Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian working on an RTS?

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Seems so, according to a job advert at the Creative Heads website.

Platforms: PS3, XBOX 360, PC
Project: Upcoming undisclosed title - RTS
Software Utilized: 3D Studio Max, Alias, Photoshop, Softimage, Visio
Relocation: Yes
Start Date: Immediately
Required Spoken Language(s): English
Required Work Auth.: United States

Typo?

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Probably.

I was thinking it was probably just a typo though. Either way that means there's at least one more Obsidian project unannounced, RTS or RPG. Could it be refering to the Aliens RPG? Has that been officially announced yet?

Letum Fol

Novice
Why the hell would anyone make an Aliens RPG. I can't think of a worse setting.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Harry Potter RPG.
Final Fantasy: The Western RPG.
FRIENDS: The RPG
Will & Grace and the Quest for the Holy Tomato
Family Guy: Origins
Terminator: The Fall of SKYNET

Letum Fol

Novice
Jasede said:
Harry Potter RPG.
Final Fantasy: The Western RPG.
FRIENDS: The RPG
Will & Grace and the Quest for the Holy Tomato
Family Guy: Origins
Terminator: The Fall of SKYNET

Have to say, those could all be interesting or at least funny if done right. Aliens just doesn't make sense.

Texas Red

Whiner
Jasede said:
Why not? Explain, cite examples, you know the drill.

Because its archaic SF. Monsters have been around in every culture, too. The relevance and possible immersion is lost because we don't exactly live in chaotic environments filled with ravenous animals. That may be the reason why I haven't seen any famous SF author writing this primitive trash since maybe the 40s. Hostile *intelligent* aliens are still compatible with our lives and fears; that's why everyone is writing about that. Mega corporations ruling the world? Wow, that's sure original, Timmy! The point is that Obsidian are yet again playing greedy bastards. There are a lot better SF settings but they don't care anyway, since they're only after name recognition.

When I sometimes read old SF even from the 40s(Olaf Stapleton) I am continually amazed at how much games and movies are behind. Obsidian had an opportunity to stride forward, to create something truly remarkable. Instead they chose to cash in on an existing license that is a hundred years behind literature.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Letum Fol is just a brave warrior going against the Hivemind.

Besides Anthony Davis quite clearly wrote why they've chosen Aliens universe. In fact he've pointed at the first movie and basically said - "why not? Aliens weren't just meat and all characters were deep and there were lots of dialogues"
If done right Aliens RPG can be a great game. People going nuts, changing while trying to get the fuck out of there while being hunted by really dangerous predators etc. Why not?
Besides Anthony kinda winked at VtmB exp system where you don't get exp for killing but you get it for solutions of different situations.
So you can tell that this game has a potential.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Besides Anthony kinda winked at VtmB exp system where you don't get exp for killing but you get it for solutions of different situations."

Except in BL, this system fell flat because it just ended up making you just run pass enemies 'cause they meant nothing and they wer enormally ignorable. Lame.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hey, how's that lame? It's great, if not used to full potential. I think it's nice that a stealth based character can get as much XP as a warrior-type, just by avoiding all the monsters. If monsters gave XP, wouldn't you end up having melee or fighter-builds getting too many XP?

Sigh...

MetalCraze

Arcane
Volourn said:
Except in BL, this system fell flat because it just ended up making you just run pass enemies 'cause they meant nothing and they wer enormally ignorable. Lame.

Why? You have your mission objectives it's all up to you how to accomplish them. What's so bad about running past enemies? Do that if you will survive running past them. The great thing about VtmB is that you don't need to think "oh I must clean that boring dungeon just to get more exp"

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"If monsters gave XP, wouldn't you end up having melee or fighter-builds getting too many XP?"

Not if designed properly.

"Why? You have your mission objectives it's all up to you how to accomplish them. What's so bad about running past enemies? Do that if you will survive running past them."

Because, it's illogical for enemies to just let you run past them, and not chase. And, usually in most cases, youa re only able to run past them, because the AI is fubared and enemies tend to react slower than the PC. LAME.

You guys aren't true HARDCORE role-players. You should playpnp more where enemies actually don't let PCs run away that easily.

R00fles!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Volourn said:
Because, it's illogical for enemies to just let you run past them, and not chase. And, usually in most cases, youa re only able to run past them, because the AI is fubared and enemies tend to react slower than the PC. LAME.

Which has *nothing* at all to do with the leveling up system, Volly. That's a weakness of the AI and maybe of level design, but not a weakness of the experience system. If it wasn't that easy to run away from enemies, would this experience system still suck? No. Get your facts right.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Which has *nothing* at all to do with the leveling up system, Volly. That's a weakness of the AI and maybe of level design, but not a weakness of the experience system. If it wasn't that easy to run away from enemies, would this experience system still suck? No. Get your facts right."

What ifs. What ifs. What ifs.

If BG2 had real turn absed combat, the Codex would likely give it a blow job like FO; but it doesn't so we'll never fuckin' know.

I deal in reality, and what is actually in the game. The xperience system is not as good as good as it cna be in BL. It's alright; but not as special as some claim it to be. It has the POTENTIAL to be awesome; but it isn't.

Deal with it, SUCKAS.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Volourn said:

so what does it have to do with VtmB exp system?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
If you cna't figure it out, you obviously didn't complete enough quests to take enough points in intelligence to figure it out. R00fles!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Volourn said:
What ifs. What ifs. What ifs.

If BG2 had real turn absed combat, the Codex would likely give it a blow job like FO; but it doesn't so we'll never fuckin' know.

I deal in reality, and what is actually in the game. The xperience system is not as good as good as it cna be in BL. It's alright; but not as special as some claim it to be. It has the POTENTIAL to be awesome; but it isn't.

Deal with it, SUCKAS.

The experience system *is* good. Sure, the actual quests might have potential to be better, but the experience system in itself is great. If you can't grasp the difference between the experience system in itself and the execution of it in the game, then you're stupid.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Except I never said it sucked, I said it 'fell flat'. HUGE difference; but nice try in your lame attempt to put words in my mouth.

Experience by quests as opposed by experience by killing should, by design, limit the amounts of enemies needed. It's also suppsoed to cut down combat as a chore that must be completed yet it doesn't do that - but instead of feeling the need to kill everything; players feel the nedd just to run past enemkies because they MEAN NOTHING. Just polygons to be avoided. *yawn*

That's why REAL role-players prefer experience by combat, quest completion, AND skill use.

That is the BEST SYSTEM EVER. All other systems are basically 'okay'.

R00fles!

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Volourn said:

Arguably in the context of the Aliens franchise it makes more sense for the characters to try to avoid the aliens than to search every nook and cranny to try and wipe out every last alien and farm them for XP. (unless they are specifically on a bug hunt mission)

It's just up to the devs to make the aliens' AI and capabilities sufficiently threatening that they're not easy to run past.

deuxhero

Arcane
Durwyn said:
Letum Fol said:
Why the hell would anyone make an Aliens RPG. I can't think of a worse setting.

James Bond RPG...

...oh wait...

That could work acctualy, all that would have to be done is make the PC a 00 agent other then Bond. Sure AP looks like it will suck, but there are plenty of other reasons.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Bluebottle said:
Seems so, according to a job advert at the Creative Heads website.

Platforms: PS3, XBOX 360, PC
Project: Upcoming undisclosed title - RTS
Software Utilized: 3D Studio Max, Alias, Photoshop, Softimage, Visio
Relocation: Yes
Start Date: Immediately
Required Spoken Language(s): English
Required Work Auth.: United States

Typo?

Link?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom