That's dangerous!"

[Kosaku]
"There is no other way. Monica, stay here with everyone. If the boat begins to sink, just leave."​

[Monica]
"I understand, but I can't wait for long. Hurry."

[Kosaku]
"I know."​

[Yumi]
"Be careful, Kosaku-san."

[Kosaku]
"Okay, I'll be back soon."​

The inside of the cabin was already knee-deep with water. I was almost swimming halfway and headed to the door. The door to the professor's cabin was half-open and was creaking while swinging in the seawater.

[Kosaku]
"Professor! Reiko-san!! Shiori-saan!!!"​

I called out loudly and there was no response, but I heard the professor and his wife screaming in the cabin.

14-cabin.png

[Shiori]
"Michio-san, please go, it's dangerous to stay here."

[Professor]
"I know... These documents over there too! Please put them in the case. Just a little longer... I can't afford to lose these research materials."

[Reiko]
"Professor, they will get wet with seawater."

[Professor]
"I don't care! I don't want to lose them... Just grab as much as you can!"

[Kosaku]
"Professor, what are you doing?!"​

[Shiori]
"Kosaku-san?"

[Professor]
"Oh, it's you? Are you ready to leave the boat?!"
(interestingly prof doesn't bother calling protag by name in this scene. could be that he doesn't in all of the game, i'll check it out later)

[Kosaku]
"The lifeboat is waiting on the deck! Please hurry!"​

[Professor]
"Not yet! I won't move until we have all the research materials!"

[Kosaku]
"That's not gonna happen! Professor, are you going to doom us all?"​
(巻き添え (makizoe) - the writer is using this word I recall from anime translations, signifying "involvement", "getting mixed in". so i guess it's literally translated more like "are you going to involve us all in your business" which must be something from japanese culture)

[Professor]

[Reiko]
"Professor, we have no more room for materials."

[Professor]
"Shit, no more... No choice but to escape then. Reiko, you have your case. I'll take this one. You, help Shiori."

[Kosaku]
"Understood. Let's hurry to the deck!"​

[Professor]
"Alright, let's go."

The walls of the hold were all torn and the seawater was swirling almost at my waist. We were trying to get up to the deck inside the violently swaying ship.

[Kosaku]
I hope the lifeboat is still there...​

The professor and Reiko-san each had a large attache case and were often struggling as they were being pushed back by the flowing seawater.

Zazazazazazazaza!!!

[Shiori]
"Eeeek!"

[Kosaku]
"Shi-shiori-san !!"​

I grabbed Shiori-san's arm and pulled it in, as her delicate body was almost washed away by the flowing seawater.

[Kosaku]
"Good job, a lifeboat is waiting if you can climb these stairs!"​

[Shiori]
"Y-yes."

Firmly holding Shiori-san, I desperately pushed down the corridor. We've finally reached the stairs to the deck, with the professor in front and then Reiko-san and Shiori-san after.

[Kosaku]
"Just a little more, Shiori-san!"​

Fighting the flowing seawater, I desperately pushed up Shiori-san's body and finally got up on the deck.

13-deck-storm.png

[Monica]
"Hazama! Tosaku!"

[Yumi]
"Kooosaku-saaaan!"

[Ayano]
"Hurry! Get into the boat!

Monica and others were screaming from the lifeboat; it was still on board.

[Professor]
"You, don't leave Shiori!"

[Kosaku]
"It's fine, just hurry to the boat!"​

Almost out of breath, holding Shiori-san with one hand, I hurried the professor. At that time, I heard a horrible sound from overhead.

Mekimekimekimekimekimeki!!!

[Kosaku]
"Ma-mast!? Professor, watch out!"​

[Monica]
「NO!!‥‥‥」

[Kosaku and Hazama]
"!!!"​

Gwashaaaaaaaan!!!

[Kosaku]
"Aaaaaaaah!!"​

My body was violently hit, and I was thrown out of the boat - the mast could not withstand the storm and suddenly fell on the deck.

Zabuuuun!!

[Kosaku]
"... Shit, the boat!?"​

Holding Shiori-san with one hand, I desperately tried to look around. The sea was dark and I could not even see where the boat was, which should have been right beside me.

[Kosaku]
"Shiori-san! Are you okay, Shiori-san?!"​

[Shiori]

She seemed to breathe for the moment, but lost consciousness from the shock.

[Kosaku]
"Professor! Reiko-san! Monica! Ayano-san! Yumi-chan!!!"​

As I was almost drowning in the waves, I kept screaming, but the storm was getting stronger and my screams were drowned out. Desperately swimming, I changed my arm holding Shiori-san. I'm not a good swimmer. My limbs were already heavy like lead and they were about to give out.

[Kosaku]
Damn it, I'm going to drown here...​

But I kept swimming, as the high waves overwhelmed and swallowed me. It's like my limbs were no longer mine, weren't listening to what I was telling them to do. Everything went white with my consciousness gradually fading, and a strangely pleasant sensation began to spread from the back of my head throughout the body.

[Kosaku]
Th-this no good.​

I don't remember anything from there. I've lost consciousness like a tired child who fell asleep.

For the moonspeakers out there here's a Google Doc with all the source text.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BYMMtMa0ZlLsSILwoZt9-YqTZ14pQJ65FuzDpcsC4SE/edit?usp=sharing

.TXT
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rsf64b2Om93-VfeTrt5jEJa_7JI9pgzo/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
G-Go on...

Nice idea posting the OST of the game as well for the seperate parts.

shywn

Savant
/me took a look at the moonspeak document.

This game seems on par with, if not better in quality than the others of 1995, and skimming through this I began to wonder why this game had slipped my radar.

...and the answer to that question is... This is one of them tentacley games.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Daily reminder that tentacles are a form of censorship.

Usually not my thing, depends how it's done. Plant tentacles can be alright.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I played Reira Slave Doll from Silky's and it was barely ok. Not a fan of Silky's art. Didn't put any other games from them on my list.

shywn

Savant
BTW, any advice on how to make this better is appreciated.

Maybe it's just me, but I found the name tags visually rather indistinct from the surrounding text (despite the boldface) and thus hard to follow, so I recommend wrapping them in something like [ font=courier ] to make them stand out better:

[Kosaku] Phew... I was so surprised.

My heart is still pounding. The image of Ayano's naked limbs is burned into my mind and I can't stop thinking about it.

[Kosaku] Anyway, Ayano-san has a beautiful body.

[Ayano] "Kosaku-kun, are you still there?"

[Kosaku] "Oh? Oh, uh, I'm still here."

You could combine that with [ indent ] for a rather pleasant effect:

[Kosaku]

My heart is still pounding. The image of Ayano's naked limbs is burned into my mind and I can't stop thinking about it.

[Kosaku]

[Ayano]
"Kosaku-kun, are you still there?"​

[Kosaku]

The latter format is something I've been thinking of using sometime myself. Reads like a script for a play.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
So let's start. BTW, any advice on how to make this better is appreciated.

I think it would be more readable if you used pictures instead of name tags.

Also perhaps when a character has more than one line, collapse them in one block

Instead of
[Kosaku] "Deck cleaning? Hey-hey, you make customers work here?"

[Kosaku] "Even though I'm free, why do I have to do that?"

write

[Kosaku] "Deck cleaning? Hey-hey, you make customers work here? Even though I'm free, why do I have to do that?"

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
Maybe it's just me, but I found the name tags visually rather indistinct from the surrounding text (despite the boldface) and thus hard to follow, so I recommend wrapping them in something like [ font=courier ] to make them stand out better:

[Kosaku] Phew... I was so surprised.

[Kosaku] Anyway, Ayano-san has a beautiful body.

[Ayano] "Kosaku-kun, are you still there?"

[Kosaku] "Oh? Oh, uh, I'm still here."

You could combine that with [ indent ] for a rather pleasant effect:

[Kosaku]

[Kosaku]

[Ayano]
"Kosaku-kun, are you still there?"​

[Kosaku]

The latter format is something I've been thinking of using sometime myself. Reads like a script for a play.

Awesome, thanks for these. I really like the indentation thing and I will play around with different fonts. Maybe color tags or colors, too? Like this (protag stays white):

[Kosaku]

[Ayano]
"Kosaku-kun, are you still there?"

[Yumi]
"Tee-hee, it's fine. I haven't told anything."

[Monica]
"Oh, I'm never bored, Tosaku."

[Shiori]
"Michio-san, please go, it's dangerous to stay here."

[Professor]
"Just a little longer... I can't afford to lose these research materials."

[Reiko]
"Professor, they will get wet with seawater."

I think it would be more readable if you used pictures instead of name tags.

Also perhaps when a character has more than one line, collapse them in one block

Instead of

write

I'll do some collapsing, that's a good idea. Protags are always very introspective in these games.
As for the pictures, I've tried it and I don't like the results. Its either this (original resolution):

char-ayano-say.png
"What are you talking about here?"

Or this (x0.5, no filtering):

char-monica-say-small.png
"By the way, Tosaku... If you're free, why don't you help with cleaning the deck?"

x0.25 with filtering:
char-monica-say-small2.png
"Oh, right... Tell me whenever you want to clean the deck."

The last one is almost fine but I can't align the text vertically so it still looks ugly. Plus reduces the compactness and greatly increases the amount of scrolling you need to do to read. The best I can think of is adding screenshots when new character appears on scene or old one leaves.

Endemic

Arcane
Daily reminder that tentacles are a form of censorship.

Usually not my thing, depends how it's done. Plant tentacles can be alright.

The setting justifies an actual octopus-thing or plant monster, but let's see what happens. :P

shywn

Savant
As for the pictures, I've tried it and I don't like the results.

I made my LP have overly large fonts just to make the images not overwhelm the text... The end result wasn't bad at all, actually.

Oh, right. I was wondering why some of lines tagged with [Kosaku] lacked quotation marks, but then I realised that they were lines he was thinking to himself... A rather confusing format from the game.

【Yumi】「ふーん、ほんとかなあ?」
[Yumi] "Huh, really?"

【Kosaku】「ほんとだって‥‥‥こんな事で嘘をついてもしょうがないだろ?」
[Kosaku] "Really. Would I lie about something like that?"

【Yumi】「ま、いっか‥‥‥そういう事にしといてあげる.にゃははっ」
[Yumi] "Well, I will keep that to myself then. Nyahaha.

【Kosaku】「‥‥‥何がそういう事にしておいてあげる、だ.まったく」
[Kosaku] "... What's she talking about? Jeez."
(these two lines i feel like i've missed something, hopefully someone corrects that)

Yeah. The third line means something like "I'll believe you, then."

Do you want more?

Last edited:

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
Sure, keep 'em coming. And the fourth one, then? Do you intend to go through the Google Doc or just want me to send lines your way that I don't understand clearly?

Huge font is this thing I'm hesitant about with the amount of text in the game.

shywn

Savant
Yeah, I basically just wanted something to read since I hadn't read anything in a while, and then there was that document with the whole intro in Japanese, so I went ahead and read it. And since the English version was right there, I did a quick comparison of whether it roughly matched with what I read.

Please bear in mind that I by no means have mastered Japanese and find sentences that I struggle with all the time.

Er, this is the moment to get yourself a pen and paper and make notes.

【Kosaku】Hazama教授に聞けば分かるのだろうけど‥‥‥教授は船に乗って以来、船室にこもりきりだしな.多分、自分の研究に没頭してるのだろう.
[Kosaku] If you think about it, professor hasn't left his cabin since he got on the boat, probably immersed in his research.

【Kosaku】他の連中に聞けば分かるかな.そういえば他の連中はどうしているんだろう?
[Kosaku] I wonder what the others are doing?

You left these two parts untranslated.
"I could ask the professor (and he'd tell me.)"

狭い階段を降りて、キャビンに潜る‥‥‥いくつかに仕切られた船室の中で、一番奥の船室が、教授の使っている部屋だ.
I went down the narrow stairs and dived into the cabin. It was partitioned in two, with the innermost cabin being the room used by the professor.

QqqDOCR.png

Hazama教授はどうも苦手だ‥‥‥妙に威圧感があって、一緒にいるとまるで息が詰まるような気分になってしまう.
Prof. Hazama is not good at it... he's strangely intimidating and it makes me feel like I'm suffocating.

"I don't like dealing with prof. Hazama at all." or
"I get nervous when I'm around prof. Hazama." or...

Ayanoさんは決してすごい美人と言うわけじゃないが‥‥‥今時の大学生らしい、おしゃれで明るい性格の素敵な女の子だ.
Ayano is by no means beautiful, but she is a nice stylish girl with a bright personality. She is a college student.

He's not saying that she's a college student, but that she has the air (manner) of a modern college student.

Also, s/beautiful/a drop-dead beauty/ but that's a matter of taste I guess.

【Yumi】「ま、いっか‥‥‥そういう事にしといてあげる.にゃははっ」
[Yumi] "Well, I will keep that to myself then. Nyahaha.

【Kosaku】「‥‥‥何がそういう事にしておいてあげる、だ.まったく」
[Kosaku] "... What's she talking about? Jeez."

I'm sure you've heard somebody explaining something and then ending the explanation with "sou iu koto da" "that's how it is" or perhaps the listener says "hee, sou iu koto datta no ka" "oh, so that's how it was".

This is that line, but here it is combined with ~ni site oku. The meaning ends up being something like "I'll believe you, then." I guess.

You sidestepped the issue with your translation of Kosaku's line, so that line is fine as-is.

【Kosaku】「女の子は、大変だなあ‥‥‥色々と
[Kosaku] "This girl is so serious."

"Girls sure have it tough (in many ways.)"

【Ayano】「ご、ごめんなさいっ!!でも、止めてもきいてくれなかったから‥‥‥
[Ayano] "I'm sorry! She didn't ask me..."

"She wouldn't listen to me when I tried to stop her."

【Kosaku】くそっ‥‥‥こ、このままじゃ‥‥‥.
[Kosaku] Damn it, just like this...

The full sentence is something like "kono mama zya oboretyau."

"Damn it, this doesn't look good." or
"Damn it, I'm going to drown here."

手足が痺れて感覚が無くなってゆく.まるで自分の物ではないように言う事を聞いてくれない.
My limbs went numb, my senses dimmed, and I couldn't hear myself anymore.

Look up iu koto wo kiku.

"It's like my limbs were no longer mine, weren't listening to what I was telling them to do."

I'll stop derailing this thread now.

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
If you want, you can use the edit suggestions in the Google Doc (at least I think it should be enabled). I'll edit the original post when I've the time. Thanks for your corrections, too.

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
PART 02: DAY 1 - GETTING TOGETHER

I was dreaming... I don't remember what the dream was, only the feeling of warmth. Someone called me in a dream with a gentle voice.

[Voice]
...-san... Kosaku-san.

[Kosaku]
... Stop it, don't wake me up yet. I want to savor this feeling a little more...​

[Voice]
“... Kosaku-san... Wake up, Kosaku-san."

15-shiori1.png

[Shiori]
"... Kosaku-san!!"

[Kosaku]
"... Shiori... san?"​

I woke up and saw a worried face of Shiori-san right in front of me, and she was about to cry.

[Shiori]
"So glad... You're okay."

[Kosaku]
"... I, uh... not really..."​

My head was heavy as lead. My thoughts were hazy and blurred. Where was I? I couldn't remember what I was doing.

[Kosaku]
"... Where?"​

[Shiori]
"I don't know... We're on an island somewhere."

[Kosaku]
"Island?..."​

Suddenly, I wanted to get up and look around.

[Kosaku]
"Oh!!"​

[Shiori]
"Oh, don't get up, Kosaku-san."

Shiori-san hastily held my body saying that in the tone of a mother caring for her child. Severe pain ran through my body and I couldn't get up.

[Shiori]
"You have to lie down for a while."

Gradually, my thoughts became clearer with the pain. We got hit by a sudden storm.

[Kosaku]
"That's it... Have we been washed ashore?"​

I've recalled the memory of the previous night vividly. The storm that we endured.

[Kosaku]
"Professor and the others... what happened to them?"​

[Shiori]
"I don't know... When I came to my senses, you were lying here beside me."

[Kosaku]
"Is that so..."​

[Shiori]
"Kosaku-san, you held on to me all the way here. I thought you'd die because your body was so cold."

16-shiori2.png

Shiori-san is lying on my side and seems to have warmed me with her body while I was out.

[Shiori]
"Thank you... If Kosaku-san wasn't with me, I would..."

[Kosaku]
"Don't worry... Anyone would do the same."​

I said that and felt embarrassed. I looked again and, indeed, we were hugging each other while being completely naked. Looks like she did that to dry wet clothes... I saw my clothes hanging under a palm tree and swinging slightly.

[Kosaku]
...​

Shiori-san's soft warm body was pressed tightly against mine. She was so slender, and it felt surprisingly sensual.

[Kosaku]
"Erm, Shiori-san."​

[Shiori]
"What? Are you hurt somewhere?"

That's not it... I'm just confused. Shiori-san doesn't seem to care, but my fingertips have touched her inner thighs a while ago, and I felt the soft hair of her bush.

[Kosaku]
Th-this is bad.​

17-shiori3.png

Suddenly I started imagining wild things, and they swirled in my head indecently. My alter ego, sensitive to that, was about to lift its head like a guard dog who noticed his master's return.
(nice metaphor)

[Kosaku]
"I feel a lot better now... so... don't worry about me.”​

I put up with my pain and tried to stand up. It felt strange because we were still hugging each other.

[Shiori]
"Don't push yourself too hard... You'd better sleep some more."

Shiori-san gently pushed me back trying to get me to sleep.

16-shiori2.png

Her buxom breasts were in close contact with my body, and her flowing hair tickled my cheeks.

[Kosaku]
"N-no... Not that."​

The remains of my good sense evaporated, and the thing in the lower part of my body had swollen like a thunder cloud in midsummer.
(woah, even nicer metaphor)

[Shiori]
"Eh? Eeeeeeek!?"

Shiori-san seemed to notice a change in my body, sprang up astonished and jumped away from me.

[Shiori]

[Kosaku]
"I, uh, I'm sorry... I didn't want to do that."​

[Shiori]

[Kosaku]
"I'm, uh... It's fine, really...”​

[Shiori]
"Um... I'm sorry about this."

Shiori-san hid her body with her hand awkwardly; her face was all red with shame. I stood up slowly holding back the pain and reached for my clothes hanging in the tree shade. They were dry enough.

[Kosaku]
"Put on your clothes and we'll think about what to do next."​

I handed Shiori-san her clothes and started to dress.

18-shore.png

After we've put on our clothes, we've decided to walk along the shore. The first reason was that I didn't know what this island was and its interior part was covered with deep jungle with who knows what dangers awaiting us. Another reason was that, since we've been washed up here, the others could have been washed up on this island as well. Though she didn't say it, Shiori-san seemed to be concerned about the professor's safety... I hoped he was okay too.

Anyway, the only thing we have is our clothes, and by sunset, we would've had to find some food and a safe place to sleep. The sky was clear as if last night's storm never happened, and around us laid the azure sea of emerald-strewn bluish coral reefs. Stepping on the pure white sand of the coastline, we walked close to each other.

I don't know how long we've walked, sweat trickling down my back until my shirt was fully wet and stuck uncomfortably to it.

19-shore-shiori.png

[Kosaku]
"Hmmm, what's that?"​

[Shiori]
"Did you find something, Kosaku-san?"

[Kosaku]
"A person... I see someone over there."​

[Shiori]
"A person? Who is it?"

It was still far away and I had no idea; it seemed like there was only one person. But that slightly moving shadow indeed looked like a human figure.

[Kosaku]
"I don't know, let's get closer. Shiori-san, faster!"​

I took Shiori-san's hand and tried to run on the beach.

[Shiori]
"Wa-wait a minute, Kosaku-san!"

Suddenly pulled out of balance, Shiori-san was about to fall. I completely forgot that she was blind.

[Shiori]
"I-I'm sorry. Can you walk a little slower?"

[Kosaku]
"Oh, sorry... But."​

I looked at the figure again, and I had a nagging feeling it would disappear before we got there.

[Kosaku]
That's a problem... I can't leave Shiori-san here.​

[Kosaku]
...​

[Kosaku]
Yes, Shiori-san...​

CHOICE

抱えて走る - Run while holding her
背負って走る - Run while carrying her on my back

(this choice doesn't matter much, just a variation, but I did both out of curiosity, so here's the first one)

CHOICE 1:

I picked Shiori-san up and ran on the sandy beach.

[Shiori]
"Eeeeek... What are you doing?!"

[Kosaku]
"This will be faster. Shiori-san, hold on!"​

[Shiori]
"P-put me down... Kosaku-san, I'm scared!"

[Kosaku]
"Hey, it's dangerous if you don't hold me tight!"​

[Shiori]
"...Noooooooooo!"

Shiori-san kept screaming while holding on to my shoulders, and I ran across the sandy beach towards the figure. As I got closer, the figure gradually became clearer... Apparently, it was a woman. She noticed us and started waving her hand.

[Kosaku]
"... Re-reiko-san. You're okay."​

21-shore-reiko-shiori.png

[Reiko]
"Both of you, guys... You're both safe. I'm so glad."

With that said, Reiko-san smiled happily, looking relieved.

CHOICE 2:

[Kosaku]
"Shiori-san, hold onto my back!"​

[Shiori]
"...What?"

[Kosaku]
"I'll run while carrying you."​

[Shiori]
"Ko-kosaku-san... you don't have to do that."

[Kosaku]
"This is faster. Before we lose the sight of that person... come on!"​

[Shiori]
"Uh, oh... but..."

Shiori-san doesn't seem very enthusiastic to do so, she is standing still and not trying to grab my back.

[Kosaku]
"Oh, I can't help it any longer."​

I grabbed Shiori-san behind me and started running like a rabbit.

[Shiori]
"Eeeek! Kosaku-san, I'm scared!"

[Kosaku]
"Hold firmly, Shiori-san!"​

Shiori-san held onto my back lowering her head, and I ran down the beach towards the figure. Running on a sandy beach is surprisingly exhausting even without holding anyone, but especially so if you're carrying a girl... but I was running anyway. The figure gradually became clearer as we got closer... it was indeed a woman.

[Kosaku]
Th-that's... Reiko-san?​

The familiar slender figure was certainly her. Standing near the border between the jungle and the sandy beach, Reiko-san stared at the trees while doing something... and suddenly she disappeared into the jungle. I hurried and ran faster.

[Kosaku]
"... Reiko-saaaan!"​

I cried out while running to where she was. Reiko-san's footprints were there on the sandy beach.

[Shiori]
"Reiko-san... was she there?"

[Kosaku]
"*huff* *huff* Yes, certainly. These are her footprints."​

Reiko-san's footprints have disappeared from the sandy beach into the jungle, where it was dim even in the daytime.

22-shore-bushes.png

[Kosaku]
"Reiko-san... what were you doing?"​

I was strangely curious about Reiko-san entering the jungle as if someone had called her.

[Kosaku]
"What should I do? I don't think she's gone too far yet."​

I was wondering if I should chase Reiko-san... The grass in front of me rustled, and a woman appeared pushing it aside.

23-shore-bushes-reiko.png

[Kosaku]
"Re-reiko-san. I'm so glad."​

[Reiko]
"You guys... Both of you are safe. I'm so happy."

[Kosaku]
"What were you going to do in the jungle?"​

[Reiko]
"Well... I was thinking about looking for some food, but I heard your voice. Really, I'm glad we've found each other."

With that said, Reiko-san smiled happily, looking relieved.

(then both choices merge into one)

20-shore-reiko.png

[Kosaku]
"So... did you swim by yourself in that storm?"​

[Reiko]
"When the ship's mast came down, I was thrown out into the sea and thought I was done for... luckily I was able to catch the ship's debris. Thanks to that, I washed ashore on this island."

[Kosaku]
"W-well, then the boat is..."​

[Reiko]
"Lit up by flashes of lighting... I saw how the boat was split in two. It must've sunk to the bottom of the sea."

[Kosaku]
...​

[Shiori]
“And Michio...No, Michio and others, what happened to them?"
(interestingly Shiori calls her husband Hazama since the beginning of the game. strained relationship or just another japanese custom?)

[Kosaku]
"That's right... Weren't they with you?"​

[Reiko]
"I'm sorry but... I was thrown out into the sea when the ship's mast fell, and I desperately tried to survive... I can't say anything about what happened to the others."

[Shiori]

[Kosaku]
"I see..."​

[Reiko]
"Yes, I guess. Let's hope they all made it to the shore."

Shiori-san looked disappointed, not knowing where the professor was, and Reiko-san also had a clouded expression.

[Kosaku]
"Both of you... don't look so glum. We don't yet have any confirmation about the others."​

I said that with a forced upbeat voice.

[Kosaku]
"Anyway, let's walk a little more along the coast, so we may look for the others."​

[Reiko]
"Right... let's do what Kosaku-san says."

Reiko-san said this as if reminding herself, and Shiori-san nodded, too.

[Kosaku]
"Alright, let's go."​

We decided to walk along the coastline on the sandy beach. While changing its topography and curving loosely, the beach did not seem to be interrupted at all, seemingly going on forever. The shine of white sand was dazzling, and my feet sank into it constantly making it harder to walk. Shiori-san and Reiko-san remained silent from a while ago, walking without saying a word.

18-shore.png

Before long the sun was near the zenith.

[Kosaku]
... Speaking of which, my stomach was empty.​

Thinking back, I haven't had anything since I woke up on the island, and now I've realized I was terribly hungry.

[Kosaku]
Whatever's fine. I want to eat something.​

Stopping myself, I looked across the endless coastline. If we continued walking along the shore, we probably wouldn't find anything to eat.

[Shiori]
"Anything wrong, Kosaku-san?"

Shiori-san asked me, wondering about my sudden stop, and Reiko-san looked back at us.

[Kosaku]
"No, it's just that I'm hungry."​

[Shiori]
"Yes, I'm going to die if I don't eat anything."

[Kosaku]
"Well, why not take a little break? I'm going to looking for something edible."​

This is a tropical island, and you can find fruit in the jungle.

[Reiko]
"That's good. Walking along the shore we won't find anything we can eat."

Reiko-san seems to agree with me. I looked around and found a handy palm tree shade nearby.

[Kosaku]
"You can rest in the shade over there, while I'm gonna look for something to eat."​

[Shiori]
"Yes, but..."

As I tried to pull her hand and take her to the shade of the tree, Shiori-san evaded me.

[Kosaku]
"What's wrong?"​

[Shiori]
"If it's possible... can we walk some more?"

[Kosaku]
...​

I understood Shiori-san's feelings. She must've been more concerned about the professor than herself now. But finding food now seemed like a first priority. Once you were hungry and couldn't move, you wouldn't be able to search for food.

[Shiori]
"I know that I'm selfish... Please, Kosaku-san."

Shiori-san said that and turned to me with an anxious expression.

CHOICE

もう少し海岸を歩く - Walk a little more along the shore
今のうちに食料を探す - Look for food

(this one is also just some variation is the narrative)

CHOICE 1:

[Kosaku]
"Okay, okay, don't look at me like that. It can't be helped. Let's go look for food a little later."​

I couldn't say anything back to Shiori-san when I looked at her face so I decided to give in. We walked even further along the shore. Just as before, the landscape around us remained the same and nothing could be found, only the white sandy beach.

[Kosaku]
Dang... How far does this beach go?​

Looking up at the blazing sun, I muttered annoyed. The sun was strong enough to make me dizzy. I was hungry and my feet were shaking; if I didn't walk like I was trying to kick the sand, I felt I would fall down. I couldn't think of anything because of the heat and hunger, I just silently and mechanically stepped along with everybody.

[Reiko]
"... Ah."

24-shore-bushes-boat.png

Suddenly, Reiko-san stopped with a cry, pointing to something ahead of us.

[Reiko]
"Kosaku-san... Look at that."

25-shore-bushes-boat-reiko.png

I stopped and looked where she pointed. Something was dragged along the beach starting from the waterfront, heading inland.

[Kosaku]
"... What are these marks?"​

As I followed the marks, I saw something yellow in the shadow of the grass that bordered the sandy beach and the jungle.

[Kosaku]
"Is, is that... Is that a lifeboat that Monica and others were in?!"​

The familiar rubber boat was definitely a lifeboat from our yacht. Judging by the marks, it seemed that the boat was lugged by someone to the grass so that it would not be washed away.

[Kosaku]
"It seems that Monica and others have reached this island, too."​

[Reiko]
"Then where are they?"

Reiko-san tilted her head in doubt. Sure, there's the boat, but no sign of Monica and the others.

[Kosaku]
"Maybe they went into the jungle?"​

[Reiko]
"... Let's get closer to the boat?"

[Kosaku]
"Yes, let's go..."​

When I went up close, the boat was lying upside down on a narrow strip of grass. It's been a while since it was dragged up, and the bottom of the boat was completely dry.

[Kosaku]
"It seems like no one is here?"​

[Reiko]
"Well, there's nothing around it."

Reiko-san frowned suspiciously while looking around. Not only the people on the boat weren't anywhere to be seen, they've also left no trace of where they went.

[Shiori]
"... Is there anything in the boat?"

26-shore-bushes-boat-reiko-shiori.png

[Kosaku]
"Yes, let's see."​

When Shiori-san told me, I lifted the boat and looked inside.

[Kosaku]
"... No... There's nothing. Where on earth did Monica and the others go? ..."​

With the lifeboat being so far from water, there was no doubt that Monica and others have landed safely on the island. But it looks like then they went somewhere.

[Reiko]
"I don't see any traces of them walking on the beach... Maybe they went into the jungle to look for food?"

I looked back at the beach. There were no traces on the sand beach other than our footprints and the trail left by dragging the boat.

[Kosaku]
"That's right, we have to search for food, too, so let's look in the jungle."​

I said casually while looking for Shiori-san's agreement. But she turned to the jungle and remained silent for a while.

[Kosaku]
"... Shiori-san?"​

[Shiori]
"Shh... I can hear a voice."

[Kosaku]
"... A voice?"​

I looked back at Reiko-san inadvertently, then listened for a while, paying attention to the sounds around me.

[Kosaku]
...​

When I listened carefully, I could hear the sound of waves washing the sandy beach. From the jungle, I heard the rustling of leaves and the faint sounds of small animals and insects... But not the voice that Shiori-san heard.

[Reiko]
"Maybe you were mistaken?"

Reiko-san muttered. I can't hear anything, too, so I wanted to agree with Reiko-san... And at that time... I definitely heard a voice. A faint one, like a muffled female scream.

[Shiori]
"I wasn't wrong... I can hear a woman's screams."

[Kosaku]
"I'm certain I heard it too just now."​

Are there any inhabitants on this island, or maybe Monica and others entered the jungle and are in danger now? Either way, the voice was definitely an urgent call for help.

[Kosaku]
"That's right, let's go to the direction of the voice. Shiori-san, do you know where the voice is coming from?"​

[Shiori]
"... That way."

After listening for a while, Shiori-san pointed to the direction in which she could hear the voice, deep in the gloom of the jungle.

[Kosaku]
"Okay, let's go."​

I pushed my way through the dark, dense growth into the jungle.

27-flowers.png

We stepped into the jungle which was dark even in daytime, trying to push through the dense fern undergrowth covering the ground. A variety of plants were growing thickly, intricately entangled with ivy and spreading their leaves in an attempt to expand their own territory. It was a virgin forest that people haven't stepped in for hundreds of years. When I looked back, we were only a little way in, but already I wouldn't be able to find the exit easily.

[Kosaku]
"If you get lost in such a deep jungle, you will never be able to get out."​

I picked up a small pebble near my foot and carved a sign on the tree trunk so as not to get lost.

Occasionally, we've stopped and asked Shiori-san for directions, and then continued to move through the jungle. The screams were gradually becoming loud and clear, and step by step we were getting closer to the source.
(amusingly, here both google and systran decided to translate 声の主に as Lord Of Voices. Step by step we were getting closer to THE LORD OF VOICES!)

[Kosaku]
"What's that?"​

Suddenly, the view behind the trees became brighter. There was a place where the dense jungle opened up letting the sunlight in. I couldn't tell from here, but the screams seemed to be coming from that location.

28-flowers-shiori-scared.png

[Shiori]
"Oh, that voice is... Monica-san?!"

CHOICE 2:

[Kosaku]
"I know how you feel, but... it's better to eat something now."​

[Kosaku]
"... If not, are you going to be the first one to collapse?"​

I knew how Shiori-san felt, but survival was our first priority. I've left the two of them to rest and went to look for food.

27-flowers.png

I stepped into the jungle which was dark even in daytime, trying to push through the dense fern undergrowth covering the ground. A variety of plants were growing thickly, intricately entangled with ivy and spreading their leaves in an attempt to expand their own territory. It was a virgin forest that people haven't stepped in for hundreds of years. When I looked back, I was only a little way in, but already I wouldn't be able to find the exit easily.

[Kosaku]
"If you get lost in such a deep jungle, you will never be able to get out."​

I picked up a small pebble near my foot and carved a sign on the tree trunk so as not to get lost.

The mossy humid ground was slippery as if covered in slime and made a wet sploosh every time I stepped on it. My legs were getting entangled by ivy and it was hard to walk.

[Kosaku]
Where are they... Are there any edible fruits here?​

As I looked around carefully, stepping deeper and deeper into the jungle, I couldn't find anything that looked like food so far. When I looked up, I saw a blue sky peeking slightly between the lush leaves. Looking up from here it seemed like it was on another world. I could hear intermittent shrill cries of an unknown animal coming from nowhere. Is it a bird's cry or a small animal living in a dense forest?

[Kosaku]
"...?"​

Suddenly, I stopped, as if I heard a human scream from somewhere, mixed with the sound of a strange beast. I slowly looked around while listening to the sounds around me. I could hear my heart beating rapidly.

[Kosaku]
"... Is it my imagination?"​

I muttered it to nobody in particular. I couldn't hear screams from anywhere. It's possible that I imagined this due to being in an unfamiliar jungle with my nerves on edge; I thought so and smiled to myself.

[Kosaku]
Somewhere deep in my heart, I'm scared, so I'll make mistakes like that.​

I muttered to myself and tried to walk again.

[Kosaku]
"Woman screaming? ... Where can I hear it from?"​

I listened again. The urgent sound seemed to come from the direction in which I was about to go.

[Kosaku]
"... Let's go."​

I advanced through the jungle to get closer to the source of intermittent screams. Occasionally stopping and checking the direction from which I could hear the voice, I proceeded to push through the dense forest. The screams were gradually becoming loud and clear, and step by step I was getting closer to the source. Sweating in the jungle gloom I was heading to the place where I could hear the voices.

[Kosaku]
"What's that?"​

Suddenly, the view behind the trees became brighter. There was a place where the dense jungle opened up letting the sunlight in. I couldn't tell from here, but the screams seemed to be coming from that location.

(merge here)

[Kosaku]
"Wh-whaaat?!"​

A tall shrub was blocking my way, and I pushed through it by breaking the branches.

29-swamp.png

[Monica]
"Somebody help me!"

[Kosaku]
"Mo-monica?!... And Ayano-san and Yumi-chan!"​

[Ayano]
"Ko-kosaku-kun?! You're alive!"

[Kosaku]
"... Everyone is safe!"​

[Yumi]
"Not everyone, Kosaku-san! ... Quick, help Monica!"

Ayano and Yumi were trying hard to pull Monica's arm, while she was stuck in a bottomless swamp.

[Kosaku]
"P-please wait, I'll help you!"​

I jumped out of the shrub, grabbed Monica's arm and started pulling her with full force.

[Kosaku]
"Monica... Hold me more firmly!"​

[Monica]
"Hurry, help me!"

Monica was already stuck deep in the swamp, and I tried to pull Monica up, straining my muscles.

[Kosaku]
"... Crap!"​

Mud tried to drag Monica's body back into the swamp, the girls would not be able to lift her out.

[Ayano]
"A little more, she's almost out!"

[Yumi]
"Try harder, Kosaku-san!"

[Kosaku]
"Shiiiit... It's not budging an inch!"​

The soil under my feet was damp and slippery, and I was starting to slide into the swamp.

[Kosaku]
"Crap... Oooooooooh!"​

... Zupo!
(more funny onomatopoeia)

With a sudden sound, Monica's body slipped out of the swamp. I held her in my arms, and I fell on my ass due to momentum.
(俺はMonicaの体を抱きかかえながら、勢い余って後ろに尻もちをついてしまう. - shywn, check out if the translation is close enough, the second part was painful to understand)

[Kosaku]
"Haa Haa Haa... F-finally."​
(haa is a sound of heavy breathing here)

[Monica]
"Thank you, Tosaku... Did everyone safely reach this island?"

Monica smiled happily while gasping for breath.

[Yumi]
"You're alive, Kosaku-san. I was thinking what if..."

30-flowers-yumi-scared.png

Yumi-chan dropped on the ground relieved and started crying. Ayano-san put arms around her shoulders to comfort her.

[Ayano]
"Don't cry, Yumi-chan... it's really nice that everyone is alive."

When she said so, Ayano-san's eyes also moistened.

[Kosaku]
"R-right... I'm glad all three of you are safe, too."​

I finally said that when my breath returned to me. Speaking of which, I used a lot of my strength while still being hungry, and I was still a little wobbly when I tried to get up.

[Kosaku]
"You think you're in the jungle, and suddenly it's a bottomless swamp."​

I looked again at where Monica was stuck before. The surface of the swamp was covered with dead branches and leaves fallen from the bushes, and it looked just like ordinary ground. It could easily be me instead of her. I felt a chill running down my spine at that thought.

[Kosaku]
"Really... I'm happy everyone is okay."​

I said that after everyone calmed down. If the professor was safe, too, Shiori-san would also be happy.

[Reiko]
"We were able to get together... but Kosaku-san, what are we going to do now?"

30-flowers-reiko.png

[Kosaku]
"Well.. in a place like that you don't know what danger is about."​

I said that while restlessly looking all around us. The dense jungle had an eerie atmosphere that made it seem as if anything could jump out at us at any moment.
(蒼としたジャングルは、いつ何が出てきてもおかしくないような不気味な雰囲気をたたえている. - shywn, this one's a pita, too)

[Kosaku]
"For the time being, let's return to the coast...Then I'll decide what to do."​

[Reiko]
"Okay... Let's do it."

With newly added Monica, Ayano and Yumi we went back to the beach again.

18-shore.png

When we returned to the coast, the sun shining high above us began to tilt slightly west, pouring lazy afternoon sunlight down on the beach.

[Kosaku]
"This means that everyone who was on the boat is now here, except the professor. So.. what do we do now?"​

Resting in the shade of a palm tree I looked at everyone. Except for professor Hazama, everyone was here. At present, his safety has not yet been confirmed, and all of the survivors, except me, were women. By necessity, I was in charge of the whole party. If I made a wrong decision, everyone here could follow the same fate.
(wow, so sexist, amirite? it could also be translated as "By necessity I have a duty of bringing everyone together.")

[Kosaku]
"... Let's check what do we have on us when everyone is ready. Monica, show me the contents of that backpack."​
(hehe, リュック - ryukku is backpack)

31-shore-monica.png

[Monica]
"OK... wait a moment."

Monica and others arrived on this island by a lifeboat and had emergency supplies on board, unlike Shiori-san, Reiko-san and me, who were suddenly thrown out into the sea. All of these emergency supplies were stored in a small backpack that Monica had.

[Monica]
"Um, first... Three cans of emergency canned crackers, three oil lighters, and three survival knives... A compass, flares, and a small radio, but it seems to have run out of batteries. The rest is just small things, an oil lamp... That's roughly it."
(oiru raita, sabaibaru naifu, konpasu, rajio, oiru ranpu, Monica being Monica I guess)
(と、こんな所かしら - didn't get why is she wondering that)

[Kosaku]
"Is that all? Is there anything else?"​

[Monica]
"... That's it. There's nothing more."

Although I didn't expect much, Monica's possessions were so few, that I was somewhat disappointed.

[Reiko]
"First of all, everyone is hungry. Shouldn't we look for food first?"

[Shiori]
"Well... I'm going to die if I don't eat something."

[Kosaku]
"Of course, that was my intention."​

It was six of us, and three cans of crackers weren't enough even for an evening meal.

[Kosaku]
"We must start looking for food right away, but there is still something else to do."​

So far, we have no idea where this island is or whether it's inhabited. Even in the worst case, we'll have to find somewhere to sleep safely.

[Ayano]
"If this island is uninhabited... what will happen to us?"

32-shore-ayano.png

[Kosaku]
"That is... Then we would have to live here, no way around it. We can't leave this island unless a boat passes nearby."​

[Yumi]
"No way, there are no houses here. What will we do?"

32-shore-ayano-yumi.png

[Kosaku]
"So, before it gets dark, we have to find a safe place to sleep. I don't know what dangers await us at night."​

[Yumi]

[Kosaku]
"It's already past lunch. We don't have much time. I think we ought to find some food and shelter before sunset."​

[Shiori]
"You don't know this place, I wonder if it's going to be easy?"

[Kosaku]
"Yeah, that's why I'm going to divide us into three pairs."​

[Monica]
"What do you mean?"

[Kosaku]
"Now, there are six people in total, including me. It's better to divide us into three pairs to do both of these tasks by sunset. It's more efficient than going all together, I think."​

[Monica]
"Yeah... I think that's better."

[Reiko]
"I agree. I'm used to walking around these places because of working as the professor's assistant."

[Kosaku]
"That's right, so let's start with me, Reiko-san and Monica."​

[Monica]
"Okay, so?"

[Kosaku]
"I and Reiko-san each go into the jungle and look for food and a place to shelter from the weather. Monica, you look along the shore."​

[Reiko]
"It's decided. All that's left is to figure out how the others will split up."

33-shore-reiko-monica.png

[Ayano]
"Yes, what should we do?"

[Kosaku]
"Right. We've got Ayano-san, Shiori-san and Yumi-chan left..."​

[Reiko]
"Who will Kosaku-san partner with?"

[Kosaku]
"Well then, I'll go with..."​

CHOICE

Shiori-san
Ayano-san
Yumi-chan

(this is the first real choice of the game and I'll stop this update on it)

Google Doc:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GcGRulKCZy3JjlV6H7PRHkgiktwNMqqqBaLF86fFxyk/edit?usp=sharing

New meta: colors + inlines + merged lines. I've had to rethink some of them because of repetition which looks bad when they're put together. Tell me what you think.

Last edited:

shywn

Savant
Is this a vote? If so, I'll cast a vote for Yumi.

Because them glasses.

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
Uh, no, not really. Should've specified that. But you will get a couple of Yumi scenes at the end of Day 1.

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
PART 03: DAY 1 - LOOKING FOR FOOD

How Ayano-chan and Kosaku-kun went looking for food and what mildly raunchy, exhausting, and yet weirdly mysterious, troubling events happened there, after which Ayano got a little sad.

I think I'm gonna start dropping some of these constant -sans when protag is thinking or narrating. They're always there and don't always look good in English. I'll leave the -kuns, though.

CHOICE

Shiori-san
Ayano-san
Yumi-chan

33-shore-reiko-monica.png

(Shiori-san is an obvious fake choice, so we'll start with that)

[Kosaku]
"... I'll take Shiori-san."​

[Monica]
"Tosaku, are you really going to take Shiori?"

[Reiko]
"... Don't you feel sorry for the blind Shiori-san walking through the jungle?"

[Kosaku]
"Yeah... That's right... Well then."​

CHOICE

Ayano
Yumi-chan

(i'll leave out Yumi for much later because this is one of the major choices for the happy ending)

[Kosaku]
"... I'll take Ayano with me."​

[Monica]
"You're partnering with Ayano, so I'll go with Shiori."

[Kosaku]
"Yes. It would be tough for Shiori-san to walk around the jungle."​

[Reiko]
"I'll go with Takanashi-san, then."

[Kosaku]
"Okay. If it's decided, we'll go look for food immediately. Monica, divide the knives and oil lighters."​

[Monica]
"OK... Two to Reiko and two for Tosaku."

[Kosaku]
"Let's call this beach a meeting place. If you find something, come back here."​

[Reiko]
"I understand."

[Kosaku]
"... Return to this place by the end of the day even if you don't find anything."​

[Monica]
"OK, guys, good luck to you all."

They all started moving.

[Kosaku]
"Okay... Let's go, too, Ayano."​

[Ayano]
"Yes... Let's do our best."

32-shore-ayano.png

I entered the dark jungle again with Ayano next to me. We walked on, leaving the marks so that we wouldn't get lost. All around me I saw the vibrant colorful poisonous flowers, unique to the humid climate of the tropics and scattered in the bushes. Occasionally, I heard the sounds of an unknown animal from behind them that made me tense unconsciously. We pushed further into the depths, breaking through the tangled ivy.

As we walked, the gloomy jungle went on and on. Despite carefully looking around, we haven't yet managed to find food.

34-flowers-ayano.png

[Ayano]
"*sigh* We've walked so far and still nothing?"

Ayano muttered disappointed, restlessly surveying the vicinity.

[Ayano]
"It would be great to have a fruit tree somewhere."

[Kosaku]
"Yeah, totally. There are so many plants, some of them should have fruit."​

Ayano's white neck had beads of sweat on it, and I realized that my body was also soaked. I was hungry and my head was a little hazy, and this jungle continued no matter where we went. I even remembered the illusion that I was going around in circles from earlier.

[Kosaku]
"Dammit... This jungle, how far does it go?"​

[Ayano]
"Yeah. I don't think we are but I feel like we're walking around in circles."

[Kosaku]
"Really? I just had the same thought."​

In case we got lost I've been leaving large marks with a pebble on the tree trunks... But did we get lost after all?

[Kosaku]
...​

[Ayano]
"You know, Kosaku-kun... If you climb on a tree, you can see the surroundings, right?"

[Kosaku]
"... Huh?"​

[Ayano]
"Climb a tree and look around, so that you can see what the island looks like and how long this jungle goes on."

[Ayano]
"If it works... maybe you could see a building where someone lives."

Ayano's eyes were shining.

[Kosaku]
"That's right. If I climb on a tree, I might be able to see the whole island."​

CHOICE

木の上に登ってみる - Try climbing a tree
危険だからやめておく - Don't do it because it's dangerous

(i'll do both here)

CHOICE 1

[Kosaku]
"Okay, maybe you're right. I'll climb on a tree."​

I looked around and found a tree that was suitable for climbing. The ivy was entangled around its trunk, making it easier to climb.

[Kosaku]
"I'm going to take a look at it. It's dangerous, so please wait below."​

Grabbing ivy with my hand, I began to climb the tree carefully choosing my footing. I haven't climbed a tree in years, not since I was a child. I was moving towards the top of the tree, using the bumps and entangled ivy as a foothold.

I kept on climbing, mindlessly moving my limbs. When I finally reached the halfway point, my arms began to feel numb.

[Kosaku]
"*breathing heavily* It's, hah, it's a pretty tall tree."​

I found a foothold and, holding on to the tree, I decided to rest a little while. Thinking back, climbing a tree on a hungry stomach was not a very good idea.

[Ayano]
"Koh-kosaku-kun. Give me a little more space to rest."

[Kosaku]
"Whu?... Ah!"​

Looking down, I saw Ayano clinging to the tree, she was just below my feet.

[Kosaku]
"Ah-Ayano?... Why did you climb, too? ... Y-you should climb down because it's dangerous."​

[Ayano]
"It's okay, I've always been good at climbing trees... Could you hurry with making room for me?"

She climbed fast while talking, and I had no choice but to move and make room for her to rest.

[Ayano]
"... Phew, it's taller than I thought."

[Kosaku]
"What are you talking about? It's dangerous, you can fall down."​

[Ayano]
"I've been watching from below, but I think I'm a better climber than you are, Kosaku-kun."

Ayano said that and smiled, she wasn't even out of breath from the climb.

[Ayano]
"If we keep resting here, the sun will fall before we find food. Let's move on?"

[Kosaku]
"Yeah, I get it. I don't know if I fall."​

Again I climbed the tree trunk, aiming for the top.

CHOICE 2
[Kosaku]
"No, it's dangerous to climb a tree... What if I fall and get injured?"​

I couldn't afford that now, and if I fell down and got hurt, it was going to be hard. I certainly wanted to see the island, but I was hesitant to take that much risk.

[Ayano]
"It's fine, this is a thick tree with strong branches."

[Kosaku]
...​

[Ayano]
"And it's easy to climb because ivy is entangled with it."

[Kosaku]
"Well... No, but..."​

I looked up at the thick tree trunk beside me, and it would be 10m from here to the top.

[Kosaku]
"It's really dangerous, let's stop."​

[Ayano]
"Yeah... that's okay. Then I'll climb alone and look around."

[Kosaku]
"... Huh?"​

Ayano said that, grabbed the side of a tree trunk and began to climb. Using the ivy tangled in the trees, she advanced gracefully.

[Kosaku]
"Ah-Ayano... You better get down because it's dangerous."​

39-ayano-climb.png

[Ayano]
"Hey, hey. I've always been good at climbing trees."

Ayano smiled innocently like a child. She seemed to be a good climber, for sure and was up a few meters in no time.

[Kosaku]
"... I don't know if I'll fall."​

[Ayano]
"Don't say that, Kosaku, please climb up, too. It's a bit of a climb, but the view is so different, right?"

[Kosaku]
"Ugh... Fine, I'll do it."​

Maybe it's not a good idea to let Ayano climb up the tree and let me wait for her down below. I had no choice but to follow her. Grabbing ivy with my hand, I began to climb the tree carefully choosing my footing. I haven't done this in years, not since I was a child. I proceeded upwards using the bumps and entangled ivy as a foothold.

Straining my limbs I kept climbing until my arms were numb when I reached half of the tree's height.

[Kosaku]
"*breathing heavily* It's, hah, it's a pretty tall tree."​

Come to think of it, climbing a tree on an empty stomach is hard work... But I guess I can't go down now. I found a scaffold and held on to a tree, looking up from a comfortable position. I'd managed to catch up to Ayano. Her round hips were swaying in front of me, but I couldn't find any time to feel anything.

40-pantsu.png

(幸せ‥‥‥)

[Ayano]
"*breathing heavily* The, oh, the top is farther than I thought."

As expected, Ayano was not as cheerful now and was out of breath.

[Kosaku]
"We're almost there, Ayano, let's go all the way up!"​

[Ayano]
"Yeah, a little more."

We started to climb the tree again, step by step, searching for handholds and footholds.

(merge into one)

Sweating all over I desperately climbed the tree, with the top almost in sight.

[Kosaku]
"*heavily panting* Oh, we're finally there."​

The top of the tree had many branches and spreads. I sat down on one of them to look around.

35-island.png

[Ayano]
"Wow... You can see the surroundings well from here."

A deep green jungle was spread all around us with the blue sea and sky glittering around it. The island wasn't big, about 10km in diameter, and it was in the shape of a distorted oval. It was probably made by the upheaval of a volcano originally. Now a mountain with a gentle peak rose up in the center, emitting a faint white smoke. Apart from the central hillside, I didn't find any open places, with most of the island being covered in jungle.

[Kosaku]
"Any signs of habitation... No, I can't see it."​

As I looked around, I muttered to myself. As far as the eye could see from here, there was no sign of human beings anywhere. Was this island that we washed up on completely uninhabited?

[Ayano]
"Yeah... I thought it might be."

Ayano also uttered a disappointed sigh.

Looking back, I could see the sea very close. We seemed to have made it pretty far into the jungle, but it turned out we were still only a little away from the shore.

[Ayano]
"We've only gone this far."

[Kosaku]
"That's right... I thought we went a lot deeper."​

In the meantime, we couldn't waste any time even if there were no signs of life. If we didn't have enough food and shelter soon, all that was waiting for us was certain death.

[Kosaku]
"It can't be helped. Let's get down and go further."​

[Ayano]
"All right, we need to find food quickly."

Once again I looked around to check the topography of the island. There was a place in the deep green jungle where birds were flying above in the sky.

[Kosaku]
"Let's go where that flock of birds is flying around, maybe there's a lot of small animal feeding grounds."​

[Ayano]
"Okay. Let's go."

We climbed down the tree fast and we headed deeper into the jungle again. It continued endlessly, with us going further and further looking for food, half-conscious because of the heat and humidity. As we went on, the trees became denser. Stepping over the intricate roots beneath our feet we went deeper and deeper into the woods.

[Kosaku]
"...?"​

36-jungle-path.png

As I walked through the base of the mangrove tree, I noticed something strange. There was one area where the bushes had been crushed down as if trampled. When I looked carefully this part was elongated like a path, disappearing deep into the mangrove wood. It was apparently an animal trail.

[Ayano]
"What's wrong, Kosaku?"

As I stopped and looked around, Ayano asked me quizzically.

[Kosaku]
"Here... There's an animal trail."​

37-path-ayano.png

[Ayano]
"Animal trail?"
(google's first attempt to translate this was "Pokemon Road?")

[Kosaku]
"It's the route that wild animals use for a certain period. In most cases, it goes to the feeding grounds of those animals."​

[Ayano]
"Wow, Kosaku, you are surprisingly knowledgeable."

[Kosaku]
"There's nothing surprising. It's..."​

[Ayano]
"... But what exactly is this animal?"

[Kosaku]
"Right... I think it's a pretty large one, given the width of the path."​

The width of the path with the trampled bushes was just wide enough for one person to walk, and there was no doubt that pretty large animals lived in this jungle. I looked carefully at the squashed area, but I couldn't find any apparent footprints.

[Kosaku]
"... If only they'd left a footprint or two, I would know who left them."​

[Ayano]
"No way... You don't think there are tigers or lions, right?"

Ayano murmured anxiously and looked around, and while there were probably no tigers here, there was a good chance that this island had carnivorous animals.

[Kosaku]
"No, I don't think there are tigers on the island, but I think it's good to know that there are animals of that size."​

[Ayano]
"I don't like it... What exactly is it?"

[Kosaku]
"Well, if you take a closer look at this path, you may find out what it is..."​

I looked up and saw the light shining through the trees.

[Kosaku]
"I'm sorry... but we don't have time for that right now. We have to go a little further and look for food."​

[Ayano]
"Yeah, but it's kind of creepy... Kosaku-kun, let's hurry and move on."

Ayano shivered as if she was frightened. It could certainly be dangerous to stay here.

[Kosaku]
"Yeah... Let's get on with it."​

As we crossed the animal path, we went further into the jungle. The sunlight shining through the trees had become slightly reddish, indicating that the sun would soon set. The sounds of the animals we heard around us seemed to gradually increase in number and volume. Soon the sun would settle down... we must have gone a considerable distance.

[Kosaku]
"We should already be in the vicinity of the place we saw from the top of the tree."​

[Ayano]
"... Can't find anything?"

The area was still surrounded by dense jungle. However, I often saw colorful tropical flowers around us.

[Ayano]
"Kosaku-kun... Do you smell something sweet?"

[Kosaku]
"A sweet smell?... Not the scent of blooming flowers?"​

When Ayano told me, I've tried to smell what she was talking about.

[Kosaku]
...​

No doubt, there was a sweet scent different from the scent of flowers. It was an appetizing smell reminiscent of sweet fruit.

[Kosaku]
"Sure, something certainly smells like fruit. I wonder if some are growing nearby? ... Let's take a look around."​

I focused my attention on my sense of smell and started walking in the direction it was coming from.

[Ayano]
"Hey, there!... Look at that, Kosaku!"

Ayano, who was standing and looking around with me, suddenly shouted and pointed to the other side of the bushes.

[Kosaku]
"Ah... What's that?!"​

38-fruit.png

Fruits were growing in the direction she pointed, and the sweet scent that had drifted to us earlier seemed to emanate from that location.

[Kosaku]
"F-fruit... I can't believe there's so much of it."​

Trees with a variety of colorful fruits were growing in large clusters there. We were in the midst of a dimly lit jungle, but it was as though they were shining brightly at us with their vivid colors.

[Ayano]
"Wow... how many kinds are there?"

We stood there for a while, looking at the scene as if we had lost our minds.

[Ayano]
"... We don't have to worry about food for now."

[Kosaku]
"No... We don't know if they're edible yet, do we? I don't know, maybe some are poisonous... I'll try eating little bits of them."​

[Ayano]
"... Is it okay?"

[Kosaku]
"If I don't like it, I'll spit it out right away."​

[Ayano]
"Yeah, I understand... Which one will you try first?"

[Kosaku]
"Hmm, right..."​

CHOICE

キーウィに似た果実 - Similar to kiwi
パイナップルもどき - Looking like pineapple
ドリアンみたいな果実 - Looking like durian
あけびのような果実 - Similar to akebi

(this one is just one by one until all are exhausted)

CHOICE 1 - Kiwi

[Kosaku]
"Okay, I'll try this one first."​

I picked one of the fruits that looked like kiwi.

[Ayano]
"It resembles kiwi somewhat... But it has a bit of an odd shape, isn't it?"

[Kosaku]
"Right... It's like putting two fruits together and attaching them. I've never seen fruit like this before, have you?"​

[Ayano]
"... Is it really safe to eat?"

[Kosaku]
"Well, I don't know... But I'll try it anyway."​

Peeling the fruit revealed a milky white core, and I tried it a little bit.

[Kosaku]
...​

[Ayano]
"... How is it?"

[Kosaku]
"... Bi-bi-bitter!"​

As soon as I took a bite, a strong astringent taste spread in my mouth. It was as if my sense of taste numbed all at once.

[Kosaku]
"No good... This isn't very edible."​

I spit out the pulp in my mouth and threw the fruit into the bush.

[Ayano]
"Which one do you want to eat next, Kosaku?"

[Kosaku]
"... Right."​

CHOICE 2 - Painappuru

[Kosaku]
"Yes, let's try this one next."​

I picked a pineapple-like fruit.

[Ayano]
"It looks like a pineapple, but it's not, is it?"

[Kosaku]
"A light purple pineapple. It's also longer than the real one, right? Hmm... Maybe it's a subspecies or something? I'll try it anyway."​

I peeled the pineapple and put a little bit of it in my mouth.

[Kosaku]
...​

[Ayano]
"So?... Is it edible?"

[Kosaku]
"Wh-what?! So h-h-hot!"​

The orange-colored pulp seemed to contain an intensely spicy ingredient, and I spat out the flesh that I've bitten.

[Kosaku]
"No, no, no... I can't eat this stuff."​

I threw out the fruit.

[Ayano]

[Kosaku]
"... Right."​

CHOICE 3 - Durian

[Kosaku]
"... What does this taste like?"​

The fruit which resembled a durian had a sweet scent, better than the real one.

[Kosaku]
"Something doesn't feel right, does it? Isn't durian the fruit that smells bad and tastes good?"​

[Ayano]
"If you don't want to eat it, shall I try it myself?"

[Kosaku]
"No, it's okay. What if it's poison or something?"​

I peeled the fruit and tried a bit of it.

[Kosaku]
...​

[Ayano]
"How does it taste?... Do you think you can eat it?"

[Kosaku]
"... Blech!"​

[Ayano]
"Wh-what's wrong?.. Are you all right, Kosaku-kun!?"

I spat out the fruit that I've put in my mouth. It tasted like a dead fish. I felt nauseous, so I curved my back and crouched down on the ground.

[Ayano]
"Hang in there, Kosaku-kun!"

[Kosaku]
"*coughs*"​
(written literally as gehogeho)

[Ayano]
"Oh, what should I do?... Is it really poisonous?"

[Kosaku]
"No... I'm... I'm fine."​

I said that as Ayano rubbed my back. There was still a fishy aftertaste in my mouth.

[Kosaku]
"This one tastes terrible... It's not something you can eat."​

I finally got up and tossed the fruit I was holding into the bushes.

[Ayano]

[Kosaku]
"... Right."​

CHOICE 4 - Akebi

Akebi is this thing:
japanese-fruit-akebi-4.jpg
looks alien af is you ask me

Akebia-quinata-FL1.jpg
these are its flowers

Random baka gaijin taste quote: "The inner fleshy part connected to the seeds ended up being quite sweet and fragrant. But, the seeds, flesh and skin were very bitter and left a bad taste. Best to leave it to sit and get a bit riper than unripe."

[Kosaku]
"This is the only thing left. Let's try it."​

I picked up a reddish-black fruit that resembled an akebi. Its center was split vertically with moist pink flesh protruding from inside and smelling like something rotten.

[Ayano]
"What a smell! Kosaku-kun, are you really going to eat it?"

Ayano said that frowning. It was true that it didn't smell very good, but if you thought of it like a durian, the inside could be delicious.

[Kosaku]
"It's a test anyway. I'll try it."​

The strange smell of the fruit, which resembled Akebi, made me hesitate to put it into my mouth.

[Kosaku]
...​

[Ayano]
"Well?... Can you eat it?"

[Kosaku]
"Yup... This... this is..."​

[Ayano]
"What's wrong... Kosaku-kun, are you okay?"

The juice spread from the flesh to the inside of my mouth. The taste was so sour that it almost numbed my taste buds.

[Kosaku]
"It's very sour, but not to the extent that you can't eat it."​

For now, we could eat this fruit, but if we didn't do something about this acidity, we wouldn't be eating much.

[Kosaku]
"Is it the last one?"​

[Ayano]
"Yeah, it seems like there's nothing else."

[Kosaku]
"All right... So I've tried all of them. I guess the only thing you can really eat is this akebi-like thing."​

[Ayano]
"But I'm glad we've found something to eat anyway. I can't wait to bring it to the others so that we can all eat it."

[Kosaku]
"Yes, let's do that."​

Ayano and I plucked as many fruits from the tree as we could get our hands on, and went on our way home. With both hands full of fruits, we turned back the way we had come from. It's been a long time since we've left everyone.

Before we knew it, the jungle was shrouded in darkness, adding to its eeriness. We hurried to the shore as fast as we could, trying not to drop the fruit we were carrying.

[Kosaku]
"...?"​

41-path-ayano-fruit.png

[Ayano]
"What's the matter, Kosaku-kun?"

I stopped walking and turned my attention to everything around me.

[Kosaku]
...​

Now, it seemed like I heard a scream from somewhere.

[Kosaku]
"... Did you hear the scream just now?"​

[Ayano]
"No. Don't say weird things... I didn't hear anything."

[Kosaku]
"I don't know... I think I heard a scream."​

CHOICE

気のせいだろう - Probably imagined it
耳を澄ませてみる - Try to listen

(i don't think it matters and i'm not sure what it's all about)

(the second choice just adds these lines)

[Kosaku]
...​

I listened again to the sounds around me... But there was nothing audible in the darkness of the jungle.

(and the first one starts right here)

[Kosaku]
"... Did I imagine that... I'm not sure..."​

I was just tired, probably. I couldn't wait to find a place to rest.

I changed my mind and apologized to Ayano.

[Kosaku]
"Sorry... I guess I was mistaken. Let's get back to the guys."​

[Ayano]
"Yeah... Everyone is worried."

A few more steps and we should be able to reach the coast where we came from. I cradled my arms around the fruits and started to walk again.

[Ayano]
"... Ko-kosaku."

[Kosaku]
"...?"​

Ayano was standing there with her face frozen.

[Ayano]
"Wh-what, what the hell is that?"

Ayano clenched her jaw, speaking in a hushed voice.

[Kosaku]
"Wha-what do you mean?"​

42-path-slime.png

Looking at the direction she pointed at, I gasped involuntarily. The animal trail was vaguely glowing in some places.

[Ayano]
"What is that?... It's all glowing and creepy."

[Kosaku]
"I don't know... Let's check it out for a little bit."​

When I got closer, I saw a mucus-like substance that glowed in a light purple color and was tangled in the trampled bushes. The substance was splattered in blots along the animal trail here and there in the dark jungle, gleaming mysteriously.

[Kosaku]
"What the hell... is this?"​

CHOICE

触れてみる - Try to touch
何もしない - Do nothing

(same thing here, the first choice gives some additional lines)

I nervously reached out and gently touched the object with my fingertips.

Piku!

[Kosaku]
"Whoa... D-did it move?"​

[Ayano]
".. Ko-kosaku!"

The mucus swelled like a living creature and tried to entwine itself around my finger.

[Kosaku]
"This thing... Is, is it alive?"​

When I hurriedly retracted my fingertips, it stopped moving as if nothing had happened.

[Ayano]
"Dis-disgusting... Kosaku, are you okay?"

[Kosaku]
"... Yeeeah..."​

(the first one goes on from here)

There was a faint, inexplicable odor in the air.

41-path-ayano-fruit.png

[Ayano]
"This bad smell... What exactly is this?"

[Kosaku]
"I don't know. It seems to be along the animal path. You think that the beast that was passing along this path returned?"​

[Ayano]
"What kind of animal leaves such spooky stuff?"

[Kosaku]
"... W-well..."​

Ayano made a good point. I wondered what kind of animal would leave such a trail. A strange chill shot through me and sent shivers down my spine.

[Ayano]
"It's kind of creepy, Kosaku-kun. Let's just go back to the others."

As she said this, Ayano jerked her shoulders and looked around. Certainly, it could be dangerous to stay here.

[Kosaku]
"You're right, let's get out of here."​

Ayano and I left the place as if frightened by something. We crossed the animal trail and made a quick getaway, and then went back to the beach where everyone else was waiting.

With both hands full of fruit and exhausted, we finally made it back to the beach where we were supposed to meet. The midsummer sun that had been shining so bright was already tilted to the west, and the area was bathed in gleaming dusk sunlight.

43-shore-dusk.png

[Ayano]
"Woah... Kosaku-kun, look how beautiful that is..."

Walking around in the dark jungle for almost half a day seemed like a nightmare... It was a very reassuring sight for us.

[Kosaku]
"... If you look at the ocean like this, it's as if you were pretending you got shipwrecked."​

[Ayano]
"True... It's as if today's events were a dream."

We forgot about going back to the meeting place and just stood there watching the beautiful blazing sunset for a while.

[Kosaku]
...​

[Ayano]
"... Hey... Kosaku..."

[Kosaku]
"... Yeah?"​

[Ayano]
"I wonder what's going to happen to us... in the future?"

CHOICE

そんな事分からない - I don't know
この島で暮らすしかない - We'll have to live on this island

CHOICE 1

[Kosaku]
"I don't know... I don't know what you're talking about."​

[Ayano]
"Well... Right... Even if I asked you about it, you wouldn't know."

Ayano sighed loudly sounding dejected.

[Kosaku]
"Well... We'll have to live on this island somehow, right?"​

[Ayano]
"Living here for the rest of our lives... until the day we die?"

CHOICE 2

[Kosaku]
"Well... we'll just have to make do and live on this island somehow, won't we?"​

[Ayano]
"No way...Are we going to have to live here for the rest of our lives? Until the day I die... Here?"

(merge here)

[Kosaku]
"No way. If a ship passes nearby, we'll be rescued."​

[Ayano]
"I don't know when that's going to happen..."

[Kosaku]
"Don't worry about it too much... the ship will be here soon."​

[Ayano]
"... What if... What if the ship doesn't arrive?"

CHOICE

あきらめる - Give up
船を造ろう - Let's build a ship

CHOICE 1

[Kosaku]
"Then... I guess we'll just have to brace ourselves and live on this island."​

[Ayano]
"... Yeah, well... I know."

[Kosaku]
"... It's okay... And now that we've found some food, I think we can manage. Look, don't be so glum about it... It's not like you, Ayano-san. Let's cheer up, okay?"​

[Ayano]
"Yeah... Well, I'll take your word for it, Kosaku. I'm sorry... This view makes me feel like I'm pretending about being shipwrecked."

[Kosaku]
"... Yup."​

CHOICE 2

[Kosaku]
"Then we'll gather the materials and built a boat."​

[Ayano]
"I don't think it's going to be that easy..."

[Kosaku]
"I think we could make a raft out of jungle wood."​

[Ayano]
"How do you cut down a jungle tree?"

[Kosaku]
"W-well... We'll find a way."​

[Ayano]
"Actually, I don't think we'd get to land that easily if we went to sea. It's the same as dying."

[Kosaku]
...​

[Ayano]
"*sigh*... I guess we'll just have to live here."

(poor Ayano-chan. and on this weepy note we'll end this update)

Google Doc:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1n_SzmzfvWTC5TaA3_KXzZOVEtgYtRKKO5U4_HqEBR64/edit?usp=sharing

.TXT:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1M1sKMuuQcAyMm6MzkYyQyDvYHZhdEKTR

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom