Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Oblivion skill list?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Drakron, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Tintin Arbiter

Tintin
    Probably because a dagger and a sword are closer to each other than a dagger and an axe.

^ Top  
  2. Dark Elf Erudite

Dark Elf
    If you wanted to be a bit realistic about it, wielding a greataxe would lend more to your proficency in greatswords than any number of stabs with a dagger.

If you wanted to be even more realistic about it, you'd realise they're all quite different weapons and what a great idea it would had been for them to remain separate skills.

^ Top  
  3. Saint_Proverbius Arcane Patron

Saint_Proverbius
    Keep in mind that I think the main source of reluctance in accepting the term "haft" in the name of a skill is that Bethesda is moving TES towards being more accesssible. The console audience doesn't know what "haft" means. They probably think it means something they have little choice in doing, i.e. I haft to take ritalin so I can pay attention in school.

^ Top  
  4. Balor Arcane

Balor
    Ho hum.
    Well, good point, heh.
    On the other hand, he kinda got to recognize somewhat ironical posts from actual groveling.
    If you cannot see TEH IRONY in "It's nice to hear our oppinions heard and recognized for a change, though." followed by a *bow*...
    Well, it's indeed good to see that he kinda NOT a complete dumbass, and hair-splitting to boot. (Talking about splitting hairs when you have axes listed in BLUNT, Satan take him!)
    I also suspect that they considered hafted, yet:
    So, they went with blunt.
    Console audience knows blunt. In fact, that is something that is really close to them :twisted:.
    Close and personal, you know.

^ Top  
  5. MrSmileyFaceDude Bethesda Game Studios Developer

MrSmileyFaceDude
    :lol:

Well, to be honest I knew the term had to do with weapons, but not in what context, so that's why I looked it up. Dictionary searches yielded the definitions I posted earlier, but Balor (and others) were insistent so I Googled "hafted weapons" and lo and behold, that means axes & maces & such.

And before you panic, I'm a programmer, not a designer. I've always been more into science fiction than fantasy anyway, so you'll have to forgive me for not knowing much about archaic weapons terms :)

^ Top  
  6. MINIGUNWIELDER Scholar

MINIGUNWIELDER
    These ARCHAIC weapons are the basis of your entire game and you cant be bothered to read the website of a reenactors guild? :lol:

^ Top  
  7. Lumpy Arcane

Lumpy
    Since he is not a designer, and "hafted" has never been an ES term, he shouldn't have to read such a website. That's why they hire designers, you know.

^ Top  
  8. Balor Arcane

Balor
    Yea, after all, actually giving that ignorant crowd a proper (not doubed-down) term or two will not hurt your sales, and will even each something to them.
    And besides, they can always read a popup help that will explain that Hafted weaopons - means ones with a haft (long handle) and inlclude maces, axes, etc.
    *shrugs*
    You may be a programmer, MSFD, but I really suggest to talk to game designer about this :).

^ Top  
  9. Chefe Erudite

Chefe
    I wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic or real. I just made a friendly suggestion if, in fact, you were the latter.

But I am glad that someone at Bethesda knows how to work the elusive "Google". I hope they use this amazing innovation to look up the word blunt.

^ Top  
  10. Elwro Arcane

Elwro
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    Don't be so blunt.

^ Top  
  11. Chefe Erudite

Chefe
    So now blunt encompasses dialogue too?

Man, it's just taking over everything!

^ Top  
  12. MrSmileyFaceDude Bethesda Game Studios Developer

MrSmileyFaceDude
    I have, since the debate came up. One of the reasons I frequent this site is to learn more about RPGs in general. While I have spent a bit of time learning about Elder Scrolls lore and medieval history and legend, it's certainly not a job requirement for my position to be an expert in every facet of these. I know a tremendous amount in great detail about how the game's systems work, and have been programming for longer than some on this board have been alive. But I have a life and other interests outside of work and so haven't dedicated myself to the study of medieval history, fantasy and legend :)

^ Top  
  13. Chefe Erudite

Chefe
    [edit]RPGs aren't about being medieval.[/edit] In fact, I personally dislike the heavy medieval theme that has become synonymous with "RPG". The two examples I can think of right now are two of the best RPGs ever to grace gaming: Fallout and Arcanum (although Arcanum did feature medieval fantasy creatures, it had a 19th centure setting). Deus Ex is another one.

One direction I like the Elder Scrolls is going in lore-wise is making the Imperials more like the Romans, the Dark Elves seem to be slightly Arabic, and the Redguards are like pirates (in regards to the game Redguard).

RPGs are not about the setting, which is probably why there are so many bad games right now that call themselves "RPGs" since they have dragons, elves, and such. RPGs are about playing a role, and making choices that affect your character, but more importantly, affect the world in which your character resides.

Hell, maybe one day the stereotype of RPGs being all about elves, dwarves, and dragon slaying will be a thing of the past. People need to stop associating RPGs with high fantasy.

Like Balor said on the last page, it is good to hear some ideas being recognized.

^ Top  
  14. triCritical Erudite

triCritical
    It doesn't have unarmored and still does have acrobatics. Or does light armor include no armor? Why not just combine acrobatics with athletics, since jumping, running and swimming all sort of go together. Not to mention whats the point of having hand to hand combat, with no unarmored skills. Are the non-existants monks, and kung fu types going to fight in heavy armor?

I think combat screwed the most. And armorer is an OK trait I guess but probably could have been combined with security to create an engineering, or tinkering skill. I think Bethsoft seriously failed in finding the synergy in the MW skills and as a consequence eliminated skills that could make very different type of combat oriented characters and kung fu characters.

^ Top  
  15. MrSmileyFaceDude Bethesda Game Studios Developer

MrSmileyFaceDude
    Of course they are. But I don't think it's necessary for me to take a crash course in nuclear physics in order to work on Fallout 3, either. :)

^ Top  
  16. Chefe Erudite

Chefe
    I have no idea why I put that at the beginning. Ignore it.

What I meant to say was that RPGs aren't about a medieval setting, although they have become synonymous with it.

Edit: I edited it.

^ Top  
  17. Twinfalls Erudite

Twinfalls
    Are you fucking retarded? Read the words, one at a time. Training with a dagger will completely increase your two-handed sword skill. Training with a two-handed axe will not - not AT ALL. Understand? Under Oblivion's genius design, dagger skill is EQUIVALENT to two-handed sword skill, whilst a two-handed axe is NOWHERE NEAR.

^ Top  
  18. Human Shield Augur

Human Shield
    ^ Top  
  19. Chefe Erudite

Chefe
    Hi-larious!

^ Top  
  20. Balor Arcane

Balor
    *Gets out from under table he rolled in a fit of hysterical laughter*
    That's golden, brillian, platinum... nah, it's pure osmium :).

^ Top  
  21. DarkUnderlord Professional Throne Sitter

DarkUnderlord
    Just for laughs:

Dictionary.com
    Merriam-Wesbster
    YourDictionary.com
    Encarta
    AskOxford.com
    Wordsmyth.com
    Bartleby.com
    InfoPlease.com
    OneLook.com
    The 1913 version of Webster Dictionary
    Rhymezone.com
    AllWords.com
    LookWayUp.com
    Blunt vs Hafted? I choose Hafted.

^ Top  
  22. triCritical Erudite

triCritical

AGHHHH

See, already I am scared. For FO it would be more advantageous to read up on mid 20th century pop culture and sci-fi, along with perhaps sociology. The only Nuclear physics you need for FO is none. And the sort of stuff that might be useful, would probably be restricted by US energy department, since China stole all our secrets.

^ Top  
  23. Tintin Arbiter

Tintin
    Are you fucking retarded? Read the words, one at a time. Probably because a dagger and a sword are closer to each other than a dagger and an axe.

You - see. There - are (pronounced "r") - two (pronounced too) skills for weapons (pronounced wepuns) - so if you have two (pronounced too) skills - it would make more sense (pronounced like cents) to put a dagger (dag-gur) and sword (soared) together than a dagger (dag-gur) and an axe (acks). That's all you asked, not whether it made sense or not.

^ Top  
  24. Atrokkus Erudite

Atrokkus
    OMG! CODEX IS REDEFINING ENGLISH!!!

^ Top  
  25. Twinfalls Erudite

Twinfalls
    As I thought, you're retarded.

Let's take this nice and slow, Tintin - I can't do TES board ADD speak, but give this a try, anyway.

Here's my comment:

And here's your response:

Look at the second part of your comment. "...than a dagger and an axe."

Now look at my comment again. And try to explain:

What the FUCK has the non-similarity between a dagger and an axe got to do with this? What I said was that training with a two-handed axe will not increase your skill with a two-handed sword

Anyone with more than three functioning neurons left can see that I am talking about the similarity between a two handed axe and a two handed sword being greater than the similarity between a dagger and a two handed sword.

NOT any fucking similarity between a dagger and an axe. Why the fuck would I say that? There is no such issue with Oblivion's design - it is blades which have been lumped together, and this is the design problem. What the FUCK makes you think I am asking for axes and daggers to be lumped together as well?

Christ All-fucking Mighty

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.