Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Octopath Traveler Series Thread - Octopath Traveler II Out Now!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Japanese Square Enix charge the full-prices even on lower budget games, have their own (not so) regional pricing chart, and (almost) never do more than 50% discount.

Alfgart

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
So I saw this game on the Xbox Pass and decided to give it a try, since I was already a huge fan of the soundtrack, which I consider the best videogame OST of the last decade. Started with Cyrus. My first impressions were beautiful graphics, superb music, decent writing, but tiny maps and repetitive gameplay with too simple quests. And then I got all characters and reached Chapter 2, and everything started to make sense. Quests are not so simple, some can be resolved in more than 1 way. Maps are small enough to not get tedious. Combat is not only about breaking enemies. There is some real tragedy and mature themes in some stories. The game is brilliantly designed and executed in what it tries to be (a true example of the old meme "good for what it is")

I got to the optional final boss, but I know I have to grind all my characters now for that last battle, so I probably just leave it there, complete some side quests and be done with it. Even this gem is not free of the jRPG sin of hard grinding.
I loved the game though and 1000% recommend it, and I feel bad for not having played it before. But I'll admit that half the reason I liked it so much is how fucking good the OST is. Stillsnow or S'warkii, with that mix of godlike music and beautiful art style is a truly memorable experience.
Instead of begging for ports of playstation's popamole trash to PC we should be asking for more Switch stuff like this

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
This one looks more interesting because of the industrial era setting, at least. For Octo 1, I was enjoying it for a while but lost interest after recruiting all the characters. None of the stories seemed particularly great and there was a lot of overlap in themes. If you can't write one good story, you shouldn't try to write eight.

Percy

Cipher
I stopped playing when the boy who got kidnappeds mum beat me when I challenged her when playing that ex knight dude. How did they expect me to go find him? Bitch you find him.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Don't forget

Complete the Ruins of Hornburg optional dungeon to unlock the path to the secret ending.
To unlock this dungeon, you’ll need to complete two side-quests: “Daughter of the Dark God” and “In Search of the Father“.
Start “Daughter of the Dark God” by travelling to Ravus Manos in the Clifflands and challenging a guard to a duel.
Start “In Search of the Father” by talking to Kit — they’ll appear outside the first city you select at the start of your game.
After completing these two quest, travel to the West S’wark’ii Trail and talk to the Impresario to unlock the Ruins of Hornburg dungeon.

Complete the high-level dungeon and defeat the boss at the end to unlock a very special, secret ending.

Artyoan

Arbiter
Not a very impressive video. Accents not doing any favors. Other than that its pretty much what I thought it was going to be. Same formula. The sea travel likely won't amount to all that much.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'll just talk about the sequel here. I played the demo for Octo II. If you like the first game, this will probably be for you. If you didn't like the first, you likely won't enjoy this. "Likely" because there might be a small chance. There's fast forward options, general QoL improvements, and slight improvements overall. The structure is otherwise the same.

This and Ishin! will be my late February/March games.

Rafidur

Learned
Don't want to pay money for this, SE is going to blow it all on gacha, NFTs, and hookers.

S.torch

Arbiter
What is the point of making a game in pixel-art if you're going to ruin it by putting hundreds of processed effects on top?

Artyoan

Arbiter
I'll just talk about the sequel here. I played the demo for Octo II. If you like the first game, this will probably be for you. If you didn't like the first, you likely won't enjoy this. "Likely" because there might be a small chance. There's fast forward options, general QoL improvements, and slight improvements overall. The structure is otherwise the same.

This and Ishin! will be my late February/March games.
I'll play it then but on a deep sale. I did like the first one quite a bit despite it being so formulaic.

Modron

Arcane
I'll play it then but on a deep sale. I did like the first one quite a bit despite it being so formulaic.
Squeenix doesn't deep discount anymore, they top out at 50% for the majority of their catalog. In other news you guys should try the Wandering Sword demo as well takes a bit longer to get started than OT 2's of course.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Squeenix doesn't deep discount anymore, they top out at 50% for the majority of their catalog. In other news you guys should try the Wandering Sword demo as well takes a bit longer to get started than OT 2's of course.
Maybe, but they tend to hit that 50% off at like a week or so after release, last I checked. ;) (Well, maybe like a month. Pretty quickly anyhow.)

Artyoan

Arbiter
50% is good enough for me. I don't remember what I bought the first one for, wouldn't have felt ripped off at $30.

This game is like they intentionally set out to be as generic as possible with every single character, item, quest, and line of dialogue.
That was the idea. Bravely Default and Octopath Traveler are crumbs thrown at people who hate current Final Fantasies because they aren't like 1-6.

Duraframe300

Arcane
This game is like they intentionally set out to be as generic as possible with every single character, item, quest, and line of dialogue.
That was the idea. Bravely Default and Octopath Traveler are crumbs thrown at people who hate current Final Fantasies because they aren't like 1-6.
Neither really feels like 1-6 FF though. Like at all. I got more DQIV vibes from octopath than I did get FF vibes from either title.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom