Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obscure but fun?

Self-Ejected

dream expert

Self-Ejected
To go back in time a bit...I'd say try out Grand Theft Auto 2. It's a top down 2D game in the same vein as the popular GTA 3 + series. I'd even say it has as much personality as the original GTA3 game; Maybe even a bit more. It was only up to San Andreas that it surpassed it's older 2D cousin.

In my experience, not a lot of people have played it. It was a PC game to start with (iirc), but then was ported to the PS1. Which I did not find out until googling for a video, lol.

nomask7

Arcane
WazHack is the most noob friendly (real) rogue-like that I know of. A must try for people who normally see rogue-likes as too much effort. The graphics are the most 'normal' and advanced I've seen in a game of this sort, and you can do everything with the mouse, all the buttons for commands are nicely placed on the screen, and there aren't too many of them. I also like the fact it's a side scroller, refreshing, and makes for economical levels - no running around aimlessly on huge, pretty much empty maps.

It's still kind of hardcore because you pretty much have to identify potions, wands, scrolls, and so on by using them. And items may be cursed, but unlike some (most?) rogue-likes, at least some of the characters get the skill (called 'talent' in the game) for detecting curse-status and blessed-status early on, although you have to carry those items around for a while for the detection to take place (but this adds some excitement to the game). It seems like you even need a skill for detecting how good a weapon is, but these skills are also available early on (and of course you can try figuring it out on your own).

No level-scaling. The game gets harder the deeper you descend.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Sigma games - Alien/Zombie Shooter. Ridiculous shooters with insane amount of enemies. Why I play these? Because I loathe first person shooters (I even play Elders Scrolls game in third person because of that), genre that I loved years back.
I reinstalled Alien Shooter 2 Reloaded recently cause I found that there is weapons mod for it.
Time to take out the trash. Again.

Mandatory answer when this kind of thread is made

Man, I should play it finally. Got the demo from these CDs that name I forgot...

nomask7

Arcane
There's a -75% discount for Drox Operative (from the makers of Din's Curse) at Humble Bundle, available for another day.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom