Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Of Blades & Tails - Diablo and Stoneshard-inspired turn-based RPG where you play as a fox

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg

https://af.gog.com/en/game/of_blades_and_tails?as=1649904300

ss-f65f6e7a7025d8aa169070517f887b345e0d3576-600x338.jpg

ss-465339282fb822b51eb7f7400378bc6c6848000f-1920x1080.jpg

ABOUT THIS GAME
overview-content-title.png

A turn-based RPG that is action-oriented but rewards a thoughtful approach. Discover a fantastic land populated by different animal tribes.
You play Riff, a clever member of the tribe of foxes. A chain of unfortunate events involves you in a quest of vital importance to all the peace-loving creatures of the realm. You will have to leave your home village and explore the world to become strong enough to stand up to evil. (In other words: There will be a storyline but it's still in the making!)

The game is inspired by classic Hack & Slays like Diablo and turn-based RPGs like Rogue's Tale or Stoneshard. However there is no permadeath in this game. Your progress is always saved once you enter a new area.

combat-loot-opt.gif

As you explore the land, you'll gain experience and unlock new abilities. Not all inhabitants will be friendly to you. Some will help you with information, others are only interested in trading, and still others will get in your way.
Improve your equipment and collect useful resources in the environment to have a decisive advantage in battle.

features-content-title.png

• Turn-based Combat that allows for quick action or strategic planning
  • An Open World with lots of places to discover
  • A fresh, animalistic setting in a vibrant pixel art look
  • Procedural generated dungeons and caves
  • A Main Storyline and various side quests
  • Classless Character Development with many abilities to unlock
  • Equipment of different qualities and Unique Items with special powers
  • Hunt giant bugs or gather herbs and other useful resources
  • Many Enemy Types with different skills that may require tactical decisions
  • Trade with rats and other profit-seeking animals
  • ... and more to come!

The game is still in early development and more details will follow!

cave-spider.gif

Don't forget to wishlist - it helps me a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:

jackofshadows

Magister
Stoneshard-inspired
:roll: Yeah I bet these guys liked the idea of aiming for the EA with carbon-copy of a game and then make some $$ with vague promises and reworking stuff untill tany interest will drop to zero. What's up with the furry appeal, anyway?

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1768780/view/3126061077806761680

Hey everyone!

The demo is now finally available on Steam. Big thank you to everyone who played & tested it over the last weeks and helped with their feedback!

I think it now gives a good preview of what Of Blades & Tails is about! Of course this is only the beginning. Many features are still missing and there's plenty of room for way more quality of life improvements.

The demo contains 3 quests, 2 dungeons, many locations to discover, lots of dangers and even more loot including 1 unique weapon (for now)!
Playtime is about 2-3 hours.

Roadmap 2022

So talking about features and improvements, I have prepared a very rough roadmap, which shows the main goals I have in mind to add in the upcoming months.

9a74bf7748227cef51c4a55fe2ce13880648980f.png

I have not decided yet on how to roll out future releases. One way could be extending the demo to some extent, another could be a closed beta branch and then there's of course paid Early Access... We'll see about that!

Your Feedback!

If you want to participate in the development of Blades & Tails make sure to join our growing Discord server. It's the best place to chat and share feedback about the game and your individual adventure! I'd love to see you there and get in touch.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1768780/view/3120432756077808048

DevLog: Combat & Magic
Hey everyone!

In this devlog I want to show you some of the things that I have planned for improved combat and what's the state of the magic implementation.

New Damage Types

So after fixing the most important issues that people reported over the demo, my primary goal is now to add more strategic depth to the combat gameplay and to set the ground for interesting magic abilities.

I've started by adding more damage types and their related resistances to the game. Besides physical damage there's gonna be elemental damage and magical damage. I've struggled a bit if I should add more fine-grained types like fire, cold, lightning, etc... but for now I don't want to add more than I feel necessary.

Once that was done and resistances were implemented into armor generation, I moved on to the more fun side and created new skill effects.

New Skill Effects

First of all an AoE with a configurable "danger indicator" so the player gets warned to better step out of this area to avoid massive damage.

9ee91292394bbf1701b9640d782c3d3db563ed28.gif

Then I added slow moving projectiles that you need to avoid by estimating their rough line direction.

dc39eba96def7e85e3b9c70564991fca3ab69b70.gif

This probably helps to keep Riff on his toes! ;)

Next I worked on destructible/explosive environment and ended up with the golden standard in game design: Explosive red barrels!

9b1f2db3281ab0d849f7e8f366dcf9021c7d72cf.gif

As you can see it's also possible to knock enemies into them and enjoy the consequences.

A new enemy type will also join insect forces: The self-destructive Poison Bee!
You really want to make sure not to end up in melee combat with this one... But hey, there's a second weapon set for a reason!

daf68f27a5be0d0633d41ecb78b934e0d4f1fef2.gif

Okay, that was a lot of animated impressions from the ongoing development. I hope you like all the upcoming changes so far. I would love to read some comments about your thoughts on this.

And if you want to see much more of those in-dev snippets you're very welcome to join our growing Discord server.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
DevLog: Rivers & Dungeons
Hey everyone!

Time for a new devlog! Since the last update I'm pretty much focusing on more overworld and dungeon variety.

Overworld

In terms of the overworld this means (for now) adding rivers and lakes!
And where there are rivers, there need to be bridges :)
So that's what I already added in a first iteration.

water-bridge.gif

There's also shallow water which is walkable and has no negative effect.
It may be used later for other types of biomes.

shallow-water.gif

My primary goal with rivers was to have more natural barriers to shape the game world in general.
But I soon realized that it would add a lot to the strategic gameplay to utilize water in combat as well. So I allowed pushing enemies into it.

push-into-water.gif

While in (deep) water enemies receive elemental damage every turn.

Oh, and the player makes no exception here.
I imagine settling a bunch of Ram Bugs near larger lakes will be a lot of fun..? :D

New Dungeons

Another part of the game that still requires a lot of love are the dungeons.
Of course there are already cave-like dungeons, which work good enough in terms of the procedural generation algorithm (they just need more POIs). But what I yet have to tackle are actual room-based dungeons with corridors, traps, doors, hidden areas, and all that kind of interesting stuff.

What I have so far is an algorithm that generates rooms and corridors. I can define branches and secret areas in a basic way and for now this is a good foundation to progress a bit further with the actual mechanics I want to add.

Like doors (sprites are WIP):

dungeon-doors-wip.gif

... and switches/levers for doors and secret walls:

secret-wall-switch.gif

Like I said traps (and pressure plates?) will be added as well and with that the ability to detect and refuse or avoid them.

So there's still a lot to do in order to make dungeon crawling more exciting and meaningful.
I want this to be a thrilling and rewarding part of the game so if you don't hear anything from me for a while I'm probably still "down there" and setting things up for your underground adventure! :)

If you want to see much more of those in-dev snippets you're very welcome to join our growing Discord server.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You play Riff, a clever member of the tribe of foxes.

:hmmm: Inherit The Earth was way more influential than you'd expect it to be.

It's funny, I really liked that game as a kid because of the well-drawn animal characters and the medieval-meets-modern aesthetic, and only as an adult I found out it has... a significant furry fanbase :negative:

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
You play Riff, a clever member of the tribe of foxes.

:hmmm: Inherit The Earth was way more influential than you'd expect it to be.

It's funny, I really liked that game as a kid because of the well-drawn animal characters and the medieval-meets-modern aesthetic, and only as an adult I found out it has... a significant furry fanbase :negative:
lmao furries worked on the game itself

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I had no idea furries were even a thing as a kid, stop ruining my childhood memories :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom