Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oblivion

Exmit

Scholar
Never played Oblivion, should i give it a go ?

Playing it with some mods (important ones being Francesco and Martigen's - enemies are more varied, better equipped and competent), it's actually alright. Unless your "to play" list is blank right now, you're better off playing something else, though.

edit: Also Supreme Magicka. It adds new spell effects (including levitation, but there's not much point in using it on the vanilla gameworld) and makes magic more powerful / dangerous.

Varn

Educated
Don't bother.

You'd be better off with Big Rigs: Over The Road Racing instead.

Raapys

Arcane
Actually thought it was pretty crappy whatever way I played it. There's just nothing good in it. Combat's boring, they practically removed any and all cool spells from the previous games, dialog is shit, story(-ies) is shit, quests are boring, world design has nothing on, say, Gothic 3, music is generic as fuck, guilds are boring, no interesting items to find, etc., etc. There are no redeeming features at all. Even the graphics are bad.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Clockwork Knight said:
Playing it with some mods (important ones being Francesco and Martigen's
Neither fixes the bland world, copypasta dungeons, terrible writing and quests, which are really Oblivion's biggest problems. And while Francesco's makes the level scaling slightly less odious, it doesn't really fix it either. He just put some (very loose) limits on how far things scale.

Sceptic said:
Neither fixes the bland world, copypasta dungeons, terrible writing and quests, which are really Oblivion's biggest problems.

Yeah, I was expecting that reminder. However, Oblivion is a hack and slash game a la Diablo, so I let those things slide. People who play it wanting it to be a full-fledged rpg will be angry, tough.

And while Francesco's makes the level scaling slightly less odious, it doesn't really fix it either. He just put some (very loose) limits on how far things scale.

Dunno, I'm constantly getting clobbered by high level monsters / big groups of mediocre enemies when I get macho and try to take them on. I'm level 11 and I still cannot take more than, say, one regular vampire at once - I've had to hightail out of a few places already because of this. I also still meet weakling enemies all the time, generally following strong ones.

I also already got some higher-level equipment out of some "minibosses" and from lucking out in some dungeons. As far as I'm concerned, level scaling isn't a problem anymore.

Varn

Educated
Clockwork Knight said:
Yeah, I was expecting that reminder. However, Oblivion is a hack and slash game a la Diable, so I let those things slide.

I don't agree that it's a hack and slash game at all. This is shown simply by the fact it is missing all of these features "a la Diable", as you describe it:

- Challenging combat
- Deep character development with large number of useful combat and magic skills
- Awesome loot system with a profound impact on combat & a massive number of items
- Different kinds of enemies with different AI, attacks, resistances, immunities, etc.
- Numerous large, unique multi-levelled dungeons featuring traps, boss fights, hidden areas, etc; &
- No level scaling, leading to a real sense of progression in your character.

Dudblivion has: piss-easy combat; every fight is the same; every enemy attacks a similar way; dud magic system where every spell is similar; tiny number of items with little to no impact on combat; copy-pasted tiny dungeons, not one of which appears to be unique or interesting; absolutely atrocious levelling system with no sense of progression; & world's worst level-scaling that makes levelling pointless.

Varn said:
I don't agree that it's a hack and slash game at all. This is shown simply by the fact it is missing all of these features "a la Diable", as you describe it:

- Challenging combat
- Deep character development with large number of useful combat and magic skills
- Awesome loot system with a profound impact on combat & a massive number of items
- Different kinds of enemies with different AI, attacks, resistances, immunities, etc.
- Numerous large, unique multi-levelled dungeons featuring traps, boss fights, hidden areas, etc; &
- No level scaling, leading to a real sense of progression in your character.

Dudblivion has: piss-easy combat; every fight is the same; every enemy attacks a similar way; dud magic system where every spell is similar; tiny number of items with little to no impact on combat; copy-pasted tiny dungeons, not one of which appears to be unique or interesting; absolutely atrocious levelling system with no sense of progression; & world's worst level-scaling that makes levelling pointless.

The mods I mentioned take care of these problems (there are also a few dungeon mods I'm using, but not worth mentioning itt). I don't really care about vanilla's flaws since I'm not playing vanilla.

Also, the points above are not requirements of a hack and slash game, so that first line makes no sense. These are qualities present in a H&S you enjoyed (Diablo Diable, in this case), not requirements that determine a game's genre.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Clockwork Knight said:
Playing it with some mods (important ones being Francesco and Martigen's - enemies are more varied, better equipped and competent), it's actually alright. Unless your "to play" list is blank right now, you're better off playing something else, though.

edit: Also Supreme Magicka. It adds new spell effects (including levitation, but there's not much point in using it on the vanilla gameworld) and makes magic more powerful / dangerous.

Magic is already the most powerful combat style, it doesn't need to be made more powerful.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
baronjohn said:
No, play Daggerfall and Morrowind.

Daggerfall is shit. If you must avoid oblivion, play arena instead of daggerfag.

Nael

Arcane
Morrowind is superior. Actually that reminds me.. I need to post something in another thread.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
You should play it. It is perfectly tailored and designed for fucking morans like yourself Exmit.

tennishero

Novice
Raapys said:
Actually thought it was pretty crappy whatever way I played gothic, arcanum, witcher, dragon age. There's just nothing good in it. Combat's boring, they practically removed any and all cool spells from the previous games, dialog is shit, story(-ies) is shit, quests are boring, world design has nothing on, say, the elder scrolls series, music is generic as fuck, guilds are boring, no interesting items to find, etc., etc. There are no redeeming features at all. Even the graphics are bad...really fucking bad in arcanums case

fixed

If you do decide to play Oblivion, there's a torrent of a fairly recent (mid 2010) FCOM in omod format. All you need is Oblivion and the usual DLC, the latest patch, and the Oblivion Mod Manager to install it. Compared to the dozens of steps it usually takes to get FCOM to work, it's unto a revelation.

Still needs time, though. It'll take awhile for the manager to get the omod set up.

Mastermind said:
Magic is already the most powerful combat style, it doesn't need to be made more powerful.

Nah, that would be melee with enchanted items. You know magic is weak when enemy casters make you think "sweet, some easy kills" instead of "I need to kill that fag before he summons three drem- FUUUUUU".

The list of changes is pretty cool.

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=12466

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Clockwork Knight said:
Mastermind said:

Nah, that would be melee with enchanted items. You know magic is weak when enemy casters make you think "sweet, some easy kills" instead of "I need to kill that fag before he summons three drem- FUUUUUU".

The list of changes is pretty cool.

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=12466

Enemy magic is weak but enemy attacks are weak in general. In terms of player effectiveness a mage with a massive weakness spell + a high damage staff is better than any melee character, enchanted weapon or not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom