Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian's new game is The Outer Worlds, a first-person sci-fi RPG set on a corporate space colony

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Leonard Boyarsky; Obsidian Entertainment; Private Division; The Outer Worlds; Tim Cain

Yesterday was The Game Awards, the annual video game awards show hosted by cheerful industry propagandist Geoff Keighley. As usual, there were a bunch of premieres and trailers unveiled at the event. Even BioWare showed up to remind us that Dragon Age still exists. But we were all watching for one reason only, for that moment when Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky went up on the stage to reveal Obsidian's new RPG, now officially confirmed as The Outer Worlds. It's a colorful first-person sci-fi action-RPG set on a corporate-controlled space colony on the edge of the galaxy. Here's the announcement trailer and the description from the game's Steam page:

The Outer Worlds is a new single-player first-person sci-fi RPG from Obsidian Entertainment and Private Division.

In The Outer Worlds, you awake from hibernation on a colonist ship that was lost in transit to Halcyon, the furthest colony from Earth located at the edge of the galaxy, only to find yourself in the midst of a deep conspiracy threatening to destroy it. As you explore the furthest reaches of space and encounter various factions, all vying for power, the character you decide to become will determine how this player-driven story unfolds. In the corporate equation for the colony, you are the unplanned variable.

Key Features
  • The player-driven story RPG: In keeping with the Obsidian tradition, how you approach The Outer Worlds is up to you. Your choices affect not only the way the story develops; but your character build, companion stories, and end game scenarios.
  • You can be flawed, in a good way: New to The Outer Worlds is the idea of flaws. A compelling hero is made by the flaws they carry with them. While playing The Outer Worlds, the game tracks your experience to find what you aren't particularly good at. Keep getting attacked by Raptidons? Taking the Raptiphobia flaw gives you a debuff when confronting the vicious creatures, but rewards you with an additional character perk immediately. This optional approach to the game helps you build the character you want while exploring Halcyon.
  • Lead your companions: During your journey through the furthest colony, you will meet a host of characters who will want to join your crew. Armed with unique abilities, these companions all have their own missions, motivations, and ideals. It's up to you to help them achieve their goals, or turn them to your own ends.
  • Explore the corporate colony: Halcyon is a colony at the edge of the galaxy owned and operated by a corporate board. They control everything... except for the alien monsters left behind when the terraforming of the colony’s two planets didn’t exactly go according to plan. Find your ship, build your crew, and explore the settlements, space stations, and other intriguing locations throughout Halcyon.

The Outer Worlds appears to be aimed squarely at fans of Fallout who are disappointed with recent offerings from Bethesda, and it's certainly being received that way. We know the game has been in development since 2016, so it's not surprising that it's scheduled for release next year. Screenshots are available on the Steam page and on the game's official website. It looks like there are also going to be some previews coming out later today, so stay tuned.

Wesp5

Arcane
It reminds me of "Rage" and "The Precursors" from Deep Shadows. Otherwise as I expected, a first person view FPS/RPG hybrid! I hope it's at least as good as Bloodlines and with MS money behind them, they should be able to finish it themselves this time ;)!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Screenshots:

ss_a1de8cccb606fa0896b42c127318c7a34d35a98a.1920x1080.jpg
ss_4fe162d9752bc89c2de14ba549ffb6a6260b09aa.1920x1080.jpg
ss_1467a74c1101f1a2a503a87568ace9a8b1f5a613.1920x1080.jpg
ss_1cc823f04b42e13a8cf479f4bf74e849cc289967.1920x1080.jpg
ss_7993b0815010d22bb8affd39cfbeb97c78e35b50.1920x1080.jpg
ss_6b6777564affce8b3ac2c229f05a6021a8dc6e15.1920x1080.jpg
ss_8403a93e809ee193166af42103671d88c19983de.1920x1080.jpg

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
For a Cainyarsky project I expected something, well, less flashy. This game looks like a Bioshock / Borderlands mashup in NMS color theme and cartoony ethics of Molyneux' Fables, targeted at consoles front-and-centre. While the plot/dialogue/choices could probably still be incline, I seriously doubt gameplay mechanics will.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Don't understand the people who are looking at this and not thinking "New Vegas clone! New Vegas clone!" way before they think of Borderlands, No Man's Sky or BioShock.

Maybe it's because I saw the screenshots before I watched the trailer.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
For a Cainyarsky project I expected something, well, less flashy. This game looks like a Bioshock / Borderlands mashup in NMS color theme, targeted at consoles front-and-centre. While the plot/dialogue/choices could probably still be incline, I seriously doubt gameplay mechanics will.

This. Looks extremely goofy and garish. Like, wtf? Also the constant talk about eevul corporaishuns don't fill me with confidence in an original and surprising narrative.

Also this has been in development only since 2016 and they wanna release it next year? 2+ years of a development time for an epic open-world RPG by a mid-size studio? Oh boy...

Right now my gaydar tells me this game is gonna be very gay and my gaydar is rarely wrong.

Don't understand the people who are looking at this and not thinking "New Vegas clone! New Vegas clone!" way before they think of Borderlands, No Man's Sky or Borderlands.

Maybe it's because I saw the screenshots before I watched the trailer.
This is the order of things I thought: Rick and Morty, Borderlands, Fallout Bozar, Fallout 10mm pistol, Rick and Morty

Van-d-all

Erudite
For a Cainyarsky project I expected something, well, less flashy. This game looks like a Bioshock / Borderlands mashup in NMS color theme, targeted at consoles front-and-centre. While the plot/dialogue/choices could probably still be incline, I seriously doubt gameplay mechanics will.

This. Looks extremely goofy and garish. Like, wtf? Also the constant talk about eevul corporaishuns don't fill me with confidence in an original and surprising narrative.

Also this has been in development only since 2016 and they wanna release it next year? 2+ years of a development time for an epic open-world RPG by a mid-size studio? Oh boy...

Right now my gaydar tells me this game is gonna be very gay and my gaydar is rarely wrong.
Yeah, I had to even add the Molenaux Fable mention, because that was the vibe the whole trailer, and especially the "choice" part gave me, I just couldn't exactly pin it for a while. The whole push of modern games to go murderclown goofy-grim is way outdated and irked me even when it was a thing back in the day. It belongs to the trash with all the '2000 era nuMetal garbage that sparked it.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Cliche on top of cliche on top of cliche, the "rpg".

Cant wait for more about stremlined mechanics made for morons.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Space Worlds is plural yet there seems to be only one planet you play on. Shit.

Just kidding. Stoked for this. Got a strong New Vegas vibe going on there. People who whine about zany humor should remember that all the marketing for Fallout was centered on making your enemies explode like a 'blood sausage' and that the game was filled with humor. Anyway, hope they'll actually do some QA on this one for once.

EDIT: Ah, they do mention two alien worlds being the colony. Wonder how travel will be done.

Van-d-all

Erudite
It's just as if the success of Battle Royalle games takes it's toll even in style of genres as distant as cRPG, and even supposedly dystopian games now have to look like fucking Radical Heights, effectively putting the whole setting on it's head as if the "Prayer of Rollerboys" & "The Running Man" were not fringe visions, but the essence of source material. Just wtf...

And then I realized it's probably all about the god damn Hunger Games all over again. Isn't it?

Last edited:

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Could be great, hope it's great! Doubt it'll be bad. Not sure at all it'll be good. Considering this is motherfucking Tim Cain's and Leonard Boiiiiiyarski's DREAM GAME I didn't know their dreams were low energy LSD trips while watching Rick and Morty after Cowboy Beebop abridged marathon.

Nothing in trailer implies what this duo has been known for: new, fresh, daring ideas packed in slick and sexy esthetics, that take place in familiar yet new and exciting settings and with underlying RPG infrastructure which enables player to go wild with all sorts of choices and expected and completely unexpected consequences where world itself is giant NPC who reacts to havoc you spread while running on top of his open world chubby belly.

What I'm tryin to say boyyys is that let's hope trailer guy is Feargus' wife's brother (or "her new male friend") and that this formulaic, sterile, yawn inducing trailer has very little to do with game itself. It surely has nothing to do with Tim and Leo's past work which made half of Codex woke until 4 am. In short: it didn't fucking grab my attention's dick and I felt nothing. No anger, no excitment, no disappointment. Just nothing! It's...bland as promo trailer for Borderlands II's Thanksgiving DLC or Netflix youtube commercial.

Still, Tim and Leo earned a chance a long time ago. You don't have to shoot that chance in the head, you know that RPG auntie Cleo?

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Also announcing trailer for magna opus from two biggest RPG muses and it boils down to basically 2 min. long exposition. That's just well...not creative, like at all!

For a game which will critique corporations trailer sure came off as awfully corporate. Almost like generic EA, Hollywood, Papa Johns or Ubisoft trailer

Just tryin to say: hate the trailer, don't hate the game. Yet, anyway...

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Like what I see so far, looks like Mystery Theater 2000 inspired zaniness with some original Fallout humor and vibe.... to be honest looking at the usual FPS drivel offered by mainstream publishers this looks to be fun
Wouldn’t it be fucking fantastic if this turned out to be the “new” Fallout New Vegas that everybody is hyping this out to be? While Fallout 76 has proven the incompetence of Bethesda this game might very well have been the secret weapon that got Microsoft to buy Obsidian

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom