Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Of trenchcoats, vampire and auto-aim: Let's play Nocturne

lightbane

Arcane
it.jpg

Twinkle

Liturgist
ACT 3 - WINDY CITY MASSACRE

PART 1 - MEAN STREETS

Chicago, 1933

This act begins directly in the briefing room.

no09-01.jpg

no09-02.jpg

face-stranger.jpg
Big deal. The Mob hits somebody every night these days.

face-colonel.jpg
The thing is, we got a report from Elliot Ness's office two months ago that Campelli was killed in a shoot out.

face-stranger.jpg
A clerical error. Between the Feds and the Chicago cops, I'm sure names and faces get mixed up all the time.

face-colonel.jpg
We don't think so. We have a new informant in Chicago: Vincenzo Gasparro. He goes by the name Icepick. He's been telling us the same thing. Icepick saw a man who died two weeks ago gunning down members of a rival family last night.

face-stranger.jpg
You're saying the Mafia is employing the undead now? That's ridiculous.

no09-03.jpg

face-colonel.jpg
According to our intelligence, he's spent the last twenty years developing technology to raise the dead.

face-stranger.jpg
Like Frankenstein? You're joking.

face-colonel.jpg
I'm quite serious. If the Mafia has found a way to recycle their dead, even those who have been ripped to shreds, then it's out job to deal with it.

face-stranger.jpg
Frankenstein?

face-colonel.jpg
Frankenstein was fiction, Stranger. This is reality. Our own scientists are on the brink of similar technology. If we relied solely on "modern" medicine, half our operatives would be dead. Yourself included. We can revive a person who-by all known science-is dead, but even we can't do what Loathring is doing. If Capone's scientist has found a way to revive a man from virtually any degree of death, we're all in serious trouble.

Stranger is still sceptical about the whole thing.

face-stranger.jpg
His undead army of evil will walk over the face of the earth.

face-colonel.jpg
This is serious business, Stranger. What happens when the cops' bullets are useless against criminals? What happens when this savage abuse of nature spreads beyond Chicago.

face-stranger.jpg
If you say so.

face-colonel.jpg
Icepick has infiltrated Capone's gang. He'll meet you at Pier 59 in Chicago. Icepick claimed to be on the verge of discovering exactly what Capone is up to, but we've lost contact with him.

Someone knocks at the door. Colonel's speech is briefly interrupted.

face-colonel.jpg
General Biggs! Do come in.

no09-04.jpg

face-colonel.jpg
No, no, you're right on time, as usual. Stranger, this is General Biggs. He will be acting as our liaison to the United States Army, so he will be popping in from time to time. Our relationship is mainly information sharing; however, if the need arises, he's the man who can get us an armed regiment to aid us.

face-stranger.jpg
I thought the whole point of Spookhouse was to keep our information closely guarded.

face-colonel.jpg
The General's men are fiercely loyal to him, and if they ever assist us, they will deny it to their deaths. Our secrets will not be compromised. We're all fighting for the same cause. General Biggs, I would like you to meet our top operative. General Biggs, this is the Stranger.

face-general.jpg
"The Stranger" huh? You aren't hiding something that we should know, are you soldier?

face-stranger.jpg
Nothing that need concern you.

face-general.jpg
Hrm... Well, the Colonel and I go way back, so if he says something, I take his word for it. And he tells me you're the best there is. It's a pleasure meeting a man that works so hard to protect our country.

face-stranger.jpg
Nice to meet you as well.

face-colonel.jpg
Not to cut this short, but the General is pressed for time, and he and I need to discuss some issues. So we'll bring this meeting to a close. Watch your back, Stranger.

face-general.jpg
Good luck, soldier.

Stranger is left alone in the dark office.

no09-05.jpg

Let's examine the message board. Sometimes it offers hints at Stranger's future assignments.

no09-06.jpg

Yikes! :what:

Maybe other operatives will offer some help?

no09-07.jpg

No go. Stranger leaves the Spookhouse.

no09-08.jpg

He arrives to the pier.

no09-09.jpg

Tall, bruised brute with numerous stitch marks calls him.

no09-10.jpg

face-icepick.jpg
"The world is a dark place."

face-stranger.jpg
You must be Icepick.

face-icepick.jpg
Uh, yeah, but that ain't the password.

face-stranger.jpg
Don't start with me. Spookhouse sent me. Leave it at that.

face-icepick.jpg
Okay, now that we got that squared away, what should I call you?

face-stranger.jpg
Stranger.

face-icepick.jpg
Eh, I've heard weirder names.

As Icepick steps closer Stranger readies his twin pistols.

no09-11.jpg

face-stranger.jpg
You're one of them.

face-icepick.jpg
"Them" who?

face-stranger.jpg
One of those re-animated monsters.

face-icepick.jpg
Yeah, I was dead. That crazy German brought me back to life. You gotta problem with that?

face-stranger.jpg
Yes. I make it a habit to kill monsters, not help them.

face-icepick.jpg
Hey, first off, I might look hideous, but I'm trying to stop this from happening to anyone else. I didn't ask for this. :neveraskedforthis:

face-icepick.jpg
And second, you got it the wrong way around. I'm not asking for help. You need my help.

face-stranger.jpg
And you didn't think you should maybe mention your condition to the Colonel?

face-icepick.jpg
You guys are monster hunters. I figured no one would get sent if you knew a monster made the report. There's some freaky shit going down here, and I have information that can help you stop it. Take it or leave it.

face-stranger.jpg
What have you got for me?

face-icepick.jpg
There's a speakeasy down the block called the Vendome. It's behind a pet shop. Use this pass to get in.

Icepick gives the pass.

face-icepick.jpg
I was supposed to meet a newspaper reporter there, but I don't exactly fit in, do I? I told him I'd send someone else in my place. He's expecting you right now. Go to the bar and order a Manhattan. My reporter friend will find you. Capone's ordered patrols throughout the area, so stay low as you walk around here. Stick to the alleys wherever you can.

Stranger a garage further down the pier. Empty.

no09-12.jpg

Mean streets of windy city greet Stranger with rain of fire from rooftops. Gotta keep moving.

no09-13.jpg

Cars filled with mobsters are cruising around, shooting all strangers on sight. This is one of the most annoying parts of the game, because even if you kill all mobsters that jump from a car a new will arrive soon in less than a minute - they respawn infinitely.

no09-14.jpg

no09-15.jpg

Better follow Icepick's advice and stick to alleyways.

The first alleyway I try is a dead end. Better luck next time.

no09-16.jpg

Next alleyway to the left is not much better - it leads to an empty, abandoned building.

no09-17.jpg

no09-18.jpg

Patrolling frankenmobsters can pursue Stranger inside buildings, but their numerical advantage is nullified.

no09-19.jpg

Stranger scavenges medical supplies in several abandoned shops.

no09-20.jpg

no09-21.jpg

This neighborhood feels like a warzone. It's obvious that "normal" populace left it long time ago.

no09-22.jpg

That's the right alleyway, just behind the pet shop where Stranger killed the last mobster.

no09-23.jpg

Stairs leading to the club are guarded by a goon. As soon as Stranger approaches he steps forward.

no09-24.jpg

16.gif
Let's see your pass.

Stranger demonstrates the pass.

16.gif
Welcome to the Vendome.

no09-25.jpg

no09-26.jpg

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Hmmm. It is true that this game being so extremely dark makes it hard to make out stuff in screencaps sometimes. Any chance you could brighten it up?

Enjoyable, regardless. Gunning down zombie gangsters with your tommy gun, yeh!

Morkar Left

I think it loses a bit of atmosphere when you consider it takes part in a big city. The other locations worked better so far.

The whole game would made up for a good movie or better as a TV series.

no09-06.jpg

:thumbsup:

Twinkle

Liturgist
Darth Roxor said:
can't see shit cap'n :(

The world is a dark place bro, but i'll fiddle with in-game gamma settings a bit.

ACT 3, PART 2 - MAN-SIZED HOLES

Stranger is inside the lounge.

no10-01.jpg

The atmosphere inside is top notch: few visitors are sitting behind the tables, band is playing, and singer is, well, singing.

no10-02.jpg

Close-ups of low-poly model with no facial animations was a bad idea though.

no10-03.jpg

Fun fact: voice actress performed it via telephone, which explains weird sound quality.

The full song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr6B2gYD_f0

No time for leisure. Let's get back to business.

no10-04.jpg

no10-bartender.jpg

face-stranger.jpg
Yes. With a Scotch chaser.

These words draw attention of a quiet, inconspicuous man on the left. He gets closer.

no10-05.jpg

face-journalist.jpg
Hello. Mind if I join you?

face-stranger.jpg
Depends.

face-journalist.jpg
Icepick sent you, right? I've got information you need.

He invites stranger to the nearest table.

no10-06.jpg

no10-07.jpg

face-journalist.jpg
They took his film to the theatre. Everything you need to know is on that reel. Something sinister is going on over there. I'm afraid to take the story to my editor.

Suddenly doors burst open and a group of goon start shooting at everything that moves. Several bullets cuts the journalist down.

no10-08.jpg

Stranger draws out his newly found tommy gun and retaliates.

no10-09.jpg

no10-10.jpg

No other survivors left - mobsters were thorough.

no10-11.jpg

no10-12.jpg

no10-13.jpg

With no other lead Stranger begins him search for a movie theatre that unlucky journalist mentioned.

no10-14.jpg

It's pretty easy to find, but the front doors are sealed and endless stream of mobsters guard it ferociously. Maybe Icepick's brute force can help where bullets are useless.

no10-15.jpg

no10-16.jpg

face-stranger.jpg
I need to get into the theatre.

face-icepick.jpg
No way. That place is locked up tighter than a tomb. They still show movies there, but you've gotta be connected to get in. More connected that I am, anyway. I've got a buddy in there named Mo, but he just runs he concession stand.

face-stranger.jpg
There's got to be some back way in.

face-icepick.jpg
Maybe underground. The sewer system goes through the theatre, but I can't fit through the manholes.

face-stranger.jpg
How do I get into the sewers?

face-icepick.jpg
There's an entrance back here somewhere.... Here, behind this grate.

His mighty arms bend two bars seemingly without effort. Even Stranger is positively impressed.

no10-17.jpg

face-stranger.jpg
Well done.

He squeezes in and tries to lift the manhole cover.

no10-18.jpg

face-stranger.jpg
I can't get a grip on this thing.

face-icepick.jpg
Don't look at me. If you can't get your little fingers under it, there's no way these mitts will get in there. We're gonna need a manhole key to pry it open. I think I know where to get one. The Waterworks building is on the other side of this block.

face-stranger.jpg
All right, follow me.

So Icepick is now Stranger's temporary companion and sort of bodyguard.

no10-19.jpg

He lacks any form of ranged attack, but he can brutally tear mobsters apart in close combat.

no10-20.jpg

Waterworks in not all that far from the destroyed night club.

no10-21.jpg

Door is locked.

no10-22.jpg

Again Icepick removes the obstacle.

no10-23.jpg

face-stranger.jpg
Not bad.

no10-24.jpg

It's guarded by undead mobsters. Icepick just rip through them, Stranger's involvement isn't necessary.

no10-25.jpg

However, one guy is shooting through the window. Auto-aiming doesn't work on him, so Stranger is forced to stand in the open, soaking bullets until aiming reticuea sloooowly catches the baddy. Great design here.

no10-26.jpg

Icepick once again demonstrates his extreme smashing skills on the door that leads to the basement.

no10-27.jpg

Three short and accurate bursts cut down goons that took their refuge there.

no10-28.jpg

Here's the quest item.

no10-29.jpg

no10-30.jpg

On a way back mobsters try to put up an ambush

no10-31.jpg

no10-32.jpg

no10-33.jpg

Via alleyways they return to the manhole.

no10-34.jpg

no10-35.jpg

no10-36.jpg

With key in hands opening the hatch poses no problem.

no10-37.jpg

:what: Wait, dude, how did you manage to get past the grate? I can only assume it's a bug.

face-stranger.jpg
Just as well...

face-icepick.jpg
I'll try to find some other way into the theatre and meet you there.

Stranger descends into dark depths of the sewer complex.

no10-38.jpg

no10-39.jpg

Twinkle

Liturgist
ACT 3, PART 3 - BEHIND THE CURTAIN

Stranger emerges from the sewer in an abandoned, decrepit basement.

no11-01.jpg

There is nowhere to go but up.

no11-02.jpg

Narrow corridors are being patrolled by undead mobsters.

no11-03.jpg

Some of them have no shame and shamble around naked.

no11-04.jpg

Getting higher and higher.

no11-05.jpg

no11-06.jpg

Finally we reach the theater proper. Reel shows random clips from the game's intro.

no11-07.jpg

Let's explore further.

no11-08.jpg

no11-09.jpg

no11-10.jpg

The marquee room is locked. Need to find a key.

no11-11.jpg

OK, maybe Icepick's connection, the attendant, knows more.

no11-12.jpg

no11-add1.jpg

no11-add2.jpg

no11-add3.jpg

no11-add4.jpg

Unfortunately for him, mobsters overheard the conversation.

16.gif
Hey, you! What the hell!?

RIP another informant.

no11-13.jpg

Thinking about it there was no point in running a concession stand altogether, it's not like normal people can get in. :M

With south balcony and first floor explored Stranger rises through the stairs to check the south balcony.

no11-14.jpg

no11-15.jpg

Stranger find the projection room. But the reel he needs isn't there.

no11-16.jpg

no11-17.jpg

no11-18.jpg

Here's the key from the marquee room. Developers surely enjoyed fedexing players around.

no11-19.jpg

Hitting switch there said room reveals a secret passage in the room where Stranger found a key. Full circle, FFS!

no11-20.jpg

no11-21.jpg

Useless reels of film are stored in this room.

no11-22.jpg

OK, that's what Stranger came for.

no11-23.jpg

no11-24.jpg

Let's watch this puppy.

no11-25.jpg

The image is murky and grainy but still good enough to depict the process of creating frankenmobsters at some underground facility.

no11-26.jpg

face-stranger.jpg
The Colonel was right about the Frankenstein crap.

Surprise!

no11-27.jpg

no11-28.jpg

face-stranger.jpg
Who the hell are you?

face-smiley.jpg
They call me Smiley. I'm Capone's clean up man, and you're the garbage.

So this starts the second "pure" bossfight in the game. Smiley is immune to gunfire and if Stranger gets in his melee range Smiley just collargrabs him and gives a lethal anus pounding with his mighty fists. The only tactic consists of running around in circles and shooting regular frankenmobsters with tommyguns. There is also a sniper with an elephant gun (!) on the balcony but his aim is terrible and as long as Stranger is on the move he poses no threat whatsoever.

no11-29.jpg

no11-30.jpg

It's only a matter of time before Stranger runs out of ammo.

no11-31.jpg

BRO! :) He kills the sniper and throws elephant gun down.

no11-32.jpg

no11-33.jpg

FUCK YES!

no11-34.jpg

Four consecutive shots gib Smiley to pieces. Phew.

no11-35.jpg

no11-36.jpg

no11-37.jpg

They discuss current situation as they move towards a back entrance.

face-stranger.jpg
I think you've blown your cover.

face-icepick.jpg
Yeah, they were starting to get curious anyway.

face-stranger.jpg
Did you see that film of Capone's factory?

face-icepick.jpg
It's a bad situation. When they brought me back, it took them weeks to stitch me together. Now it looks like they can crank out ten guys like me in a day.

face-stranger.jpg
We have to stop him. Do you know where that factory is?

face-icepick.jpg
North of here, I think. There's been a lot of activity up there lately.

face-stranger.jpg
You think? I thought you had inside information. I thought that's where they made you.

face-icepick.jpg
Hey, I was just a prototype. They built me by hand in a lab across town. I've never even been inside that factory. I think there's an underground access to the warehouse that's beside the factory. I've seen people going in and out of the manhole behind this theatre. It's right out here.

Icepick kicks open the back door and notices a group of mobsters.

no11-38.jpg

face-icepick.jpg
Damn! They've got the place surrounded. Quick, climb up to the roof. See if you can find another way out. I'll hold these guys off.

face-stranger.jpg
You're sure?

face-icepick.jpg
Go!

:salute: As Stranger climbs up floor gets covered with blood and torn limbs. Whatever ugly cadaver you may be, Icepick, you still remain a true BRO.

no11-39.jpg

Stranger gets higher and higher.

no11-40.jpg

no11-41.jpg

no11-42.jpg

no11-43.jpg

no11-44.jpg

And here's the rooftop exit

no11-45.jpg

no11-46.jpg

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
no11-36.jpg

Heh, this looks almost exactly like one scene in Bloodrayne. Specifically, the one with the nazi priest on a moving panzerpodium with a heavy MG. It also had lots of horribly dismembered corpses along a carpet, between rows of seats. These people knew how to make bloody scenes, alright.

Twinkle

Liturgist
These people knew how to make bloody scenes, alright.

Except it isn't a scripted scene. These are mobsters I killed while dodging Smiley dude.

Really, gore in this game puts next-gen strawberry jam and weightless gibs to shame.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Project: Eternity
I could swear I saw some of the character models in an old Blair Witch game I played aeons ago(specially the bald guy with the eyepatch). The company that did this game must have recycled resources or something.

I think it loses a bit of atmosphere when you consider it takes part in a big city. The other locations worked better so far.

The whole game would made up for a good movie or better as a TV series.

Yes it would. Gory X-files set in the 30's :thumbsup:

Twinkle

Liturgist
Blair Witch games run on the same engine, and they sort of take place in the same "universe". In fact Vol 1 was developed by Terminal Reality too and has one of the supplementary chars from Nocturne as protagonist. That's why you see Spookhouse agents having cameos in it.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Project: Eternity
Oh, so that is it. Should have googled.

How is the gameplay on this, btw? I remember the Blair Witch game I played(the one were the player character was a lady with a hat) had terrible controls. Also, maybe it is bad memory being that this was many years ago, but the game oozed atmosphere and the story was cool up to the point where I stopped playing.

Twinkle

Liturgist
ACT 3, PART 4 - WAREHOUSE

We start at the rooftop.

no12-01.jpg

There is no way climb down, tho. Maybe the water tower will offer some alternative passage.

no12-02.jpg

Pushing a plank over the edge creates an improvised bridge.

no12-03.jpg

no12-04.jpg

Stranger crosses perilous gap.

no12-05.jpg

no12-06.jpg

And finally reaches the street level.

no12-07.jpg

Icepick, dearest of all my friends!

no12-08.jpg

face-icepick.jpg
Hey, look what I found. It's a flame-thrower. You'll have to find some fuel for it, though. The rejuvenation chemicals they use are extremely flammable. Those freaks will go up like Roman candles with this thing. If you really want to screw Capone's game, hit a few of the chemical canisters at his warehouse with this and watch it blow. You can level the whole goddamn place.

face-stranger.jpg
You coming alone?

face-icepick.jpg
Are you kidding? I'm just as flammable as the rest of those monsters. I'm not going to be anywhere near that place when you blow it up.

face-stranger.jpg
Your assistance has been quite useful.

face-icepick.jpg
You know, you are the friendliest guy I've ever met, but you're all right, Stranger. Before I died, I worked with some guys I thought I trusted. I won't make that mistake again. Even though you don't like me, I've got the feeling that I can trust you. I'm glad we can put a stop to Capone's deranged plan to make more monsters like me. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Stranger opens a manhole and descends.

no12-09.jpg

no12-10.jpg

So, warehouse. One of the worst and least detailed levels in the game. Boring maze with confusing camera angles. Serves no purpose in the story and is seemingly put in only to showcase physics and particle effects.

no12-11.jpg

no12-12.jpg

Hmm, fuel. Now I can "playtest" the flamethrower.

no12-13.jpg

Well, quite frankly, it's somewhat underwhelming. It doesn't kill enemies instantly, instead it deals burning damage over time. What's worse is that Stranger can be set on fire if monster grabs him which spells instant death no matter how many HP Stranger has. For regular mobs I'll stick to tommyguns.

no12-14.jpg

no12-15.jpg

Mobsters cut off way back by blowing up barrels.

no12-16.jpg

no12-17.jpg

Well, it will backfire on them, oh yes.

no12-18.jpg

Nothing to do but watch barrels explode. :M

no12-19.jpg

no12-20.jpg

no12-21.jpg

Doorway blocked. Oh well.

no12-22.jpg

Despite appearances to the contrary this level consists of a single narrow corridor with several forks that lead nowhere. Pretty shameful after fairly non-linear design of previous maps.

no12-23.jpg

no12-24.jpg

no12-25.jpg

no12-26.jpg

no12-27.jpg

End of line.

no12-28.jpg

SURPRISE! Somehow Smiley managed to rebuild himself, got taller and fatter and grew another pair of arms. One of the biggest plotholes in the game that never got answered.

no12-29.jpg

face-smiley.jpg
It's not that easy to kill a man who's already dead.

face-stranger.jpg
Very well.

However in this fight flamer truly shines, both literally and metaphorically. It may be the only place in the game where it proves its usefulness but boy I'm glad I have it.

no12-30.jpg

Burn baby burn!

no12-31.jpg

And this stupid level is concluded.

no12-32.jpg

no12-33.jpg

Twinkle

Liturgist
ACT 3, PART 5 - VATS

So after lots of toing and froing Stranger discovers the source of all evil.

no13-01.jpg

It is heavily guarded. Undead mobsters here are in a pretty raw state, not looking like humans at all.

no13-02.jpg

The overall layout reminds of a certain post nuclear role-playing game, except without art-deco vibe.

no13-03.jpg

no13-04.jpg

Yeah, Tesla coils are present too. Mindless reborn zombies often don't have any weapons and they charge in straight line. It's a death trap for them.

no13-05.jpg

Stitched corpses arrive via conveyor then they are dipped in one of the huge green vats when they gain a second life.

no13-06.jpg

Anyway there is no way to stop the conveyor here. Only a truly democratic solution aka blowing shit up can fix this.

no13-07.jpg

no13-08.jpg

Hmm, OK. Let's dance.

no13-09.jpg

no13-10.jpg

Local button awesome.

no13-11.jpg

Notice that in reality it's a lever rather than valve. The level must have been assembled in a terrible rush and it shows.

Another "valve" is visible in the background.

no13-12.jpg

no13-13.jpg

Let stuff go boom.

no13-14.jpg

Turning both "valves" off triggers a chain explosive reaction and spawns assload of mobsters out of thin air. Need to get out of here ASAP.

no13-15.jpg

It's a merciless race against the clock. One second of delay spells instant doom so no fighting.

no13-16.jpg

no13-17.jpg

Almost reached the exit.

no13-18.jpg

WHAT... THE...

no13-19.jpg

face-stranger.jpg
I see you're not smiling anymore.

face-smiley.jpg
This time, you die!

No, it's your turn muthafucka. Attacking him directly is pointless due to harsh time constraints. Just shoot catwalk support and...

no13-20.jpg

no13-21.jpg

Stranger dives back to avoid lethal fall while Smiley is dropped in the huge vat below.

no13-22.jpg

Good. Fucking. Riddance.

no13-23.jpg

The final stretch. Stranger demonstrates his awesome hovering skills and reaches the door in safety.

no13-24.jpg

no13-25.jpg

no13-26.jpg

And this is how it ends. Yep, "rushed" and "half-passed" doesn't even describe it. At first I thought I accidentally missed some cutscene but no. No chance to get the mad kraut scientist or Capone himself. Absolutely nothing.

IMO they should've scrapped the entire act altogether.

END OF ACT 3.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Stranger demonstrates his awesome hovering skills and reaches the door in safety.

:lol:

IMO they should've scrapped the entire act altogether.

Yeah, from what I remember of playing Nocturne (which was veeery long ago), the third act was easily the worst. Starting with a meh premise of ZOMBIES!!!, then going through respawning mobsters, 'I'll get you yet Shepard!' constantly returning boss monster and generic levels it was really boring as hell.

Twinkle

Liturgist
ACT 4: THE HOUSE ON THE EDGE OF HELL

PART 1 - FOUL PLAY

France, 1935

We begin at the Spookhouse where Stranger argues with secretary over bureaucratic Spookhouse practices.

no14-01.jpg

face-stranger.jpg
This is ridiculous.

face-secretary.jpg
Everyone has to say the password, Stranger. Even you.

face-stranger.jpg
An intruder would be dead by now.

face-secretary.jpg
Rules, Stranger. You think I enjoy sitting in this little box all day?

face-stranger.jpg
Your enjoyment does not concern me.

face-secretary.jpg
The password, Stranger.

face-stranger.jpg
By this point, I could have killed you and flipped the switch to open the door myself.

face-secretary.jpg
You wouldn't do that... Would you?

Stranger sighs.

face-stranger.jpg
"The world is a dark place."

face-secretary.jpg
"Who will protect the world from darkness?"

face-stranger.jpg
"We will." ... after we play our stupid games.

Finally she flips the switch.

no14-02.jpg

face-secretary.jpg
Have a nice day.

face-stranger.jpg
What's left of it...

no14-03.jpg

The Colonel left his office to greet Stranger personally. The mission in hand must extremely important. Also it bears to mention that our good old undead friend Icepick joined the ranks of Spookhouse operatives and teamed with Rayne Svetlana. Strange couple, to say at least.

no14-04.jpg

Stranger follows.

no14-05.jpg

General Biggs is already standing in the briefing room.

face-general.jpg
Greetings, soldier.

face-stranger.jpg
General Biggs.

face-general.jpg
I see you two have a mission to discuss, so I will take my leave, now. It was good to see you again Hapscomb.

face-general.jpg
Stranger.

face-colonel.jpg
Do you have time after this briefing, perhaps?

face-general.jpg
No. Unfortunately, I have a meeting at thirteen-hundred hours in Pennsylvania.

face-colonel.jpg
Just as well, I have an immense amount of paperwork to attend to.

face-general.jpg
I know what you mean.

face-colonel.jpg
Thanks for stopping by, General; it's always a pleasure to speak with you.

face-general.jpg
Good bye, Colonel. Good luck on your mission, soldier.

Never liked the general. There was something fishy about his manners (or maybe just bad voice acting), but he's one of myriad of characters who pop in and then disappear never to be heard again during the act.

no14-06.jpg

They are left alone.

face-colonel.jpg
Do you remember Hamilton Killian?

face-stranger.jpg
He was an operative just before I came to Spookhouse.

face-colonel.jpg
That's right. He served Spookhouse from 1909 to 1922. He's retired now, living in France. He contacted me recently requesting help. He says that a graveyard near his estate outside of Paris has been disturbed by supernatural activity.

face-stranger.jpg
Killian was supposedly the best in his day. What could possibly be a problem for him?

face-colonel.jpg
He didn't offer much detail in his letter, but apparently the phenomena occurring there is even more than even he can handle. He has requested that I send Spookhouse's best monster-hunter.

face-stranger.jpg
Me.

face-colonel.jpg
Who else?

Stranger walks away.

no14-07.jpg

no14-08.jpg

Some time later, at Killian's mansion.

no14-09.jpg

face-killian.jpg
Welcome to my home. I'm glad I can still rely on my old friends at Spookhouse. My name is Hamilton Killian. I hear I'm to call you "Stranger".

face-stranger.jpg
Yes. Colonel Hapscomb speaks highly of you.

face-killian.jpg
It's nice to know that I am remembered. The Colonel is a good man.

face-stranger.jpg
So what's the situation?

face-killian.jpg
A couple of months ago, one of my groundskeepers disappeared without a trace. While searching the grounds, I found that some of the corpses in the nearby graveyard had risen. And smaller Imp-like demons were running rampant. I took those creatures down, but a couple of nights later, they returned. And their numbers had increased. I returned periodically to keep them in check. To my dismay, they began regenerating faster and faster.

:M

face-killian.jpg
To be honest, going out night after night to deal with them was more of a nuisance than anything else. But now there are so many monsters that I fear for my property and my safety. As I said, I can take them down, but they just keep coming back...you might say I'm at my wit's end. I hate to have this incident sully my image, but I gave up my grandiose monster-hunting days long ago. The Colonel assures me that you are just the man to take care of my little... problem.

face-stranger.jpg
It won't be a problem for long.

face-killian.jpg
Splendid, old chap. I trust you will not be needing my assistance. I will remain here. Just follow this path, and it will take you to the graveyard. Happy hunting.

And hunting he did. Note the shadows that moving clouds cast. Bioware told us that you need DX11 to achieve that effect.

no14-10.jpg

Stranger reaches the graveyard.

no14-11.jpg

Act 4 is by far my favorite area in the game. It consists of only 2 maps, but the latter one is one of the most detailed and puzzle-heavy levels in the game. What I like about it is that it mixes action with puzzle solving way better than previous acts, where it's all shooting with some switch hunting near the end.

But I digress. Act 4 introduces demonic enemies. Here you see imps which are the weakest lot. However, they are fairly annoying pests, because they tend to jump and "hug" Stranger preventing him from moving and shooting. The only way to get rid of them is mashing spacebar furiously. :M Also, they are fairly bulletspongy and due to their small frame auto-aim often gets wonky if they are close.

no14-12.jpg

no14-13.jpg

One major flaw with this level is that you to find three keys that fuckers snatched. It's highly possible that dropped key will clip into ground and some object. In that case reloading is the only option. But I'm lucky this time.

Stranger discovers badly mangled corpse of the groundskeeper.

no14-14.jpg

face-stranger.jpg
This must be Killian's groundkeeper.

He checks his pockets.

face-stranger.jpg
Damn. No keys. Those damn imps must have done something with them. I've gotta find them.

Another type of enemy you can encounter at the graveyard is skeletons. They have a specific quirk about them. Not only they are tough to take down - after a few seconds bones will reassemble. Reborn skeletons are faster and stronger. The more you "kill" them the harder to kill they become. Nicely subverts the whole "kills things first - ask questions later" motto of the game. Better just avoid them altogether - in their default state they are too slow to catch the Stranger.

no14-15.jpg

Stranger continues scouring through the graveyard killing every imp that stands in his way.

no14-16.jpg

no14-17.jpg

no14-18.jpg

Found all keys. Let's get back to the entrance. There are three crypts there: one big and two small ones opposite of each other. I open the eastern crypt first.

no14-19.jpg

Nothing you can do there yet but take notice of the symbol on the floor. Pretty obvious that the solution is to place ankh-shaped cross on the tombstone.

no14-20.jpg

Good thing I know where it is. I think I wasted at least half an hour searching for it first time I played the game, shifting camera angles certainly didn't help.

no14-21.jpg

Stranger installs it.

no14-22.jpg

no14-23.jpg

Perfect. Now the western crypt.

no14-24.jpg

Same deal as with the eastern crypt, except any generic cross will do.

no14-25.jpg

no14-26.jpg

However, nothing happens after placing onto a tombstone. Something is blocking moonlight.

no14-27.jpg

To solve this problem Stranger has to climb up on crypt's roof using strategically places vines.

no14-28.jpg

Yeah it was vines that blocked the window. Stranger rips them off.

no14-29.jpg

no14-30.jpg

Three altars rise from the ground.

no14-31.jpg

One crypt remains unexplored. I can't even deal with gargoyles that guard the entrance - no ammo :(

no14-32.jpg

Stranger discover the source of evil - the voodoo staff. It can't be destroyed by conventional means.

no14-33.jpg

face-stranger.jpg
A witch's staff? This is the source of the problem.

Stranger opens sarcophagus lid. A passage leading to the underground level is revealed.

no14-34.jpg

Walls are covered with blood and weird inscriptions.

no14-35.jpg

no14-36.jpg

face-stranger.jpg
With the light, cut the night
face-stranger.jpg
Forsee they need, do not exceed.

Well, this is pretty much identical to cross and tombstones puzzle: you need to make sure that shadow falls into specific shape described by a symbol on the wall.

no14-37.jpg

Done.

no14-38.jpg

Let's pull the lever nearby.

no14-39.jpg

Three wall panels slide down revealing several magical vessels.

no14-40.jpg

Stranger can't do anything with them yet.

no14-41.jpg

face-stranger.jpg

Fire and Water and Air of Dark Worth
In a room far beneath the earth
Find the marble tomb of birth
To an altar surrounded by graves
The destination of the three is paved
Forsee air consumed by hellish fire
And the liquid will douse the funeral pyre
Behold, leaving water with air is the only desire
If one destroyed, of those that remain
Replace to origin and resurrect again

Obviously this refers to vessels stored behind wall panels and three risen altars outside. Solving it is not as daunting as it seems as Stranger will complain "you're doing it wrong!" if you grab the wrong vessel.

no14-42.jpg

I have to run past gargoyles which is not a problem. The worst part is that some curious skeleton decides to investigate the crypt.

no14-43.jpg

no14-44.jpg

no14-45.jpg

Now air vessel.

no14-46.jpg

no14-47.jpg

So this is the trickiest part that took me some time to figure it out. Instead of running for water vessel you need to grab fire again and put it back at its original place.

no14-48.jpg

no14-49.jpg

Water.

no14-50.jpg

no14-51.jpg

And finally fire can be place on the altar as well.

no14-52.jpg

no14-53.jpg

After completing the ritual voodoo staff immediately explodes.

no14-54.jpg

And skellies fall part.

no14-55.jpg

no14-56.jpg

face-stranger.jpg
Black magic. Killian knows black magic. His little "monster problem" reeks of foul play. I think it's time to have a little chat with the old man.

Yeah let's collar grab old mofo.

no14-57.jpg

no14-58.jpg

face-stranger.jpg
Skip it, Killian. What's your game?

face-killian.jpg
I'm afraid I don't follow.

face-stranger.jpg
That was black magic raising those monsters. The same kind of magic you studied at Spookhouse.

face-killian.jpg
Very clever, Stranger. You will be a most worthy subject.

face-stranger.jpg
What is that supposed to mean?

A bolt of lightning strikes at Stranger rendering him unconscious.

no14-59.jpg

face-killian.jpg
Very worthy, indeed.

no14-60.jpg

no14-61.jpg

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
omg plot twist.

Stranger kind of jumped to conclusions there re:black magic. Good thing he was right. Too bad he's a zombie now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom