Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Of the Big Three, which is your favorite? (Fallout, PS:T, Arcanum)

Which one is the greatest (listed in chronological order of release)?

• Fallout

• Planescape: Torment

• Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magicka Obscura

Results are only viewable after voting.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Yes, here we go again.

This is not the thread to dispute which if any of the Holy Trinity here at RPG Codex isn't so holy in your opinion. It is established and carved-in-granite fact that Fallout, Planescape: Torment and Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magicka Obscura are the three greatest computer roleplaying games of all time, at least as established by years -- no, decades -- of hard-fought and bloody conflict within these halls. Do not mock or defy that which has already been set forth before you.

Let us, rather, try to choose one of the three as rising above the others in your personal pantheon.

For, me, it's always been Fallout. Fallout was released first of the three, and it captured my imagination like no other game before it. I remember its bugs, I remember its quirkiness -- and its brown-ness -- but I remember it with fond admiration nevertheless.

Planescape: Torment certainly made an impression on me, but, like many of us here, it didn't de-throne Fallout despite its utter brilliance in design and execution. In fact, I've never completed PS:T to this day. Maybe, someday, I will.

Then there was Arcanum. This game was an absolute mess. It was so full of bugs on release that I recall abandoning it, hoping for patches to make its full playthrough a less painful venture. Oh, but what an incredibly imaginative and unique RPG it was.

I've recently started a fresh run of Arcanum. Using Drog's patch and knowing a little more what to expect out of the game this time, it's quickly forcing me to re-evaluate its position out of the top three in my mind. Fallout's place at the top might be in jeopardy, that's how impressive Arcanum's writing, dialog, reactivity, amazing openness, and general look and feel are.

Convince us why your choice of top dog belongs. What makes one of these three incredible games superior to the others in your view?

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Played them all a bit over 20 years ago. Really dug deep and finished them much, much later.

They were all amazing. Fantastic. Timeless.

Can't pick the best one.

Sry.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Why can’t I vote Fallout 1/2?

Arcanum might be better, but I haven’t played yet. I’ll change my vote accordingly in the future if need be. Planescape is down the line, but I plan to play it.

wishbonetail

Learned
So, most people here put these in top 3? What about Baldur's gate II? I would put it as number 1, but these three would be right after. But I could not choose the best out of them.
Because those three were the games where you could actually roleplay.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
If I had to be objective, I'd say Fallout 1 is the best game of the three, but my personal favorite all times is still Torment.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Arcanum. I made many different alts on this one. Favorite was the rogue who kept stealing shit and selling it back. Second was the cunt & high char/personality (i fucking forget now) with all her simps attending her.
Third is the mechlord.
Fourth magi dude.
Fifth the average SMASH & KILL every fucker I can. Maybe get dog.. maybe not.
Sixth was sheepfucker orc. What else do orcs do but fuck?

yeah, i guess you could do that in fallout. PS.... eh.... i can't recall if i could fuck sucubi or not or hurl the skull like a weapon.

Last edited:

Humbaba

Arcane
Arcanum is terrible, Fallout didn't age well at all and PST contains the single best written companions, story and realised setting in video gaming to date, so uh, I don't think this is an even contest, buckaroo :smug:

Disciple

Savant
Fallout > Arcanum > PS:T (the gap between the last two games being bigger than the one between the first two)

By the way, I'm not sure if the brand "Big Three" of RPGs should be used to refer to these three games. Before clicking this thread I assumed this would be a poll about the long-running, genre-defining franchises of Wizardry, Ultima and either Might & Magic or Gold Box.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom