Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN like persistent world turnbased combat?

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Divergent from the pathfinder thread.

I don't think you can mix persistent worlds and turn-based combat. A big city and suddenly somebody starts a fight in... the whole place changes from RT to TB.

There are a couple of ways around this that would facilitate TB in a persistent world environment that I've given thought to:

1. When combat starts turnbased is enforced within a defined radius. Non-involved parties can leave the area of effect easily so long as they do not engage with involved parties. The rest of the world continue in real time. In an enforced roleplay world there's a couple of problems with groups metagaming PvP combat and coming to the assistance of their allies swiftly when in turnbased mode only a few seconds have passed, yet I think that's fairly minour and is a metagaming issue for the DMs to handle. In order to buff yourself up for combat you'd need to lock yourself into the turnbased combat timestream and so take an appropriately long amount of time to intervene with combat.
  2. Have small areas like NWN, so when combat is initiated only those in the area are affected, very similar to the above, which assumes a larger area in general like the previously mentioned city example.
Regarding handling combat once its been initiated, I like the idea of environment creatures having simultaneous movement like in ToEE. Each player can plan their character's actions out and lock it in, they'll have six seconds to change their decision once it comes to their turn in the initiative order in case the situation has changed, if they don't change their decision quick enough then their character will do the predefined decision they'd locked in previously and it'll be the next person's turn.

You do encounter some problems when you're dealing with ten or more players in the same area, yet the time interval I think significantly speeds up the game without necessarily sacrificing tactical mobility.

In order to speed up combat resolution combat would necessarily need to be more deadly than your standard-faire MMORPG, at low levels of D20 it works well. Higher levels become more dicey.

Anyone see any problems with how this would work?

J1M

Arcane
The only "problem" with turn-based combat is getting publisher funding for it.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Isn't the Shadowrun MMO going to have turn based combat?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom