Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Obscure indies that deserve more attention - Updated Jan. 2020

Skdursh

Savant
Edit: Turns out there is already a thread about this game on the forum, though I swear I checked the search for "Prometheus" first before posting this and nothing came up.

Potentially interesting turn-based RPG Indie project with a semi-modern setting (description says the setting is "post-technology", taking place after some sort of global catastrophe). Seems to be the work of a sole dev, but I can't say for sure, it's possible there may be a few others. Recently got an updated demo which I haven't personally played yet, but it looks like it's been progressing enough to be worth sharing.

LINK ---> Prometheus Wept <--- LINK
DragDocks4.png

Dialogue.png

WolfHunt.jpg

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Potentially interesting turn-based RPG Indie project with a semi-modern setting (description says the setting is "post-technology", taking place after some sort of global catastrophe). Seems to be the work of a sole dev, but I can't say for sure, it's possible there may be a few others. Recently got an updated demo which I haven't personally played yet, but it looks like it's been progressing enough to be worth sharing.

LINK ---> Prometheus Wept <--- LINK
DragDocks4.png

Dialogue.png

WolfHunt.jpg
This is a game by resident Timeslip who also made Vigilantes

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/prometheus-wept-turn-based-rpg-from-vigilantes-developer.132804/

Skdursh

Savant
I checked the search for "Prometheus" before posting this and nothing came up
The thread is on the first page of results whether you search for "Prometheus" or "Prometheus Wept".
I'm aware of that. I'm saying when I searched the first time literally no results turned up leading me to believe it had not ever been mentioned. Not a "first page", not nothing. I'm guessing it was an error of some sort.

Risewild

Arbiter
"Erannorth Reborn" and "Erannorth Chronicles" are two obscure indie games that are quite fun.

Reborn was the first game from the developer Spyridon Thalassinos. It's a Roguelike Deckbuilder game with interesting character creation and a RPG system. It's more focused on a Gauntlet type of playstyle.

Chronicles is the sequel (and kinda like a remake) of Reborn. This time the game's engine and systems had several years of upgrades/updates. The game is now more focused on a sandbox world map with quests, hideouts/player home, exploration, etc. It's not much of a roguelike anymore, but it's more RPG. There's still a gauntlet mode for those that enjoy that type of game style too. It's a much bigger game, with thousands of more cards, many new races and classes (each with several subraces and subclasses too), more organizations, more in-depth character creation, more enemies, more enemy actions, better art, more modding capabilities, way more QoL improvements, etc.

I haven't really touched Reborn since before Chronicles was released (since I was lucky enough to have access to the game before the release) except to update some mods I made for Reborn. Although I pretty much 100% Reborn before that, and I am not a completionist or care for 100% games, I just couldn't put that game down.
But I do prefer Chronicles. I prefer sandbox map to gauntlet style, the game is way more polished, has more modding capabilities, has way more content than Reborn with all its DLCs, and the developer keeps adding more stuff in free official updates and free mods all the time.

For a one-man development studio, these games are hidden gems. Definitely worth the full price for those that enjoy sandbox, deckbuilding RPGs.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
"Erannorth Reborn" and "Erannorth Chronicles" are two obscure indie games that are quite fun.

Reborn was the first game from the developer Spyridon Thalassinos. It's a Roguelike Deckbuilder game with interesting character creation and a RPG system. It's more focused on a Gauntlet type of playstyle.

Chronicles is the sequel (and kinda like a remake) of Reborn. This time the game's engine and systems had several years of upgrades/updates. The game is now more focused on a sandbox world map with quests, hideouts/player home, exploration, etc. It's not much of a roguelike anymore, but it's more RPG. There's still a gauntlet mode for those that enjoy that type of game style too. It's a much bigger game, with thousands of more cards, many new races and classes (each with several subraces and subclasses too), more organizations, more in-depth character creation, more enemies, more enemy actions, better art, more modding capabilities, way more QoL improvements, etc.

I haven't really touched Reborn since before Chronicles was released (since I was lucky enough to have access to the game before the release) except to update some mods I made for Reborn. Although I pretty much 100% Reborn before that, and I am not a completionist or care for 100% games, I just couldn't put that game down.
But I do prefer Chronicles. I prefer sandbox map to gauntlet style, the game is way more polished, has more modding capabilities, has way more content than Reborn with all its DLCs, and the developer keeps adding more stuff in free official updates and free mods all the time.

For a one-man development studio, these games are hidden gems. Definitely worth the full price for those that enjoy sandbox, deckbuilding RPGs.

In Chronicles, do the Leyline Affinty and Leyline Aversions become irritating? Besides some of the unappealing artwork on some of the characters its the only reservation I have.

Risewild

Arbiter
In Chronicles, do the Leyline Affinty and Leyline Aversions become irritating? Besides some of the unappealing artwork on some of the characters its the only reservation I have.
They can if you rely too much on one element. On the other hand, if it's an affinity, then your one element is more powerful.
Although, the game is supposed to be played in a way where you shouldn't be a one-trick pony (or at least until you have learned a lot about how the game works). It also allows you to make and have several decks that you can switch at any time, so you can have decks with a different focus and change them depending on what enemies or areas you're dealing with.

But the game is very customizable, it has plenty of options to make "custom modes" and you can disable Leyline effects in any of those.

Lagi

Savant
Eh... i accidentally burn my self to death in fireplace - great feature (no)
yeah this game is senile, but have its charm

Lagi

Savant
The "Ishar Trilogy" and Perihelion also deserve a remake.
I am waiting only for Aethra Chronicles. I hope in 20 years I would be able to just tell AI to make this remake (instead of feeding me a boring office life simulation).

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Eh... i accidentally burn my self to death in fireplace - great feature (no)
yeah this game is senile, but have its charm
Lol. I did that in a few other games. I also watched npcs walk into the fireplace and die in a few games. Hilariously stupid.

Mortmal

Arcane
https://pyrdacor.itch.io/ambermoon
remake of some ancient amiga game

this screen : ...... its full 3d, with NOT 90 degree angle turn. Movement its like in Wolfenstein (fps). There is English version.
There is a topic on this FYI.
Although wasn't this mainstream for RPGs at the time? Hardly as obscure as most titles in this thread. Good game either way.
No, not mainstream at all and not really fitting on this list as it was a good game. Had plenty of attention in it's time, it's was an era of gaming most codexers diddnt live through , an era of computers favored by europeans mostly. I am repeating the same thing again, but being old and all it's ok for me. Gaming pre 90's and early 90's was better on amiga on every aspect, it's worth browsing this site https://www.lemonamiga.com/ to see what you missed , there's great things, better than what is released by 99% of steam indies 30 years later.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
No, not mainstream at all and not really fitting on this list as it was a good game. Had plenty of attention in it's time, it's was an era of gaming most codexers diddnt live through , an era of computers favored by europeans mostly. I am repeating the same thing again, but being old and all it's ok for me. Gaming pre 90's and early 90's was better on amiga on every aspect, it's worth browsing this site https://www.lemonamiga.com/ to see what you missed , there's great things, better than what is released by 99% of steam indies 30 years later.
I think one of us is misinterpreting each other. You're saying its not mainstream, but I was saying it was mainstream at the time, and you do say it had attention at the time. Sort of hard for me to tell since a lot of games had reviews in every magazine then fall of the face of the Earth. While I didn't live through the era, I have played quite a few titles from then and have read some of the magazines. Not quite sure that it was universally true that the early '90s was better for Amiga, by then things were starting to get less clear cut than the '80s.

Mortmal

Arcane
I think one of us is misinterpreting each other. You're saying its not mainstream, but I was saying it was mainstream at the time, and you do say it had attention at the time. Sort of hard for me to tell since a lot of games had reviews in every magazine then fall of the face of the Earth. While I didn't live through the era, I have played quite a few titles from then and have read some of the magazines. Not quite sure that it was universally true that the early '90s was better for Amiga, by then things were starting to get less clear cut than the '80s.
The only misinterpration could be if you are refering to the codex noosphere , the collective imagination of the hivemind, full of deep and complex rpg in ancient times.

Hint: That never happened. I am not living in codex collective imagination, i was there . Gamers did not even like rpgs that much, piracy was widely spread , arcade/action/platformers games were circulating, the rpgs were much harder to be found, you had to request them to the scene and hackers, or the unthinkable : Buy them. The most popular were arcade port and we were drooling on the genesis and pc engine arcade versions.

There was many more release pre 2000 but most of those werent so complex and even the most complex arent rocket science. Ambermoon a 1993 game , 1992-1993 very good years, competiting with all time best like wizardry 7 , ultima underworld and ultima 7, dark sun etc. Before those years there's hardly anything better and less mainstream.

Mortmal

Arcane
Atlet, you piece of work of convicted pedophile, stop with your shitty ratings, the only responsable of you being maidenless is...you. Do not redirect your anger to me. If Meb and other girls(the adults you cant overpower,i mean ) throw you away, its just because you are a douchebag, and boring too.

Codex Year of the Donut
Reminds me of shareware text-based RPGs you used to be able to find, which was enough to at least get me to look at the page instead of skipping past.

not sure if it deserves more attention, but it hits the obscure part.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom