Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Obsidian have trademarked "The Outer Worlds", possible title for Cain and Boyarsky's Project Indiana

sstacks

Arcane
The Codex finds a way to declare incline or decline based on a trademark filing consisting of three words without context (one of which is "the") that may or may not be related to the game they are waiting on. All. Is. Right. With. The. World.

:cainapproves:

Autism. Autism never changes.

Sticking with my Zelazny focused exegesis, a game based on his Chronicles of Amber could easily be called the outer worlds; Amber is the center of the multiverse and their royal family can dimension hop at will into what they call shadows—parallel universes. The furthest shadows from Amber might be the outer worlds.

I admit this is all vanishingly unlikely. Pure masturbatory wish fulfillment. But a man can dream.

Does anyone know if they have definitively stated if its an original IP game or not?

Diggfinger

Arcane
The Codex finds a way to declare incline or decline based on a trademark filing consisting of three words without context (one of which is "the") that may or may not be related to the game they are waiting on. All. Is. Right. With. The. World.

:cainapproves:

Autism. Autism never changes.

Sticking with my Zelazny focused exegesis, a game based on his Chronicles of Amber could easily be called the outer worlds; Amber is the center of the multiverse and their royal family can dimension hop at will into what they call shadows—parallel universes. The furthest shadows from Amber might be the outer worlds.

I admit this is all vanishingly unlikely. Pure masturbatory wish fulfillment. But a man can dream.

Does anyone know if they have definitively stated if its an original IP game or not?

Yes.

ArchAngel

Arcane
The Outer Worlds.

Cain and Boyarsky show BioWare how to really make a space opera RPG.

Get ready folks. We're about to enter a new era of incline.
We are reaching incline levels that shouldnt be possible.
Btw how do i rate posts?
Share your sister's nudes with the Codex collective and the magical door will open.
If they are underage then just share it with few members so we can get them banned.

KevinV12000

Arcane
Matt Miller: I want to start out talking about this intriguing corner of your campaign setting in which Pillars II unfolds. Can you tell me about the world of Pillars 2 and what makes it unique, both tonally and geographically?

Josh Sawyer: Sure. When we started on the original Pillars of Eternity, we intentionally skewed conservative because we were doing a Kickstarter that was playing heavily on nostalgia.

What ever it is, let's hope they keep Josh Sawyer well clear of it. As this revealing and telling quote from his interview published today with Game Informer shows, the man simply has no sense regarding what it is he's doing.

No one that gave to make PofE a reality was doing so for "nostalgia" They were doing so because they were tired and sick to death of dumbed-down consolized crap RPGs and wanted an actual game to play, even if they goddamn had to pay for the development themselves.

Wanting quality is not "nostalgia".

This guy and his Excel spreadsheet beep bop boop boop needs to go.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Matt Miller: I want to start out talking about this intriguing corner of your campaign setting in which Pillars II unfolds. Can you tell me about the world of Pillars 2 and what makes it unique, both tonally and geographically?

Josh Sawyer: Sure. When we started on the original Pillars of Eternity, we intentionally skewed conservative because we were doing a Kickstarter that was playing heavily on nostalgia.

What ever it is, let's hope they keep Josh Sawyer well clear of it. As this revealing and telling quote from his interview published today with Game Informer shows, the man simply has no sense regarding what it is he's doing.

No one that gave to make PofE a reality was doing so for "nostalgia" They were doing so because they were tired and sick to death of dumbed-down consolized crap RPGs and wanted an actual game to play, even if they goddamn had to pay for the development themselves.

Wanting quality is not "nostalgia".

This guy and his Excel spreadsheet beep bop boop boop needs to go.

Sawyer was one of the key persons driving the PoE Kickstarter, creating a game which not only turned out a commercial hit (900K+ sold) but was even lauded by some (read Grunker) Codexers as being an excellent game (on Path of the Damned difficulty).

Alas in your infinite random internet-shit posting wisdom he should simply...'go', right?
:kingcomrade:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Cautiously excited based on what we knew so far.
If the engine is based in Unreal, that opens up modding capabilities really outside the box with almost zero effort from Obsidian.

Hopefully they make something worthwhile.

Tim Cain is no longer the same person who was inolved with those games we so cherish. "His" new game will be nothing similar either. Prepare for major disappointment.

exit - citation:

Mistake #1 - Steep Learning Curves: Tim thinks character creation in Fallout, Arcanum and other RPGs was too complex. [...]

Mistake #2 - Letting Math Trump Psychology: [...] Tim wants to develop mechanics that are psychologically satisfying and addictive, even at the expense of mathematical elegance. For example, he says the player's first attack against an enemy should always hit

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-a-better-rpg-seven-mistakes-to-avoid.114809/

I sort of understand him but nonetheless, those principles don't come from the same pool of vision and inspiration that gave us Fallout and Arcanum.

Last edited:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tim Cain is no longer the same person who was inolved with those games we so cherish. "His" new game will be nothing similar either. Prepare for major disappointment.

What makes you say that? I know he spent some time on MMOs, but has he even run his own project since Troika?

ArchAngel

Arcane
Why so negative?
What is actually going to happen is that Tim&Leonard are finally going to get enough time and money to polish and bugfix a game, something they were not able to do since Fallout 1 (I don't count games where they were not leads and not in charge). So my hope this game is another Fallout 1 god level game.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Haven't you people learned anything about blindly trusting oldschool designers who haven't made anything substantial in a decade?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Haven't you people learned anything about blindly trusting oldschool designers who haven't made anything substantial in a decade?

If you’re talking about Fargo, his record was always hit or miss at Interplay and he was really more on the business side during the renaissance. If you’re talking about Obsidian then I laugh in your face.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I am cautiously optimistic in the sense that I'm going to give chance to Cain & Boyarsky game, but I keep in mind that in pretty much any creative field, be it films, games, books, music etc, the creators usually have about 10-15 years when they make their best or good work. For example, there have been just handful of film directors who managed to keep the quality up for longer than that 10-15 years, so don't be disappointed if this won't be masterpiece.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom