Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Octopath Traveler Series Thread - Octopath Traveler II Out Now!

Jinn

Arcane
So I think I've found the best way to play this game in a nicely challenging way. I don't normally adhere to blatant self-limitations/alterations in a game system, but I believe this game deserves special consideration. Admittedly, I feel the developers bit off more than they could chew with the eight different starting points for characters. I admire their dedication to not having a completely level-scaled system, but it has its many problems. For any new player who wants the optimal challenge without silly self-impositions like solo runs, or single job runs, I think this is a nice compromise.

"Evasive Maneuvers" Skill: It's essential to acquire this passive Scholar job skill as soon as possible. It reduces random encounter rates, which ultimately slows your level progression in a natural way. This is really just the ingame "Hard Mode." You can get this skill with Cyrus' default job, or decide who you want to dual-class as Scholar in your party and seek out the Scholar temple as soon as possible. It's the first passive skill that unlocks for Scholar.

Two Separate Parties of Four:
You are urged from the beginning to collect each individual party member, play through their starting story, and fight every battle that comes your way. You should do that, but it's going to involve some patience from the player and an interest in the world being presented to you. While you're doing this, stick to a primary first party while switching out someone for their origin story each time. This will get each new character you don't want in your initial party to about level 6-7, while your main party gains the experience they need to tackle the 2nd chapters coming. You can decide pretty easily with basic knowledge as an RPG player which members you want in party 1 or party 2 with a quick glance at their class names. I decided who I wanted in my first party mainly arbitrarily by looking at the characters on the world map and assuming what part they would play. Either way, the dual-job system allows for a fair amount of freedom in your party composition regardless. By the time you get around to starting to play with your second party, they are going to be extremely under-leveled, but you should have a lot of leftover equipment to set them up with. At that point, you'll be able to level them quickly to the point where you can set off without being overpowered juggernauts. With your parties separated in such a way, you'll basically just be going to each character's 2nd chapter before you move on to each character's 3rd, and 4th, ie - you'll be completing chapters as a party rather than b-lining through a single character's story.

So with these two simple approaches, you'll essentially be setting the game to "Hard." The reason I wanted to post this was because when you're not over-leveled this game's combat absolutely shines, both in normal encounters and boss battles. It is worth balancing this game for yourself, because there is a ton of fun to be had that would be woefully overlooked if you just steam-rolled everything. Acquire really needs to actually add a Hard option in their next game, or figure out a better way to balance it to avoid over-empowering the player in such an open world without them realizing how its happening. With all that said, even when I've been overpowered in a few areas of the game, I've still been having a great time, which says a lot about the solid foundation this game has despite its problems.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
What's supposed to be good about this game anyway? Having looked into it, it feels like some design-by-committee dreck, painfully formulaic and thoroughly bland and soulless. Neither the combat nor the writing nor the graphics nor the VA nor the soundtrack leave any decent impression. It's banalshitboring, overpriced, and DRM-ridden to boot. If someone here actually does enjoy it, clue me in how that happened, because I genuinely cannot tell how you could. Game's rote and hackneyed as fuck.

Jinn

Arcane
What's supposed to be good about this game anyway? Having looked into it, it feels like some design-by-committee dreck, painfully formulaic and thoroughly bland and soulless. Neither the combat nor the writing nor the graphics nor the VA nor the soundtrack leave any decent impression. It's banalshitboring, overpriced, and DRM-ridden to boot. If someone here actually does enjoy it, clue me in how that happened, because I genuinely cannot tell how you could. Game's rote and hackneyed as fuck.

You've clearly made up your mind about it by watching a little bit of gameplay, but I'll take the bait and give a brief rundown of what has been enjoyable for me/what drew me in the first place.

Nostalgia: Being someone who grew up playing SNES-era JRPGs, the aesthetics were the first thing to interest me back when this was first announced. Seeing 16-bit pixel artwork presented in this way is interesting, and boy is some of it absolutely excellent. Some of the enemy and boss spritework is stunning and a ton of fun to see in motion. Besides that, it clearly taps into that era's classic JRPG gameplay style. If you didn't like those types of games, I can't see how you would be interested in a title such as this. This is a game created by people who grew up playing those same games and that have a great love for them.

Free-form Approach: While there is a clear path to take if you want, and recommended levels for each area, you are essentially free to go where you want from the beginning. If you want to take on a battle 20 levels above your current ability, you absolutely can and win, reaping great rewards. I didn't do this much myself, as it seemed like a fast-track to becoming overpowered, but I appreciate that the option is available. As a big fan of the SaGa series, you can see the influence running through the entire game, from this initial freedom to go anywhere, to collecting the eight different party members and building a party to your liking. The dual-job class systems adds a fun layer to character development, and give you the freedom to make a ton of different class combinations with your party.

Combat: Takes some of the best elements of classic turn-based JRPGs and adds a few layers on top. Playing the game about 3-4 levels below the recommended chapter levels leaves you with a challenging, tactical, and fun system that has you utilizing every skill, spell, and attack you are able to. It's like a mixture of Shin Megami Tensei, SaGa, and Final Fantasy systems. Some of the mid-chapter boss fights can be extremely challenging if you're approaching the game this way, with a lot of them having special mechanics that appear through different stages of the combat. Some of these fights have been some of the most entertaining and involved I've ever had in a JRPG.

World-Building: The world seems like your pretty standard fantasy fare when you first hop into it, and in many ways it is. What sets it apart is the way it handles NPCs. Each NPC has their own little story that you can explore, sometimes along with sidequests that will have you meeting them repeatedly in different locations throughout your travels. It gives you a more intimate look at the communities you're entering, the people you're dealing with, and sometimes the impact you're having on their lives, both good and bad. This is unique to the genre, and the only other JRPGs I've seen do it well is the Trails series. Some people couldn't care less about this kind of added detail, but it's something I absolutely love.

Vignette-style Storytelling: Another thing other people might not much care for, but I really enjoy exploring each individual character's stories.

Anyway, this is all the time I have for this post now. Is it overpriced? Yeah, probably. They should have charged something more like $40-$45 for it, would have still made a good profit, and would have avoided a lot of the backlash in the process. It's not the most amazing JRPG I've played, but it is still very good and was exactly what I was in the mood for. I think any fan of classic JRPGs will find a great deal to enjoy in this game. It is unabashedly inspired and influenced by all the games I mentioned above, but the way it all comes together does present a wholly unique experience. I would definitely not call this game soulless: it was very obviously made with a lot of love.

Last edited:

newtmonkey

Arcane
Jinn
You sold me on the game and it just happens that Greenmangaming has it 20% off, so instead of paying nearly 8000 yen I could get it for a little more than half that. I just put an hour into it as the thief character, and am loving it so far. Has there ever been a JRPG where your thief can actually steal from townspeople before this? I can't think of any.

I think people are selling it short by calling it a love letter to 16-bit JRPGs, the majority of which were completely linear Final Fantasy IV or Dragon Quest V clones. Like you said, the closest thing is the (unfairly detested) SaGa series.

Jinn

Arcane
You sold me on the game and it just happens that Greenmangaming has it 20% off, so instead of paying nearly 8000 yen I could get it for a little more than half that. I just put an hour into it as the thief character, and am loving it so far. Has there ever been a JRPG where your thief can actually steal from townspeople before this? I can't think of any.

I think people are selling it short by calling it a love letter to 16-bit JRPGs, the majority of which were completely linear Final Fantasy IV or Dragon Quest V clones. Like you said, the closest thing is the (unfairly detested) SaGa series.

I also got mine on sale at GMG for $50 (and it would have been $46 had I waited one more week). I feel I've already gotten my money's worth and then some. I also love the exploration skills you can use, particularly Scrutinize and Inquire, as those are the two skills that give you glimpses into the daily lives and relationships of the NPCs beyond their normal dialogue. Duel and Provoke are also great, because you can challenge almost every interactable NPC to a duel with those two. The game definitely has a bit of a western RPG feel mixed in with the JRPG (ala SaGa). Hope you continue to enjoy it as you play further! Would highly recommend approaching it as I highlighted a couple posts back for maximum challenge.

Also, in terms of voice-overs - I would highly recommend people use the Japanese voice acting or none at all.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Jinn is correct, more or less.

I had higher hopes for the 'down to earth, no supa-epiku cringy JRPG chosen one with improbable princess love interest bullshit', but Octopath ends up (1) a bit too mundane in the boring way, (2) and later on getting some of that epic back in a silly way. Still, I think, ignoring the main plot and even the majority of the character plots, just the experience of being able to choose your characters' jobs, swap equipment and skills around very freely, then go (almost) anywhere you want in the overworld - is quite nice.

The Japanese VA is decent, though maybe I felt that way because I was mostly listening to only the first couple seconds anyway. No voice is just fine. Personally I also preferred some characters over others - H'aanit & Olberic are relatively more grounded, while I ended up basically skipping everything Ophelia because of how cringy Mary Suey anime "goodness me" the whole thing was. But even with an emo "can't trust people man" guy like Therion, Octopath tends to not get too cringy.

Jinn

Arcane
I'm just about through with all the four chapters for my first party: Therion (my first pick, thus locked-in character), Alfyn, H'aanit, and Primrose. I've enjoyed the stories for all of them, but I'd say my favorite of the four have been Alfyn's and H'aanit's. I think maybe because those two are even more down to earth than Therion and Primrose's. Overall, I like that feeling from the outset of each character not being particularly special - just a strong character embarking on a journey, whether it be literal or figurative. I think I'm just so over-saturated with over-the-top videogame situations that an approach like this is something that tends to engage me simply because the way it's framed is different. So for me, that mundanity is certainly present, but it's not boring or a detractor. I know there are a lot of people who feel differently about that and I totally understand why they might, but these simple tales about growth tend to leave me smiling at the end of each chapter. I mostly agree with Tigranes that the main draw tends to be the gameplay and sense of adventure, but I've really been enjoying the narrative aspects as well, including uncovering some of the world's lore. I'm kind of hoping they set the sequel in the same world, maybe on the continent far to the east.

One more positive that I forgot to mention was that I'm impressed with how tight the game's economy tends to remain through a great part of the game, at least with the way I'm playing. I like the feeling of having to think carefully about what I buy, when to buy it, and how it'll factor into a particular dual-job build. A lot of JRPGs seem to tip the scale pretty early in favor of the player when it comes to currency, but despite this being an open world with a lot of sidequests that reward money, I still have to think about what kind of consumables I'll even be able to safely purchase.

And that soundtrack, of course! So damn good. Actually, I like all of the sound design. Just a very pretty sounding game in general.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
This game is so bad.

Now that I'm at my home computer I can write a bit more:

• plot is nonexistent for the first part of the game, I guess maybe it gets better later but I've heard that it's quite bad overall
  • all the characters are boring, some of them are tolerable in a 'this is cliched but it's cute' way, others make you want to gnaw your arm off
  • the localization is god-awful. H'aanit has been butchered. She's substantially more tolerable if you turn on the Japanese voices, but her retardation is still present in the subs
  • gameplay is boring, I mean I'm not expecting Dark Souls from an old school JRPG but this somehow manages to be more boring than anything I ever played 20 years ago, let alone what newer JRPGs can offer
  • so. much. fucking. shit dialogue. and you can't skip through it easily because of the way it appears on the screen. I'm a fast reader, even if I wanted to read this retarded dialogue I would still want much faster, slicker dialogue responsiveness.
  • the music is really forgettable.

However, I will say that the graphics are pretty great. So, it has one redeeming aspect. Which, if you're any kind of JRPG fan, you shouldn't give two shits about.

When I saw the pricing for this game on Steam I couldn't believe it. It's astonishing that anyone would buy this over, say, DQ11.

Last edited:

IceyD

Scholar
I'm enjoying it, 18 hours in. The battle system is legit good, lots of little decisions involved and the fundamentals are simple. I'd say the boss sprites are the best part of the game and what I mainly look forward to.

The character stories are poorly presented IMO. They make me sleepy and I've started to skip through. Music and environments are pretty limited as well. If there's only 4 chapters per character, the world seems way too small at this point to be near the end.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Depends on your tolerance levels. You don't really need to deliberately grind in Octopath (I was fine with zero such grinding until the optional boss at the end), but the way they broke it up into 8 little stories that all run on the exact same formula does make it into a bit of "talk to 3 guys, walk through 3 very similar maps, fight the boss, rinse and repeat".

It's a good, charming game, but it does run its formula dry.
It seems it has similar problems as Braverly Default then.

Bravely Default was underwhelming. That was the last time (2014) I trusted game analysts and press. The story is pretty stupid and the characters are stupider still. Tiz is like a do-gooder zombie; let's save the world because I don't have anything else to do. The most interesting is Agnes but that's not a lot, and she fell headfirst for... "the lie". Ringabel and Edea are just filler, even annoying filler. Egil was... just a kid.

But let's not talk extensively about Bravely here.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Looks very cuckish and infantile. Why play this?

Well, if you're a battle-hardened PC user, maybe... but in consoles, there's lots of games like this. I mean, look at all the Marios and usual Nintendo stuff, they look (and are) oriented to 3-year-olds, but that in itself doesn't bar them from being good.

Patapon would equally look silly, or Banjo Kazooie.

Don't be so jaded.

Reinhardt

Arcane
So i've started playing it with cleric, collected everyone and now i want to start from the beginning with another character. Ophilia is just... meh. Healing is nice, but not that much needed for now and her guide ability i've used only few times to complete substories.
So which character is best for occupying permanent spot in party? I'm thinking about Cyrus for weakness detection and talking to people or Tressa for MONEY. Maybe Therion so i won't need to run dungeons twice to open purple chests but he's pretty useless in combat.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It really doesn't matter, but I used Therion and I was happy with my choice.

thesecret1

Arcane
So I tried this game after having it shilled to me and holy shit, do I regret it. Right off the bat, I got greeted by the usual shit JRPG menu combat with a couple quirks that don't really do anything to make the combat more tolerable. It's the same mindless slog as always, but okay, this was expected. So I go on and see the crafty Nips threw in another unholy element of gaming cancer, namely random encounters. Random encounters out the ass, one every five seconds of walking or so, I guess so that the grind feels a little less monotone as they force you to fight trashmobs over and over again instead of, I don't know, designing some semblance of proper encouter design that'd be fun to play. Of course, you can't autoresolve this shit or speed up the animations because fuck you. But alright, this is still nothing I wouldn't come to expect from the slant-eyed chucklefucks, I've powered through worse games if other stuff was good. And so the grinning samurai, seeing my defiance, decided to bring out the big guns and show that he is not to be outdone by filthy gaijin when it comes to cancer. He had the enemies fucking scale in level after progressing through the story, meaning all the random encounters weren't just retardedly frequent, they were also a pain in the ass since the scaled up enemies were spongy as hell. Couple this with the game being designed with heavy backtracking in mind. A genius stratagem by the Jap, I was truly caught off guard by this design decision. Then comes the story and shows the beginning being about wasting a dozen hours or so trekking around the world and collecting characters that do not interact with each other whatsoever and basically do not exist outside of being faceless murderhobos the moment their story chapter ends. A veritable coup de grace to kill any remaining thoughts about continuing the playthrough. This game has beaten me, I capitulate, I have nowhere near enough patience, nor a sufficiently lobotimized brain, to endure the tedium and reach the purely hypothetical good parts. The Japanese have won and are now drinking sake on top of my excitement's grave.

Avoid this shit at all costs.

Theldaran

Liturgist
So I tried this game after having it shilled to me and holy shit, do I regret it. Right off the bat, I got greeted by the usual shit JRPG menu combat with a couple quirks that don't really do anything to make the combat more tolerable. It's the same mindless slog as always, but okay, this was expected. So I go on and see the crafty Nips threw in another unholy element of gaming cancer, namely random encounters. Random encounters out the ass, one every five seconds of walking or so, I guess so that the grind feels a little less monotone as they force you to fight trashmobs over and over again instead of, I don't know, designing some semblance of proper encouter design that'd be fun to play. Of course, you can't autoresolve this shit or speed up the animations because fuck you. But alright, this is still nothing I wouldn't come to expect from the slant-eyed chucklefucks, I've powered through worse games if other stuff was good. And so the grinning samurai, seeing my defiance, decided to bring out the big guns and show that he is not to be outdone by filthy gaijin when it comes to cancer. He had the enemies fucking scale in level after progressing through the story, meaning all the random encounters weren't just retardedly frequent, they were also a pain in the ass since the scaled up enemies were spongy as hell. Couple this with the game being designed with heavy backtracking in mind. A genius stratagem by the Jap, I was truly caught off guard by this design decision. Then comes the story and shows the beginning being about wasting a dozen hours or so trekking around the world and collecting characters that do not interact with each other whatsoever and basically do not exist outside of being faceless murderhobos the moment their story chapter ends. A veritable coup de grace to kill any remaining thoughts about continuing the playthrough. This game has beaten me, I capitulate, I have nowhere near enough patience, nor a sufficiently lobotimized brain, to endure the tedium and reach the purely hypothetical good parts. The Japanese have won and are now drinking sake on top of my excitement's grave.

Avoid this shit at all costs.

Looks like JRPGs aren't your cup of tea, but still you have an animu avatar...?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Enemies have set level scaling.

For instance:
Area 1 Level 5-9
Area 2 Level 8-13
Etc.

thesecret1

Arcane
Looks like JRPGs aren't your cup of tea, but still you have an animu avatar...?
Sengoku Rance is great, as are many other games from Japan. Unfortunately, there are also many games ruined by irrational Japanese obsession with mindless and repetitive grind, such as this one.

Jinn

Arcane
Unfortunately, there are also many games ruined by irrational Japanese obsession with mindless and repetitive grind, such as this one.

You don't have to grind at all in Octopath. In fact, the game is much better if you don't grind and use this skill that I mentioned in an above post.

"Evasive Maneuvers" Skill: It's essential to acquire this passive Scholar job skill as soon as possible. It reduces random encounter rates, which ultimately slows your level progression in a natural way. This is really just the ingame "Hard Mode." You can get this skill with Cyrus' default job, or decide who you want to dual-class as Scholar in your party and seek out the Scholar temple as soon as possible. It's the first passive skill that unlocks for Scholar.

Beyond that, you can take your party into over-leveled territory at any time, fight 2-3 challenging boss-like battles, and be over-leveled as fuck after if you want.

fucking scale in level after progressing through the story

Also, the game does not have level-scaling. The enemy levels are static for every area in the game throughout. It's alright if you don't like the game, but at least be accurate in your criticisms.

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
So i'm playing as loli trader. My party is ~30 lvl right now. And i actually never payed for anything after finishing her prologue. Including shops.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom