Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Obscure indies that deserve more attention - Updated Jan. 2020

Luzur

Good Sir
Hired Sword 2 - A new C64 CRPG published through Double Sided Games gets a release

Get your wallets ready people as Double Sided Games have just announced another release for the Commodore 64 to help you through these tough times ahead! Yes indeed thanks to a twitter heads up from the publishers themselves, we've been told that they have not only made available the full boxed edition of the latest CRPG called 'Hired Sword 2', but you can also download it right now as a digital download by a team of great C64 retro heads such as Roy Riggs, Mike Richmond and Ten Chu.
Website

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Age Of Fear is a series that is pretty obscure (less than 300 reviews on Steam per game) and needs more love. It is truly excellent if u love turn-based tactics with tons of RPG elements!

Also, why is this thread dead? Indies need our love and support, heh. Hope this puts somebody on to this excellent series, though. God Bless. <3

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I'll throw a second one up here - Himeko Sutori. :) Pretty obscure JRPG with hundreds of units featured in combat. The game features very classy customization of the units, whether it's equipped gear or the unique class leveling up system. It also features a pretty serious challenge, at least for me (I let several units die too often and am now having to grind myself back up, but it's fun!) Cool game overall, definitely deserving of some love from Codexers and others. :)

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I'll throw a second one up here - Himeko Sutori. :) Pretty obscure JRPG with hundreds of units featured in combat. The game features very classy customization of the units, whether it's equipped gear or the unique class leveling up system. It also features a pretty serious challenge, at least for me (I let several units die too often and am now having to grind myself back up, but it's fun!) Cool game overall, definitely deserving of some love from Codexers and others. :)

Looks like a 4X + jrpg garbage mix, combat and exploration seems particularly horrible (worst of jrpg for the former and worst of 4X for the latter)

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Looks like a 4X + jrpg garbage mix, combat and exploration seems particularly horrible (worst of jrpg for the former and worst of 4X for the latter)

hmm, now that u mention it, I *do* see some 4x similarities, but that's mostly in the actual presentation. At its core it is a deep, tactical and maybe too player intensive JRPG, with a high difficulty.

Combat is by no means horrible, but my enjoyment of it also is padded by indirect attributes. I love seeing MY little sprite team in action, the team I leveled up, outfitted and pored over how to compose each lance and each class. Then if you throw in challenging fights, multiple groups on each side and maybe even a boss character, it does become quite tactically engrossing. The maps are large enough that enemies can come from all sides, and your party can also be at the mercy of many a ranged unit.

Second, exploration is done on a large, hex grid of an overland map. There are little events and traders to find, secret locations, potential fights against several different factions which also produce interesting loot and crafting supplies. There are caves to explore, ruins to plunder, *IF* u survive. It's actually quite cool, and that's not even taking into account when it switches to 3D in a town or what have u.

The star of the show is really the sum of its parts being greater than each part. I really enjoy leveling up my units, seeing them grow, watching them unleash their abilities in combat, leveling and gearing them up some more, and then witnessing the story and its location. One cool location is The Shadowlands, which is a dark, twisted land reached via portals called World Gates, where if u live too long in these lands u slowly lose your mind. Necromancy runs wild there, and the player can even craft necromantic minions and the like from the extensive crafting system. :)

In short, it's a really cool JRPG, totally unique and unseen before, that requires a little patience and an open mind to fully enjoy. In my opinion, which may not matter or account for your enjoyment. But I happen to love it. Hope u guys do, too! :) Thanks for the response Darth, take care buddy! <3

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Dune, Dark sun, and more. Seems its been on a wishlist for me. I watched the vids and it looksdamn good.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Not sure if I posted this game before, but it's pretty fun if you want a pure 'you in your machine vs other machines in underground tunnels' kind of game.

The pricing might be a bit too steep and the game felt a bit rough when I played it, but the developer keeps working on it. It does allow for cool stuff like creating a small hole in the ground and hiding there to cover yourself from enemy fire, or blowing up a wall to create a shortcut.

Developer
Has anyone played this game:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/807120/Iratus_Lord_of_the_Dead/

It looks like an inverted Darkest Dungeon, where you play as servants of the big bad trying to make your way to the surface. It seems like an interesting premise.

I'd hardly call Iratus obscure, gave it a go a while ago and found it too grindy and repetitive for my taste. The premise is indeed interesting, and has been done better before:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizardry_IV:_The_Return_of_Werdna

Or, on the subject of obscure indies and heavily inspired by Wiz IV:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Has anyone played this game:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/807120/Iratus_Lord_of_the_Dead/

It looks like an inverted Darkest Dungeon, where you play as servants of the big bad trying to make your way to the surface. It seems like an interesting premise.

I'd hardly call Iratus obscure, gave it a go a while ago and found it too grindy and repetitive for my taste. The premise is indeed interesting, and has been done better before:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizardry_IV:_The_Return_of_Werdna

Or, on the subject of obscure indies and heavily inspired by Wiz IV:

I wouldn't call Paper Sorcerer obscure either. It was fairly popular when it came out, but sadly, it's buggy and the developer didn't fix the remaining issues -- from what I gathered from his Steam posts, it seems like his friend coded the game for him, but don't quote me on that.

Developer
I wouldn't call Paper Sorcerer obscure either. It was fairly popular when it came out, but sadly, it's buggy and the developer didn't fix the remaining issues -- from what I gathered from his Steam posts, it seems like his friend coded the game for him, but don't quote me on that.

My totally scientific and objective obscure-o-meter sets the threshold at around 500 steam reviews, give or take :P

V_K

Arcane
My initial criterium for this list was that the game either shouldn't have a dedicated Codex thread, or that thread should be less than 5 pages long at the time of addition. It's arbitrary and I regret that but just can't find the time to go through suggestions again.

JP78

Novice
Also, I don't know if this game qualifies as an "Obscure Indie" but it sure deserves more attention:
The Abbey of Crime Extensum
https://store.steampowered.com/app/474030/The_Abbey_of_Crime_Extensum/

It's a free remake of an 80's Spanish title "La Abadia del crimen". The game was inspired on Umberto Eco's "The Name of the Rose". If you're going to give this game a try, I suggest you read the manual and preservere for the first hour or so and you'll have fun.
Well, it's free.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I recently discovered this neat little TRPG called Bright Blades. I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but the artwork reminds me of the old nes Fire Emblem games. It may be worth checking out if you're into those sorts of games.

https://sam-rowett-games.itch.io/bright-blades

I'll drop this here :

• Multiple secret scenes that allow you to uncover the history of the cast and the world of Bright Blades.
  • Easily-accessible tutorials and other quality-of-life features to help anyone get into the game, regardless of their strategy skill level.
  • A classic fantasy story inspired by Norse Mythology and William Shakespeare about love and war, with a diverse and LGBT+ inclusive cast of protagonists.
  • Every character can pet the dog to give him a small power-up. Whosagoodboi!

So secrets ... to get lore and cut-scenes. :retarded:
Tutorials so everyone can play the game regardless of their strategy level ... --> A game for casuals and retards ? Or Casual retards?
Third point is self explanatory...
Pet the doggo, Whooo ... :retarded::retarded:

Codex GOTY?
At least, it'll reach the Top 5!

lightbane

Arcane
Jesus, is this what indie games will always be from now on? Always infested with woke crap?
t the doggo, Whooo ... :retarded::retarded:

Possible picture of doge.

TO2RIu.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom