Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN 2 review?

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
The year in review article indicates that VD has at least already started playing the game, we will get a codex review of this "gem" soon?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I'm in the middle of the second act now. So far, I'm kinda disappointed and the game is kinda crap not worth replaying. To be more specific, when I think of trying a different character, I think of all the combat and those maze-like areas (leading to caves and dungeons) and lose the interest.

It's better than NWN1, and it's better than KOTOR 2, but it's light years away from the quality of BG2 and especially Planescape. I think that suibhne is working on a review, so give him a week or two. If someone cares about my opinion, I may post some impressions when I finish the game.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I think your impressions in the 'year in review' article pretty much sums up your thoughts. Don't need to beat the dead horse. LOL We do enough of that around here. Heh.

I was very disapointed with NWN 2, forced characters? Linear plot? LAME plot? No minigun? The latter I can live with but the rest really turned me off. I couldn't even make it to Neverwinter City because it seemed so dull to me, like a game for whiney escapists who sit home all day in their own clutter and think Galadriel of Fangorn is sooo beautiful.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Btw, Volly, I didn't participate in the NWN2 discussions when it was released, so I missed quite a lot. Did you, by any chance, post your own impressions?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Of course, that thread doesn't tell the whole story... :shock:

So, does that mean I have to make my own spoiler alert apart from yours which is at the very beggining of your thread?

EDIT: You are an ungrateful little fuck, you know that? I did some work for you and this is how I get treated? [grunts] fucking stupid Neverwinter Nights Fanboy pathetic worm. [/grunts]

Volourn

Pretty Princess
I'm a dumbfuck... what does a prick like you expect?

Gambler

Augur
and it's better than KOTOR 2
You mean, aside from being more linear, having nonsense storyline, shitty interface and unnecessarily complex RPG system?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I think at the very least KOTOR2 has better writing. Everything else seems comparable to NWN2.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
No. NWN2 is better than KOTOR2 in every way except story perhaps. Writing in NWN2 outside of story (character wise for example) is much better; NWN2 > KOTOR2.

Period. End of line. Game over.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I'm sorry, Volly, could you repeat that? English isn't my first language, and I don't think I understood. Thanks.

Gambler

Augur
Elhoim said:
It´s a D&D game. Do you want them to dumb down the original rules for you?
No, I want them to make a game that fully utilizes all the features of its RPG system, whatever it is. Do you like superficial skills and feats?

OsirisGod

Liturgist
I'm playing it right now , can't say its good but i sort of enjoy it since i got no real alternative , but sometimes i wish i could kill my party members or the guy that coded the AI since i can't really play tactical unless i put everryone in pupet mode , is there a feature like dog mode where my comrades will follow me only but not engage in combat unless told to ?

Monica21

Scholar
I like NWN2. I don't mind companions being forced on you, and the story is fine. I don't know D&D rules aside from CRPGs, so I don't know how it's "supposed" to work and what's isn't carried over.

The AI does need some serious work, and party members need to be more than combat accessories. I should be able to use the character with the highest appraisal skill to trade with merchants, but I can't. Kinda defeats the purpose of having a party, except in combat.

Also, the overriding factor in my like vs. dislike of the game is that there really isn't much else to play right now, and it's better than NWN1.

Monica21 said:
I should be able to use the character with the highest appraisal skill to trade with merchants, but I can't. Kinda defeats the purpose of having a party, except in combat.

A shining example of this was Khelgar's create armour/weapon skills. They were high, so I should have been able to use him to upgrade the Construct and make items... but no. :\

Fez

Erudite
Monica21 said:
Also, the overriding factor in my like vs. dislike of the game is that there really isn't much else to play right now, and it's better than NWN1.

NWN2, a winner by default. They must be so proud.

Voss

Erudite
Monica21 said:
I like NWN2. I don't mind companions being forced on you, and the story is fine. I don't know D&D rules aside from CRPGs, so I don't know how it's "supposed" to work and what's isn't carried over.

Well, if you aren't going to apply any sort of standards to your judgement, whats the point of making one?

Monica21

Scholar
Voss said:
Monica21 said:

Well, if you aren't going to apply any sort of standards to your judgement, whats the point of making one?
I'm not sure what your point is. Is it about the rules, or something else? I've never played D&D aside from CRPGs, so my only standard there is how things work in-game. They seem to work just fine. As for my judgment, I never claimed it was anything more than personal opinion. I have fun playing it, i like the party member interaction for the most part, and the storyline is reasonably well-done. I didn't know I had to have a set of standards to express an opinion.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"it's better than NWN1."

So... your enjoyment of the game comes from the fact you 'think' it's better than a 5 year old game. L0LLERZ!

Oblivion is an AWESOME game because it's better than POR2!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Monica21

Scholar
Volourn said:
"it's better than NWN1."

So... your enjoyment of the game comes from the fact you 'think' it's better than a 5 year old game. L0LLERZ!

Oblivion is an AWESOME game because it's better than POR2!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Your post makes no sense. Do you think I said it's better because it's newer?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom