Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Obscure indies that deserve more attention - Updated Jan. 2020

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Would like to mention Vigilantes (which I've been working on since 2014 and fits the obscure requirement despite my best efforts!). Vigilantes is a turn & AP based tactical RPG set in the declining, crime riddled city of Reiker. The game offers hardcore squad-level combat in a gritty neo-noir setting, intel gathering through surveillance and interrogation, a detailed character system, base building, crafting, and more. It's currently in Steam Early access, with full release later this year. Below is the trailer, which frankly could do with a refresh at this point.

Last edited:

makchanka

Arbiter
Did I seriously just watch a preview for an Antifa simulator set to the Knight Rider theme, narrated by Jeff Goldblum?

Fuck it, I'd give it a try.

Hideji_CO

Barely Literate
Me and my little team are working on an obscure (j)RPG that could use more attention!
I'd like to share my game with you guys, but all the threads I've seen have been for completed games. Should I post a start a devlog here, or is that frowned on?

My first post here. Figured I should start showing off our RPG to more non-devs, and somebody pointed me in this direction. Think I'll fit in here. I love RPGs, hahah! Thanks, guys. =D

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Me and my little team are working on an obscure (j)RPG that could use more attention!
I'd like to share my game with you guys, but all the threads I've seen have been for completed games. Should I post a start a devlog here, or is that frowned on?

My first post here. Figured I should start showing off our RPG to more non-devs, and somebody pointed me in this direction. Think I'll fit in here. I love RPGs, hahah! Thanks, guys. =D

Hey, you can create a thread about your game in development in this subforum:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?forums/codex-workshop.37/

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Is this a place where I can post a shameless plug and get away with it? Cool.

Muh gaemu has been out since September 19 on Itch, currently working towards the Steam release w/ the target release date @ December 13.

Imma currently improving the game in minor ways, but overall you can grab the demo and get a taste of things.

Don Peste

Arcane
Minima
The Land of Miskatonia needs a hero to save it from the evil Faxon and its minions. Can you be that hero? Explore Miskatonia and its settlements, talk to its residents, build up your skills, and finally challenge Faxon in its secret lair.

enn1YF.png

Minima is an adventure RPG in the style of the older Ultima games (Ultima I, Ultima II, Ultima III, Ultima IV, & Ultima V) as played on the Commodore 64 and 128 computers. Just like the original Ultima games, it includes a world view, enterable towns, and 3D dungeon displays. It also features graphics, sound effects, and music that should help one recollect those classics. More importantly, it is a fully playable (and winnable) game with its own backstory, plot, setting, and characters. It was written for PICO-8 and can be run on Linux, Mac, and MS-Windows. It can also be played through the Web at: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=31831

wOW%2BvO.png

RpfAXA.png

gLQpLw.png

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I've seen a Pico-8 Wizardry-like, now an Ultima-like and recently there was a even a Star Wars 3d game, it's kinda crazy what they've done with this engine

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Minima
The Land of Miskatonia needs a hero to save it from the evil Faxon and its minions. Can you be that hero? Explore Miskatonia and its settlements, talk to its residents, build up your skills, and finally challenge Faxon in its secret lair.

enn1YF.png

Minima is an adventure RPG in the style of the older Ultima games (Ultima I, Ultima II, Ultima III, Ultima IV, & Ultima V) as played on the Commodore 64 and 128 computers. Just like the original Ultima games, it includes a world view, enterable towns, and 3D dungeon displays. It also features graphics, sound effects, and music that should help one recollect those classics. More importantly, it is a fully playable (and winnable) game with its own backstory, plot, setting, and characters. It was written for PICO-8 and can be run on Linux, Mac, and MS-Windows. It can also be played through the Web at: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=31831

wOW%2BvO.png

RpfAXA.png

gLQpLw.png
Cool I could try to play on iPhone. Difficult to do anything other than move around and examine. My fingers just weren’t tapping the right sections to perform actions.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Well, I know what I’m downloading. I almost thought escape from mt drash was the inspiration here.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I haven't played it but it was made by the guy who's making Akaruuk and the fact he actually released a game makes the odds that Akaruuk ever get released slightly higher.

Simple Simon

Scholar
Just wanted to say I really like The Last Sovereign, not sure if it has been mentioned before. It does choice and consequence really well, where you are balancing improving your relationship with your party members, improving your relationship with other countries, boosting your military and economy, and improving your own individual ability to perform well in combat. It is an adult RPG maker game, but it is not like trashy or anything. I don't even care about the sex stuff, the appeal to me is the politics and philosophy stuff. 5 chapters are planned and we are mid way through the 4th chapter now. I would describe it as a deconstruction of the typical save the world/build a harem fantasy games (looking at you Xenoblade 2).

Here's a link to the developer's blog (where she releases the free-to-play version a week or so after the Patreon version) and the wiki/walkthrough. http://the-last-sovereign.blogspot.com/
https://thelastsovereign.wikia.com/wiki/The_Last_Sovereign_Wiki

Skdursh

Savant
One that I found recently that I've become really fond of and I haven't heard anyone else talk about is "The Real Texas" (https://af.gog.com/game/the_real_texas_dusty_skies_edition?as=1649904300). It has a bit of an old-school Ultima feel to it in that you need to search things, solves puzzles, type out actual words to ask people questions and whatnot in a delightfully weird setting in a psuedo-top-down 3D environment. The graphical style might turn some people off as it could be described as slightly "cutesy" but if you're here you probably care more about the actual game than the way it looks. I was personally pretty hooked after the first few minutes of playing the game and it has a surprising amount of depth, although it's not really a traditional RPG, more of a bizarre adventure game with a lot of RPG elements.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom