Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Of Reviewers and NWN...

wizard

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
You should try Fallout, it's a damned good game. I half way suspect that Fallout was the inspiration for Geneforge, at least in a few areas.

All right, I will try this if this is so good!
I think I will get Fallout on thursday!!!

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Fallout actually uses it's speech skill more than Geneforge did. However, there are a lot of the same uses for them. For example, you can use speech in Fallout to beat the game, if you have all the facts and your skill is high enough. You could do the same thing in Geneforge, with both Trajkov and the evil Shaper guy. I never can remember his name.

Fallout's tactical combat is superb though. It's probably the best tactical combat in any CRPG I can name, unless you consider Jagged Alliance 2 to be a CRPG. I waffle on whether it is one, myself. Depends on when you ask me. ;)

Rayt

Liturgist
I sincerely regret I bought this game when it came out. 60 euros (about 60 dollars) is way too much for this game, which is mediocre at best. The graphics are in some aspects fantastic (spell effects, combat animations, character modelling) and in some aspects horrible (tile sets, how they handles mutliple levels in height...you can see this very clearly when you walk around in the 'hills'). Sound is okay I guess, music is well done, but not epic or 'primal'.
The story was just one big disappointment. I was expecting soemhting in the line of BG2, but it was far from it. It was like it was a mod made by some fans in their free time instead of a real game that took 5 years of programming by a professional company. So after completing it I felt sorta ripped off. And I blame the game review sites.

Well, I recently started playing multiplayer NWN with some people I know from the #Blackisle chat and that has been quite fun. But in the end, it doesn't justify 60 euros, especially since I'm not a modder, thus the whole Aurora toolset thingy just goes straight pass me.

Spazmo

Erudite
I totally agree with Rayt. When I was playing NWN, I kept getting the feeling (based on the general sloppy, repetitive nature of the campaign) that they had just slapped this together with one night, three guys, and a bottle of tequila and that they were too busy making sure the goblin's armor reflects the lights.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom