Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian doing a 2D RPG

LordDenton

Augur
sea said:
Was going to say. Scaleform is Flash-based and used by just about every game out there these days, and can presumably be used for a full 2D game as well, not just interface (not 100% sure but it seems logical, you'd have to do engine systems yourself but other than that it'd probably be very easy).

Flash in itself isn't even a bad thing for 2D games not requiring too much in the way of animation - games can be played in a browser and therefore are cross-platform, can run on just about any device you can think of, very low performance requirement, probably fairly easy to port to other platforms if necessary, fast development time, etc. There are some really beautiful Flash games out there, and several even sold as retail titles (Samorost, Machinarium), so don't assume it automatically rules out quality. I dislike Flash overall but it's not a bad choice for this sort of thing.
You cannot make a quality RPG in Flash. Browser games are all, without exception, shit.

Also, Machinarium and Samorost are casual games. Not exactly Icewind Dale level of complexity. ;)

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
LordDenton said:
You cannot make a quality RPG in Flash. Browser games are all, without exception, shit.
What evidence do you have for it? There are plenty of bad Flash games, and most Flash games err on the side of casual, but why does that mean Flash is by nature prohibitive of complex game mechanics? I've seen plenty of Flash games that feature both fairly deep mechanics and extremely fast, complex visuals (lots of bullet hell shooters, for instance, with hundreds of moving and animating objects at once). Are you suggesting that Flash is incapable of rendering Infinity Engine-like graphics even though there are many games which do far more than that, artistic considerations aside?

LordDenton said:
Also, Machinarium and Samorost are casual games. Not exactly Icewind Dale level of complexity. ;)
I was referring to their visuals, not gameplay, as examples of what Flash is capable of animation-wise - and I'm sure they don't fully explore its capabilities either, being relatively static adventure games.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This better be for Project Virginia because having two of these Flash things in production at the same time would be disappointing.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
LordDenton said:
You cannot make a quality RPG in Flash.
Why not? I'm just asking because you seem like a pro programmer, who is an expert in Flash programming.

Flash =/= browser based game. Lots of 3D games use Flash in some way.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
micmu said:
Or maybe facebook social crap. The ulimate low. Only appropriate for obsidian :)

Facebook games are vastly superior to anything biowhore produces. :smug:

In fact I tried their POS Dragon Age Legends game, which they advertise as the first "real" game on facebook (a lie, i can think of at least 4 games that follow a mainstream game's blueprint). It was shit. Just another way for EA to milk the abominable retards who play their games.

Topher

Cipher
Could be anything but I'm putting my money on an XBLA/PSN title.

J_C said:
LordDenton said:
You cannot make a quality RPG in Flash.
Why not? I'm just asking because you seem like a pro programmer, who is an expert in Flash programming.

Flash =/= browser based game. Lots of 3D games use Flash in some way.

Nothing prevents you from making a quality RPG. Just so long as thats a quality RPG without 10k polygons for a character's ass and enough bloom to gouge out eye sockets. A quality 2D RPG could easily be done in flash. It may even prove a good idea to do it in flash, chances are flash developers have a lot more experience in creating such things than 3D game developers.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
highly stylized
00003941-photo-planescape-torment.jpg

Radisshu

Prophet
LordDenton said:
sea said:
Was going to say. Scaleform is Flash-based and used by just about every game out there these days, and can presumably be used for a full 2D game as well, not just interface (not 100% sure but it seems logical, you'd have to do engine systems yourself but other than that it'd probably be very easy).

Flash in itself isn't even a bad thing for 2D games not requiring too much in the way of animation - games can be played in a browser and therefore are cross-platform, can run on just about any device you can think of, very low performance requirement, probably fairly easy to port to other platforms if necessary, fast development time, etc. There are some really beautiful Flash games out there, and several even sold as retail titles (Samorost, Machinarium), so don't assume it automatically rules out quality. I dislike Flash overall but it's not a bad choice for this sort of thing.

Also, Machinarium and Samorost are casual games.

Logic fail.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
A 2D fallout game would be very profitable. It would have a similar appeal as Halo Wars and it would be cheap to make.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Kaanyrvhok said:
A 2D fallout game would be very profitable. It would have a similar appeal as Halo Wars and it would be cheap to make.
Not to mention it would probably be a hit if they sold it for $5 on the iPod/Pad/Android in addition to consoles and PC.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Metro said:
Is there such a thing as hardcore adventure games?

interactive fiction with fuck you tier puzzles and/or parsers

or nocturnal illusion

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom