Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian Founder Says He Would 'Love To Make A New Fallout Game

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
https://www.dualshockers.com/obsidian-new-fallout-game/

Obsidian Founder Says He Would 'Love To Make A New Fallout Game'​

"I hung around at Interplay for probably an extra year because I wanted to work on Fallout more."

In a recent chat with DualShockers, Obsidian co-founder Feargus Urquhart revealed his studio's ongoing interest in Fallout.

Earlier this year, rumours began to swirl that prolific RPG (and, apparently, survival game) developer Obsidian Entertainment was looking to return to the Fallout series. Obsidian previously made Fallout: New Vegas in 2010, which in the years since its release has come to be held up by many as the best Bethesda-era Fallout game.

Now, speaking with DualShockers to celebrate Fallout's 25th anniversary, Obsidian founder Feargus Urquhart shared his thoughts about the possibility of the studio making another Fallout game. While Urquhart didn't give away specifics, he did reveal that Obsidian would love to return to the series.

When asked about whether Obsidian would welcome the opportunity to work on a new Fallout game, Urquhart responded assertively. "Of course, if we ever got the opportunity to make another Fallout game, we'd make it. There's not even a question of whether or not we would do it, it's just 'Will the opportunity arise?'" he said. "I hung around at Interplay for probably an extra year because I wanted to work on Fallout more. I love Fallout."

Obsidian has just released the survival game Grounded from Early Access, has a medieval tapestry-themed RPG adventure out next month, and is also working on an Outer Worlds sequel and the closely guarded first-person RPG Avowed. The studio is extremely busy, but once the current schedule clears up, then Urquhart said it will look at what it can do next. "At some point we'll start looking into what those next games are going to be, and I would be surprised if Fallout is not on that list," he told us. "If we were to do Fallout, it has to tie in with what Bethesda is doing with Fallout and a lot of other things, but I would always personally say my hope is that before I ride off into the sunset, I'd love to make another Fallout game."

During the interview, Urquhart also revealed other interesting tidbits, such as the fact that the first iteration of Fallout 3 that Interplay began to work on (even before Van Buren) was being made on a 3D engine called the NDL engine. "The NDL Engine became Netimmerse, which then became Gamebryo, which is the engine they actually ended up using for Fallout 3." Development didn't get far however, and the team was moved to work on Icewind Dale instead.

Fallout: New Vegas received good reviews upon its original release (though infamously missed out on Bethesda's '85% on Metacritic' threshold for bonus payouts by a single percentage point). Over the years, the game's gone through something of a renaissance, with its quests and writing being frequently singled out as some of the best in the series.

New Vegas was notoriously buggy on release, but unofficial patches, mods, and other community fixes over the years have eradicated most of its problems, helping the game reach its potential. With Obsidian now owned by Microsoft rather than Bethesda, the studio wouldn't be confined to using the proprietary engine Bethesda uses for its own games, like Skyrim and Fallout 4. Even though Gamebryo, the Bethesda-made engine used for New Vegas, caused problems for Obsidian, Urquhart still had some kind words for it. "From a game creator's standpoint — I mean world builders, systems people, designers — other than the bugs, it was super easy to work with," Urquhart said. "Changes that Epic are just now making in Unreal 5 in 2022 is stuff that that engine did all the way back in Oblivion time, which is that you have a big world and then it made it very easy for multiple people to work within this big world."

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/y5k4hb/obsidian_founder_says_he_would_love_to_make_a_new/

Someone on Reddit claims Josh Sawyer would not be interested working on a game this size again. How necessary would Sawyer be for another New Vegas like Fallout?

Last edited by a moderator:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
There will only ever be three proper Fallout games, and it's a small miracle that we received a worthy third so far into the decline.

I read the blurb in the OP somewhere online a day or two ago, and simply ignored it. The last ten or so years have taught me to not only bury my hope, which I'd done years ago anyway, but to tamp the dirt down into hardpack and walk away.

A certain class of people is required to design and write great cRPGs, and that class of people effectively no longer exists outside of tiny obscure pockets that may produce a spark or two here and there.

somerandomdude

Learned
Is Fallout: New Vegas regarded as the best one in the series by most codexers? I'm just curious.

Is considered better than bugthesda but worse than classic fallouts.

I played New Vegas near launch, it was one of the buggiest game experiences I've ever had on an alleged complete launch title. In fact, New Vegas is one of the reasons why I wait 1-2 years after launch on these types of open world titles before I even consider touching them.

I had to use the developer console in New Vegas on at least 3 occasions to fix broken/locked quests, within the first like 10-15hrs in the game. The only one I really remember was getting locked in the Brotherhood of Steel questline, and I couldn't fix that one even with the developer console. That was the last straw for me. Shelved the game and haven't touched it again since then.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
The more I see Sawyer tweet the less I would like him near a Fallout game. New Vegas was probably the best one could do under Bethesda and a shitty engine but you have to remember current Obisidian made The Outer Worlds with original Fallout devs and it was garbage. Basically there is no hope except what we make for ourselves.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Why so much hate on Sawyer? PoE was a really enjoyable game as was Icewind Dale and both of those were Sawyer's brain children.
Josh Sawyer is the handmaiden of Decline:
SawyerInterview said:
A friend of mine who used to work in game design says that the biggest problem with roleplaying game stories is that developers mistake writing more for writing better and that other genres are better suited for interactive storytelling. What do you think

If the central narrative is meaningfully interactive, I would classify it as an RPG. That is, I consider interactive storytelling to be the primary defining characteristic of RPGs.

I don't disagree that some designers write too much, but I think that's an indictment of specific content, not the fundamentals behind the genre.

You would not consider old dungeon crawlers as RPGs, then? And do not many adventure games center around interactive storytelling?

I would consider them RPGs by the definitions of their time. If someone were to make Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord today, I would not consider it to be an RPG.
"Fallout was a role-playing game given the context in which it was made. A Fallout-like made in a post-Mass Effect 3 world would not be though." :happytrollboy:

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Yeah that last part sounds retarded. How would Wizardry not be classed as an RPG today? This argument would mean that IWD isn't an RPG because it is so heavily combat focused.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Josh Sawyer is the handmaiden of Decline

yes

a cucked buttplugged concubine of decline, and Infinitron his little bitch

I mean, what kind of an idiot can say this: "Wizardry used to be an RPG, but if someone were to make it today, I would not consider it to be an RPG."

That is identical to saying "unlike a man of the past, if a man is born today, he can be considered a woman or a man"

this whole "definitions change over time" thing is big liberal bullshit that lives in brains of insane people

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
After the fiasko that was The Outer Worlds, my trust in Obsidian (Leonard and Tim) have been shaken quite a bit.
They had a great shot at a return to form, and wow us, and they completely fucked it up for whatever reason I'm sure they deny was their responsibility..

I am curious if they even know how to re-create the ingredients to make a good fallout game, even if they tried.
It's been so many years since they made it, that they seem to have forgotten what made it good...

At this point I would rather give fallout 5 to Vince or Styg to make along with trillions of dollars, they seem to encompass much of that old-school love of RPG making that Interplay and Black Isle had.

Aarwolf

Learned
Why should we even care? There are no talented enough people at Obsidian these days, The Outer Worlds show it.

Whatever they will do, it will be unplayable mess, filled with "quirky" writing and dangerhair propaganda. Nothing to be concerned about, another day at the office.

Slaver1

Savant
NuObsidian's last game was devoid of party interaction and characterization except for the one standout quest that had straight male player characters painstakingly facilitate a lesbian romance for one of the main NPC's. At one point in the game your incel character was locked into conducting a LGBQT ceremony for the one attractive female character in the cartoonish OW hellscape and her soon to be wife.

Last edited:

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
It is my controversial (some would even say brave) opinion that it is also better than 2.
There's nothing controversial here, it just is. NV takes the salient elements and iterations of 2 and molds it into an actually cohesive experience.
I've yet to see a compelling argument that NV is terrible, it's always just either Bethesdrone knuckle-dragging or grognards throwing a tempie tantrum over the first person perspective and Bethesda's shitty engine.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom