Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nwn2 - Mods wanted

Nedrah

Erudite
Hay guys,

I recently played through NW2:Motb again. Right now I'm looking for the best Mods the NWN2 community has to offer. Focus should be on interesting story/characters/game world, although well designed dungeon crawling is acceptable, too. So, of all those hundreds (thousands) of mods out there, which ones should not be missed?

Nedrah

Erudite
Thanks crispy, I've had my eyes on that one, actually. "Pool of Radiance Remastered" just sounds pretty over-ambitious to me, but given your recommendation, I'll definitely check it out. Actually, I'm downloading it as we type. Any other great mods? Longer = better - I just can't really get into my game or character if it's all over after 3 hours.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
It was an ambitious project, but he pulled it off quite well. Wayne does a good job of balancing the storyline which is simple yet compelling (being that it's a remake, of course) versus the combat as I mentioned, versus the area layouts and loot distribution, etc.

It just gave me a good, Old School feeling and was quite difficult, with no hand-holding, and tested my D&D knowledge as well as my tactical skills.

The ending's fairly epic, too.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Harp & Chrysanthemum Very well done and polished mood. Good story and fighting all around.

Dark Avenger 2 though play both 1 and 2. Lot's of C&C, roleplaying, set up your character. It is very well done.

The Conan series. I at first d/l these just to see if they were any good. The 1st mod is actually ok, and the second one just get's better. I was actually surprised I liked it.

Moonshadows Chapter 1 Another very well polished and good story and is ENTIRELY Single Player - There are No companions. For that reason alone I loved it.

Ravenloft: Dreamscape I LOVE the Ravenloft setting and I think they did a good job putting out a fairly well polished mod set in this setting.

Korgan

Arbiter
Looks like that's all there is. In two years. Either the toolset's fucked up or the community likes NWN1 better. Maybe there are some good PWs out there?

Starwars

Arcane
The quality of NWN1s offerings wasn't much better after about 2 years into its lifespan, though there was certainly more stuff. The best is still to come for NWN2.

I'd second Jaesuns recommendations, except for the Ravenloft mod which didn't really grab me (though I didn't play for long either). I especially liked Harp & Crysanthemum and the Conan mods.

Goblins of the Delembyir Route is an excellent low level D&D adventure. Combat-heavy, but with a nice dose of skill use as well. Enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would actually.

Also, might want to play Subtlety of Thay. The second chapter has just entered beta, and according to the author it's pretty big (around 20 hours). So with Chapter 1 included, should be a good 30 hours of playing.

Nighthowls in Nestlehaven is a fun mod as well, with hard combat. I am told it's being "fixed" a bit by a community members, fixing spelling errors and so on so it might be worth waiting for that.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Korgan said:
Looks like that's all there is. In two years. Either the toolset's fucked up or the community likes NWN1 better. Maybe there are some good PWs out there?
I believe nwn1 was first game with good toolset in box. It's not novel in nwn2, so it's less popular. Combine it with slower work, harder to get into etc.

Subtlety of Thay, Nestlehaven and Conan are the only mods I've really enjoyed so far, though I haven't been paying much attention.

By the by, have there been any worthwhile NWN mods since NWN2's release?

Starwars

Arcane
The one NWN1 mod on my playlist is the recently released sequel to Almraiven (best NWN 1 mod) called Shadewood. Other than that, there hasn't been anything that has interested me for NWN1 in a long time.

A Dance With Rogues LP would be hilarious.

Oh, cool, Shadewood is out? Almraiven was great, though I had my doubts when I saw the premise for the sequel... hope it hasn't gotten all generic on us.

As for Dance With Rogues, urgh. The first part was acceptable and unintentionally hilarious, but the second part was just bad.

Imbecile

Arbiter
Cool, I'm about just about done with NWN2, and about to tackle MOTB - so I'll look forward to some of these after. If MOTB is as good as its cracked up to be (hopefully the companions are better) then these mods will have a lot to live up to!

Pastel

Scholar
Some guy is making a module after a book. I have no clue what it's about but it might actually be good.

Also I've tried that Nighthowls mod. The first quest I ran into was about a wife who is waiting outside the door of her house, and her husband is inside with another woman. She tells me to break down the door and go talk to him myself, for some reason. I go inside and the man tells me to kill his wife.
I found the whole thing fucking stupid so I deleted it.

buccaroobonzai

Scholar
More good NWN 1 mods in addition to Almraiven:

Honor Amongst Thieves (in fact as good of an idea and missions as the best CRPGs to date)

Hex Coda (If you like Eberron, this is the mod for you. A setting where magic is substituted for technology in a modern world equivalent. There is also a good implementation of time travel).

Tales of Arterra 1 & 2 (think BG2)

Midwinter, Midsummer Knights Dream (think BG2 again)

zodden

Scholar
Nedrah said:
Hay guys,

I recently played through NW2:Motb again. Right now I'm looking for the best Mods the NWN2 community has to offer. Focus should be on interesting story/characters/game world, although well designed dungeon crawling is acceptable, too. So, of all those hundreds (thousands) of mods out there, which ones should not be missed?

I also loved Pool of Radiance remastered. Thought it was a great overall mod.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
zodden said:
Nedrah said:
Hay guys,
I also loved Pool of Radiance remastered. Thought it was a great overall mod.

I personally thought it was un-polished but an OK mod. I did however not finish it, it was just... boring.

Why this received a GOLD award makes me wonder...

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Come now, Bishop Romance mod was the highest rated module for NWN2.

Actually Lute Hero is #1 (It is actually pretty cool). But WHY the Bishop Romance mod is #2, is ... is... I just give up.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Jaesun said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Come now, Bishop Romance mod was the highest rated module for NWN2.

Actually Lute Hero is #1 (It is actually pretty cool). But WHY the Bishop Romance mod is #2, is ... is... I just give up.
Oh, something has taken Bishop's place.

Also, later today we'll have the Bishop flirt special on my LP.

Kogorn

Novice
If a plugin is set for NWN2 Version 1.11 and you have say, 1.13, does that mean it won't work at all?

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
No, you'll be depressed that you're playing a mod made for an ancient version of the game. I don't know, I just felt like I had to write something else other than "yes".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom