Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Obscure indies that deserve more attention - Updated Jan. 2020

GoranK

Grim Dev Studio
Developer
Hi everyone, I've been a codex reader for years but never posted before, and I do so now with a plea for help - would any of you be interested in joining the beta test for the game I'm developing? It's an oldschool mobile turn based RPG / Dungeon Crawler / Roguelike set in a dark fantasy world with elements of psychological horror. The game is somewhat text heavy for a mobile game, and tires to follow a clean and minimalist design. This is a side project I work on on weekends between a full time job so I don't have much time to playtest the game myself. I do this for hobby and love so the game is and always will be free, with some optional in-app purchases (donations) for those who feel like it. I'm not sure if this post breaks any of the forum rules - if so feel free to remove it, if not I will include a download link for those interested. Thanks in advance!

A quick list of features:

Grim Quest

- immerse in a dark fantasy world with it's own history and lore
- customize you character with 16 unique spells and 12 active & passive skills
- select one of 14 character backgrounds that each affect gameplay in a different way
- defeat enemies in a classic turn-based combat using intuitive touch gestures
- survive unforgiving boss battles and nerve wrecking ambushes
- visit 4 infinite, procedurally generated dungeons with a variety of 60+ enemy types
- experience 20+ interactive, text-based events
- acquire 40+ consumable items and crafting ingredients
- complete quests and collect bounties
- manage you character's sanity or suffer unexpected consequences
- manage defences of a besieged city
- relax or add suspense with 3 difficulty levels and optional permadeat

Click on spoiler for screenshots

yRYLlCW.jpg
8gm9Ezu.jpg
lMCWC4Q.jpg
CUv6Y5B.jpg

7cW29vO.jpg
a4cKdo7.jpg

more screenshots at https://imgur.com/a/7fIcFJc

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hi everyone, I've been a codex reader for years but never posted before, and I do so now with a plea for help - would any of you be interested in joining the beta test for the game I'm developing? It's an oldschool mobile turn based RPG / Dungeon Crawler / Roguelike set in a dark fantasy world with elements of psychological horror. The game is somewhat text heavy for a mobile game, and tires to follow a clean and minimalist design. This is a side project I work on on weekends between a full time job so I don't have much time to playtest the game myself. I do this for hobby and love so the game is and always will be free, with some optional in-app purchases (donations) for those who feel like it. I'm not sure if this post breaks any of the forum rules - if so feel free to remove it, if not I will include a download link for those interested. Thanks in advance!

A quick list of features:

Grim Quest

- immerse in a dark fantasy world with it's own history and lore
- customize you character with 16 unique spells and 12 active & passive skills
- select one of 14 character backgrounds that each affect gameplay in a different way
- defeat enemies in a classic turn-based combat using intuitive touch gestures
- survive unforgiving boss battles and nerve wrecking ambushes
- visit 4 infinite, procedurally generated dungeons with a variety of 60+ enemy types
- experience 20+ interactive, text-based events
- acquire 40+ consumable items and crafting ingredients
- complete quests and collect bounties
- manage you character's sanity or suffer unexpected consequences
- manage defences of a besieged city
- relax or add suspense with 3 difficulty levels and optional permadeat

Click on spoiler for screenshots

yRYLlCW.jpg
8gm9Ezu.jpg
lMCWC4Q.jpg
CUv6Y5B.jpg

7cW29vO.jpg
a4cKdo7.jpg

more screenshots at https://imgur.com/a/7fIcFJc
The colour scheme a deliberate decision?

GoranK

Grim Dev Studio
Developer
The colour scheme a deliberate decision?

Yes and no - being a solo developer and no artist myself, I had to settle for what graphics I could find in the public domain. I was lucky to run into this great black & white icon pack which fit perfectly into the general theme and mood I knew I wanted the game to portray - the rest of the design followed naturally from there.

As promised the link to the beta is here - it's currently available for the Android platform at the Google Play Store:

* Download Link *

GoranK

Grim Dev Studio
Developer
WHATS UP WITH THE ALL CAPS TEXT, THO?

Dunno, go ask the makers of Diablo? Eh, jokes aside, it's the font - I realize it my not be to everyones liking... not even sure it's to my liking just yet, so I included an alternative font (somewhat retro looking, no caps) in the game settings.

Luzur

Good Sir
89489788_10214925684629264_3173738123142103040_o.jpg

Hi folks!
It was a long road to Beta 1 - but now it's done.
The game is now playable and completable, with all graphics and music in their final form.
Now I'm just looking for bugs before I will release it as freeware.
Anyone of you not already in my Betatest group may now join and have a look at "Gates Of Integrity" as it is now called.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/291757251413093/

89438479_10214925684909271_8701595186121146368_o.jpg

89911577_10214925686109301_7856594743256416256_o.jpg

89292971_10214925684789268_4378792112586489856_o.jpg

Luzur

Good Sir
Fallen Dungeons is a grid-based dungeon crawler which melds modern aesthetics and mechanics with old school game design. Adventurers seeking refuge from the storm find themselves drawn in to an expedition to a remote peninsula where promised treasures await inside a forgotten Keep. Once the party have gained entrance they realise that not all is as it seems within its walls. A dark magic appears to have engulfed the Keep and new factions of creatures have taken up refuge. If the party wish to survive they must delve deep into the bowls of the Keep and uncover what secrets it holds. At its core Fallen Dungeons resurrects the classic dungeon crawler games of the late 80s and early 90s. With real time melee combat, spell systems and tile-based movement the player is immersed in the challenge ahead. The Keep contains many devious secrets and puzzles which make progress more challenging and engrossing. On your journey you will meet many different creatures, and maybe a few stranded souls, each with their own tactics and motives. As the story progresses you will venture into different locations, each tailored to challenge the player and reward the brave. http://www.fallendungeons.com

MightyHoax

Educated
Project: Eternity
It looks better than Baldurs Gate 3

edit: Bought it. Might be a fun little game if it didn't crash every two minutes. At the moment it really is unplayable.

edit2: My issues with crashing are being fixed and a new version will be made available. Fun game so far.

Last edited:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Myth Bearer is currently free.

https://jc-bailey.itch.io/myth-bearer

It's ~3-4 hour long and it's a simple, easy game but I played it so I can describe it for whoever may be interested.

The game takes place in an open-world where all the enemies are just standing there waiting to be smashed (you take some damage when smashing them) and you'll pass by a lot of hard enemies from the start that you'll need to fight much later. In some way this vaguely reminded me of Ramble Planet (one of the Void Pyramid/Alien Squatter dev's games). However, while Ramble Planet has level as only single stat and monsters are killed in one hit if your level is high enough and you can't attack them otherwise, in Myth Bearer even if it's the opposite of complex the character you control has a level stat determining life and base damage dealt, a weapon slot to increase damage dealt, an armor slot decreasing damage taken and an accessory slot which can provide various bonuses, there are some consumables and a few more resources you can use. Consumables are sparse and you'll need to do with what you'll find, you need to be a minimum careful when choosing what enemies to attack.

I think the comparison with Ramble Planet is interesting, because while Ramble Planet has a very interesting environment with a lot of puzzles and secrets, Myth Bearer only has a few hidden doors, and in my opinion it would have highly benefited from the same kind of world as Ramble Planet because you could potentially miss some resources or pieces of equipment. Technically the world acts as a big puzzle, but since you can't miss things the world is built so that it's really about roamming the entire available world to smash all the "level 1" monsters available then roamming the entire available world again to smash all the "level 2" monsters available, etc, while coccasionnally using a health to bruteforce through slightly stronger monsters when a piece of equipment is in sight. I'm exagerating because sometimes you get to open a part of the world rather than another depending on what enemies you actually killed, but in my opinion the game often feels like a lot of walking with some minor planning and resource management.

The description says you can skip some chapters and that must have some real impact on the game because the world changes when you advance through chapters, the enemies get different. I never skipped a chapter so I can't comment deeper than that about this aspect.

Finishing the game unlocks a New Game + mode, I felt it was not worth it but I didn't play it for a long time.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
V_K do you have any impression about the game? Is it worth the asking price?

EDIT:nevermind, it's just a few post "old" I was thinking that people already know this game for a longtime

V_K

Arcane

mastroego

Arcane
I've tried fast forwarding through the trailer to get a quick idea and ended up with like 4 blocks texts (tl;dr) on a black background at different times.
So at a quick "glance", meh.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer

Athrek

Barely Literate
This is a game I played a while back and thought was interesting. It is short enough to 100% within 2 hours but I feel like the concept and design would be really cool in a much more fleshed out game.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

Hi folks!
The game is now playable and completable, with all graphics and music in their final form.
Anyone of you not already in my Betatest group may now join and have a look at "Gates Of Integrity" as it is now called.

1W8WKj.jpg
MOS0o4.jpg
goSG3X.jpg
ozG0AB.jpg
Ku6eoB.jpg
https://tarjan.itch.io/gates-of-integrity
Any good magic?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer

Hi folks!

1W8WKj.jpg
MOS0o4.jpg
goSG3X.jpg
ozG0AB.jpg
Ku6eoB.jpg
Any good magic?
Nothing unusual, different Light spells, TrapZap and Disarm chest, Display compass, Teleport, various healing and curing spells, multiple buffs, some summoning spells and single target and multiple target direct damage, paralysis and poison.

tindrli

Arcane

Hi folks!

1W8WKj.jpg
MOS0o4.jpg
goSG3X.jpg
ozG0AB.jpg
Ku6eoB.jpg
Any good magic?
Nothing unusual, different Light spells, TrapZap and Disarm chest, Display compass, Teleport, various healing and curing spells, multiple buffs, some summoning spells and single target and multiple target direct damage, paralysis and poison.
dont forget about unique GIANT RAT design

Luzur

Good Sir
Mystic Searches - An upcoming NES game that may be worth waiting for!

I thought to myself today it's been some time since we had any Zelda style games on Indie Retro News, but thankfully I've come across a game that doesn't only look like a Zelda development, but it almost looks like a high quality commercial release from the golden era of the NES. Welcome to Mystic Searches; a brand new upcoming game from The New 8-bit Heroes, in which they claim from their website : " The lore of this world is far beyond the scope of what can fit in the limited memory of an 8-bit NES cartridge."
Kickstarter page which was a huge success hitting a $54,381 goal. According to PD " In this open journey through a unique fantasy world, the young vagabond musician Julian strives to avenge his mentor and undo the deceptive actions of the rogue sorceress Amriya. You must solve complex puzzles. Explore a mysterious mythology full of foreign races and monsters. Navigate through perilous platform adventures and much much more ".
https://www.mysticsearches.com/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom