Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian dev: not buying from Atari = death of CRPGs

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Don't really follow the MoW/NWN2 forums or anything, but I stumbled on this on the frontpage of NWVault and had to do a double-take. I even read through the whole topic, but context doesn't seem to make the message any less dumb.

Link:
Rob McGinnis said:
Quote: Posted 09/26/08 06:12 (GMT) by wayninja

Don't let the corporate propaganda and thread closures fool you. Not buying MoW does serve a purpose.

Whether you agree with that purpose or not is up to you, but the whole "cut off your nose to spite your face" argument is bullocks.

There is no better way to express your displeasure at how a company treats you and handles the distribution of a product better than not buying that product.

So, in the end, if you feel the product and wait is worth it, by all means, buy it. If you feel that Atari should be sent a message, then don't. Of course all of this assumes the game will ever be released.
Then I project/guess the end result is that D&D games on PC will no longer occur, cutting out this displeased community.

Personally, I like my RPGs on the PC. But, if the market is no longer here then, if I was Atari, I would shift my target market.

Consoles are a much lower-cost platform to develop for since you don't have to worry about compatibility or DRM.

Now, as for personal attacks, there have been so many warnings in this forum, I can't even count them. The perma-bans are coming out. We have been more than patient and lenient with the enforcement of the Rules of Conduct here. No more warnings will be given.

Bolding mine. He's not even saying "WAH PIRACY IS RUINING PC GAMING" (though there's a bit of subtext for that). He's saying that if you don't like Atari's plan to introduce new DRM to NWN2 and delaying MoW, then... you contribute to the decline of CRPGs. If you just aren't interested in MoW or think it'll be a piece of shit, you contribute to the decline of CRPGs. No, what?

Is he trying to guilt-trip people into buying NWN2 products?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The fact remains that the market for D&D games is on the PC, and if atari wants to make money off the license they will have to appeal to PC gamers. Threatening with moving to consoles is just lame.

Stuff like this is why most companies only let marketing reps post on forums...

Pastel

Scholar
I don't agree with that guy quoted, though, since I don't think not buying MoW is going to send the right kind of message to Atari. They'll just assume people aren't interested in Ossian's projects. If they were to use logic, they wouldn't have delayed the product for a year for DRM in the first place.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Heh. Some of you may not remember but I think some of BIS' stuff tried the same thing with Fallout: BoS, trying to guilt-trip us into buying it because otherwise we wouldn't get Fallout 3.

I never respond well to that kind of pressure m'self

Anyway, trying to pretend Atari is not making a monumentally stupid decision with the delay of MoW is just deluding yourself. Atari is killing the sales of that game by delayed it, effectively undoing any good the DRM might do in discouraging piracy. Shooting their own foot, there.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Brother None said:
Heh. Some of you may not remember but I think some of BIS' stuff tried the same thing with Fallout: BoS, trying to guilt-trip us into buying it because otherwise we wouldn't get Fallout 3.

The irony of that is drowning me.

Fez

Erudite
A retarded and ridiculous argument, but perhaps he was just grumpy (and therefore not speaking entirely rationally) as Crispy suggested.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Atari announced that it's going casual and consoles in future, so SoZ will be pretty much the last PC DnD RPG they're gonna publish. After that, I hope Obsidian continues to create their own, self-financed hardcore PC RPGs.

Ya know, I'm still interested in Torn btw....

uhjghvt

Scholar
I doubt anyone is going to want to play D&D based games much longer anyway since WOTC seems to be determined to fly the whole franchise into an office building

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
uhjghvt said:
I doubt anyone is going to want to play D&D based games much longer anyway since WOTC seems to be determined to fly the whole franchise into an office building
This.

I just hope SoZ will be a good farewell to DnD.

MetalCraze

Arcane
People who can't come up with the system of their own use DnD - everything is finished there - just take it.
People who have creativity make SPECIAL.... and get their studio closed :(

Pastel

Scholar
f3_charisma.jpg

The Dude

Liturgist
Buying or not buying something can serve a purpose, but I kinda agree that it isn't always the purpose you want that is served since consumer - seller interaction beyond buying or not is extremely rare at best.

Anyways, D&D is a somewhat shitty ruleset for CRPGs, but so are most rulesets. I still don't get why someone hasn't designed a CRPG ruleset from the ground up (no, S.P.E.C.I.A.L is still too pnp) that takes the strength of computers into account, namely number crunching. As long as stuff is logical and makes sense, it doesn't have to be 100% transparent for the player. And yeah, that discussion happened before.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
SSI: Closed
Interplay: Closed
BIS: Closed
Troika: Closed
Obsidian: Threatening to close
BioWare: Might as well be closed
Atari: Closed, resurrected, should never have been resurrected

Is D&D actually the kiss of death? teh CURsE@!!

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
He sounds like a mod designer who is threatening to pull support on everything unless someone sucks his dick.

Personaly I think DnD games have been kind of shit for the most part. Companies should be able to make their own settings and rules instead of generic DnD stuff that we usually get and the crap rules.

Kogorn

Novice
Obsidian: Threatening to close
--Can you provide evidence of this? Not that I don't believe you I just want to read more about it

BioWare: Might as well be closed
--I agree that Bioware's most recent productions aren't nearly as good as its old classics were. Nevertheless, I think theres great potential for the future. Dragon Age looks really good to me.

Anyways, it does piss me off when devs whine about piracy. It really isn't that big a factor unless you make a big deal about it, in which case yeah, people are going to pirate it because they're pissed off that you don't trust them.

As for DnD, I stand by my opinion (however wrong or right) that the BG games were masterpieces.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom